noozer

Cleveland: Local Media News & Discussion

7 minutes ago, GISguy said:

I got my first year with a killer intro offer but honestly, I just renewed and ~$50ish for a full year really isn't that bad considering what you get on nearly a weekly basis. It'll be nice to have the tandem of Michelle and Stan B., instead of having Stan cover 3ish stories for each issue. 

Just checked.  $79 for the year on the website.  Or 5 weeks for $5?    That would be a better deal to keep renewing every 5 weeks.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cleburger said:

Just checked.  $79 for the year on the website.  Or 5 weeks for $5?    That would be a better deal to keep renewing every 5 weeks.  

Whoa, does that include their lists? Sounds like it. I get print and digital for $48 and that wasn't an intro offer. Let me see what I can dig up.

Edit: just checked, you're correct....sorry for doubting (I know their lists cost extra...) ...follow them on LinkedIn and twitter/fb to see when they have their deals. 

Edited by GISguy
  • Like 1

cleveland.com has won it's well earned race to the bottom. Just clicked on it, and under "news" this is a top story. A dumb opinion piece about walkers in strongsville (are there any?) and the "parade of broken bones" on the horizon since the sidewalks have been made ADA accessible. Can't make this stuff up.

"Lunn and Pearl roads is almost as steep as a ski jump."

https://www.cleveland.com/letters/2020/05/strongsville-curb-modifications-are-a-safety-hazard.html

Edited by metrocity
  • Haha 1

I didn't read the article, but I will say that ADA ramps have a surprising propensity for creating trip hazards.  There are a couple on Euclid you have to be real careful of.  At my business, we have an ADA ramp at our entrance which caused several people to trip within the first couple weeks we were open.  We ended up having to install a rail around the entire thing, turning our entrance into something akin to a cattle chute.  It's messed up ingress/egress to our tasting room ever since.  We've had one customer in a wheelchair in 3.5 years of being open.

8 hours ago, metrocity said:

cleveland.com has won it's well earned race to the bottom.

A while back someone (maybe a member of this forum?) commented on another site that the PD (including cleveland.com) is "written and edited for people who don't buy newspapers."

An astute observation.

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with optimism, as long as you don't get your hopes up.

3 hours ago, X said:

I didn't read the article, but I will say that ADA ramps have a surprising propensity for creating trip hazards.  There are a couple on Euclid you have to be real careful of.  At my business, we have an ADA ramp at our entrance which caused several people to trip within the first couple weeks we were open.  We ended up having to install a rail around the entire thing, turning our entrance into something akin to a cattle chute.  It's messed up ingress/egress to our tasting room ever since.  We've had one customer in a wheelchair in 3.5 years of being open.

Two observations:

1. City’s are required by law to have a plan to make their sidewalks ADA compliant. They will be sued if they do not create and execute said plan.

2. ADA curb ramps have very detailed construction requirements, and I can say with 99% certainty that the ones mentioned were not properly constructed. Many contractors do not know, or do not care when installing them.

Edited by Enginerd
  • Like 1

I’ve packed in Twitter and refuse to look at Cle.com, so this quietly snuck by me yesterday and maybe most other people too. The de-facto end of the Plain Dealer 

https://m.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2020/05/13/death-of-plain-dealer-arrives-sunday-clevelandcom-to-produce-all-local-content-for-paper

Edited by roman totale XVII
  • Sad 1

And they reckon that the last thing she saw in her life was
Sting, singing on the roof of the Barbican

8 hours ago, newyorker said:

Crains will be in a run for their money.  No wonder they signed Michelle so quickly.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/cleveland/

idk if digital only is the way to go for a business journal. It seems like offices (well, we'll see after covid) but it seems like physical copies lend themselves well to offices...

The latest reminder that Cleveland no longer has a real newspaper. The tone-deafness and lack of understanding of story prominence and newsworthiness here is mind-blowing....

