Sign in to follow this  
punch

Cleveland: Cultural Gardens

I don't think there were many Russians among the main waves of immigration to Cleveland from 1880-1920 or so, except maybe some Russian Jews, who may have felt represented by the Hebrew garden.  I guess it is surprising more recent immigrants haven't pushed for it sooner though.

They sure made up for since 1991! I remember reading that 40,000 Russians came to Greater Cleveland in the first couple of years after the end of the Soviet Union.

Are you pushing for independence from the British garden???

We may see this mass of humanity along MLK Boulevard with some guy with the color of the Scottish flag painted on his face!

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

Point out to me where the nation of LGBT is and I will conceded the need for a garden... give me a break.

^^ I'm also disheartened by the lack of a Scottish garden. Not only has one not come together, but the plot that I thought had been set aside for that purpose (next to the Irish Garden) is now listed as "Future Garden Site". I'm also surprised that there hasn't been a proposal for an LGBT garden.

^^ and ^^^ I'm absolutely pushing for autonomy from the British :) Particularly since the British Garden is really the Shakespeare Garden anyway ... As the very first of the gardens, it only became the British Garden after the Cultural Gardens strategy solidified in the 1930s.

^ Actually, I didn't speak to a need for an LGBT cultural garden, just expressed surprise that no one had advocated for one, particularly given the increasing focus that will likely play out on LGBT contributions to greater Cleveland between now and the 2014 Gay Games. But technically speaking, these are the cultural gardens and not the national gardens. I think we would be equally hard-pressed to find the nations of Hebrew, African America, the American Legion or Cancer Survivors (technically a plaza outside of the Gardens but adjacent to them). But these are all cultural groups with prominent roles in Cleveland history, and I'd say all of them, deserve a site of historic reflection, particularly given the financial support and man hours to build out and maintain their respective gardens. I don't see why the same wouldn't be true of Cleveland's LGBT community if they had the capacity to do the same.

Rusin also is not a country....Before anyone says the Hebrew Garden is for Israel.... Israel was not around when the Hebrew Garden was formed (although the people who made the garden were instrumental to the founding of Israel).  There are also many of us Jews that are Ashkenazi or Sephardic... and our families don't come from Israel.  It's Hebrew culture, not Israeli nationalism.  The LGBT community definitely has a culture, so why can't it have a cultural garden?

The difference is that the gardens to date have almost exclusively been "cultural" as they pertain to national identities.  Nations are not necessarily countries.  I've always seen the cultural gardens as a collection of gardens representing the places around the world from which people have come to Cleveland and established a home.  Aside from the American Legion, it is easy to see how an LGBT garden would stick out in a "Which of these is not like the other?" kind of way.

Certainly not demeaning the value, what I'm saying us just because you can't find the names of the every garden on a map, does not mean that there isn't a pretty well-established theme among the gardens that an LGBT garden would not fit, and that is the theme of celebrating the population's various geographic/national/ethnic origins. 

^ That's definitely valid. Again, my surprise is not that there isn't an LGBT Cultural Garden but that there hasn't been more of a discussion of that possibility, particularly in advance of the 2014 Gay Games. The same could be said about a Seniors Garden in advance of the 2013 Senior Games, perhaps one built around innovations in universal design principles. Just see some opportunities for synergy here (unintended pun, Synergy Foundation :)).

As for whether gardens support states, nations or cultures, I would concur that there's a clear focus on the "nation" concept, although the Cancer Survivors Plaza adjacent to the Cultural Gardens does provide one example of extending the concept of culture. I could similarly see other gardens outside of the official cultural gardens footprint, but nearby like the Plaza, honor cultures that are not nation-related.

