Jump to content
buildingcincinnati

Columbus: Short North Developments and News

Recommended Posts

Construction pic posted 10/31 at https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-october-2019-2-we1 of work beginning on a new five-story mixed-use apartment building at Third Avenue and High Street:

construction-oct-2019-14.jpg

 

CU also has a rendering of what this five-story mixed-use building will look like at https://www.columbusunderground.com/more-details-unveiled-for-new-five-story-short-north-building-we1

third-high-02.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Pablo said:

^They are correcting drainage issues. The asphalt wasn't installed with correct grades and water was collecting at some of the curb ramps.

What a shame. "Measure twice, cut once.."

 

They have been applying these changes since about September. Really makes the finished product look worse because of the patchwork; however, i am happy to see that it is being taken care of. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Pablo said:

^^That CU photo is so out of date. The podium slab was completed in October and crews are working on stair towers.

 

That CU photo update was a mess altogether, this paired with the Harrison West project they included that has been stalled for years. CU has fallen apart.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Pablo said:

^They are correcting drainage issues. The asphalt wasn't installed with correct grades and water was collecting at some of the curb ramps.

 

30 minutes ago, NightNectar said:

What a shame. "Measure twice, cut once.."

 

They have been applying these changes since about September. Really makes the finished product look worse because of the patchwork; however, i am happy to see that it is being taken care of. 

 

Those ADA-mandated ramps can be notoriously tricky when it comes to drainage issues.  I'd give them a break on this one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe they repaint the crosswalks, they'll properly mark them with striped crossings.

 

Jk who am I kidding 😞

 

I I swear it's become my life's mission to correct this, lol

Edited by Zyrokai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Zyrokai said:

Maybe they repaint the crosswalks, they'll properly mark them with striped crossings.

 

Jk who am I kidding 😞

 

I I swear it's become my life's mission to correct this, lol

Go to a city council meeting and voice your opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First Look: Moxy Hotel

 

moxy-00.jpg

 

The first Moxy Hotel in Ohio softly opened its doors to customers last week, and kicked things off in style with a grand opening party last night. This boutique Marriott brand focuses on a young and hip clientele with contemporary decor, a swanky bar on the second floor and outdoor balcony views that overlook the Short North into Downtown Columbus.

 

More below:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/first-look-moxy-hotel-we1

 

moxy-04.jpg

  • Like 2

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, ColDayMan said:

 

 

moxy-04.jpg

 

 

I kind of hate that they took the faux metal trim off the top of the Graduate Hotel, it looks bland and out of place.

Edited by wpcc88
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pablo said:

^^That CU photo is so out of date. The podium slab was completed in October and crews are working on stair towers.

Yep.  Here's a current picture I grabbed on my way home today:

 

 

20191107_165220.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wpcc88 said:

 

 

I kind of hate that they took the faux metal trim off the top of the Graduate Hotel, it looks bland and out of place.

I'm a little confused, do you mean this 6 inch strip around the top? I wouldn't say that changes the look of the building in any meaningful way. I would think the 10 story mural would make up for it. Screenshot_20191108-001407.thumb.png.ca88bf99c5ff558c5c9891dd7996b770.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 17thState said:

I'm a little confused, do you mean this 6 inch strip around the top? I wouldn't say that changes the look of the building in any meaningful way. I would think the 10 story mural would make up for it. Screenshot_20191108-001407.thumb.png.ca88bf99c5ff558c5c9891dd7996b770.png

 

I believe they are referring to the old 'awning' of sorts that went around the building before. 

Screenshot_20191108-071748_Chrome.jpg

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DTCL11 said:

 

I believe they are referring to the old 'awning' of sorts that went around the building before. 

Screenshot_20191108-071748_Chrome.jpg

 

BINGO! I understand not keeping the middle part because of the addition, however the top would've at least made the building look "modern." 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.thisweeknews.com/business/20191006/short-north-development-pioneer-has-had-front-row-seat-for-transformation

 

I've been meaning to post this profile the Dispatch ran back in October about Sandy Wood, founder of the Wood Companies, who was one of the pioneers in transforming the Short North.  Wood, a St. Louis native, moved to Columbus in 1962 to take a job with Huntington Bank.  Twenty years later, he founded the Wood Companies.  Today the company, run by his sons, Mark and John, owns almost 1 million square feet of property in the Short North, making it the largest landowner along High Street in the neighborhood.

 

The article is filled with some great Q & A and some colorful stories of the pre-transformed days, like the following:

 

"Sandy Wood vividly recalls the first High Street building his firm, the Wood Companies, restored.  A woman in her underwear brandishing a butcher knife met him at the door when he tried to collect rent.  Now, that building houses an ice cream shop that sells Brandied Banana Brule for $12 a pint."

 

That building (shown below with Sandy Wood) at the northeast corner of Lincoln & High is building from that story.  It's now well known as the American Gothic building, for its revised mural version of the American Gothic painting on the Lincoln Street side of the building:

AR-191008863.jpg

 

This is another view of the American Gothic building at 714 N. High Street and a view of the Wood Companies most recently completed project across the street at 711 N. High Street - a 9-story mixed-use retail/office building built on a surface parking lot.

