buildingcincinnati

Columbus: Short North Developments and News

This is a new condo/retail project proposed for the corner of Hubbard and High Street in the Short North. Check out Columbus Retrometro for more details and a rendering: http://columbusretrometro.typepad.com/

Its hard to make a judgement of the architecture with that type of rendering, but the idea is great for the area. It brings a lot of density without looking too massive.

My first impression is that it's really going to overwhelm the existing neighborhood. Hubbard runs into Kerr one block off High. You'll have three lonely houses sharing the on the block with this massive development looming over the existing singles and doubles on Kerr. It also looks like they'll be vacating the alley, too, which is a shame. It serves as a rough continuation of Pearl St., my favorite little street in the whole wide world of the Short North.

Having said all that, it's better than what's there now: a big nasty fenced-off parking lot and the dodgy-as-heck AAA event rental place.

Ironically, that little section of Italian Village (where I live, by the way) already is a quiet little oasis between Short North and the Summit St. Raceway. This big girl may actually end up spoiling that. Frankly I'd be happier with less ambitious infill.

In summary: Wah! wah!, wah! wah! wah! wah! wah!

EDIT:

I read into the comments & coverage on Columbus Retro Metro and see that the development does NOT vacate the alley, and includes townhomes where now there is currently the empty lot, therefore addressing my infill desires.

All is well. Commence jackhammers and power outages.

Yeah Summit Street Raceway! I've got front row box seats all day long...

Pearl Street is great, just don't park there. Several times I've passed vehicles parked there with their windows open, then noticed the pile of glass on their front seats and on the ground. Lots of break-ins in the middle of the day there.

Hmmmm, It has been a while since the last power outage. It was like twice a week all summer, maybe they are waiting until it gets freakin cold to the cut the power on us. At least that way the food in the fridge won't spoil!

Hmmmm, It has been a while since the last power outage. It was like twice a week all summer, maybe they are waiting until it gets freakin cold to the cut the power on us. At least that way the food in the fridge won't spoil!

Yeah, see now they got this crazy motherfuc*er working at the public utilities commission ready to get all up in AEP's grill the second the lights go out, so we're in good hands now.

Just to put things into perspective, here's the kind of density the 15th largest city in Spain, Vigo, has (we're the 15th largest in the US) with a population just under 300,000:

800px-Vigo98.jpg

According to wikipedia, this city is twice as dense as Columbus. We have a ways to go, as we're really only now getting started. I hope we can avoid such bland high density buildings like those in the pic, I'm guessing it's a "suburb". Places like this are common on the edges of the cities in Spain instead of sprawling suburbs. It could also be a the modern part of the city, doesn't quite have the atmosphere of the old parts.

Developers pushing Short North limits

Business First of Columbus - October 20, 2006

by Brian R. BallBusiness First

The planned Jackson on High project targeted for the Short North has taken a design cue from the name of its street instead of its neighborhood.  Unveiled in April as a five-story, 37-unit project, developer LBH Holdings LLC is now proposing an eight-story tower with 47 condos at 1127 N. High St. LBH Holdings will seek final approval of the project by the Victorian Village Commission Nov. 9, which follows more than a dozen prior meetings.

In June, Commissioner David Brownstein called for the project to serve as an "exclamation point" on the north end of the Short North, the trendy residential and commercial district between downtown and the Ohio State University campus area. The area west of North High Street in the Short North is governed by the Victorian Village Commission, while projects east of North High Street go before the Italian Village Commission.

Designers at Berardi & Partners Inc. took Brownstein up on his call by unveiling plans for an 11-story tower in mid-July. Subsequent meetings scaled the project down to eight.  Other developers have taken notice of the Jackson on High project, which is in a corridor dominated by two- and three-story buildings.

Read more at http://columbus.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2006/10/23/story1.html

And even closer than downtown, try one block east, you have Jeffrey Place and Kramer Place. They start at around $150,000 and $200,000, respectively, for a 700 or 800 sq-ft one-bedroom condo. Oh well, at least we know it can be done and have proof right here.

Condo developer hopes to include garage with Short North project

Monday, November 20, 2006

Mike Pramik, THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Public parking is in short supply in the Short North. But a central Ohio development team plans to address that need as part of a residential proposal.  Arms Properties is floating an idea to build a 250-space public-parking garage as part of a project that would include a 10-story, 179-unit condominium building.  Ibiza Urban Oasis would rise in the place of a nondescript office building in the 800 block of N. High Street.

