Guest blinker12

Cleveland: University Circle: Uptown (UARD)

Uptown is just finding what works. The previous group of restaurants, the sit-down restaurants were a revolving door, they weren't working for the demographic. The new iteration the "fast-casual" is what works for the area, an area heavily populated by college students and hospital workers on their break. Those demographics don't have the time )and sometimes the money) to eat in sit-down restaurants, they want their inexpensive food and to go. The fact that MRN has been able to weather the storm, find what works with "fast casual" and still offer some cultural (albeit possibly watered down) options is impressive to me.

It is easy to say what an area will be before it's built, you only can truly tell once it goes live and you see how the demographic reacts to it. I could understand the criticism if the area had a massive amount of vacancies, or offered run of the mill options such as McDonald's, Burger King etc., but that is not the case. Most options there are unique restaurants or options you don't hear of very often and the vacancies don't stay vacant very long. Those "fast casual" restaurants are working and most have stuck in their same spot for a couple of years now and I have seen no hint of them leaving. Hell, although it isn't a corporate store, the Verizon is opening in Uptown AFTER they left due to slow business previously, so obviously the success of Uptown is spreading and even national tenants are listening. 

• Like 7

University Circle has come a long way in the past decade but it's still more of an institutional conglomeration than a residential neighborhood.  Maron states in the article that the area boasts 60,000 employees and just 10,000 residents (which no doubt includes the seaosnal and transient population of Case dorm-dwellers).  Maron also talks about there being less day-to-day foot traffic around Uptown than initially expected.  Again, that 10K residential population is a huge improvement over anything previously seen in UC.  It just does not appear to be enough permanent residents to support diverse retail and sit-down restaurants.

Fortunately, there's almost certainly nowhere to go but up in terms of residential population.  Centric and the new condo projects in Little Italy on Random Road and Mayfield Road (immediately adjacent to the rapid station) are easily within walking distance of Uptown.  Even La Collina (next to the old Mayfield Theater) is not that far away.  As other posters have said, the CDC building will hopefully be redeveloped as a residential property (the CDC is set to relocate near the Cleveland Clinic this spring).  There's also the empty UH lot on Mayfield Road across from Centric.  The old CIA dorms on Bellflower have been torn down and are waiting for redevelopment.  If/when all these apartments come on line, there will be a ton more foot traffic to go with the museum and orchestra visitors that flock down there on weekends.  I'm pretty optimistic about the future of Uptown.  As Maron states in the article, it's already 95 percent leased at some of the most expensive rates in the city.  Diversity will hopefully follow.

Edited by Down_with_Ctown
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, MyPhoneDead said:

Uptown is just finding what works. The previous group of restaurants, the sit-down restaurants were a revolving door, they weren't working for the demographic. The new iteration the "fast-casual" is what works for the area, an area heavily populated by college students and hospital workers on their break. Those demographics don't have the time )and sometimes the money) to eat in sit-down restaurants, they want their inexpensive food and to go. The fact that MRN has been able to weather the storm, find what works with "fast casual" and still offer some cultural (albeit possibly watered down) options is impressive to me.

It is easy to say what an area will be before it's built, you only can truly tell once it goes live and you see how the demographic reacts to it. I could understand the criticism if the area had a massive amount of vacancies, or offered run of the mill options such as McDonald's, Burger King etc., but that is not the case. Most options there are unique restaurants or options you don't hear of very often and the vacancies don't stay vacant very long. Those "fast casual" restaurants are working and most have stuck in their same spot for a couple of years now and I have seen no hint of them leaving. Hell, although it isn't a corporate store, the Verizon is opening in Uptown AFTER they left due to slow business previously, so obviously the success of Uptown is spreading and even national tenants are listening. 

Say it one more time for the people in the back! This isn’t Sim City. Your development has to respond well with the real people in the area. 