Edited by KJP
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

4 hours ago, KJP said:

The latest reminder that Cleveland no longer has a real newspaper. The tone-deafness and lack of understanding of story prominence and newsworthiness here is mind-blowing....

This is pathetic! 

It's to be expected. Fill a newspaper with actual journalists and you get actual reporting. Gut the paper of journalists and you don't get actual reporting. What DO you get? Today's Plain Dealer.

Just to be fair though - it's really not their fault. The world around the daily paper has irreversibly changed. We've chosen to get our news from other sources and advertisers have followed suite. If we still preferred to get our news the old fashioned way newspapers would still be filled with great reporting. It's really only a matter of time until the US has a handful of great papers and the rest will just fade away. 

As an old white guy reading the morning paper has been one of my guilty pleasures for decades. Not so much anymore. Sucks to get old.

Perhaps this topic has been fully-vetted elsewhere but just in case it hasn’t... I’ve been surprised at the lack of coverage around what I foresee as a tax revenue apocalypse for Cleveland as well as many other large cities.  But focusing on Cleveland, isn’t the city in a doomsday scenario with the work from home world we are now in?  I don’t think this is just a fad.  I think work from home is here to stay for a lot of people, especially high-earners / income tax payers.  This tax revenue is going to stay in the suburbs at a suddenly much higher rate than anyone expected.  Isn’t this backbreaking for a city like Cleveland which depends so much on tax revenue from out of city workers?  It seems like a revenge of the suburbs dynamic.  Of course so goes the city, eventually so goes the suburbs. If there was a time for necessary regionalism, isn’t that time now?  I feel like Cleveland is the Titanic and it just hit the iceberg and no one thinks it’s a big deal and is too distracted to care anyway.  But the ship is sinking and banding together as a region long ago might have kept it afloat.  Too late now?  Am I being way too pessimistic?  I hope so. 

• Like 1

I share your concern. With Covid-19 and now this, Cleveland and many other cities just got a 1-2 punch to the head.  While other cities will likely recover, I am a bit worried about Cleveland.  But we are digressing.  Getting back on topic, I canceled my subscription to the PD a couple years ago.  Occasionally, I pick up a copy of Sunday PD at the store, but it seems to be a waste of $3.

Edited by skiwest

2 hours ago, Boomerang_Brian said:

Scene Is Closing Comment Sections on Stories as of Today

https://m.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2020/06/22/scene-is-closing-comment-sections-on-stories-as-of-today

It’s a shame that disrespectful trolls make this a necessary step for so many local news platforms. 

Its a shame that Sam Allard and crew at Scene write such inflammatory pieces. They deserve all comments thrown their way and - as per the norm - radicals like those have no tolerance for opposing opinions.  

Edited by eyehrtfood

^ You mean to say there’s ‘some very fine people on both sides?’

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And they reckon that the last thing she saw in her life was
Sting, singing on the roof of the Barbican

1 hour ago, eyehrtfood said:

Its a shame that Sam Allard and crew at Scene write such inflammatory pieces. They deserve all comments thrown their way and - as per the norm - radicals like those have no tolerance for opposing opinions.  

Maybe they felt it was less about tolerating opposing opinions, and more about the bots, trolls, and idiots making for unproductive dialogue. There was never anything of substance posted about the article itself, just ramblings about their perception of Scene's political leaning. If that's the "opposing opinion" being silenced, then good riddance.

• Like 3

Does anyone here have a Cleveland Biz Journal subscription?  Can you recommend?

I already have a Crain’s subscription and am wondering if the content is different enough to make another subscription worthwhile.

2 minutes ago, Sapper Daddy said:

Does anyone here have a Cleveland Biz Journal subscription?  Can you recommend?

I already have a Crain’s subscription and am wondering if the content is different enough to make another subscription worthwhile.

I just saw a Facebook ad for the very same.  Had never heard of it before.  

Cleveland Biz Journal is owned by Advance Local. Not really interested in supporting their growth in the area.

Edited by Mendo
  • Like 4