buildingcincinnati

Columbus: Short North Developments and News

During my lunchtime walk today, I decided to snap these shots looking into the Short North from the new addition of the GCCC.  They are starting to put in the iron for the 8th and 9th floors of the 711 High project today.  From this view you can tell how dense this area of the SN is becoming.

CC2.thumb.jpg.be33a7ad5a6def2986b14b95e5b6a44d.jpg

CC1.thumb.jpg.beb6e1e5a70b33d3fe2e0a6c7ee38068.jpg

Final roundup of the early February construction photos in the Short North from http://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-short-north-university-district-more-we1

Future home of the 10-story Moxy Hotel at Hubbard and High.  No street impact yet because...

construction-round-feb-2018-15.jpg?resize=1024%2C630

... all the work has been below-grade so far.  Interesting view in the background of the parking garage w/ townhomes fronting Hubbard Avenue that was built as part of The Hub project at the corner north of this Moxy Hotel site:

construction-round-feb-2018-53.jpg?resize=1024%2C630

Work on 'The Dog' at 1175 N. High Street next door to Skully’s Music Diner.  Rendering and article about BrewDog USA’s Short North brewpub is at https://www.urbanohio.com/forum/index.php/topic,19983.msg855655.html#msg855655

construction-round-feb-2018-51.jpg?resize=1024%2C630

The Third & High apartment building is still going.  Windows now installed to the top floor:

construction-round-feb-2018-50.jpg?resize=1024%2C630

Work continues on the four-story mixed-use building at the UDF site:

construction-round-feb-2018-14.jpg?resize=1024%2C630

Another view of the beautiful Brunner Building under construction:

construction-round-feb-2018-10.jpg?resize=1024%2C630

Columbus Stonewall is radically redoing their High Street headquarters building.  New office construction will be going behind the salvaged facade of their previous office building:

construction-round-feb-2018-07.jpg?resize=1024%2C630

The Castle's crane will be coming down this weekend. From the High Street streetscape updates:

The crew at the Castle Building (965 N. High St.) will be removing the large tower crane from their site over the weekend. What to expect:

- Sat., Feb. 17, High St. will be closed for approximately 2 hours, from 7-9 a.m. Afterward, High St. will be re-opened just to northbound traffic the remainder of the day.

- High St. will close again for approximately 2 hours early Sunday morning. All of High St. is scheduled to be re-opened by mid-afternoon Sunday.

- If something unexpected comes up, such as high winds, the crane removal will stop and resume at a later date.

Build-out at this site is set for completion July 2018. The parking lane on the west side of High St. is currently closed and will remain closed until May 2018. Pedestrians have been rerouted to a walkway on the west side of the street.

^The crane has been removed. I think the project is looking good!

Time to replace it with a new crane I suppose. I imagine there will probably be two new ones in the Short North before too long.

The Castle's crane will be coming down this weekend. From the High Street streetscape updates:

The crew at the Castle Building (965 N. High St.) will be removing the large tower crane from their site over the weekend. What to expect:

- Sat., Feb. 17, High St. will be closed for approximately 2 hours, from 7-9 a.m. Afterward, High St. will be re-opened just to northbound traffic the remainder of the day.

- High St. will close again for approximately 2 hours early Sunday morning. All of High St. is scheduled to be re-opened by mid-afternoon Sunday.

- If something unexpected comes up, such as high winds, the crane removal will stop and resume at a later date.

Build-out at this site is set for completion July 2018. The parking lane on the west side of High St. is currently closed and will remain closed until May 2018. Pedestrians have been rerouted to a walkway on the west side of the street.

Where did you get the updates? I haven't seen a new link since the Jan. 26 updates (via https://www.columbus.gov/Templates/Detail.aspx?id=2147495133)

Where did you get the updates? I haven't seen a new link since the Jan. 26 updates (via https://www.columbus.gov/Templates/Detail.aspx?id=2147495133)

I'm on the email list -- the High Street project page says to send an email to dpspublicmeetings@columbus.gov to get added to the list.

The Graduate Hotel presented preliminary plans to the IV Commission. The commission pushed back on the removal of green space along High St. I'm kind of in agreement with the commission. There's nothing wrong in having a break in the streetwall for a pedestrian respite, especially since the streetwall will be continuous from Goodale to 5th in a few years.

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2018/02/21/bollinger-tower-redevelopment-plans-met-with.html

The Graduate Hotel presented preliminary plans to the IV Commission. The commission pushed back on the removal of green space along High St. I'm kind of in agreement with the commission. There's nothing wrong in having a break in the streetwall for a pedestrian respite, especially since the streetwall will be continuous from Goodale to 5th in a few years.

