Columbus: Short North Developments and News

I had a good time at the Short North Holiday Hop last year until it took me 9 hours to get back to Dayton because of ice.  7 of those 9 hours were at a complete standstill on I-70 because they closed the highway.  But, yeah, the event itself was great.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Council approves Short North condos, parking garage

By Mark Ferenchik, The Columbus Dispatch

Monday, February 12, 2007 11:31 PM

It's what those who work in and visit the Short North have wanted: 250 public parking spaces to ease the crunch.  Columbus City Council approved a new tax-increment-financing agreement tonight that will help pay for a new $14 million parking garage in the area. It will be built as part of a 10-story, 179-unit condominium project at the northeast corner of N. High Street and E. Hubbard Avenue. The garage will be built across Pearl Alley from the condominiums.  Townhouses will be built along Hubbard to shield the garage.

A 2005 study showed a need for 500 parking spaces in the Short North, an area filled with shops, bars and restaurants.  "This is absolutely our No. 1 challenge," said John Angelo, director of the Short North Business Association.  The developers had approached the community, saying they wanted to do the project to help the community, he said.

Read more at http://dispatch.com/news-story.php?story=246318

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since Brewmaster brought it up (pretty sure it was), I couldn't help but think while reading this why OSU hasn't proposed to help fund an extension to OSU if they think it's great that students have more local businesses to partonize. Not to mention the typical Columbus focus on there having to be "enough" parking everywhere.

Short on parking

Plan to solve parking woes

Issue date: 2/21/07 Section: Opinion

The Short North is a small, eclectic part of Columbus that makes up the Arts District. It is filled with restaurants, galleries and shops, which makes it a great place to find entertainment. It is home to the year-round gallery hop, which brings an appreciation of the Arts to the heart of Ohio. That is why the Columbus City Council's latest move is a blessing to the Short North's businesses and patrons.

The city council approved a property tax financing plan that will help pay for a $14 million residential parking garage, according to an article printed in The Lantern Friday. The garage, according to the article, will have a total of 500 parking spots, with half reserved for the public and the other half for condominium residents.

Read more at http://www.thelantern.com/media/storage/paper333/news/2007/02/21/Opinion/Short.On.Parking-2733321.shtml?mkey=980474

• 1 month later...

Parking garage anchoring $40M development plan

Business First of Columbus - April 13, 2007by Brian R. BallBusiness First

The developer who converted the Victorian Gate apartments in Columbus' Short North into condos has tentative plans for a $40 million residential and parking complex overlooking Goodale Park.  Pat Grabill said the proposal is driven not by housing but by his plan to build a 350-slot parking garage that could be used by visitors to the south end of the busy commercial corridor along North High Street.  His plan includes developing as many as 20 loft residences in the historic limestone section of the United Commercial Travelers of America headquarters at 632 N. Park St. and 28 other condos nearby.

Plans by NBBJ show three levels for 22 penthouses atop four or five stories of parking facing North High Street, pushing the top of the building to 82 feet above the sidewalk. Two more levels of parking would be below the surface.

Read more at http://columbus.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2007/04/16/story3.html?page=2&b=1176696000^1446506

Yeah - It would be nice if they were underground, or residences built on top of parking -

But, the area certainly does need some parking, for now anyway (you know, as long as everyone is still driving cars around)

I love the density of the new project, but got really turned off reading about the huge focus on the parking garage.  bleh.

What does the city get out of these parking garage deals anyway?  Do they share in the revenues?

I agree...its totally focused on this damn parking garage.  But I guess if its necessary to spur other investment then so be it.  Although I think the parking availability craze is a bit much sometimes.

I'm guessing that hideous glass thing in the background of the rendering is the parking garage...is that correct or am I wrong on that??

• 4 months later...

No, not fewer white people...

Short North Arches Go Technicolor at September Gallery Hop

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Short North Arts District, Columbus, OH - On Saturday, September 1, at 9:00PM, the Short North will throw the switch on the final phase of the High Street Arches renovation. The iconic arches will transform into an array of brilliant colors and effects that will become the signature feature of the nationally acclaimed Arts District.

The 17 High Street arches sprang back to life in late May, as the lighting was completely re-engineered and upgraded with LED technology. Since then, the arches have steadily glowed incandescent white. Beginning September 1, the arches will pulse and shimmer with the artistic energy and diverse vibrancy of the Short North.

