Sign in to follow this  
theguv

Cleveland: Cleveland State University: Development and News

Wow! Those sound like major game changers for the city and region!

Thanks for the great reporting as always, @KJP. Have you heard any insight from your sources regarding where the new CSU developments could potentially occur? My gut guess is where all the parking lots are on Prospect / around the Wolstein Center area??

• Like 1

That’s awesome!  I found myself wondering yesterday what the hiring of Adm. Faison could mean for CSU and the region as a whole.  Thank you for taking the time to research and write about it, @KJP.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, urbanetics_ said:

Wow! Those sound like major game changers for the city and region!

Thanks for the great reporting as always, @KJP. Have you heard any insight from your sources regarding where the new CSU developments could potentially occur? My gut guess is where all the parking lots are on Prospect / around the Wolstein Center area??

The Wolstein Center site is definitely a candidate for redevelopment in CSU's upcoming facilities masterplan. Whether the new medical school and health care research facilities land there, it's too soon to know. One possibility I've heard is that a smaller arena may be built on the Wolstein site with the rest devoted to campus development, including residential or possibly classrooms, auditoriums, etc.

And once again an article that's a topic of new discussion ends up at the end of a previous page. So, for convenience-sake, here it is.....

48 minutes ago, KJP said:

BOOM (aka future megaprojects!)

CSU+Medical+School+Building.JPG

FRIDAY, JANUARY 17, 2020

Two new jobs that could change Cleveland's landscape forever

The creation of two jobs can change a region in a significant way. Cases in point are two medically related positions -- one that was just filled and the other that was recently advertised.

Yesterday, Cleveland State University (CSU) hired a new employee that will probably be a game changer for Cleveland and Northeast Ohio. It could ultimately lead to thousands of new jobs. Yes, thousands.

And, weeks ago, Canon Medical Research USA Inc. posted a job listing for a new position at its Cleveland-area offices -- director, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) research and development (R&D). It could also lead to thousands of new jobs in the future.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2020/01/two-new-jobs-that-could-change.html

Edited by KJP
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

1 minute ago, freefourur said:

Would Cannon Research be an expansion of the existing presence that have in Mayfield Village?

Yes. Big time.

• Like 6

@KJP, thanks for breaking more positive news.  I've got three questions:

1. I presume this is the big news you hinted at in past weeks?

2. Can CSU create a med school and do all the facilities construction we'd like to see on its own?  Or does it need authority or funding from the legislature?

3. On the Cannon news, the article notes that the job posting is for Cleveland (Mayfield Village).  Is there any other info you can share to demonstrate their plans are bigger than one position?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ryanfrazier said:

@KJP, thanks for breaking more positive news.  I've got three questions:

1. I presume this is the big news you hinted at in past weeks?

2. Can CSU create a med school and do all the facilities construction we'd like to see on its own?  Or does it need authority or funding from the legislature?

3. On the Cannon news, the article notes that the job posting is for Cleveland (Mayfield Village).  Is there any other info you can share to demonstrate their plans are bigger than one position?

1. yes, partially

2. I think CSU will need funding approved by the Ohio Department of Higher Education, the State Controlling Board, and possibly the feds too.

3. No, not yet. But I'm told it involves our local hospitals and universities. So the news by CSU dovetails into Canon's, at least indirectly.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KJP said:

1. yes, partially

2. I think CSU will need funding approved by the Ohio Department of Higher Education, the State Controlling Board, and possibly the feds too.

3. No, not yet. But I'm told it involves our local hospitals and universities. So the news by CSU dovetails into Canon's, at least indirectly.

Based on this news and past hints, my first guess would be a new Canon Medical Campus in Fairfax (along the Opportunity Corridor maybe).  There, the Toshiba and Quality Electrodynamics facilities could be unified (and hopefully expanded upon), and be much more convenient to the hospitals, Case and CSU.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, acd said:

Based on this news and past hints, my first guess would be a new Canon Medical Campus in Fairfax (along the Opportunity Corridor maybe).  There, the Toshiba and Quality Electrodynamics facilities could be unified (and hopefully expanded upon), and be much more convenient to the hospitals, Case and CSU.

Thanks for pointing out the acquisition of QED. I missed that -- but added it to the article. The press release says Canon considers medical equipment to be the source of future growth for the company, and the acquisition of QED is a big piece of how they hope to achieve that growth. Look for them to increasingly pour more resources into that conduit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJP said:

Thanks for pointing out the acquisition of QED. I missed that -- but added it to the article. The press release says Canon considers medical equipment to be the source of future growth for the company, and the acquisition of QED is a big piece of how they hope to achieve that growth. Look for them to increasingly pour more resources into that conduit.

I forgot about the QED acquisition, too despite posting it! Given that there is already a Canon R&D presence in the area, that's easy to overlook. I'm intrigued that this is only part of the "mega project", but it seems to involve lots of moving pieces between loosely coupled players that bring more to the table collectively than they do on their own due to agglomeration effects.

@KJP Is the remainder of this "partial" reveal pointing to an unrevealed development within this med-tech/imaging/education industry, or an unrelated "megaproject"?

Since quotes across topics don't directly embed links, here's the link to the Cannon QED announcement for those interested: https://www.crainscleveland.com/technology/majority-stake-quality-electrodynamics-sold-canon-inc

Edited by infrafreak
phrasing
  • Like 1

@infrafreak yes, that's what I've heard. And apparently Canon wants to pour a lot of resources into it and greatly expand their medical equipment R&D and manufacturing. The question, what activities would be located here, to what extent, and in what timeframe?

• Like 3

Thanks for the great news, KJP.  Cleveland has built an impressive medical industrial complex in the last several decades, but very little of it has happened in the heart of downtown.  The developments have all been in University Circle and just recently, on West 25th in Metro's neighborhood.  It would be great if downtown could get even a share of the growth in buildings and infrastructure those two areas have seen in this century alone.  Not only is CSU strategically located near (in?) downtown, it also has the institutional chops to make a truly "eds and meds" contribution to the nearby central business district.

Edited by Down_with_Ctown
  • Like 5