Russian Cultural Garden raises funds for the Garden and previews designs

February 17th, 2012 | Post Author: Bill Jones

The Russian Cultural Garden organization raised funds for the Garden and previewed some of the design ideas they have received from Russian and Russian-American landscape designers at their February 15, 2012 program.  The audience was enthralled with the dramatic and extremely accomplished recital by famed Russian pianist, Alexander Ghindin, whose program of piano masterpieces by Franz Liszt was a great success.  The attendant presentation by the Cleveland School of Classic Ballet was a wonderful treat as well.  Below are photos of some of the many design ideas seen February 15.

http://blog.culturalgardens.org/index.php/2012/02/russian-cultural-garden-raises-funds-for-the-garden-and-previews-designs/

italian cultural garden to celebrate installation of new dante statue in june

THURSDAY, APRIL 12, 2012

After three years of fundraising -- and a generous last-minute gift from an anonymous donor -- a bronze statue of Dante Alighieri is now being crafted at Studio Foundry in Cleveland. It will be installed in the Italian Cultural Gardens in Rockefeller Park in June.

"I view this as a Cleveland project," says Joyce Mariani, Executive Director of the Italian Cultural Gardens Foundation, who championed the project after discovering unfinished plans for the Italian Garden that included the Dante sculpture. "It brings back an urban space, and reflects the greatness of what Italy has given the world. We're all beneficiaries of what the Italians have done."

The statue, which costs $135,000, was designed by Italian sculptor Sandro Bonaiuto, who was originally born in Cleveland. It presents Dante in his 30s, around the time he wrote the Divine Comedy, and was created with the aid of three-dimensional models pioneered by Italy's National Committee for Cultural Heritage.

http://freshwatercleveland.com/devnews/italianculturalgardens041212.aspx

• Like 1

Italian Cultural Garden Foundation in midst of $1.2 million restoration/rehabilitation of the Italian Cultural Garden on East Blvd.

Completed: 465,000 as of August 2013.

Pretty substantial. And I take it that it will have a fountain considering it's tapped into the nearby water line.

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

The African-American Cultural Gardens are really coming together, they are going to be a nice addition to the Cultural Gardens as a whole.

Now if only the Brits can do something with their Cultural Garden area. It is IMO the most deteriorated of all the gardens, and in need of a major overhaul/upgrade.

Here's a video of the full plan for the AA garden.  So far it looks like work has concentrated on the "Past Pavilion" at the top of the hill.  As jjames mentioned the water feature goes down the hill through the "present" pavilion and to the "future pavilion at the bottom of the hill close to MLK Drive.  The video also shows the lighting scheme for the garden, which is also substantial and dramatic. 

I'm not very familiar with this, who funds these? Since they are cultural gardens do individual groups, mainly from that culture fund these projects or is the city behind this? Also is the city responsible for the maintenance such as, landscaping and light replacement?

I'm not very familiar with this, who funds these? Since they are cultural gardens do individual groups, mainly from that culture fund these projects or is the city behind this? Also is the city responsible for the maintenance such as, landscaping and light replacement?

The Cleveland Cultural Gardens Federation has a web site with lots of info. Here it is, http://www.clevelandculturalgardens.org

I have heard that the City will be replacing the light posts throughout rockefeller park (currently regular wood poles with cobra-head lights) with more historically appropriate lamps and posts. Has anyone else heard anything about this? is it happening?

• Like 1

I have heard that the City will be replacing the light posts throughout rockefeller park (currently regular wood poles with cobra-head lights) with more historically appropriate lamps and posts. Has anyone else heard anything about this? is it happening?

That would be amazing.  We had been advocating for that for years (A certain organization even offered the city finds to do such a thing a few years ago, but they were not interested).  I will keep my fingers crossed that this is true and that they fix all the other lighting (bridges and such).  Then work on replanting the many trees that have been lost over the years.  The tree canopy has become amazingly barren through the park.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

During Mike White's administration in 1990, there was a serious thinning of the urban forest at Rockefeller Park to pull out diseased specimens and uncrowd healthy young saplings.  Once numerous trees were marked for removal, some environmental activists came in and marked every single tree for removal using identical markings hoping none would be removed. 

This resulted in the city having to conduct another expensive repeat tree inventory with subsequent removal of only the sick trees. I don't have any recollection that many were replaced.  Reforestation of Rockefeller Park is surely in order today. 

What, no statue to Putin??

