Guest montecarloss

Urban Ohio "Picture Of The Day"

Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania.

MG_6249.jpg

Broadway Avenue going uphill from the train station is awesome. I could definitely live there if the train service was more than a scenic, short joyride. If it went north to Scranton and south/east to Allentown, Philly and/or New York, then I'd be all in. And I wouldn't have to worry about the traffic on those awful two-lane roads.

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

^not as of yet. He's still trying, I think, although due to the support the carriages are getting he hasn't yet. Needless to say the animal rights activists are miffed. I think they might be phased out next year (I meant the carriages, not the animal rights activists, although we can only hope! lol). I'm sure there will be more protests.

Are the carriages allowed on all city streets or just in Central Park?

I don't know if they're allowed on all streets. I've only seen them on streets in the area of Central Park, maybe a five-block radius, certainly not confined to the park. If one should travel too far from the park, say 34th St, I would say that probably is abusive to a horse (to say nothing of the astronomical cost to the passenger).

I don't know if they're allowed on all streets. I've only seen them on streets in the area of Central Park, maybe a five-block radius, certainly not confined to the park. If one should travel too far from the park, say 34th St, I would say that probably is abusive to a horse (to say nothing of the astronomical cost to the passenger).

The carriages are prohibited from leaving a certain radius around Central Park (I don't know the exact street boundaries).

no and yes. no for customers. yes for the horses going home for the day. one of the coolest things about hanging out ion the westside of manhattan (in hells kitchen area) is to see the streetcart guys and the horse carriages coming and going to their garages and stables. and just like most other ny'ers, the horses live on upper floors in their stables! if yr a horse lover or have time you can go poke your nose in and have a look anytime. heres a blurb about that:

The stables, located off of 11th Avenue at 52nd, 48th, 38th and 37th Streets, are located in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood, and they were all orginally built as horse stables in the late 19th century. All of the stables house the horses on the second and third floors of the building, which are accessed by walking up ramps designed for this purpose.

I heard the land that the stables are on is getting to be worth too much money to keep them there.

yeah that and the mayor wants to ban the horserides alltogether are probably putting a lot of pressure on their continued existence. i know of one that has closed and redeveloped recently. btw there is another much larger horse stable for police horses nearby along the hudson river.

edit - here is a sign i saw today in front of an irish tavern

B3A36BF7-C50F-4083-AD8F-E22A1911EDD5_zpsmbuwn7l2.jpg

20150313-_DSC9594.jpg

National Acme, Cleveland

Wow, there's got to be thousands of multispindle machines manufactured at that facility still in use today.  We have around fifty of them, and 90%+ of the ones we had before the fire are back up and running.

this is the massive united palace in wash hts in upper manhattan. it was built in 1930. it closed as as movie house in 1969, rev. ike bought it for $500k and his church has run it ever since. they rent it out for pop concerts occasionally.

6A0D3698-0CFA-43F0-942D-1EDC5C52E3F5_zpsekl367pm.jpg

11080829_10153105578505516_2766148214046351560_o.jpg

Motorhead literally brought down the house when their loud music caused portions of the ceiling to collapse down on the concertgoers.

Well, I hope to be posting here more. But here's a shot of Bed Stuy from the Chauncey Street J station since we're on a NYC kick. My girlfriend and I stayed there for four nights in April and we might be staying in Bushwick next week. I'm starting to love this city so much. And here's more. I'm trying to write more photo blogs/stories and this is on my last trip to the city. It's nice to be back. I missed this site.

New York City Part II - JeffBSchroeder.com

IMG_0889.jpg

We missed you too!  Welcome back!

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Great shot!

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

The MPH was more than the population.  That ain't right.