Guest Mov2Ohio

From Crain's

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Saturday December 30, 2006

Travelers return

Gary McGauley, general manager of the Renaissance Cleveland Hotel

By JOHN BOOTH

1:37 pm, December 27, 2006

It’s been a slow climb back, but by one measure, the Cleveland tourism industry can mark 2006 as its best year since the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks brought the travel business to a standstill.

According to Dennis Roche, president of the Convention & Visitors Bureau of Greater Cleveland, hotel occupancy for the area market through the end of October was 59.3%, which he says “is as good as it has been since 9-11.” The rate for the like period of 2005 was 58.2%. A swing of one percentage point equals about 80,000 room nights, he said.

“It is slowly increasing,” Mr. Roche said. “Relative to prior years, and relative to some of our competing markets, it’s good progress.”..

http://www.crainscleveland.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061227/FREE/61227006/1010/2020

• 1 month later...

• 3 months later...

CVB saw positive trends in '06

By JOHN BOOTH

3:36 pm, May 15, 2007

Big increases in room nights and a budget surplus had Convention & Visitors Bureau of Greater Cleveland president Dennis Roche grinning Tuesday afternoon at the bureau’s annual gathering.

Cuyahoga County hotels booked 170,363 room nights in 2006, a 28% increase from the previous year, Mr. Roche told attendees during the lunch at Windows on the River.

Mr. Roche also noted that the CVB ended 2006 with a budget surplus of $924,000, though he was quick to add, “That won’t happen again in 2007.” A higher-than-expected bed tax return, coupled with lower-than-expected capital expenditures, like those related to construction of the bureau’s new Public Square office space, led to the sizable chunk of leftover change.

Other numbers Mr. Roche noted were the 54% boost in CVB web site visits for the first quarter of 2006 over the previous year and the $17.6 million spent in Cleveland by 3,769 visiting groups.

Marketing plans for this year call for $600,000 in direct spending on tourism efforts in Pittsburgh, Columbus and Detroit, along with an additional $180,000 that will be aimed at attracting conventions to the area.

Mr. Roche also said the CVB’s new offices in the old Higbee’s space will open for business June 11, with the visitors’ center opening June 20.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070515/FREE/70515012/1094/newsletter01

The past month I've been trying to wrap up my college career and ensure graduation.  So I finally graduated, and I'm home now working on starting my career in Cleveand!

Congratulations!! Hope to be in your shoes in a year.

• 2 weeks later...

Cleveland market draws more visitors

From Crains

Convention and Visitors Bureau of Greater Cleveland

By JOHN BOOTH

11:04 am, May 30, 2007

The Cleveland market attracted 14.05 million business and leisure visits in 2006, an increase of 920,000 over the 2005 total and a 54% improvement over the 9.1 million visits in 2004.

That’s the word from the Convention and Visitors Bureau of Greater Cleveland, which released the numbers after finalizing a report by Virginia-based market research company D.K. Shifflet and Associates. A single person staying five days in a row still counted as only one visitor, but if that person returned for a separate visit, he or she was counted again.

CVB spokeswoman Samantha Fryberger admits the specific reasons for the big rise over the past two years are unknown, but the bureau has a few theories...

Unfortunately i didnt get inside or get any digital images. However, you can see some of the progress through the windows. I was only told about it. The center measures over 300,000 square feet and will only occupy the space at the corner of Ontario and Euclid, so there is still plenty of ground floor available in the Higbee building. The space will include brochure racks, a help desk, computer stations, and a small theater to show videos.  The CVB wants the center to be high-tech and interactive. Expect the center to open at the end of June. It will be open Monday-Saturday and close at 6 PM, although hours will be adjusted as needed to accomodate major festivals, games, conventions, etc. 

I've been out of the country 13 days...where are the pics??

I was out of the country for 16 days. I win.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Cross-posted from the Random Cleveland thread.

Downtown Holiday Inn changes hands

PD Posted by Henry J. Gomez May 31, 2007 14:27PM

The Hotel Group of Edmonds, Wash., plans massive renovations at its recently acquired the 17-story Holiday Inn Select at 1111 Lakeside Ave. in downtown Cleveland.

More at:

http://blog.cleveland.com/business/2007/05/downtown_holiday_inn_changes_h.html

Unless we crossed paths in Paris? I was in Pairee May 26-27.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

• 3 weeks later...

