Cleveland: Hotels, Conventions, and Tourism News & Info

Guest Mov2Ohio

Um, wow....

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

^ Cleveland continues to fight far above its weight class for a city it's size no question. Not just in sports but in the Arts with a top five orchestra and art museum. Its pretty impressive. But back to sports and btw Cleveland is only one of fifteen city's that has the three major pro sport teams, NFL/MLB/NBA. Hockey is a distant fourth and soccer is not even on the radar at this point.

And how David Gilbert is not seriously being considered for mayor is beyond me. The guy has been killing it for years. He clearly has the talent to get things done and bring people together. I hope he is involved with keeping SW downtown.

Edited by freethink
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/18/2018 at 11:19 AM, YABO713 said:

My firm will block book rooms in Columbus days in which we have hearings and/or trials down there, I don't know of anyone that actually stays though. 

I think:

A) 50,000 students with parents and family

B) Being the seat of government

C) Having a stadium that draws 105,000 people 6x a year, not including concerts. 

D) Centralized testing location

really makes for a perfect storm there. 

B is the key here. Any and every conference that is local or or state government related takes place in Columbus (including anything related to k-12 education as well).

5 hours ago, freethink said:

^ Cleveland continues to fight far above its weight class for a city it's size no question. Not just in sports but in the Arts with a top five orchestra and art museum. Its pretty impressive. But back to sports and btw Cleveland is only one of fifteen city's that has the three major pro sport teams, NFL/MLB/NBA. Hockey is a distant fourth and soccer is not even on the radar at this point.

And how David Gilbert is not seriously being considered for mayor is beyond me. The guy has been killing it for years. He clearly has the talent to get things done and bring people together. I hope he is involved with keeping SW downtown.

I don’t think David wants to run for mayor.

plus Cleveland Scene would declare a fatwa

Edited by YABO713
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, freethink said:

Not just in sports but in the Arts with a top five orchestra and art museum. Its pretty impressive.

Don't forget Playhouse Square.  We all know about it being the second largest performing arts district in the country, but I just learned recently that we're also one of less than 10 cities in the country that can support long runs of touring Broadway shows due to our large season ticket holder base for the Broadway series.

6 hours ago, freethink said:

^ Cleveland continues to fight far above its weight class for a city it's size no question. Not just in sports but in the Arts with a top five orchestra and art museum. Its pretty impressive.

“Top five orchestra” is an understatement. The Cleveland Orchestra is generally considered (by a plurality of classical music critics) to be the best in the country and one of the world’s three greatest orchestras. Obviously arts critiques are subjective,  but this point is still my top bragging point on Cleveland. 

• Like 2

So Cleveland wins the 2021 NFL Draft!  We did great.  If the location will be at North Coast Harbor as being reported, think we can get that pedestrian bridge by April 2021?  What other projects will be complete by then, Lumen, Beacon, most Ohio City projects beginning today or later.  Opportunity Corridor?  Lets go!

So for National sporting events, I believe this puts the scorecard of Cleveland hosting as:

2019 MLB All Star Game

2020 NCAA Men’s March Madness 2nd Round
2021 NFL Draft
2022 NBA All Star Game

2024 NCAA Women’s Baksetball Final Four

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MuRrAy HiLL said:

So for National sporting events, I believe this puts the scorecard of Cleveland hosting as:

2019 MLB All Star Game

2020 NCAA Men’s March Madness 2nd Round
2021 NFL Draft
2022 NBA All Star Game

2024 NCAA Women’s Baksetball Final Four

You forgot the Browns 2020 Superb Owl watch party at Gund Arena Quicken Loans Arena Rocket Mortgage Field House

I'm so excited we got it....Its a HUGE event and a lot of out of towners......but its such a bad location to have it.  They have to look at what Nashville did, needs to be in the city core, not isolated at the lakefront

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, mack34 said:

I'm so excited we got it....Its a HUGE event and a lot of out of towners......but its such a bad location to have it.  They have to look at what Nashville did, needs to be in the city core, not isolated at the lakefront

It’s a gamble.  If the weather is nice and clear, a Lake Erie sunset on the back drop of the draft will be unmatched.  People can still go out and drink and party, we don’t really have a street like broadway where people can spill out of bars and watch the draft.  If they shut down east ninth from the lake to lakeside, had TVs, beer trucks, food trucks and relaxed laws for the weekend, it could work just fine.  People will still meander the city.  Chicago had its draft in grant park right on the waterfront

Edited by BelievelandD1

I think the malls are a much better location for the draft/party.