The urban-infill project is across the street from Arms Properties’ Dakota condo building, which is expected to be occupied in February. Rajesh Lahoti, a co-owner of the development company, said he thinks Ibiza’s biggest asset could be a three-level, public parking garage. "The lack of public parking in the Short North has held us back, especially the business district," Lahoti said. "It’s hurt merchants a lot. This would solve that problem."

Read more at http://www.dispatch.com/business-story.php?story=dispatch/2006/11/20/20061120-G4-01.html

I think people are conflating the parking issue with lack of good public transport. You don't really need lots more parking, you need good public transit, like streetcars, that can take you to/from the Short North. More density also means more customers in your vicinity. Some additional parking is OK, but as we all know here it can go too far and the effects are not good.

Yes, this will be a good project and i cross my fingers that the Italian Village commission will grow some balls and show that they can be progressive and push more dense infill on high st.  The short north has the market for 20 stories, its crazy in my opinion to keep lowering the height levels to please some old farts.

Also, I think this intial image is a quick draw.  The projects accomplished by this same developer already, in the short north, have been of a very high quality and always have a nice outcome.  I am sure this project will look even more impressive than this quick initial drawing.  The glass top should be interesting and provide a nice modern sparkle to north high st.

^I don't even know what that means.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

I had a good time at the Short North Holiday Hop last year until it took me 9 hours to get back to Dayton because of ice.  7 of those 9 hours were at a complete standstill on I-70 because they closed the highway.  But, yeah, the event itself was great.

The height isn't an issue, but it does look out of place with the sex shops. Where are the phallic features? This fits in more with one of the proposed projects going up in Grandview

Council approves Short North condos, parking garage

By Mark Ferenchik, The Columbus Dispatch

Monday, February 12, 2007 11:31 PM

It's what those who work in and visit the Short North have wanted: 250 public parking spaces to ease the crunch.  Columbus City Council approved a new tax-increment-financing agreement tonight that will help pay for a new $14 million parking garage in the area. It will be built as part of a 10-story, 179-unit condominium project at the northeast corner of N. High Street and E. Hubbard Avenue. The garage will be built across Pearl Alley from the condominiums.  Townhouses will be built along Hubbard to shield the garage.

A 2005 study showed a need for 500 parking spaces in the Short North, an area filled with shops, bars and restaurants.  "This is absolutely our No. 1 challenge," said John Angelo, director of the Short North Business Association.  The developers had approached the community, saying they wanted to do the project to help the community, he said.

Read more at http://dispatch.com/news-story.php?story=246318

Ever since Brewmaster brought it up (pretty sure it was), I couldn't help but think while reading this why OSU hasn't proposed to help fund an extension to OSU if they think it's great that students have more local businesses to partonize. Not to mention the typical Columbus focus on there having to be "enough" parking everywhere.

Short on parking

Plan to solve parking woes

Issue date: 2/21/07 Section: Opinion

The Short North is a small, eclectic part of Columbus that makes up the Arts District. It is filled with restaurants, galleries and shops, which makes it a great place to find entertainment. It is home to the year-round gallery hop, which brings an appreciation of the Arts to the heart of Ohio. That is why the Columbus City Council's latest move is a blessing to the Short North's businesses and patrons.

The city council approved a property tax financing plan that will help pay for a $14 million residential parking garage, according to an article printed in The Lantern Friday. The garage, according to the article, will have a total of 500 parking spots, with half reserved for the public and the other half for condominium residents.

Read more at http://www.thelantern.com/media/storage/paper333/news/2007/02/21/Opinion/Short.On.Parking-2733321.shtml?mkey=980474

Parking garage anchoring $40M development plan

Business First of Columbus - April 13, 2007by Brian R. BallBusiness First

The developer who converted the Victorian Gate apartments in Columbus' Short North into condos has tentative plans for a $40 million residential and parking complex overlooking Goodale Park.  Pat Grabill said the proposal is driven not by housing but by his plan to build a 350-slot parking garage that could be used by visitors to the south end of the busy commercial corridor along North High Street.  His plan includes developing as many as 20 loft residences in the historic limestone section of the United Commercial Travelers of America headquarters at 632 N. Park St. and 28 other condos nearby.

