Sign in to follow this  
Guest mrnyc

NBA: General News & Discussion

As sports fans debate over whether Super Bowl LIII was a super bore (IMO not much debate) it was interesting to also see the "Super Bowl Week" that preceded "The Big Game" get totally overshadowed by NBA Hot Stove talk!  And there was alot of NBA Hot Stove to chew over:

• Kyrie Irving now says he not committed to signing that contract extension with the Boston Celtics that he was "fully committed" to signing before this season began.  There's even some rumors that he might rejoin LeBron in LA(!)
  • Anthony Davis (aka The Unibrow) requested a trade out of New Orleans!  He has one year remaining on his contract after this season, so he doesn't have to be traded by the upcoming trade deadline - he could be dealt over the summer.  Some rumors are that LeBron's LA Lakers will work out a trade to acquire AD.  See the previous item for the makings of LeBron's new LAK superteam with Kyrie and AD(!)
  • The New York Knicks traded Kristaps Porzingis (aka the Unicorn) to Dallas for two future 1st-round picks and a bunch of players on expiring contracts.  The Mavs can pair 7'-3" Porzingis and this season's likely rookie-of-the-year Luka Dončić for a dynamic young duo to build around in future seasons.  The Knicks clear $71 million in cap space to go free-agent hunting over the summer -- with KD, Kyrie, Kawhi, Klay and Butler all being potential players for the Knicks to acquire(!)
  • Like 1

I like the Pels playing hardball with the Lakers. Hopefully LeBron is forced to waste one of the few remaining years of his career on a talentless 8 seed.

Also John Wall ruptured his Achilles in a non-basketball accident. Man, the Wizards can’t match the sublime incompetence of the Browns or Kings, but an argument could be made they’re a more miserable franchise. Going on 20 years of underachieving hopelessness.

• Sad 1

In the NBA regular season I've found the annual race to the bottom more compelling than finding out the playoff seedings.  And this season's race to bottom - aka Dyin For Zion - is a great one.  As of this posting at approx 2/11, 7:30pm it is:

• New York Knicks      --  10-45 (.182)
  • Phoenix Suns            --  11-47 (.190)
  • Cleveland Cavaliers  -- 11-45 (.196)
  • Chicago Bulls            -- 13-43 (.232)
  • Atlanta Hawks           -- 18-38 (.321)

BTW - the Cavs host the Knicks tonight(!)

Knicks lost to the Cavs last night.  Congrats to the Knicks for retaining their worst record in the 2018-19 NBA season.  And the Knicks did it in record fashion by setting a franchise-record 17-game losing streak!  No other team is Dyin For Zion as well as the NY Knicks!!

Meanwhile, the Knicks just sent a pitch to season-ticket holders to renew their packages for the 2019-20 season.  Below is the image they sent with that pitch:

47074818251_6678c2c2f0_d.jpg

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25969086/new-york-knicks-use-delete-photo-kevin-durant-ticket-pitch

And then deleted that KD image when the public found out.  As another New Yorker famously said, "No Collusion!"

How are the NBA's ratings this year? I stopped watching when it was clear the league would do anything to have the Warriors win starting 5 years ago. Just this year I've seen multiple late game calls/no calls go in favor of the Warriors it's almost laughable. Like the most egregious calls/no calls I've ever seen. Once KD was 3 feet out of bounds to retrieve a ball and they didn't call it with the ref staring right at him. Took Harden heroics to win that one. Which by the way the Rockets should have been playing the Cavs last year. Completely jobbed by the refs for the entire WCF. This is just from highlights. I can't imagine watching something so clearly rigged.

14 minutes ago, aderwent said:

How are the NBA's ratings this year? I stopped watching when it was clear the league would do anything to have the Warriors win starting 5 years ago. Just this year I've seen multiple late game calls/no calls go in favor of the Warriors it's almost laughable. Like the most egregious calls/no calls I've ever seen. Once KD was 3 feet out of bounds to retrieve a ball and they didn't call it with the ref staring right at him. Took Harden heroics to win that one. Which by the way the Rockets should have been playing the Cavs last year. Completely jobbed by the refs for the entire WCF. This is just from highlights. I can't imagine watching something so clearly rigged.

Why would the NBA want one team to win all the time? Also, refs had nothing to do with Rockets missing 27(!) 3 pointers in a row. 

16 minutes ago, bumsquare said:

Why would the NBA want one team to win all the time? Also, refs had nothing to do with Rockets missing 27(!) 3 pointers in a row. 

I don't think it's the teams, but the players. The NBA is a star league, not a team league. And they like high flying west coast fun guys KD and Curry. They hate blue collar rust belt guys like LeBron. Mostly because they know he'll succeed without them anyway, as he has. He's been allowed to be hacked and bowled over his entire career because he can take it. If he got the same treatment as toothpick KD or hand slap Curry I'm sure he would have 7 championships by now. Remind me again of the free throw discrepancies of last year's WCF?

Edited by aderwent