theguv

Cleveland: Cleveland State University: Development and News

59 minutes ago, KJP said:

CSU+skyline.jpg

MONDAY, JUNE 29, 2020

CSU starts process for skyline-altering master plan

A lot can change in just six years. That's especially true when it comes to a university that's continuing to make the transition from a regional commuter school to more of a nationally prominent residential institution.

And when that university is also trying to reconfigure its athlethic facilities, privatize its parking and capitalize on Cleveland's international standing as a medical center, then it's time to take a fresh look at its campus.

So Cleveland State University (CSU) has issued a request for qualifications from urban planning and design firms to create an updated master plan for what is currently an 85-acre campus. According to the Dodge Reports, CSU is requesting qualifications for planning services to be submitted by 2 p.m. July 24 to Jeremiah Swetel, CSU's executive director of facility services.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2020/06/csu-starts-process-for-skyline-altering.html

12 minutes ago, Boomerang_Brian said:

I hope the plan includes capping a few sections of the Innerbelt, preferably Prospect to Chester - how nice would that be?

The focus on medical programs is spot on - build from the regions strengths. 

CSU has so much potential - it’s the only state school in Ohio that is in a proper, big city downtown. (Sorry UA, downtown Akron just isn’t in the same tier, even though it has made steps in the right direction more recently.) Appealing to Ohio students who want to be downtown, not just within city limits, is a great target demographic. The other great opportunity for CSU is in the arts, for many of the same reasons. How many theatre schools have joint facilities with two resident regional theatre companies and the number one touring Broadway location in the country (Playhouse Square)?

Good point about the arts program. CSU needs to up their game there. They've got the facilities, not the program yet. They need a George Szell or Forrest Faison-type leader to give it prominence and focus.

Edited by KJP
  • Like 2

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

11 minutes ago, Boomerang_Brian said:

. The other great opportunity for CSU is in the arts, for many of the same reasons. How many theatre schools have joint facilities with two resident regional theatre companies and the number one touring Broadway location in the country (Playhouse Square)?

Oh yeah, and Tom Hanks started his professional career at one of those regional theatre companies. 

It kinda makes me wish BW’s theatre department would move downtown. They actually have the alumni network worthy of PHS. Hopefully CSU can get there - they are headed the right direction. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Boomerang_Brian said:

^My wish list:

- Cap I-90 from Prospect to Chester

- Replace Wolstein Center w smaller b-ball only arena w better street presence along Prospect and E18 OR E21, with remaining space dedicated to housing

- New 300-400 foot tower. This IS UrbanOhio, after all

- Accommodation for future Streetcar / Light Rail along Euclid and/or Prospect and E22

I think ODOT would be receptive to bridge caps through the corridor if and only if Campus District or CSU agreed to take on maintenance responsibility.  

And a once in a generation opportunity is coming up to change the status quo, so I hope someone is pushing for this.

• Like 2

I’m excited about the possibilities that a new CSU master plan might recommend. A vibrant CSU is a win-win for Cleveland as it moves towards being a national and even international draw. I would hate to ever lose the Rhodes Tower, though - the second tallest educational tower in the U.S. has become very familiar on the eastern edge of the downtown skyline.  I get how it’s removal would be skyline-altering (negatively) but how would it’s renovation achieve the same?  Here’s to a new tower of 40O feet coming in that master plan and supplementing Rhodes!

Edited by CleveFan
  • Like 5

Just going to dork out on parcels for a hot minute- Wolstein Center is actually on top of like 50 parcels. They were never consolidated when they built it.

And with that, everyone can continue with their regular banter.

Also to @Boomerang_Brian's post- I know it's not theatre, but I mentor a young adult in their film school and pre-covid he showed us around- what an AMAZING space (also their fitness center is one of (if not) the best downtown 😍)! I love that CSU is gaining a fantastic reputation...

Edited by GISguy
  • Like 3