What:

September Gallery Hop Celebrates “Summer Days and Technicolor Nights”

Color transformation with “glowing procession” will begin at Poplar and travel northward throughout the District

When:

Saturday, September 1 • 9:00PM

Where:

The 17 arches along High Street

Who:

The Short North Special Improvement District and the Short North Business Association

“The effects will be amazing,” comments Sharon O’Brien, board member of the Short North SID. “This is the real eye-popper we’ve been waiting for since we began the project. Every bulb on every arch can be individually programmed to produce a million different effects. The lights can morph from one color to another, pulse and even appear to travel up and down the district.”

John Angelo, Director of the Short North Business Association (SNBA), adds: “The programmed arches will be unlike anything seen in the Midwest. In addition to adding to the experiential offerings of the Short North, the mile-long strip of High will become a barometer of major happenings in Columbus. The strip might be pink the night before the Race for the Cure. It could be silver, gold and white for the winter holidays. It could be a rolling rainbow for ComFest and the Pride Festival. The possibilities are endless.”

The arches were designed and installed as part of a collaborative effort between the City of Columbus and the Short North Arts District, working directly with the Short North Special Improvement District (SID). The programming of the arches will also be managed collaboratively by the city, the SID and the SNBA.

Look for up-to-the-minute news on the evening’s happenings at www.ShortNorth.org”

http://www.shortnorth.org/news.asp?n=69

• 2 weeks later...

digging has started, they are doing the basic utility work now

Here we go!

Columbus Business First

Short North condos under construction

Developer JBH Holdings LLC has started work on its 43-condominium Jackson on High project in the Short North of Columbus.

Construction crews began utility work for the $17 million project Aug. 17 as the developer moves toward finalizing financing through the Columbus branch of Michigan-based Citizens Bank.

JBH Principal Brad Howe said the project at 1127 N. High St. has 12 signed contracts with 5 percent down payments and eight are set to close by late September.

The eight-story building designed by Berardi & Partners Inc. has one-bedroom units selling at $199,900. Its three-bedroom condos top out at nearly $900,000.

Howe said he expects general contractor Ruscilli Residential Ltd. to complete the project in May 2009.

DEMO has occured on the one story structure that is on the site for this new project

The parking garage will be sitting where there is presently a parking lot.

Thought I would give everyone an update as the columbus section has been lacking them lately!

Slackers... Only takes a minute or two..

DSC_0018WTMK.JPG

the picture is from columbusretrometro.com

The same developer (arms prop.) also owners of columbus short north gay bars just finished the building in the distance on the other side of High St., The Dakota building.

first time seeing this thread for some reason.  Thank God that old building is gone.  The demo is now complete and the clean up is beginning.  Its cool because you see quality development crawling north along High Street.  Dont get me wrong, all of short north has quality development, but it used to be once you hit this building, it began to fizzle, IMO.  But now, this project connects the rest of High all the way up until the UDF just a block north of this.  Hopefully someone will move in there next and develop that parking lot and UDF next to eachother.  With the recent completion of the Dakota and the soon to be Jackson condos, its fun watching this area totally fill in with quality developments. 

this development is certainly separated from the more gentrified south end of short north.  This area needs something like this so this is good.  They tore down the sign and had equipment on the site last week but now nothing is there anymore. 

its nice if rather dull.

still, its great news and yes that area needs it. i bet it sells out quickly.

my hope is that in the furture columbus would get more unique and architecturally striking stuff for at least a few projects like this one. we settle for any off the shelf modern infill too easily in ohio. yeah, of course its fine and cool and all and i am being harsh -- sorry.

its nice if rather dull.

still, its great news and yes that area needs it. i bet it sells out quickly.

my hope is that in the furture columbus would get more unique and architecturally striking stuff for at least a few projects like this one. we settle for any off the shelf modern infill too easily in ohio. yeah, of course its fine and cool and all and i am being harsh -- sorry.

Valid criticism (although I personally like the design).  It's not a Meier Perry Street condo design or Libeskind Ascent design - but more of contextual design with some modern elements.  Keep in mind that its located within the Victorian Village Historic District, so its likely as far as the architects could push the design.

But hey, if you want radical design, look at the Jackson On High logo.  It's got a backwards "K"!

if the locals wanna practice pushing design forward with developer webpages and logos first ok i'm all for it -- baby steps!

still, you know what i mean. i wish someone would pick an empty neighborhood parcel or rehab and really do something striking with it. i haven't been "architecturally impressed" by anything in columbus since the wexner center (i even like the convention center too, but it doesn't wow me).