• Like 2

On 1/16/2019 at 10:33 AM, MyPhoneDead said:

According to the Verizon website the store, they are building is corporate, for what it's worth. Also in regards to the former corner alley space, the new tenants, Burgerim and Tacologist have officially been announced and have signage up.

https://www.facebook.com/tacocleuptown/

Harrington’s portion of the joint venture will use space in the old Corner Alley space on Euclid Avenue in University Circle. The Corner Alley was an upscale bowling alley that closed in 2018. Harrington expects to occupy the space in the spring.

Harrington looks to hire more employees for its rare disease center site, but Stamler did not have firm numbers.

UH, University of Oxford partner to find cures for rare diseases

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2019/02/uh-university-of-oxford-partner-to-find-cures-for-rare-diseases.html

Cool! I think....

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

Good for the Cleveland regional economy.  Not so great for University Circle as a shopping/dining/nightlife destination.

Does this mean the Harrington Institute will be on the ground floor on Euclid, so the corner alley as a retail spot is no longer? Or that Harrington will just use part of that space and the street-front retail is maintained?

On 3/3/2019 at 8:49 PM, Pugu said:

Does this mean the Harrington Institute will be on the ground floor on Euclid, so the corner alley as a retail spot is no longer? Or that Harrington will just use part of that space and the street-front retail is maintained?

The retail must be retained as there are signs up for Burgerim and Tacologist, unless those have come down.

Tacologist set to open in University Circle next week

Updated 1:56 PM; Today 1:47 PM

By Anne Nickoloff, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Taco and tequila restaurant Tacologist will open next week in Cleveland’s University Circle neighborhood, pending an inspection on Monday.

Tacologist plans to open to the public on Friday, April 26. The restaurant takes over much of the space formerly occupied by Uptown Cleveland’s Corner Alley, located on the corner of Ford Dr. and Euclid Ave. Inside, Tacologist is 4,100 sq. ft. large, with about 1,800 sq. ft. of patio space.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2019/04/tacologist-to-open-in-university-circle-next-week.html

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, MuRrAy HiLL said:

Tacologist set to open in University Circle next week

Updated 1:56 PM; Today 1:47 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Taco and tequila restaurant Tacologist will open next week in Cleveland’s University Circle neighborhood, pending an inspection on Monday.

Tacologist plans to open to the public on Friday, April 26. The restaurant takes over much of the space formerly occupied by Uptown Cleveland’s Corner Alley, located on the corner of Ford Dr. and Euclid Ave. Inside, Tacologist is 4,100 sq. ft. large, with about 1,800 sq. ft. of patio space.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2019/04/tacologist-to-open-in-university-circle-next-week.html

I started at Case in 2016 and have waited three years for a place to get margaritas in UC. Finally, the Tacologist is here. 

Edited by smimes
  • Like 1

And one more bit of news:

Indian Flame restaurant finds new home in University Circle

Posted Apr 19, 3:27 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Indian Flame has moved one block over from its former space in University Circle, but the small move brings big changes for the popular Indian restaurant.

Indian Flame moved to its new home of 11607 Euclid Ave. on March 15. The space was previously occupied by Piccadilly artisan creamery, which shifted next doorinto Coquette Patisserie’s space last year, after Coquette closed in April.

Indian Flame now includes a bar, which was was not offered at its previous space.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2019/04/indian-flame-restaurant-finds-new-home-in-university-circle.html

Long time lurker first time poster.

Progress coming along on the Uptown 3 student housing. In other news, there's still a bit of interior work to be done in the Commodore where "Hell's Fried Chicken" will be opening. 

IMG_20190701_120423868_HDR.thumb.jpg.bd62a33525f5c9c3850df6b70cff2cb4.jpgImg-1562005565400.thumb.png.84a40be26f1eb139685d20e3f16fdbe0.png

• Like 12

1 hour ago, tykaps said:

Progress coming along on the Uptown 3 student housing. In other news, there's still a bit of interior work to be done in the Commodore where "Hell's Fried Chicken" will be opening. 

Now THAT'S what I call a first post!! Welcome @tykaps!