Plans by NBBJ show three levels for 22 penthouses atop four or five stories of parking facing North High Street, pushing the top of the building to 82 feet above the sidewalk. Two more levels of parking would be below the surface.

Read more at http://columbus.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2007/04/16/story3.html?page=2&b=1176696000^1446506

In case anyone is too lazy to click the link (aka people like me), here is the rendering from the article:

78877-400-0.jpg?rev=2

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

I love the density of the new project, but got really turned off reading about the huge focus on the parking garage.  bleh.

What does the city get out of these parking garage deals anyway?  Do they share in the revenues? 

Yeah - It would be nice if they were underground, or residences built on top of parking -

But, the area certainly does need some parking, for now anyway (you know, as long as everyone is still driving cars around)

I love the density of the new project, but got really turned off reading about the huge focus on the parking garage.  bleh.

What does the city get out of these parking garage deals anyway?  Do they share in the revenues?

I agree...its totally focused on this damn parking garage.  But I guess if its necessary to spur other investment then so be it.  Although I think the parking availability craze is a bit much sometimes.

I'm guessing that hideous glass thing in the background of the rendering is the parking garage...is that correct or am I wrong on that??

No, not fewer white people...

Short North Arches Go Technicolor at September Gallery Hop

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Short North Arts District, Columbus, OH - On Saturday, September 1, at 9:00PM, the Short North will throw the switch on the final phase of the High Street Arches renovation. The iconic arches will transform into an array of brilliant colors and effects that will become the signature feature of the nationally acclaimed Arts District.

The 17 High Street arches sprang back to life in late May, as the lighting was completely re-engineered and upgraded with LED technology. Since then, the arches have steadily glowed incandescent white. Beginning September 1, the arches will pulse and shimmer with the artistic energy and diverse vibrancy of the Short North.

What:

September Gallery Hop Celebrates “Summer Days and Technicolor Nights”

Color transformation with “glowing procession” will begin at Poplar and travel northward throughout the District

When:

Saturday, September 1 • 9:00PM

Where:

The 17 arches along High Street

Who:

The Short North Special Improvement District and the Short North Business Association

“The effects will be amazing,” comments Sharon O’Brien, board member of the Short North SID. “This is the real eye-popper we’ve been waiting for since we began the project. Every bulb on every arch can be individually programmed to produce a million different effects. The lights can morph from one color to another, pulse and even appear to travel up and down the district.”

John Angelo, Director of the Short North Business Association (SNBA), adds: “The programmed arches will be unlike anything seen in the Midwest. In addition to adding to the experiential offerings of the Short North, the mile-long strip of High will become a barometer of major happenings in Columbus. The strip might be pink the night before the Race for the Cure. It could be silver, gold and white for the winter holidays. It could be a rolling rainbow for ComFest and the Pride Festival. The possibilities are endless.”

The arches were designed and installed as part of a collaborative effort between the City of Columbus and the Short North Arts District, working directly with the Short North Special Improvement District (SID). The programming of the arches will also be managed collaboratively by the city, the SID and the SNBA.

Look for up-to-the-minute news on the evening’s happenings at www.ShortNorth.org”

http://www.shortnorth.org/news.asp?n=69

digging has started, they are doing the basic utility work now

Here we go!

Columbus Business First

Short North condos under construction

Developer JBH Holdings LLC has started work on its 43-condominium Jackson on High project in the Short North of Columbus.

Construction crews began utility work for the $17 million project Aug. 17 as the developer moves toward finalizing financing through the Columbus branch of Michigan-based Citizens Bank.

JBH Principal Brad Howe said the project at 1127 N. High St. has 12 signed contracts with 5 percent down payments and eight are set to close by late September.

The eight-story building designed by Berardi & Partners Inc. has one-bedroom units selling at $199,900. Its three-bedroom condos top out at nearly $900,000.

Howe said he expects general contractor Ruscilli Residential Ltd. to complete the project in May 2009.

DEMO has occured on the one story structure that is on the site for this new project

The parking garage will be sitting where there is presently a parking lot.

Thought I would give everyone an update as the columbus section has been lacking them lately!

Slackers... Only takes a minute or two..

DSC_0018WTMK.JPG

the picture is from columbusretrometro.com

The same developer (arms prop.) also owners of columbus short north gay bars just finished the building in the distance on the other side of High St., The Dakota building.