It's just a building. It's fairly well proportioned and knows what it is. It shows signs of classical aesthetic values creeping back into contemporary architecture. It tries to be in harmony with the scale of the buildings around it. It's not trying to be a deconstructivist crack trip.

It is not dull.

It's just a building. It's fairly well proportioned and knows what it is. It shows signs of classical aesthetic values creeping back into contemporary architecture. It tries to be in harmony with the scale of the buildings around it. It's not trying to be a deconstructivist crack trip.

It is not dull.

nah, it's exactly the same modern infill you see in every city in these days. if all you can say about it is that it's "fairly well proportioned" and "it's just a building" well that is exactly the reason for the rant. not that there is anything wrong with it, it's fine, but it wont turn up in dwell and wont be written about in architectural digest either. i look forward to the day someone will do something architecturally interesting -- at least once or twice somewhere around town -- instead of this off the shelf stuff. i think its coming, but i wish it would happen sooner than later. columbus has enough of an image with being thought of as a generic place, adding a little spice to modern living structures here or there wouldn't hurt. no one is talking about nutty crack trips, just a boffo socko looking apt or office building or three that pushes the envelope and gets some notice.

• 2 months later...

Updated rendering from Columbus Retro Metro on the Urban Oasis project in the Short North (aka Ibiza Urban Oasis or Ibiza).  I believe it would be located at the corner of High & Hubbard.

link: http://columbusretrometro.typepad.com/columbus_retrometro/2007/11/latest-on-ibiza.html

ibiza01.jpg

Latest on Ibiza

There's not really any information up on their site as of yet, but have a look at the latest rendering for the Ibiza project in the Short North and keep an eye on their Web site as the project evolves. I think this is a great development and I really like the effect that offsetting the higher stories creates, almost as if there was another building behind it. Good stuff:

http://ibizaonhigh.com

• 2 months later...

Another residential project in the Short North area.  I haven't heard of this one before this article in last Friday's Business First.  Joe Armeni of New Victorians Inc. purchased this building and is the developer.  Haven't come across any project website or renderings - so I included a site plan and the most recent photo of the building from the Auditor's GIS website.  Nice looking building and interesting location.  It's located at 1276 N. High Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues.  It's in that gap area between the previously renovated part of the Short North and the South Campus Gateway development.  

If anyone has more information on this project, please feel free to share...

Armeni hopes his newest project makes mark at Short North entrance

Friday, February 8, 2008

Business First of Columbus

By Brian R. Ball, Business First

Short North developer Joe Armeni will edge into the southern reaches of the University District in Columbus this spring when he finishes transforming a Masonic lodge building into 25 condominiums.

Armeni's New Victorians Inc. bought the former York Lodge No. 563 at 1276 N. High St. three years ago for $500,000 and spent more than two years getting variances to permit reuse of the property as housing along a commercial corridor.

The York on High project, just south of East Sixth Avenue, marks a departure from Armeni's emphasis on developing housing in the Short North. But the developer said the former lodge likely will capture buyers interested in its proximity to the Short North rather than the area around Ohio State University.

"I look at (the site) as the entrance into the Short North," Armeni said. "It's a natural progression (of development) going north."

2257925369_1f8259c88e.jpg

2258357312_87f2748bea.jpg

Read more at http://columbus.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2008/02/11/story7.html?page=1

This proposal is just north of the 670 cap. From what I gather, the 10 story hotel will be built on an empty parking lot next to what used to be Functional Furnishings.

THE FOLLOWING APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE HEARD BEFORE 8:15PM

9. 08-2-17

632 North Park Street (UCT Building)

Pizzuti (Applicant)/ Order of the United Commercial Travelers of America (Owner)

An application, aerial photos, and massing studies have been submitted.

Conceptual Review

• Proposed mixed-use re-development of “UCT Block”.

• 10-Story boutique hotel fronting High Street (160 rooms and 7000-sqft of retail).

• Parking garage (400-500 spaces).

• Office/residential building totaling 40,000-50,000 square feet; including 5,000-sqft of retail.

• Cultural Center located in Park Street portion of existing structure.

• Conversion of Russell Street to one-way (west).

• Improvements to Millay Alley for pedestrian friendly access between High and Park streets.