There's no way the harbor-mall bridge will even be under construction by then.

Edited by KJP
  • Like 2

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

On 4/13/2019 at 7:41 PM, roman totale XVII said:

^Same here. 

14 hours ago, jam40jeff said:

Don't forget Playhouse Square.  We all know about it being the second largest performing arts district in the country, but I just learned recently that we're also one of less than 10 cities in the country that can support long runs of touring Broadway shows due to our large season ticket holder base for the Broadway series.

Playhouse Square has done a good job of touting themselves as the nation's "second largest performing arts CENTER" (not "district") - or largest outside of NYC (#1 being Lincoln Center, not Broadway... since they carefully say center not disteict) - by loosely calling everything in PHS, 8 theaters or whatever, even unconnected theaters like the Hanna, part of the "center.." - and this is measured in total # of seats, nothing else. With that said they pretty much own that title though I know are you performing arts center in Dallas states they are. number two 

Also playhouse Square does currently lead the nation in number of season tickets sold to their Broadway series (46,000?) - meaning shows now playing minimum of three weeks to ensure that all season ticket holders plus individual ticket buyers can be accommodated. cities like Denver also have strong ticket bases while cities like Indianapolis or even Columbus, while boomtowns in so many ways, can hardly muster 5000-10000 subscribers most years, "Hamilton" years eexcepted, meaning some years they get Bway shows 1 or 2 years later years later than Cleveland, if at all.

However in other cities like Chicago and Los Angeles and San Francisco and DC shows do often play 1, 2, 3 month runs - or even years - and you're not part of distinct Broadway series so they attract for more people but those cities are huge and after that tear it's pretty much Cleveland that has shows for the longest and first when possible

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

One thing I noticed from the MLB All Star game, no one I talked to really left Downtown Cleveland the ENTIRE weekend. I asked each person the same question "have you explored the city outside of Downtown?" They respond with "well we visited the Rock Hall" multiple times lol. I said "have you checked out University Circle, Ohio City, Tremont, etc." They respond with "no where is that at" or "no where should I go?" I feel that the tourism sector of our city dropped the ball in opening up the city to tourist and being available on the street giving info on other areas outside of Downtown to explore. A real shame too, based on the momentum of the aforementioned neighborhoods.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, MyPhoneDead said:

One thing I noticed from the MLB All Star game, no one I talked to really left Downtown Cleveland the ENTIRE weekend. I asked each person the same question "have you explored the city outside of Downtown?" They respond with "well we visited the Rock Hall" multiple times lol. I said "have you checked out University Circle, Ohio City, Tremont, etc." They respond with "no where is that at" or "no where should I go?" I feel that the tourism sector of our city dropped the ball in opening up the city to tourist and being available on the street giving info on other areas outside of Downtown to explore. A real shame too, based on the momentum of the aforementioned neighborhoods.

I dunno... yesterday morning I had a meeting in University Circle and I saw several people walking around in various baseball jerseys.  At lunch at the Cleveland Museum of Art, the same thing...saw several people wearing all-star game themed stuff. 

Side note for what it's worth, we also have a 2019 MLB All Star Game and Festivites thread: 

Edited by MuRrAy HiLL

Pretty good weather the past few days got Cleveland some great exposure.   A friend told me that hotels were booked all the way down to Cuyahoga Falls and Stow because of ASG. Definitely noticed a few more out of state license plates than normal in the Cuyahoga Valley this weekend. 

1 hour ago, MyPhoneDead said:

I saw tourists all over Ohio City and Gordon Sq the past couple of days/nights...I think your sample size was a little too small to base any real opinions or concerns about. 

Edited by Clefan98
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Clefan98 said:

I saw tourists all over Ohio City and Gordon Sq the past couple of days/nights...I think your sample size was a little too small to base any real opinions or concerns about. 

Frankly there was plenty of stuff just to do downtown for that weekend. That's not a bad thing, it means people will think it's cool enough that they will take a return trip to see the rest. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MyPhoneDead said:

The fact that everything was very compact and easy to walk to was a major "up" factor for some of the tourists I talked to.  Spreading it out would have negated that, and taken away from the incredible energy level that Downtown sustained for the whole time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, X said:

The fact that everything was very compact and easy to walk to was a major "up" factor for some of the tourists I talked to.  Spreading it out would have negated that, and taken away from the incredible energy level that Downtown sustained for the whole time.

