Sign in to follow this  
Guest noozer

Cleveland: Local Media News & Discussion

20 minutes ago, surfohio said:

Questions:

When I visited the 'Wood recently I was shocked to see 1. the live salsa music club that Barroco folks were opening turned into a bridal shop, and 2. the Dispensary turned into a very strange looking and perhaps atomic bomb-proof residential building. I read news online 18 hours a day, every day. So why the hell didn't I know these things happened?

Because Sun Newspapers has gone away. No one covered Lakewood better than we did back in the day (ie: before 2010 or so). 

And it's not just Lakewood. I realize that @mjarboe is on maternity leave. But so far only Stan Bullard at Crain's has reported on the downsizing of nuCLEus (other than my blog, which reported it first). And no one has yet to report on the Westinghouse acquisition and potential redevelopment (again, other than my blog). And... Has anyone other than my blog reported on the sale of the county engineer's property?? Has anyone other than my blog reported on Greater Cleveland's job growth doubling the national average in the latter half of 2018? Or is this a narrative that local media can't wrap their Eyore heads around? C'mon, local media. Get your butts in gear. My blog doesn't reach enough readers yet to make a difference in informing the public about what's going on in Cleveland's economy.

These are all pretty important developments. Where is the media??

• Like 2

"Save the planet. Move to the city." -- The Downtowner podcast

23 hours ago, KJP said:

Because Sun Newspapers has gone away. No one covered Lakewood better than we did back in the day (ie: before 2010 or so). 

And it's not just Lakewood. I realize that @mjarboe is on maternity leave. But so far only Stan Bullard at Crain's has reported on the downsizing of nuCLEus (other than my blog, which reported it first). And no one has yet to report on the Westinghouse acquisition and potential redevelopment (again, other than my blog). And... Has anyone other than my blog reported on the sale of the county engineer's property?? Has anyone other than my blog reported on Greater Cleveland's job growth doubling the national average in the latter half of 2018? Or is this a narrative that local media can't wrap their Eyore heads around? C'mon, local media. Get your butts in gear. My blog doesn't reach enough readers yet to make a difference in informing the public about what's going on in Cleveland's economy.

These are all pretty important developments. Where is the media??

Sounds like they just need to hire a freelancer!  😉😉

• Like 1

Wow, who will be left on The Plain Dealer side of the operation? Would they be "offered" equivalent (lower paying) positions on the cleveland.com side? Why hasn't the cleveland.com owner gone with the online paywall approach when other mid-sized and smaller newspapers have?

As an ex-pat Clevelander, I rarely check cleveland.com except for a few writers between an unusable website and clickbait tabloid content. When I was home for Christmas, I clicked on a list of "50 Best Bars in Cleveland" thinking it could give me new places to check out. Instead, someone just copied/pasted top 50 bars from Yelp!

Cleveland Scene produces more stories of interest to me, and, for local Cleveland sports, I subscribe to The Athletic.

• Like 1

Hasn't that been the playbook for newsrooms across the country? Vultures run the paper into the ground, extracting every penny on the way. Then sell the only tanglible assets like the PD building downtown. There is no getting out of the death spiral until the equity firm sells them.

• Like 1

Paper, ink, and the movement of same cost lots of money.  Electrons move at lightspeed, they allow more instant and timely coverage of the news.   It used to cost lots of money to distribute them.    Not any more.

High speed electronic communications have been the biggest shift in our culture since the internal combustion engine.  In part for the same reason:  decentralization and independence from the schedules of others.    The same thing has happened to books, movies, and music.   Moreso to news, because it is more immediate.

The main thing slowing these trends down is habit among consumers.   As people get out of these habits, the trends accelerate.

Newspapers are having a tough time across the country trying to figure out how to operate in this new economy, with ad revanues drastically changing.

What I cannot understand for the life of me, is what “Advance Ohio’s” business model is. It’s makes no sense whatsoever.

To begin, the only reason that makes sense for spinning-off Cleveland.com into a separate company is to avoid having unionized employees. Why else would you want to purposefully duplicate operations like that. 

And I totally agree with FleetotheCleve; I have a hard time believing not having a paywall for Cleveland.com generates more revanue over the long-run.

All of this is only going to harm the community (it’s already hard enough to find out what’s going on in Cleveland City Hall, let alone the suburbs). And just so one of the richest families in the country can squeeze out a few more dollars. 😡

https://www.politico.com/magazine/amp/story/2018/05/13/denver-post-profits-newspaper-industry-218360

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Enginerd said:

Newspapers are having a tough time across the country trying to figure out how to operate in this new economy, with ad revanues drastically changing.

What I cannot understand for the life of me, is what “Advance Ohio’s” business model is. It’s makes no sense whatsoever.

To begin, the only reason that makes sense for spinning-off Cleveland.com into a separate company is to avoid having unionized employees. Why else would you want to purposefully duplicate operations like that. 

And I totally agree with FleetotheCleve; I have a hard time believing not having a paywall for Cleveland.com generates more revanue over the long-run.

All of this is only going to harm the community (it’s already hard enough to find out what’s going on in Cleveland City Hall, let alone the suburbs). And just so one of the richest families in the country can squeeze out a few more dollars. 😡

https://www.politico.com/magazine/amp/story/2018/05/13/denver-post-profits-newspaper-industry-218360

@Enginerd That because Advanced Publications is trying to run all of it's "local newspapers" equally with no individuality or REAL local management.  All these saving and attention goes into running the Conde Nast Brands.