Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jeff

Dayton: Retail News

$6.5M luxury theater set for Austin Landing

Construction of high-end Cinépolis cinema coming to Austin Landing is expected to cost $6.5 million.

The 52,000-square-foot, 11-theater project is contracted to SMS Architects, according to a recently filed Montgomery County building permit.

More below:

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2015/12/10/6-5m-luxury-theater-set-for-austin-landing.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Wright Brothers-themed bikes to be made in their legacy neighborhood

The commercial arm of the Wright family's foundation is moving to the Wright Dunbar neighborhood, where it will sell Wright brothers branded products.

More below:

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2017/06/07/wright-brothersthemed-bikes-to-be-made-in-their.html

:clap:

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

More great news for 3rd Street! Now if only someone will buy that former car dealership building at 3rd and Mound and turn it into a brewery for my sake...

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Macy's to add outlet store at Dayton Mall

macys-backstage-comes-spotlight.jpg

A Dayton-area Macy's location will soon add an outlet store.

A building permit submitted to the Montgomery County Building Regulations Division shows the Macy's store at the Dayton Mall will undergo partial remodeling in order to add a Macy's Backstage location within the store.

Macy's Backstage was introduced by the Cincinnati-based retailer in 2015 as a discount outlet division of the chain. There are currently Macy's Backstage locations in 17 states, but the Dayton Mall location would be the first to open in Ohio.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2018/02/21/macys-to-add-outlet-store-at-dayton-mall.html

In other Dayton Mall news, I bought the Phasers on Stun store within it back in April and turned it into one of my Super Game Team stores. We specialize in retro video games, trading card games and comics at this location. CDM was always calling my stores comic book stores and now it's finally true!

https://www.facebook.com/SuperGameTeamDayton/

The death of retail continues:

REPORT: Elder-Beerman going out of business; all stores to close in 10 to 12 weeks

— As Bon-Ton Stores Inc. heads for liquidation, local officials are bracing for employment loss and empty tenant spaces at Elder-Beerman locations at area malls and shopping centers.

Only two bids from liquidators were submitted at the bankruptcy auction Tuesday for Bon-Ton Stores Inc., the parent company of Elder-Beerman, according to Reuters. Elder-Beerman employs hundreds in the Dayton region, with stores at multiple shopping centers and a distribution center in Fairborn.

Seeking Alpha, an investment analyst website, reported Bon-Ton CEO William Tracy sent a letter to employees late Tuesday that said the company will begin an orderly wind-down of operations following the liquidation process. 

https://www.whio.com/business/breaking-elder-beerman-likely-going-out-business-without-bid-from-buyer/FVmHrBWUUqjjebo25sGzJM/

It's sad to see one of the few remaining regional department store brands kicking the bucket.

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Meh, not surprised.  I haven't been in an Elder-Beerman since the 90's.

I wonder if this'll hasten the death of the Sears at both of the malls; I guess Sears at least still has appliances going for it but both of the Dayton-area stores have been looking pretty sad.

Not sure. Over the past 10-15 years it seemed that E-B turned into kind of an "old lady store" whereas that's not Sears' main demo.

Can confirm. It's my 90-year old grandma's favorite store, she will be devastated.

I'm not convinced this is the nail in the coffin for E-B / Bon-Ton.

Washington Prime Group (formerly Glimcher) and the other mall owners on the original bid are still financially OK and would be taking a big risk by letting these anchor their anchor stores, each in a different mall, go under.

Even if they buy out the rights to Bon Ton and operate it at a loss it's probably smarter for them to do that than take the financial hit on their leases of devaluing their malls without that anchor.... unless they have the money to spend to demolish and repurpose all of the old Bon Ton stores.

Sears is an interesting and very different case because they own most all of their own stores, with the exception of their newer locations in places like The Mall at Fairfield Commons, Polaris Fashion Place, etc. which they lease.

Even Toys-R-Us had an offer submitted to purchase it by the billionaire majority owner of Bratz and Hasbro... it failed but the circumstances are different, toy makers won't be short sales channels but mall owners are short potential anchor stores. IMO Washington Prime and the other mall owners would be fools to let this slip through.... and the liquidators who are the top bidders know this is the case. They will end up getting top dollar for these stores IMO unless the mall owners are willing to throw in the towel and go bankrupt now.

The ONLY reason I'm posting this is that I'm shocked there are no Ross locations in the state of Ohio.  That's unusual.

Discount retailer to open two Dayton-area locations

42801110150661084834701724688596n*750xx773-435-94-0.jpg

A California-based discount retailer has plans to open two Dayton-area locations.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2018/08/07/discount-retailer-to-open-two-dayton-area.html

Bowling and entertainment venue sets opening date for first Dayton-area location

An opening date has been set for a new bowling and entertainment venue at a local mall.

Round1 Entertainment, a Japan-based amusement store chain, will open its first Dayton-area location Nov. 23 at The Mall at Fairfield Commons. It will occupy the lower level of the former Sears store, which permanently closed in 2018.

The grand opening event will include special giveaways for guests. The first 200 customers will receive a free, limited edition T-shirt with any purchase, excluding food and beverage. Guests that stop by between 10 a.m. and noon will be entered to win one $250 game card and five $50 game cards.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2019/11/14/bowling-and-entertainment-venue-sets-opening-date.html

img1800*1200xx6720-3787-0-691.jpg