Bingo! Now people can come back and spend a long weekend exploring the rest.

On 7/10/2019 at 8:15 AM, MyPhoneDead said:

I've heard different.  I understand people went to Ohio City, Detroit Shoreway - people were at the beach.  Chinatown/Asian Village.  

• 1 month later...

Greater Cleveland attracted a record 19.2 million visitors in 2018, outpacing Ohio and U.S. growth

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2019/08/greater-cleveland-attracted-a-record-192-million-visitors-in-2018-outpacing-ohio-and-us-growth.html

• Like 3

While it isn't strictly a 'national event', I wonder how much of the visitor count and hotel occupancy rate is attributable to the federal opiate trial's being located in a Cleveland court house.

A fairly huge number wouldn't surprise me at all.

• Confused 1

Es war ein heisser Nacht in Apalachicola als die asbest Vorhang gefällt.

2 minutes ago, Dougal said:

While it isn't strictly a 'national event', I wonder how much of the visitor count and hotel occupancy rate is attributable to the federal opiate trial's being located in a Cleveland court house.

how long has that been going on?

26 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Another feather in Cleveland's tourism cap!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dougal said:

That's what you're taking from the article? 

18 minutes ago, TBideon said:

That's what you're taking from the article? 

I was thinking the same thing. They accounted for about ~.002% of the total visitors.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pumped they're here, but it's a ridiculously low number in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 1

I've been hearing that Gilbert and others are pushing for more meeting space and a new hotel too (something about 2/3 the size of the Hilton). They feel they can fill the space if they have it. Apparently a number of meetings/conventions have stayed away because the existing facilities were already booked and/or aren't large enough. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, KJP said:

I've been hearing that Gilbert and others are pushing for more meeting space and a new hotel too (something about 2/3 the size of the Hilton). They feel they can fill the space if they have it. Apparently a number of meetings/conventions have stayed away because the existing facilities were already booked and/or aren't large enough. 

Any indication on where the added space would be? Extending the convention center north over RR tracks? Another location altogether?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mov2Ohio said:

Any indication on where the added space would be? Extending the convention center north over RR tracks? Another location altogether?

Several months ago, there seemed to be interest between the city, CVB, GCP, etc. in expanding over the tracks, but that will cost a ton and take a lot of time. Quicker, lower-cost (possibly interim) options are being considered including repurposing part of the Medical Mart. But there's no place to put an attached hotel over there. I haven't heard about these options recently.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KJP said:

Several months ago, there seemed to be interest between the city, CVB, GCP, etc. in expanding over the tracks, but that will cost a ton and take a lot of time. Quicker, lower-cost (possibly interim) options are being considered including repurposing part of the Medical Mart. But there's no place to put an attached hotel over there. I haven't heard about these options recently.

Wasn't there someone not too long ago, possibly Gilbert (?) that mentioned the possibility of building on the small strip of dead space west of med mart, along Ontario?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, viscomi said:

Wasn't there someone not too long ago, possibly Gilbert (?) that mentioned the possibility of building on the small strip of dead space west of med mart, along Ontario?

For a hotel or meeting room expansion? If there was, I don't remember it. Cool idea though..

2 hours ago, KJP said:

Too bad convention hotel wasn't built with expansion in mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KJP said:

As of May, sounded like no expansion was being seriously considered:

David Gilbert, president and CEO of the Greater Cleveland Sports Commission and of Destination Cleveland, the tourism marketer, thinks the convention center is well run and is a "beautiful space." More meeting rooms, and even more exhibit space, would be better, though he knows that adding space is not in the cards.

https://www.crainscleveland.com/government/convention-center-aims-ease-space-squeeze

For additional meeting rooms, the convention center was trying to work something out with the city to make it easier for conventions to book the 15 meeting rooms located under Public Auditorium, which have been operated (and booked) separately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, StapHanger said:

For additional meeting rooms, the convention center was trying to work something out with the city to make it easier for conventions to book the 15 meeting rooms located under Public Auditorium, which have been operated (and booked) separately.

Sounds like an expansion to me, and a cost-effective one. 

• Like 3