Columbus: Short North Developments and News

10 hours ago, 17thState said:

Also, I know this is an unpopular opinion but the bus sucks. That's why people who don't have to take it generally don't. You also still have to pay with exact change, right? That alone makes it awful. 

There is an app where you can pay via your smartphone now.  You can also watch the buses in "real time" (maybe 30 second delay) to time your trip(s).  It's really not that bad if you are within 5-7 miles of downtown, imo.

Edited by DarkandStormy

Very Stable Genius

1 hour ago, Zyrokai said:

Also,  I fall under the category of someone who would much rather spend 30-40 minutes on the bus playing video games, browsing the internet, reading the news, etc., rather than 25 minutes in a stressed out car commute fighting with other angry drivers. The lack of stress I have getting around and commuting is pretty unbeatable and I can't see myself going back to a car anytime soon ?

I took the bus for a few months and it was in the 25-30 minute range - it was awesome other than when we got piled up at Broad/High and sat there for 5 minutes.  But I usually just read, listened to podcasts, watched downloaded Netflix shows, etc.  Beat driving 15-20 minutes, sitting in a bunch of lights downtown, paying for a garage, etc.  In fact, the number of books has drastically decreased since we moved close enough to walk to work haha (can't read while walking...or at least, you can't do it very well).

Very Stable Genius

1 hour ago, DevolsDance said:

Absolutely this, people complain so much about how much longer the bus takes but I think one of the most overlooked aspects is that it's a passive commute. Driving may only take 30 minutes, but it's 30 minutes of stress, anxiety, road rage, and delays etc., while the bus or even a train is an hour of reading the news, playing games, music, and people watching. It's just an easy commute as opposed to driving. I personally noticed I became significantly happier and less anxious once I started taking the bus everyday even though it's longer, it's been worth it.  

EDIT - Oxford comma

Can’t agree more.  People think cars are so great, but you really don’t get the stress of driving until you no longer drive.

• Like 1

46999246841_17bf12cf0f_b.jpg

I'm amazed how this section of Hubbard Park Place manages to convincingly look like an old warehouse building. We need five of these on the surface lots around 4th & Spring downtown. 

32057880257_392226d5a5_b.jpg

40034677773_9408edbc20_b.jpg

33123829908_13214bc51a_b.jpg

33123827248_d4a990c865_b.jpg

Ground floor expansion of the graduate hotel project is fully underway. 

46275042524_9c29f5a98f_b.jpg

32057880857_aeb049a9dd_b.jpg

Soulless Vancouver ? should be fully complete on the exterior soon. They're moving very quickly. 

33123828828_980bb42401_b.jpg

Another one that seemingly went up overnight. The residential portion behind it is at foundation level right now. 

46947461062_5a29c294dc_b.jpg

Been waiting months for the Brunner Building to finish the stonework sections separating the first two floors from the residential portion. 

40034679403_1be847e339_b.jpg

Surprised the final color for that windowless portion of the wall is going to be that bright white. The closer this project gets to completion the less I like it. Something about the design is a little bit off. The glass is too reflective and the weird roof deck covered patio messes with the proportions. Oh well. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I personally think the Short North is looking great. I live pretty close to it and I'm there almost daily.

I just really, really need them to finally take down the old overhead wires and poles and turn on the new traffic lights/crosswalk lights instead of the garbage ones that are still up. I know they're probably waiting for the weather to break for the year and for these 3 big projects to finish up for wiring and such but ugh.......seeing the old poles and wires mixed with the new ones is driving me crazy!

^Besides the traffic signal wires, I believe the remaining overhead wires are phone/cable, so they are probably waiting on some utility company to finally move them. The electric has been complete for a while now.

I'll be happy to see that all gone as well, however. 

Now if we can only redevelop the former KFC/check cashing place... 

10 hours ago, Lucas_uLsac said:

I see this this corner everyday and wonder how this place is still standing. 

I recall seeing a soil boring rig taking samples a number of years ago. I believe this used to be a gas station so tank removal might be a necessary and expensive requirement. I guess at some point the land value and potential profit will justify the cleanup. 

1 hour ago, Pablo said:

I recall seeing a soil boring rig taking samples a number of years ago. I believe this used to be a gas station so tank removal might be a necessary and expensive requirement. I guess at some point the land value and potential profit will justify the cleanup. 

Ah. If there used to be a gas station there then it probably makes it a brownfield site, which would require additional work for sure. Surely a site like that would generate enough ROI to justify the undertaking. That cash checking place never has anyone in it, I just don't know how its still open. 

26 minutes ago, Lucas_uLsac said:

Ah. If there used to be a gas station there then it probably makes it a brownfield site, which would require additional work for sure. Surely a site like that would generate enough ROI to justify the undertaking. That cash checking place never has anyone in it, I just don't know how its still open. 

