Sign in to follow this  
theguv

Cleveland: Cleveland State University: Development and News

The vacant Moes space on Euclid is going to be BURGERS 2 BEER-- as located in highland hts.

Great news!!

I've heard good things about the Highland Heights location. It will be good to see this site occupied again. And, it gives me another possible lunch destination.

i always thought those two bldgs have a good presence, so i want to see the renders. it needs to be a substantial structure.

^^^It's 2012 and people still say things are "retarded"?

wellll, we have a new 'hipster' thread in 2012...soo!

The vacant Moes space on Euclid is going to be BURGERS 2 BEER-- as located in highland hts.

Great news!!

Huh.  Thought I posted earlier.

Subpar beer list and $14 bison burgers.  Yayyy!

Where is an illustration of CSU's proposed life sciences building - to be constructed on the site of the former Holiday Inn and the Wolfe Music Building (unfortunately!....)?

There's a rough rendering upthread, but the 9/20/12 PD article posted above says they haven't settled on who's designing it yet.

Could someone post that rough drawing for the new building at Euclid and E. 22nd, please? Such a rush to tear down the Wolfe Music Building when the architect hasn't even been hired yet??  I'm very, very sorry to see the Wolfe Music Building go but at least I'd like to think a respectible building is to go up in its place.  Sure feel this would have been a perfect argument for "Facadism" - where the terra cotta facade, restored of course, is incorporated into the new facade.  Just the facade of the former music company building would be enough to retain this bit of history on the Avenue and one of Greater Cleveland's wonderful terra cotta facades. Wonder if it was ever considered....

Read more: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,10753.300.html#ixzz27hS3xj6N

^^^ it's been mentioned several times that an architect has not yet been chosen, therefore there is no accurate rendering.

I'm excited to see the wolf building go- its been the biggest eyesore on campus forever.

^Freshen up on this - http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,23836.0.html - so people don't think you are arguing with yourself ;)

I think most people on this board are not in favor of the demolition of the Wolfe Music building, but would be complacent if they at least kept the facade and incorporated it into the new development somehow.

I have a substantial Euclid Avenue collection and am disgusted when anything from before WW II is removed. One exception, of course: the monstrosity that had been just to the west of Dunham Tavern. There had been some nice plans for renovating it but, other than that possibility, it was absolutely hideous.  I know, I know - I digress from the purpose of this particular forum....

^Freshen up on this - http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,23836.0.html - so people don't think you are arguing with yourself ;)

I think most people on this board are not in favor of the demolition of the Wolfe Music building, but would be complacent if they at least kept the facade and incorporated it into the new development somehow.

I'm quite aware, as I was involved in the discussion. :)

I can see your point... But think realistically how it would fit in the campus. It doesn't. So it is for the better of the school, campus, potential students visiting campus that it is finally coming down. Everyone can have an opinion on this. I'm looking forward to finally seeing some renderings though.

It would well fit into the south side of Euclid Avenue part of the campus - going well with the other 1910s or 1920s buildings on that side.  I'd just like to see that aforementioned rendering, even if the actual architect was not yet hired.

^Just to clarify, there are NO recent renderings of the building in the sense you're thinking.  The only thing we've seen is a conceptual site plan that ClevelandOhio pulled from the city planning commission:

Terrible site plan in my opinion. Whats with that frontage on Prospect? It also makes it appear that there will be some sort of parking garage there which is dumb. That building will raise demand for the nearly empty South Garage, which will still be half empty. Hopefully the actual individual designs are better than this. Someone needs to go that meeting and challenge them on these issues!

Viking_Hall_16.jpg

You're right, it doesn't fit, because clearly CSU needs that space near the sidewalk for more grass.  :wave:

In partial defense of CLE618; I think we all know that a building can be both an eyesore and be deserving of being saved and restored. The big blank brick walls and a run down, boarded up, and rusting facade don't fit, but if a restored Wolfe facade doesn't fit neither does anything between the Wolfe Building and the Comfort Inn (AKA half of the buildings on the south side of Euclid in the campus zone).

^There have been some other renderings over the past couple years, but I believe they were from the "Global Sustainable [sic] Center" iteration of the project and were primarily for marketing/master planning purposes, not real project planning, but I could be wrong.  Every single site plan or rendering of anything on that site, though, does show dumb corner plazas and fringy green space that I don't really get, so seems likely we'll see that kind of thing.

I couldn't figure out how to post the pic from my iPhone, but the new tower of light is up today and this photo is from csu Facebook.

8034020201_b3b6a6587a_b.jpg

The tower will shine a green ray of light up at night. I think it looks pretty cool IMO

Just a quick question to all of the people familiar with Viking Hall. With all of the demand for on-campus housing, just why are they tearing down this building. I believe it was built in the '70's as a Holiday Inn and was used for many years by CSU as housing. Is this building that dysfunctional or in need of repair? With so much housing demand, you you think that they could use it for housing.

Just a quick question to all of the people familiar with Viking Hall. With all of the demand for on-campus housing, just why are they tearing down this building. I believe it was built in the '70's as a Holiday Inn and was used for many years by CSU as housing. Is this building that dysfunctional or in need of repair? With so much housing demand, you you think that they could use it for housing.

Having lived here for a year, this place is just not what you want students living in. It's very very old- the building smells. The elevators are some of the worst I've experienced in my life. The windows are very outdated and weathered. The hallways make you feel that you are in a deserted building underground. The bathrooms are something you'd see in a condemned home.  Overall, it is just a complete wreck. They are better off building a new style dorm with better capacity than continue on with this place. Just my experience :)

I have heard a big cost factor was the asbestos removal. It was cheaper to build Euclid Commons to replace this facility .

Asbestos has to be removed for demolition, too.  If anyone tells you a building was demolished because of asbestos, they are lying or don't know what they're talking about.

I have heard a big cost factor was the asbestos removal. It was cheaper to build Euclid Commons to replace this facility .

Asbestos has to be removed for demolition, too.  If anyone tells you a building was demolished because of asbestos, they are lying or don't know what they're talking about.

I didn't say that was the only factor. Just one of the many factors which have been mentioned above.

i love the new tower of light. Great addition to the campus. I'm so thrilled with all the new thing going on at CSU. And I'm not an alumni or anything, I'm just happy to see this progress. All CSU needs now is to give me a local college football team to root for  :wink:

i love the new tower of light. Great addition to the campus. I'm so thrilled with all the new thing going on at CSU. And I'm not an alumni or anything, I'm just happy to see this progress. All CSU needs now is to give me a local college football team to root for  :wink:

You do. It's called Kent State. ;)

FWIW, I like all the stuff going on at CSU, too. It's a terrific economic engine for downtown.

"Fascism begins the moment a ruling class, fearing the people may use their political democracy to gain economic democracy, begins to destroy political democracy in order to retain its power of exploitation and special privilege." -- Tommy Douglas, Scottish-born Canadian Baptist minister and the seventh Premier of Saskatchewan

I will take some pics from the top of Main Classroom this week...awesome view from behind the elevators there.

Agreed and thanks. I keep thinking of taking a pic from there, but I don't make it over till after evening classes and can't get a decent pic at night with my phone.