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2016/04142016/index.php

Cleveland Landmarks Commission

CITY HALL - ROOM 514 - 9:00 AM

AGENDA - April 14, 2016

Case 16-015

Cleveland Cultural Gardens

Russian Cultural Garden 730 Martin Luther King

New garden Phase 1 construction

Russian_Cultural_Garden_02.jpg

Russian_Cultural_Garden_06.jpg

Russian_Cultural_Garden_05.jpg

I can't wait to show the Russian and Ukrainian Cultural Gardens to my fiance and her son. They are ethnic Russians living in Ukraine... until May 8th.

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2016/05262016/index.php

Cleveland Landmarks Commission

CITY HALL - ROOM 514 - 9:00 AM

AGENDA - May 26, 2016

3. Case 16-015; 13-017

Cleveland Cultural Gardens

Russian Garden 730 Martin Luther King, Jr. Dr.

Phase 1 improvements and Besedka Pavilion

Ward 10

J. Johnson

Arcola Whately

Boris Vinogradsky

Russian_Garden_05.jpg

Russian_Garden_01.jpg

Russian_Garden_07.jpg

Russian_Garden_09.jpg

Russian_Garden_10.jpg

• Like 1

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2019/07/how-do-you-put-5000-years-in-a-small-simple-space-a-mosaic-of-history-grows-as-ethiopian-cultural-garden-nears-dedication.html

The Phase One dedication of the Ethiopian Cultural Garden will be Saturday, August 24, from 1-3 p.m. Afterward, there will be a dedication reception at Empress Taytu, the Ethiopian restaurant at 6125 St. Clair Ave., Cleveland.

(I realize this isn’t what you were asking about, but your post reminded me of this article I saw recently.)

• Like 2

^ Thanks!  Good stuff.

But I'm going to try again...🙂

I am still interested if anyone knows anything about the new Cultural Gardens Welcome Center. 

1269 E 99th St,

Cleveland, OH 44108

E.99.jpg

Edited by MuRrAy HiLL
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 8/6/2019 at 7:24 AM, MuRrAy HiLL said:

^ Thanks!  Good stuff.

But I'm going to try again...🙂

I am still interested if anyone knows anything about the new Cultural Gardens Welcome Center. 

1269 E 99th St,

Cleveland, OH 44108

E.99.jpg

@MuRrAy HiLL asks, NPR delivers:

https://wcpn.ideastream.org/news/famicos-foundation-seeks-cleveland-cultural-gardens-welcome-center

Famicos Foundation Seeks Cleveland Cultural Gardens Welcome Center

...Famicos acquired the property from the old Glenville Redevelopment Corporation and is trying to raise $1.6 million to rehabilitate it, Shefton says. So far, the foundation is applying for  federal and state historic tax credits.

• Like 5

On 3/28/2016 at 10:50 AM, MidwestChamp said:

Here's a video of the full plan for the AA garden.  So far it looks like work has concentrated on the "Past Pavilion" at the top of the hill.  As jjames mentioned the water feature goes down the hill through the "present" pavilion and to the "future pavilion at the bottom of the hill close to MLK Drive.  The video also shows the lighting scheme for the garden, which is also substantial and dramatic. 

Did this ever get completed?

It is an interesting design, maybe even beautiful, but I am not sure that I would know it had anything to do with African Americans (looks vaguely Ethiopian to me) as we understand that term.  I guess I was expecting broken chains, etc.

• Dislike 4

15 minutes ago, Terdolph said:

Rather than just give me a down vote, can you explain how the design resonates with AA culture?  I would like to learn.

I wasn't the person that gave the down vote, but their page on the cultural gardens website gives an explanation of how the design is supposed to relate to the African-American experience.

https://www.clevelandculturalgardens.org/gardens/african-american-garden/

• Thanks 1

Thanks, the historical connections are a little bit abstract but once explained they make sense.  Not sure that a visitor just walking through is going to "get it".

Maybe there can be a plaque at the entrance explaining it?

And really, what is with the down votes?

Edited by Terdolph
  • Dislike 1