Was it not a fast food place since the gas station?  I know rules have changed but you would think those would've been removed before they dished out meals from this location.

According to the VVC Agenda for this evening, it looks like the owner of 775 N High St (AXIS, Store 5a, Columbus Running Co) is proposing a 10-story mixed use addition to the existing structure and a parking garage on the existing surface lot surrounding AXIS. 

Certainly an interesting proposal, I'm intrigued to see the massing and designs. Anyone know any more about this?

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 10.24.49 AM.png

Additional Edit - The property backs up to Hubbard Park Place which I believe topped out at 8-stories? I can't imagine the gymnastic it would require to argue against a project thats only slightly taller and is directly on High St. My guess is the biggest opposition could come from Wood Companies as this would block views from the Park St side of Hubbard Park Place, but I'm not sure that would hold much water. 

Edited by tlb919
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Proposal Calls for New 10-Story Building in Short North

A proposal to build a ten-story apartment building above the Axis Nightclub in the Short North will be heard by the Victorian Village Commission this evening.

The proposed structure would occupy the entirety of the rear parking lot of 765-771 N. High St., the three-story mixed-use building that contains the Columbus Running Company, Karavan Treasures and other stores.

More below:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/vertical-axis-short-north-10-story-building-proposal-bw1

Vertical-Axis-1-1150x550.jpg

• Like 2

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Not sure why NIMBYers would have a problem with this, especially given the height of Hubbard Park Place, which is further away from High than this would be.  But who am I kidding, there will always be a few.  The question will be if the VV Commission is okay with it.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 9:49 AM, ink said:

^Besides the traffic signal wires, I believe the remaining overhead wires are phone/cable, so they are probably waiting on some utility company to finally move them. The electric has been complete for a while now.

I'll be happy to see that all gone as well, however. 

Now if we can only redevelop the former KFC/check cashing place... 

How can they move them underground when all that has been completed already? They won't have to dig everything back up AGAIN, will they? Certainly there is an easier way???

20 minutes ago, Zyrokai said:

How can they move them underground when all that has been completed already? They won't have to dig everything back up AGAIN, will they? Certainly there is an easier way???

No, empty conduit was installed at the beginning of the project to carry the overhead wires. It's possible they still need to run the remaining overhead wiring through the empty conduit, or its possible new wiring has already been run and the existing just needs to be removed. The only digging up left will be removing the remaining old overhead utility poles and replacing the (temporary) concrete that was poured around them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, .justin said:

No, empty conduit was installed at the beginning of the project to carry the overhead wires. It's possible they still need to run the remaining overhead wiring through the empty conduit, or its possible new wiring has already been run and the existing just needs to be removed. The only digging up left will be removing the remaining old overhead utility poles and replacing the (temporary) concrete that was poured around them.

Got it! Very informative, thank you.

Another question I've been wondering.....just a nit-picky and curiosity question I can't stop thinking about so I might as well bring it up in a forum with such knowledgeable people:

For the 3 buildings currently being constructed in the Short North (Granvide Mercantile site, old retirement home expansion, and the Moxy hotel), the traffic patterns on the road change to remove the center turn lane and push traffic to the other side. This was all done with the permanent paint, as far as I can tell. I just wanted to ask if it's usual practice to do something like this and if they plan to put that center turn lane back in once the barriers are removed and the full street opens up and isn't so "zig zag"

I know the obvious answer is probably yes, but it just seems so permanent the way they have it now. They even have reflectors in the spots where I imagine it won't stay.

Edited by Zyrokai

• 3 weeks later...

Short North apartment complex has premium amenities, premium rents

AR-190308198.jpg

EP-190308198.jpg

EP-190308198.jpg

"Hubbard Park Place, 776 Park St., rents two 1,553-square-foot, two-bedroom units on the fifth floor for $4,850 a month each, making them the highest-priced apartments in Columbus.

“We’re delivering a product that hasn’t been seen in Columbus,” said Tyler Puhl, leasing manager for the developer, Wood Cos.

Wood Cos. and Schiff Capital Group developed Hubbard Park Place, one of three complexes in the city with monthly rents that reach $4,000 or more. The Brunner Building, also developed by the Wood Cos., has three penthouses that rent for $4,000 a month.

“We spared no expense at Hubbard Park Place,” said Michael Schiff, owner of Schiff Capital Group. 'It has all the nicest finishes possible.'"

https://www.dispatch.com/business/20190308/short-north-apartment-complex-has-premium-amenities-premium-rents

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Zyrokai said:

They truly are....what future developments do they have coming?

Are they the ones working on North Market Tower?

North Market "Tower", Parkside on Pearl, a smaller development off Lincoln & Pearl, and they are the developer behind 711 N High. 

Wood companies has an impressive product, I have no clue where their capitol is coming from to build what they build but I hope it keeps flowing. 