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2018/02/21/bollinger-tower-redevelopment-plans-met-with.html

If it means pushing the project back though I'm not for it; this is going to be a hotel in the premier part of our city.  This is only going to enhance the experience for the guests and make our city look good.  If they want green space hit a suburb, that area looks like trash during the winter and is worn down and grease stained the rest of the year.

^That's more of a lack of maintenance issue with the housing authority. I'm sure the hotel would take better care of the green space, especially if it's redesigned and/or refreshed.

As much as I'm all for green space, in this situation they have the ultimate green space one block away at Goodale Park.  I enjoy the open space during a good Gallery Hop because there are some good performers but this developer clearly has plans to capitalize off of the store front potential on this thriving urban street, and I can't really blame them. 

That Biz1st article is poorly written and misleading about the objections of the IVC to the latest plans. They have no problem with removing the greenspace itself, and in fact pushed for its removal and replacement with retail in the previous iteration developed by Schiff for Cambria Suites.

What that previous version had that this doesn't was a break in between the two halves which would act as a sort of public plaza space.

Compare the renderings of the previous design (which was approved),

GCW0mVj.jpg

tr5BGov.jpg

And the current Graduate Hotel proposal -

nlWG4r9.jpg

From a design standpoint, I like the varied and modern facades on the original proposal.

But either are fine; I just want to see that awful green space erased and the urban fabric restored. I'm disappointed the commission is so invested in having a postage stamp there for an event that happens once a month.

I have to disagree - there is nothing wrong with having a postage stamp green space or pocket park in an urban area. So what if Goodale Park is a block away. Redesigned and well maintained, the Bollinger green space can be an asset to the SN.

The new design looks like generic crap. I like the older design better, including the pocket park/plaza. The older design is at least a bit unique looking-the new design looks like the ugly stuff along Lane across from OSU.

The new design looks like generic crap. I like the older design better, including the pocket park/plaza. The older design is at least a bit unique looking-the new design looks like the ugly stuff along Lane across from OSU.

This.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

I don't mind the double-story (faux or not) bump outs of the new proposal, but I agree that the original design was better. And seemingly a LOT less work to the facade overall, which you think the developer would be in favor of...

I don't mind the double-story (faux or not) bump outs of the new proposal, but I agree that the original design was better. And seemingly a LOT less work to the facade overall, which you think the developer would be in favor of...

I agree, the original design of the "bump outs" was better, but I was worried about how the upper floors would look. Perhaps there is a good hybrid of the two that we will get to. Sounds like the commission wants to see the footprint look like the original design, with a plaza around the entrance. That's probably a good compromise.

BTW, sorry if the pics are huge and sideways, I uploaded them from my phone, which I don't do much on this site and just realized today on an actual computer how obnoxiously large they are.....

BTW, sorry if the pics are huge and sideways, I uploaded them from my phone, which I don't do much on this site and just realized today on an actual computer how obnoxiously large they are.....

No problem.  I reposted your photo at a smaller size and turned it vertically.

A nice view of the Short North action. A ton to see all the way up to Ohio State!

38732992000_0fb39aa6a2_o.jpg

Further out:

25672530507_0af922e1d3_o.jpg

I had more but something is not going right with Flikr and I don't like sharing via Google Photos.

A nice view of the Short North action. A ton to see all the way up to Ohio State!

38732992000_0fb39aa6a2_o.jpg

Further out:

25672530507_0af922e1d3_o.jpg

I had more but something is not going right with Flikr and I don't like sharing via Google Photos.

Wow, all the pictures you posted are awesome. It really gives you a good sense of the immense amount of development that is going downtown and in the surrounding area. It's quite impressive.

I think someone with much more time on their hands than me should do us all a favor and try to find "before" pictures from about 10 years ago for all of these angles just so we can see how much things have changed. I think it would be pretty interesting to see.

The UrbanOhio Gallery has photos that are more than 10 years old showcasing Columbus from atop Rhodes Tower.

Aka I haven't been up that buildings in years :(.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

^^Yeah, thanks for the photos. Nice view from Rhodes! A lot has changed since I snapped this photo from the One Nation elevator in 1985

10345628934_f7801c362c_b.jpg

Wait a second... Annunciation Church is (relatively) new?! I always assumed it was built in the 20’s or something but apparently it’s at least as old as the convention center.

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”