From Cool Cleveland:

Cle Visitors Center Visitors and tourists will now have an official location to ask questions and get information about the area before exploring. The new visitor center opens TODAY, Wed, 6/20 in the first floor of the former Higbee Building on Euclid Avenue. The facility will feature a large map of the area, plenty of travel brochures for attractions around the Cleveland Plus region, three computer kiosks where visitors can plot their travels and staff members to assist with reservations, directions, ticket purchases and other questions. This location will also house the Convention and Visitors Bureau of Greater Cleveland staff and the Greater Cleveland Partnership offices.

Renderings located here:

http://t.pm0.net/s/c?6i.13d1.29.tb0.1ppf

• 2 months later...

Tourism rebounds

Crain's Cleveland

By JOHN BOOTH

3:04 pm, September 11, 2007

Cuyahoga County drew 14.05 million visitors in 2006, surpassing the 13.72 million it drew in 2000 for the first time since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

It’s also up 800,000 over the 2005 draw.

“Hospitality has rebuilt and become re-established in this area,” Dennis Roche, president of the Convention and Visitors Bureau of Greater Cleveland told an industry crowd Tuesday morning at a travel summit in Cleveland ...

... More at http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20070911/FREE/70911016/1095&Profile=1095

• 3 weeks later...

Now that we are in the shoulder season, I've wondered how the travel and tourism business in Cleveland has improved year-over-year since 2000.  With an always busy summer in Cleveland and many travel sites rating the City a "good value" or a "must see destination".  In combination with The Cavs, Indians playoff runs and various nationally broadcast sporting events and concerts over the summer.  How have tourism related businesses (airport O/D, hotel, restaurant, transportation, retail shops, etc..) fared? 

How will this exposure translate intp new businesses coming to Cleveland for coventions, meetings or more leisure travelers coming into the city to discover the many things the city has to offer?

Playoffs mean money, money

The rooms, the meals, the money: the payoffs

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Sarah Hollander

Plain Dealer Reporter

Play ball! And ring up the next sale.

The Cleveland Indians take on the New York Yankees at Jacobs Field today and tomorrow, guaranteeing at least two days of postseason gravy for the city and area businesses.

Coming off this summer's buzz from the Cavaliers' run in the NBA Finals, smiles abound.

"It's been a really great year," Hilton Garden Inn manager George Iannacone said Wednesday as his staff prepared for two sold-out nights at the hotel...

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/cuyahoga/1191487212293530.xml&coll=2

Although hard to track, positive publicity could eventually influence vacation and business development choices, visitors bureau President Dennis Roche said.

And what about the locals?  Maybe, just maybe, it would make a difference in the negative perception that many locals have of the city if there were more positive news?  But we all know that (at least here).  This will definitely help downtown for at least the next few days.  Go Indians!!

Don't get me started on not having a marketing plan that operates on the local level. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

As/if the indians advance, hopefully we will see a quick surge of a marketing plan...such as with the cavs this past spring.  As for the locals....no comment.

The CVB is going to announce it's new name tomorrow (Oct. 9) at 7 a.m. The wanted a more memorable, energetic and simple name. Suggestions included:

Cleveland Now, Flee to the Cleve, Encounter Cleveland, Cleveland Sails, Find it All in Cleveland, That Cleveland Connection, RockinCleveland, Cleveland Beckons, Hail Cleveland, The Cleveland Encounter, Meet Cleveland and Embrace Cleveland.

Find out what the CVB chose and why at www.travelcleveland.com/newlogo

Want more details? Chat with the CVB live about the new identity using LivePerson from 9 a.m. to noon Oct. 9 (also at www.travelcleveland.com/newlogo).

It's as though they don't test these names before they're chosen.  How hard would be it to sample 500 people and ask, "is this a good idea?"  The slogans, first "Cleveland +" and now "Positively Cleveland" sound like a fifth grade class project, not a multi-million dollar advertising campaign. 

The website for the Convention & Visitors Bureau looks similarly infantile.  The images look crudely Photoshopped around the edges. 

^That's some REALLY crappy clipping path action ... but it seems like they rebrand the site every three months or so, so I guess we just need to wait for them to get tired of it.

clipping path? When you let a 5th grader use the lasso icon and take along all of the background pixels (in this case white) to create the white pixelated fringe?

"sweet, "ma, look i'm a graphicS designer now!"

slap2.gif (I know you're being facetious, but please - don't spread the "graphicS" thing around.)

No, it looks like they just didn't use clipping paths and plunked the images into Flash. That's just really, really, really bad.

