Urban Ohio "Picture Of The Day"

Guest montecarloss

15369842835_aea126b2c8_c.jpg

How gentrified has Malcom X Boulevard become lately?

Or is it immigrants?  The guy might be Orthodox Jewish.

LOL--this is actually W Houston & Thompson Sts in the Village. An artist was selling these. In addition to other black historic figures further down the street (Obama, of course) there was an equally large portrait of Donald Trump. I tried to get a picture of it but it was overshadowed by trees and didn't work out so well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

^^^I thought that was Quebec City!

Haha they say it's one of the most beautiful towns on the East Coast. They call it the "Switzerland of America." What I love about it is that it's considered to be in the Coal Region but it's also considered to be the gateway to the Poconos. It really does have an interesting coal-town-but-wait-it's-also-a-ski-town motif. But really, compared to the rest of towns in the coal region, it really doesn't look like a "coal town." Jim Thorpe made out pretty well. I was there two Sundays in a row during peak foliage. One of the most beautiful towns I have ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

lol-I thought I would never see these again. Ages ago, a couple of seasons after the Simpsons premiered someone came up with these Black Bart Simpson t-shirts. I remember one summer they were being sold everywhere on the street. Ultimately the manufacturer was shut down after being threatened with a lawsuit (the best of my recollection). They became quite the collectors item. I spotted these in a "vintage" clothing store window (didn't ask the price)--

16234499699_45dbdb4e91_c.jpg

• 1 month later...

Shot this outside a blues club in Phoenix. This dude was dancing around and filming the band with his camcorder. All while on roller skates.

Edit - had to delete pic.  guess I can't just post from my phone as the image is over sized!

Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania.

MG_6249.jpg

Broadway Avenue going uphill from the train station is awesome. I could definitely live there if the train service was more than a scenic, short joyride. If it went north to Scranton and south/east to Allentown, Philly and/or New York, then I'd be all in. And I wouldn't have to worry about the traffic on those awful two-lane roads.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

^not as of yet. He's still trying, I think, although due to the support the carriages are getting he hasn't yet. Needless to say the animal rights activists are miffed. I think they might be phased out next year (I meant the carriages, not the animal rights activists, although we can only hope! lol). I'm sure there will be more protests.

Are the carriages allowed on all city streets or just in Central Park?

I don't know if they're allowed on all streets. I've only seen them on streets in the area of Central Park, maybe a five-block radius, certainly not confined to the park. If one should travel too far from the park, say 34th St, I would say that probably is abusive to a horse (to say nothing of the astronomical cost to the passenger).

I don't know if they're allowed on all streets. I've only seen them on streets in the area of Central Park, maybe a five-block radius, certainly not confined to the park. If one should travel too far from the park, say 34th St, I would say that probably is abusive to a horse (to say nothing of the astronomical cost to the passenger).

The carriages are prohibited from leaving a certain radius around Central Park (I don't know the exact street boundaries).

no and yes. no for customers. yes for the horses going home for the day. one of the coolest things about hanging out ion the westside of manhattan (in hells kitchen area) is to see the streetcart guys and the horse carriages coming and going to their garages and stables. and just like most other ny'ers, the horses live on upper floors in their stables! if yr a horse lover or have time you can go poke your nose in and have a look anytime. heres a blurb about that:

The stables, located off of 11th Avenue at 52nd, 48th, 38th and 37th Streets, are located in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood, and they were all orginally built as horse stables in the late 19th century. All of the stables house the horses on the second and third floors of the building, which are accessed by walking up ramps designed for this purpose.

I heard the land that the stables are on is getting to be worth too much money to keep them there.

yeah that and the mayor wants to ban the horserides alltogether are probably putting a lot of pressure on their continued existence. i know of one that has closed and redeveloped recently. btw there is another much larger horse stable for police horses nearby along the hudson river.

edit - here is a sign i saw today in front of an irish tavern

B3A36BF7-C50F-4083-AD8F-E22A1911EDD5_zpsmbuwn7l2.jpg

20150313-_DSC9594.jpg

National Acme, Cleveland

Wow, there's got to be thousands of multispindle machines manufactured at that facility still in use today.  We have around fifty of them, and 90%+ of the ones we had before the fire are back up and running.

this is the massive united palace in wash hts in upper manhattan. it was built in 1930. it closed as as movie house in 1969, rev. ike bought it for $500k and his church has run it ever since. they rent it out for pop concerts occasionally.

6A0D3698-0CFA-43F0-942D-1EDC5C52E3F5_zpsekl367pm.jpg