Cleveland: University Circle: Uptown (UARD)

Guest blinker12

Banyan Tree looks to have closed their shop in Uptown. Hopefully retail will do a little better once the new apartments in the neighborhood get built. It appeared as if ground was already being broke around the corner for the Centric Project this afternoon.

Banyan Tree looks to have closed their shop in Uptown. Hopefully retail will do a little better once the new apartments in the neighborhood get built. It appeared as if ground was already being broke around the corner for the Centric Project this afternoon.

That's the second small women's apparel shop that's failed in that location.  'Ann Von H' (or something like that) was the first.

• 2 months later...

Anyone know what's going on at 11702 Euclid the old food co-op site across from the speech center. There is a case report at design review listing Vocon as the company which I assume is the architect. Was that the site for CIA student housing maybe?

Anyone know what's going on at 11702 Euclid the old food co-op site across from the speech center. There is a case report at design review listing Vocon as the company which I assume is the architect. Was that the site for CIA student housing maybe?

Yeah that will be a four story CIA housing building.

Cleveland Planning Commission

Agenda for March 17, 2017

EUCLID CORRIDOR DESIGN REVIEW

EC2017-005 – CIA Student Housing New Construction: Seeking Schematic Design Approval

Project Address: 11702 Euclid Avenue

Project Representative: Denver Brooker, Vocon

CIA_Student_Housing_02.jpg

CIA_Student_Housing_03.jpg

CIA_Student_Housing_05.jpg

CIA_Student_Housing_06.jpg

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

• 4 weeks later...

^have to agree.  Also, remembering my college days, that room rental idea is asking for more problems than they can anticipate.  As a private landlord do you really want to put yourself in a position where you might have to be a conflict resolution counselor?

It's becoming a common business model around college campuses.

http://www.theprovincekent.com/

Being that you have some insight into this type housing, do you think it's a good investment? Increases the up-front costs and makes it harder for first timers I would assume.

(sorry for the late response, but had to jump back in...)

Regarding this being a good investment... Euclid 116 advertises its 4 bedroom apartment as their "best value". It's 1,228 sq ft and $950/month per bedroom. That's a total of $3,800/month or $3.09 per square foot. That's the most expensive residential real estate in the city! Yes, it's furnished, but I doubt it's that high end considering this is student housing. So yes, I'd say it's a good investment.

^^^Function over form.  I love the high-density residences this building brings -- this area needs them -- and the way the building crowds the sidewalks on Euclid and E. 116th.  Not every project is going to be perfect.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

^I drove by this project today.  You guys might like the density but I don't know how this piece of s@$t got pass design review.  The windows and doors look even cheaper in person and there is now this awful red brick at the base going up about 1 1/2 stories which is flat and lifeless, almost fortress like.

Yeah it is to the sidewalk unlike what was there before but it is going to be a wart on Euclid for years to come.

I grew up in a 1970's "colonial" tract house that had storm windows attached to the outside of the primary window frame, causing them to protrude and look generally kind of weird. The windows on this building look very similar.

It looks like they've pushed the windows out so they'll be in plane with whatever the exterior materials are (isn't it a mix of brick and stucco?). Which is a crap design choice as far as aesthetics and is asking for those cheap windows to leak the moment the cheap flashing fails or is installed wrong which it likely is since that is consistently a major problem for these new buildings. It's a shame it couldn't be built to better standards. Plenty of high quality buildings are going up all over town of this scale but this one is falling way short.

Blech.

I remember making comments about this building when it was just a couple elevation renderings and stating it would turn out terribly and receiving some pushback. I really hope it's more clear now that it is a truly trash building. Everything about it is wrong or off.

Eh. Looks ok to me. Just ok.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

• 1 month later...

Was going through some photos I shot on a citywide transit tour in 2008. Part of the tour included checking on the construction of the HealthLine along Euclid Avenue. By this time, MRN's plans for Uptown were well known but still we had doubts of what, if anything would get built. But being an optimist, I took photos of the proposed Uptown site in the hopes that someday we would be doing oohs and ahhs about how much everything had changed. It certainly has! I started by looking west along Euclid toward the intersection of Mayfield/Ford and then taking pictures as I pivoted around to look east on Euclid toward where the East 120th/Euclid Red Line station was.....