My biggest frustration is that after seeing about three or four retoolings of this site, I don't think it's becoming either more aesthetically pleasing or meanginful different in its architecture. I just kind of marvel at how much money must be getting spent on all of this rebranding. I just can't imagine pixelated-edged pictures of guitars and spaghetti would motivate ONE SINGLE tourist or convention planner to choose Cleveland as a destination ... no matter how positive we might be.

From Crain's Cleveland Business

ALCS to be economic boon for region

By JOHN BOOTH

1:25 pm, October 11, 2007

When the American League Championship Series comes to town next week, it’s expected to generate at least $8.23 million per game in spending, according to local tourism industry officials.

The estimate from Positively Cleveland, the recently renamed convention and visitors bureau, is based on data provided by the Cleveland Indians and industry studies on how much traveling sports fans spend on things like cab fare, hotel rooms and retail purchasing ...

... More at http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20071011/FREE/71011014/1095&Profile=1095

I don't get this "Cleveland +" and "positively Cleveland".  This is as bad if not worse as "Cleveland is a plumb"!

I'm from Cleveland, but this campaign doesn't make me think of Cleveland what so ever - even with the name in the tag line.  Who thinks up of this crap?!  The creative director and the person or persons that approved this campaign should be fired, as this is a bigger embarrasement than LeBrongate.

Color scheme relates to the CLE airport logo.

Aren't these things supposed to be a bit corny though?  It makes you wonder to whom they're trying to market the city/region. Anyways, nothing will ever match the timelessness of the I heart NY logo.  "Experience Columbus" isn't anything to write home about although graphically it is better than our ldesign.

God, if anything, stick with "Cleveland Rocks" as corny and tacky as that may seem.  It works and people all over the country are familar with it.  As simple as I heart NY may seem, I'm sure when that slogan began, people thought it was corny. 

• 3 months later...

Interesting convention:

http://www.cnw.ca/fr/releases/archive/February2008/01/c6443.html

Great Lakes Manufacturing Forum 2008 to Be Held in Cleveland July 9-11

DETROIT, Feb. 1 /CNW/ -- The Great Lakes Manufacturing Council announced

today that its third annual Great Lakes Manufacturing Forum will be held July

9-11 at the Cleveland Key Center Marriott, in Cleveland, Ohio.

The Great Lakes Manufacturing Forum brings together manufacturing,

business, academic and government leaders focused on promoting, enhancing and

preserving manufacturing in the Great Lakes Region. Regional leaders from the

eight Great Lakes States as well as the Canadian Provinces of Ontario and

Quebec will gather to discuss the image of the Great Lakes region, innovation

in manufacturing, the workforce and skills needed for manufacturing today and

in the future as well as the borders and logistics requirements needed to

succeed in today's global economy. The forum will be opened by Cleveland Mayor

Frank Jackson.

"We are pleased the Great Lakes Manufacturing Council has chosen Ohio as

the site of this year's forum," said Lt. Governor Lee Fisher, who also serves

as Director of the Ohio Department of Development. "The Great Lakes region has

been a cornerstone of manufacturing and innovation for more than a century,

providing jobs, new technologies, and robust businesses. This forum is a

collaborative effort to help our region maintain that strength and make Great

Lakes manufacturing the benchmark of the world."

Speakers include notables such as Jayson Myers of the Canadian

Manufacturers and Exporters, John Austin of the Brookings Institution, Ned

Hill of Cleveland State University, and William Testa of the Federal Reserve

Bank of Chicago.

"Working collaboratively is the key to ensure we all thrive in the

current global economy," said Ed Wolking, president of the Great Lakes

Manufacturing Council and executive vice president of the Detroit Regional

Chamber. "It is our responsibility as business and governmental leaders to

enhance the image of the Great Lakes region and to celebrate and promote our

manufacturing strength to guarantee the region's future prosperity."

Some of the Partners in this event include:

-- Society of Manufacturing Engineers

-- Chambers of Commerce of Chicago, Detroit and Toledo

-- Province of Ontario

-- Pittsburgh Technology Council

-- Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters

-- Conexus Indiana

-- Purdue University

-- And many more.

About the Great Lakes Manufacturing Council

The Great Lakes Manufacturing Council is a long-term relationship and

collaboration of regional leaders from the eight Great Lakes States and the

Canadian Provinces of Ontario and Quebec committed to the growth of

manufacturing and the Great Lakes region. Its goal is to support a more

competitive manufacturing base by promoting greater intra-regional

communication and collaboration, best practices sharing and application and

positive imagery that will attract, retain and grow business.

For additional information about the event go to

greatlakesmanufacturing.org or call 866.615.2182.

I wonder how many people that convention is expected to bring to Cleveland?