EP-191008863.jpg

 

You can read the entire Q & A at the link, but I really liked this question and answer regarding the High and Lincoln (aka American Gothic) building and the Wood Companies philosophy of purchasing and retaining the buildings they renovate:

 

Q:  You still own the High and Lincoln building.  Did that help you develop your company’s philosophy of developing and keeping buildings instead of selling them?

 

A:  I didn’t know you were supposed to develop them and sell them, in the first place.  In the second place, I couldn’t have gotten out what I had in them.  Because we had a long-term vision, we put everything we had into them.  I mortgaged my home, borrowed everything we could and worked without a salary.  We formed a partnership for each project and I got outside investors to come on.  I got 90-some of them. ... Those were cold calls.  I sat down on the phone to make cold calls to sell people on investing down here. ... We plowed everything we had into it.  Now, we’re more comfortable, but that’s always been our philosophy, to put more equity into a project for a long-term investment.

 

Full Q & A:  https://www.thisweeknews.com/business/20191006/short-north-development-pioneer-has-had-front-row-seat-for-transformation

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2019 at 10:35 AM, DevolsDance said:

 Oh yeah, and getting the freaking cornice pieces for the Brunner Building!

 

There were scissor lifts in front of the Brunner today but I was not able to confirm whether or not they are finally putting the cornice pieces on by the time we passed by. 

 

Can anyone verify? Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TH3BUDDHA said:

Saw this while walking through the Short North last night.  Not sure if it was talked about on here, but Fabian's next to Mac's closed recently.  Looks like Pinot's Pallete is taking the space.  https://www.pinotspalette.com/

 

 

 

20191120_195731.jpg

 

Bridge Park was stealing back the suburban women and Short North has decided to fight back and give them a reason to keep 'em coming 'downtown'. 

 

Wait for it.... in 2 months a new location will be announced in.... BRIDGE PARK!

 

The first Pinot Location in central ohio opens in Powell in December. 

 

All jesting aside, I am kind of glad to see an art focused business go in. May not be my idea of a fun time but it is another element of the arts for the arts district. 

Edited by DTCL11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2019 at 9:45 PM, TH3BUDDHA said:

A bunch of letters in the Columbus wording on the Graduate Hotel have been torn off.

20190912_204116.jpg

 

I don't have a photo but the individual Columbus lettering has been replaced with a single-piece sign.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got one 😉

 

spacer.png

 

I have the hardest time with images. I don't know why, but when I use the "insert other media" button and then select "insert image from URL" and then I pasted the above URL, it just flashes red and won't put it in. Anyone have a trick? I've done it this way before and it worked fine for me, though.....

 

Edit: Solved! Thank you!

Edited by Zyrokai
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Zyrokai said:

I got one 😉

 

https://imgur.com/a/uX3tefL

 

I have the hardest time with images. I don't know why, but when I use the "insert other media" button and then select "insert image from URL" and then I pasted the above URL, it just flashes red and won't put it in. Anyone have a trick? I've done it this way before and it worked fine for me, though.....

You're linking to the imgur album. Get the photo in its own tab and then you don't even have to "insert". Any link that ends with .jpg will automatically imbed itself.

 

60oIo2f_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, aderwent said:

You're linking to the imgur album. Get the photo in its own tab and then you don't even have to "insert". Any link that ends with .jpg will automatically imbed itself.

 

Thank you for the tip! I'm also fairly new to using imgur, so I appreciate it.

 

I also noticed they did some work with the trees. I think they planted new ones finally that they cut down earlier because they were dead. Didn't get to check all of them yet but .......yeah there are new trees!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wait, so they made that olden people apt building on warren and high into something called the graduate hotel? i used to live across the street, so very strange to see this.

 

i see my old landlord sandy wood is still looking good. ha. he must really be raking in loot these days, they bought up a lot of property around there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mrnyc said:

wait, so they made that olden people apt building on warren and high into something called the graduate hotel? i used to live across the street, so very strange to see this.

 

i see my old landlord sandy wood is still looking good. ha. he must really be raking in loot these days, they bought up a lot of property around there.

 

Given the way the Short North has developed over the last two decades, it was more strange to have an apartment building for low income disabled senior citizens in the middle of the most expensive place in the entire city. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple things that I've been wondering for awhile that hopefully someone can clarify:

 

-Is the moxy hotel going to have the wall of frosted glass facing high street or will that change pending the restaurant opening? If not, that's disappointing. As it is now, it's a bit offputting but the big wooden doors make me think those will be entrances in the future. 

 

-What happened to the mikey's shipping container that they had to being in a pull behind trailer?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 6:32 PM, DTCL11 said:

-Is the moxy hotel going to have the wall of frosted glass facing high street or will that change pending the restaurant opening? If not, that's disappointing. As it is now, it's a bit offputting but the big wooden doors make me think those will be entrances in the future. 