36024571841_35faba6b22_b.jpgIMG_1019 by Ken Prendergast, on Flickr

35766256670_199d050ace_b.jpgIMG_1016 by Ken Prendergast, on Flickr

36024567261_fcbd1e90ba_b.jpgIMG_1015 by Ken Prendergast, on Flickr

35766258670_655f3fda26_b.jpgIMG_1018 by Ken Prendergast, on Flickr

My body went numb when looking at the Euclid Corridor construction, empty surface lots and that terrible 1980's Mayfield/Euclid building. What a difference 10 years can make.

And remeber that a lot of folks ragged on the Triangle apts back in the early 90s just after they were built:they were bland, away from the street, encouraged surface parking, etc-- but yet, MRN seamlessly blended them into the Uptown court so that the Triangle is now an exciting, urban experience... That's how you do it.

My body went numb when looking at the Euclid Corridor construction, empty surface lots and that terrible 1980's Mayfield/Euclid building. What a difference 10 years can make.

And remeber that a lot of folks ragged on the Triangle apts back in the early 90s just after they were built:they were bland, away from the street, encouraged surface parking, etc-- but yet, MRN seamlessly blended them into the Uptown court so that the Triangle is now an exciting, urban experience... That's how you do it.

Proof that creative planning and good design can fix bad planning and design without the need to demo everything and start over.

Columbus-based fast-casual chain BIBIBOP offering free food at Cleveland grand opening

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Cleveland's bustling Uptown district will soon add another fast-casual eatery. Columbus-based chain,BIBIBOP Asian Grill, is slated to open Monday, July 31, at 11431 Euclid Ave. According to their Facebook page, they'll be offering a free meal to customers on their grand opening day from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

It's not the only expansion into the Northeast Ohio market. A second BIBIBOP location is expected in Orange's Pinecrest development in 2018.

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/07/columbus-based_fast-casual_cha.html

Those apartments behind the new MoCA? Those are part of an exciting urban experience? They look like a half step up from public housing.

They were top of the line, luxury apartments when built in 1988. I remember how people were talking about them in glowing terms back then. My sister looked at moving in one when she boomeranged from working in Philadelphia in 1989. She said they were nice but the rent was too expensive for her.

Makes you wonder how many of today's new-build apartment buildings will age in the next few years.

Those apartments behind the new MoCA? Those are part of an exciting urban experience? They look like a half step up from public housing.

That's a matter of taste; and I've never been inside a Triangle unit... what I mean is that they look far more interesting attached to an attractive, high-density development like Uptown as opposed to sitting to the rear of surface parking and that small-scale, el-cheapo retail space that existed pre-Uptown.  Interacting with the Triangle buildings at ground level within Uptown, gives the entire space a more urban, New York-like feel... and yes, to me, they're rather attractive; and with balconies, too, an all-too-rare feature for Cleveland mid-to-high rise apts.

Cleveland's BIBIBOP pushes grand opening and free food promotion to new date

Posted on July 31, 2017 at 7:22 AM

By Nikki Delamotte, cleveland.com,

NDelamotteUllmanCleveland[/member].com

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Columbus-based fast-casual chain BIBIBOP Asian Grill was slated to open its first Cleveland location today, but the date has been pushed back. The new opening date for the BIBIBOP in bustling Uptown, located at 11431 Euclid Ave., will be Tuesday, Aug. 8.

The good news: They'll still be offering a free meal to customers thats day from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. You can follow along with any updates on their Facebook event.

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/07/clevelands_new_bibibop_pushes.html

^Passed by and looked inside -- the window covering had been removed... The build-out for BIBIBOP looks inviting.

Clvlndr, is this in the old Dynomite burger spot? 

I think a fitness center is going in the Dynomite spot.

^Passed by and looked inside -- the window covering had been removed... The build-out for BIBIBOP looks inviting.

Clvlndr, is this in the old Dynomite burger spot?

I believe it's in the old first merit spot, or at least part of it.

I was surprised Dynomite failed in that spot.  We ate their once and the sandwiches were good.  And unlike the beer joints that occupied the space before, Dynomite always seemed full or at least buzzing.  And it had tons of outdoor seating  at a prominent corner of Uptown.  All those pluses are wasted now.. I hope Orange fitness works there, but parking is a hassle there and, for me, when I go to work out, the last thing I want to worry about is parking hassles (which is why I'll be sticking with LA Fitness in Beachwood). 

I'd imagine people who go to that Orange Fitness live within walking distance; those kinds of gyms are really geared more to locals like Soul Cycles, neighborhood athletic clubs, cross fit centers, etc, than larger scale gyms like an LA Fitness or Lifetime where large-scale parking is important.