58 minutes ago, DevolsDance said:

North Market "Tower", Parkside on Pearl, a smaller development off Lincoln & Pearl, and they are the developer behind 711 N High. 

Wood companies has an impressive product, I have no clue where their capitol is coming from to build what they build but I hope it keeps flowing. 

Schiff is their partner in many of these developments.  My assumption is there are a lot of ghost investors around Columbus and out of town/state involved.  Also Wood has cornered the market on the Short North and own a TON of properties so they're no slouch on their own.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jeremyck01 said:

CU still has construction updates.  Quite often.  All you have to do is look.

They do new project announcements and some follow-ups; I think what the OP is referring to is the "Construction Round-Up" segments which they haven't done since November.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wpcc88 said:

They do new project announcements and some follow-ups; I think what the OP is referring to is the "Construction Round-Up" segments which they haven't done since November.

It seems like CU has really been deteriorating lately. The main reason it was able to grow was because people were interested in urban development and they covered it, but now they seem to be losing that focus. Additionally, Walker is just constantly condescending to his readers. I really don't understand the guy. Regardless, I used to visit that site religiously but now I only go there if I see a link posted here that interests. Otherwise, I can pretty much get all the development news I need (and then some) from Columbus Biz Journal and The Dispatch. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

20 minutes ago, cbussoccer said:

It seems like CU has really been deteriorating lately. The main reason it was able to grow was because people were interested in urban development and they covered it, but now they seem to be losing that focus. Additionally, Walker is just constantly condescending to his readers. I really don't understand the guy. Regardless, I used to visit that site religiously but now I only go there if I see a link posted here that interests. Otherwise, I can pretty much get all the development news I need (and then some) from Columbus Biz Journal and The Dispatch. 

I think part of it is that CU has a broader base than Urban Ohio, or other places, and there are people there who are very anti-urban and will make that known. Do you remember how people got on the forums there?-they had to close them because there were too many people causing trouble. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cbussoccer said:

Same here. And the forums were incredibly active and informative with quality posters. Who are these people reading Columbus Underground movie reviews? Really, you're getting your movie reviews from a local rag? Concert reviews of local concerts I get, but movie reviews?

Then you have the immature opinion pieces; some of which have nothing to do with Columbus specifically. It's really become a clickbait site, and that's sad. I've thought about starting up a site for just construction updates, and development proposals, but these forums do well for that. And more Columbus people are starting to file in so it's become more active than a few years ago. It's also cool to be here so you see how much ass Cincinnati and Cleveland are kicking too. Glory to Ohio! haha

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aderwent said:

Same here. And the forums were incredibly active and informative with quality posters. Who are these people reading Columbus Underground movie reviews? Really, you're getting your movie reviews from a local rag? Concert reviews of local concerts I get, but movie reviews?

Then you have the immature opinion pieces; some of which have nothing to do with Columbus specifically. It's really become a clickbait site, and that's sad. I've thought about starting up a site for just construction updates, and development proposals, but these forums do well for that. And more Columbus people are starting to file in so it's become more active than a few years ago. It's also cool to be here so you see how much ass Cincinnati and Cleveland are kicking too. Glory to Ohio! haha

I agree...aside from the forums-there were just as many "not so quality" posters as quality ones. But yes, these forums do well for Cbus here and we should do our best to keep it that way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aderwent said:

The opinion pieces are hot garbage. I got to the point where if I see 'Opinion' in the title I don't even bother clicking on the article because I know it's going to be a waste of my time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cbussoccer said:

Well, you know, "comments section people" tend to be a lot sillier than "forum people" and people do indeed say a lot of stupid stuff that needs to be corrected in the site's comments sections.

4 hours ago, cbussoccer said:

Most of the time, Walker is right, though.  A lot of the commenters are idiots, especially on Facebook.  I don't think he's condescending all that often, just gives plain facts against the spastic hyperbole of people who don't understand what urbanism is.  That said, I used to visit CU a lot more when they still had the forums.  There's also too much fluff content now, IMO.  But that's okay.  Just because it isn't for me doesn't mean that the new format isn't more popular with more people.  It's basically a business, after all. 

• Like 2

On 3/15/2019 at 9:13 AM, cbussoccer said:

The opinion pieces are hot garbage. I got to the point where if I see 'Opinion' in the title I don't even bother clicking on the article because I know it's going to be a waste of my time. 

I think some are ok, others..well...  I have learned to look at the author-some tend to have a disturbing knack for being very fast and loose with "facts" in the articles.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 9:02 PM, wpcc88 said:

Yeah, but this person is saying “like they used to do” as if it was years ago “before it became lame news.”  CU has always been news, lame or not. 

As you say, Columbus Underground did their last  construction roundup in November which was not that long ago. I’m sure there will be another one soon once spring comes. Who wants to go out in the middle of winter and photograph 40 buildings under construction? lol

Edited by jeremyck01
  • Dislike 1