 

 

Looks like there are plastic tarps covering the glass while they work on the restaurant build-out. A couple of them are hanging more loosely now -- it definitely made it look like the glass was frosted before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, .justin said:

 

Looks like there are plastic tarps covering the glass while they work on the restaurant build-out. A couple of them are hanging more loosely now -- it definitely made it look like the glass was frosted before.

 

I noticed this just yesterday! Glad they weren't frosted. I figured it was only temporary, though. There's no way Townhall (the restaurant moving in) would want it like that.

 

Btw I ate at Townhall in Cleveland for the first time recently and thought it was really good and I liked the look of the restaurant. Excited for this new one down here! Although the restaurant is Cleveland-themed (or at least its logo) so it's a been strange, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad it found its own identity. It's a pretty cool place. Interested to see how they differentiate themselves from the Cleveland store. It feels pretty Cleveland-centric. Or maybe they won't change anything and it'll be a Cleveland themed restaurant in Columbus, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I commute on High St through the Short North and have noticed these two completely empty buildings. I find this somewhat surprising. I'm guessing the owners are holding out for high rent tenants. Does anyone know the status of these buildings?

 

This first is at Poplar and High. There are two parcels here with two different owners. I believe the last business to move out was Blick. The apartments seem empty too. The rear portion of the building is fenced off. I wonder if the building is going to be renovated. The former dry cleaners had a proposed tenant a number of years ago but I haven't heard anything in quite some time. There are for lease signs on both properties - hopefully they will be filled soon.

 

image.png.3298130fc8bf5a30c86903f5e1525882.png

 

 

The other is at Starr and High. About 20-25 years ago this building was renovated to provide affordable housing but now it's completely empty. Recently it used to house Flower Child (moved to E. 5th), Roy G. Biv (moved to River & Rich) and Vamp (moved next door to the White Castle building). The apartments above appear empty as well. I haven't seen any For Lease sings. The "L" shaped lot extends back to the alley. Hopefully the owner is not thinking of tearing down the building. I would think with minimal updates the apartments would rent pretty quickly.

 

image.png.276bd620f42cd62b7f1e1829f6eca188.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Pablo said:

I commute on High St through the Short North and have noticed these two completely empty buildings. I find this somewhat surprising. I'm guessing the owners are holding out for high rent tenants. Does anyone know the status of these buildings?

 

This first is at Poplar and High. There are two parcels here with two different owners. I believe the last business to move out was Blick. The apartments seem empty too. The rear portion of the building is fenced off. I wonder if the building is going to be renovated. The former dry cleaners had a proposed tenant a number of years ago but I haven't heard anything in quite some time. There are for lease signs on both properties - hopefully they will be filled soon.

 

image.png.3298130fc8bf5a30c86903f5e1525882.png

 

 

The other is at Starr and High. About 20-25 years ago this building was renovated to provide affordable housing but now it's completely empty. Recently it used to house Flower Child (moved to E. 5th), Roy G. Biv (moved to River & Rich) and Vamp (moved next door to the White Castle building). The apartments above appear empty as well. I haven't seen any For Lease sings. The "L" shaped lot extends back to the alley. Hopefully the owner is not thinking of tearing down the building. I would think with minimal updates the apartments would rent pretty quickly.

 

image.png.276bd620f42cd62b7f1e1829f6eca188.png

 

 

I'm guessing these buildings need quite a bit of work done internally to bring them up to par. If that's the case, I'm sure most potential tenants don't have the appetite for undertaking that type of project when you have newer spaces going up all around them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Pablo said:

I commute on High St through the Short North and have noticed these two completely empty buildings. I find this somewhat surprising. I'm guessing the owners are holding out for high rent tenants. Does anyone know the status of these buildings?

 

This first is at Poplar and High. There are two parcels here with two different owners. I believe the last business to move out was Blick. The apartments seem empty too. The rear portion of the building is fenced off. I wonder if the building is going to be renovated. The former dry cleaners had a proposed tenant a number of years ago but I haven't heard anything in quite some time. There are for lease signs on both properties - hopefully they will be filled soon.

 

image.png.3298130fc8bf5a30c86903f5e1525882.png

 

 

The other is at Starr and High. About 20-25 years ago this building was renovated to provide affordable housing but now it's completely empty. Recently it used to house Flower Child (moved to E. 5th), Roy G. Biv (moved to River & Rich) and Vamp (moved next door to the White Castle building). The apartments above appear empty as well. I haven't seen any For Lease sings. The "L" shaped lot extends back to the alley. Hopefully the owner is not thinking of tearing down the building. I would think with minimal updates the apartments would rent pretty quickly.

 

image.png.276bd620f42cd62b7f1e1829f6eca188.png

 

When flower child was still there, I remember going one time and the power was out. The lady working said it happened all the time and that the wiring was awful. My guess would be it has to be fixed and updated/renovated before it could be rented  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...