• 3 weeks later...

A press release...

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2017/08/prweb14605127.htm

Cleveland’s Euclid 116 Apartments Opens Its Doors

Berusch Development Partners, a real estate development and advisory firm, has opened its doors to their newest housing project – Euclid 116 Apartments.

CLEVELAND, OHIO (PRWEB) AUGUST 16, 2017

Located at 11611 Euclid Avenue in the Uptown neighborhood of University Circle, Euclid 116 is a newly constructed, 5-story luxury apartment building comprising 89 student rooms and a ground floor retail tenant, Phusion Café, serving modern, Asian style cuisine.

Russell Berusch, President of Berusch Development Partners, thinks the all-inclusive nature of the property and leasing model will be attractive to students and young professionals looking for a low-stress lifestyle. "In conceiving the project, our aim was to accommodate upper class undergraduate and graduate students who want to live near campus in a walkable setting; have an easy, no-hassle arrangement with one rent payment covering furniture, internet and utilities; and the support of an in-residence community assistant and a skilled student housing manager," said Berusch.

The property is professionally managed and leased by Signet Real Estate Group’s Property Management Division. Kirsten Forde, Signet’s RE’s Director of Student Housing, is thrilled with the success of her team’s pre-opening marketing and leasing efforts which have resulted in 100% of the units being fully-leased prior to opening. “Our team has done a tremendous job in the pre-opening to ensure that the property is fully leased when it opens. We are so excited for each of the new tenants to move in and join their awesome new community,” said Kirsten.

Euclid 116 contains a mix of 1, 2 and 4-bedroom suites, each fully furnished and all inclusive, that house undergraduate and graduate students attending Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland Institute of Art and Cleveland Institute of Music, as well as other young, local area professionals.

Its University Circle location in Cleveland lies in the heart of a growing, vibrant community with plenty of walkable amenities and activities such as local restaurants, museums, shopping and world-class academic institutions.

The project is financed by Northwest bank, with support from the City of Cleveland in the form of a standard property tax abatement.

Visit http://www.Euclid116.com

Euclid 116 Apartments

Euclid 116, an all-inclusive, luxury student housing facility in the center of University Circle, was designed with students in mind. “Smart Suites for Serious Students” offer freedom and flexibility for undergraduates, graduates and professional students in Cleveland’s most eclectic and engaging neighborhood. Visit Euclid116.com.

Berusch Development Partners

Our work is grounded in the philosophy that great physical spaces improve a community’s quality of life and economic sustainability. Such places are geographic destinations where people want to live, work and connect. Berusch Development Partners thrive where creativity, analytical thinking, financial know-how, project management, and strong collaborations all come together. Visit Berusch.com.

Signet Real Estate Group

Signet Real Estate’s Group’s Property Management Division operates as a private asset and property management firm for captive and independent healthcare, commercial offices, multi-family housing, hospitality and retail properties. Our team focuses on building an inclusive management approach with owners to grow bottom-line revenues year after year. Visit SignetLLC.com.

###

• 2 weeks later...

Uptown is just a wonderfully busy neighborhood, so much so that I have a hard time remembering the silent, soul-crushing parking lots that once dominated this area....

21106343_10208263810907807_2337705790721270458_n.jpg?oh=446e486803b9c9a45c30335ca43fb883&oe=5A5D1067

Uptown is just a wonderfully busy neighborhood, so much so that I have a hard time remembering the silent, soul-crushing parking lots that once dominated this area....

21106343_10208263810907807_2337705790721270458_n.jpg?oh=446e486803b9c9a45c30335ca43fb883&oe=5A5D1067

It's interesting that, while your photo essay understandably decries the loss of the original Uptown at Doan's Corners from the 1950s forward, the creation of this new Uptown is Cleveland's finest urban neighborhood makeover in my lifetime... it is one of my favorite neighborhoods in the entire metropolitan area.  And no offense to the City, but it's so a-typical, it's almost like it's not even Cleveland.  It's as if you're suddenly transported to some large Eastern City or Chicago.

... Also, as your TOD article noted, the 116 student apt building (the one UOers despise architecturally) is now open and Case/CIA students(?) are living there.  Even though I'm not in love with the design either, I like it because of the density added -- it really makes that 1-block stretch of E.116 seem really tight and narrow -- and with the 3 older apts + the newer, architecturally similar University Village dorms, even a tad New York-ish.  116 also will have ground floor retail -- looks like an eatery -- that hasn't opened yet.