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

7 hours ago, tykaps said:

IMG_20190701_120423868_HDR.thumb.jpg.bd62a33525f5c9c3850df6b70cff2cb4.jpgImg-1562005565400.thumb.png.84a40be26f1eb139685d20e3f16fdbe0.png

Hell's Fried Chicken.  The Korean Fried chicken?  If this is the same brand as in Hell's Kitchen in NYC then I'm ...... 

meh culturajubile GIF by Cultura 

The dumplings were so-so, the udon, eh, and the spicy hell sauce was not spicy.  Granted I'm a person who loves super spicy food, but if I request you to make the sauce at the maximum, then double that, but when my order arrives and I think it tastes like a Jolly Rancher, it's not spicy!

As always hoping for the best.

2 hours ago, MyTwoSense said:

Hell's Fried Chicken.  The Korean Fried chicken?  If this is the same brand as in Hell's Kitchen in NYC then I'm ...... 

meh culturajubile GIF by Cultura 

The dumplings were so-so, the udon, eh, and the spicy hell sauce was not spicy.  Granted I'm a person who loves super spicy food, but if I request you to make the sauce at the maximum, then double that, but when my order arrives and I think it tastes like a Jolly Rancher, it's not spicy!

As always hoping for the best.

Looks to be a different brand. The word "fried" is neatly in the title unlike the NYC restaurant and the logo is completely different. No other online information on it, so I guess it's a new local restaurant.

• Like 1

I think Uptown is starting to hit its stride with national retailers. Verizon, the small Apple Store addition now Chase Bank. Makes me excited to see what Phase 3 will have. 

37D82397-7561-4ABC-926C-FA1D6A33D6A4.jpeg

Phase 3?

9 minutes ago, KJP said:

Phase 3?

If I'm not mistaken that's what the construction at the corner by Constantino's is. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: Ahhhhhh it being called Uptown 3 in the renderings confused me.

LPVXKOZX4ZETBJM6FPHVITF2JI.jpg

Edited by MyPhoneDead
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MyPhoneDead said:

I think Uptown is starting to hit its stride with national retailers. Verizon, the small Apple Store addition now Chase Bank. Makes me excited to see what Phase 3 will have. 

In regards to what Uptown 3 will have:

Sheng Long Yu, owner of Kenko in University Circle along with some other Asian concepts, wants to open up a new restaurant. This is likely to be in the spot on the Eastern side that will share an outdoor patio with Piccadilly. Nothing definitive, but they're looking into putting an Amazon Hub into the other space. Kind of odd considering it's useless to CWRU students who already have two locations on campus with lockers for picking up packages.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MyPhoneDead said:

Wait, Apple Store addition? What?! 

8 hours ago, inlovewithCLE said:

Wait, Apple Store addition? What?! 

It's connected to the Barnes and Nobles it's not a big space at all. Typically the ones that cater to students.

21 minutes ago, MyPhoneDead said:

It's connected to the Barnes and Nobles it's not a big space at all. Typically the ones that cater to students.

Is it facing the street or inside the Barnes and Noble?

12 minutes ago, MuRrAy HiLL said:

Is it facing the street or inside the Barnes and Noble?

It faces the street you can see the construction through the window, the access is through barnes and noble though. The store sits in front of the window by the street right next to Dunkin. I'll try to take a picture later on today.

Edited by MyPhoneDead
  • Like 1

The transformation is really striking when driving west on Euclid as you drive under the railroad bridge. Bam! 

2 hours ago, Terdolph said:

If East Cleveland had competent, trustworthy leadership........

Should be annexed by Cleveland.

28 minutes ago, shack said:

See the extensive discussion of this in the East Cleveland thread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shack said:

Not to get too far off topic and I know East Cleveland is a disaster, but Cleveland itself isn’t necessarily a symbol of “competent, trustworthy leadership”!

• Dislike 1

15 hours ago, JSC216 said:

Not to get too far off topic and I know East Cleveland is a disaster, but Cleveland itself isn’t necessarily a symbol of “competent, trustworthy leadership”!

Maybe so.  My point was that at least private money is willing to invest in Cleveland, but not E. Cleveland.  The RR bridge between the two is only 50 feet wide.