Cleveland: East 4th Street Developments

Guest punch

Also, I don't know if anyone noticed this about Chipotle:

"Chipotle, a national chain, will be open standard Chipotle hours – 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. every day of the week. Other chain restaurants in the area – including Jimmy John’s, Potbelly Sandwich Shop and Zoup! – close early evening and are not open on Sundays."

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/cleveland_metro/chipotle-j-gumbos-restaurants-open-on-euclid-avenue-in-downtown-cleveland

About time this neighborhood starting acting like, well, a neighborhood!

Stopped in at Chipotle last night at about 9:50. At least half the seats were full and the line was pretty much to the front door. It may still be that its new, but that was the fullest ive ever seen a Chipotle at that time. I think it will be a good testing ground to prove that other businesses/chains with longer hours like that can be successful downtown

I noticed the Chipotle hours as well.  Fingers crossed they stay that way!

Also, maybe I'm just cupcake picky, but I wish Colossal Cupcakes would spend more money on good employees and recipe development instead of giant signage.  They're not remotely close to being on the same level as A Cookie and A Cupcake in Tremont, but I want them so badly to succeed!

Try Flaming Ice's cupcakes. Most of the the they blow the others out of the water... depending on who made them. Also... Flaming Ice is one of the few downtown non-bar-ish places open late hours. It should be acknowledged.

• 5 months later...

Butcher shop, restaurant and brewery will fill last East Fourth Street retail vacancies

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A butcher shop, restaurant and brewery will open on East Fourth Street next spring, filling the last lingering ground-level vacancies at a project more than a decade in the making.

Developer Ari Maron said Thursday that he recently signed a lease with Butcher & The Brewer, a concept dreamed up by the owners of the Tremont Taphouse. The new restaurant and brewery will fill the large hole left by Dredgers Union, a clothing store that closed last year. The butcher shop will occupy a long-empty space next door.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/07/butcher_shop_restaurant_and_br.html#incart_river_default

• 2 weeks later...

Updates to the 5th Street Arcades signage. A couple weeks ago they installed the mast walker near the corner. Then last week, they finally restarted the work. I'm guessing they couldn't finish the signage until the facade was finished, which is probably why the east side still isn't installed.

Updates to the 5th Street Arcades signage. A couple weeks ago they installed the mast walker near the corner. Then last week, they finally restarted the work. I'm guessing they couldn't finish the signage until the facade was finished, which is probably why the east side still isn't installed.

They also painted the prospect entrance to the arcades yesterday or the day before. The same aqua/greenish/blueish color as in the logo.

A nice summary article about E4th.

If You Build It, They Will Come: How Cleveland Lured Young Professionals Downtown

Sophie Quinton    8:44 AM ET

When the Maron family decided to redevelop an entire city block in downtown Cleveland, the area was so blighted no restaurateur would lease space there. A decade later, the East Fourth neighborhood is home to Food Network personalities, a House of Blues, and free Saturday yoga classes. Café-style seating spills into the pedestrian-only street. Apartments on the block are fully leased, and a 100-unit building under construction across the street has already reached full capacity.

read more

A nice summary article about E4th.

If You Build It, They Will Come: How Cleveland Lured Young Professionals Downtown

Sophie Quinton    8:44 AM ET

When the Maron family decided to redevelop an entire city block in downtown Cleveland, the area was so blighted no restaurateur would lease space there. A decade later, the East Fourth neighborhood is home to Food Network personalities, a House of Blues, and free Saturday yoga classes. Café-style seating spills into the pedestrian-only street. Apartments on the block are fully leased, and a 100-unit building under construction across the street has already reached full capacity.

read more

Already posted here:  Cleveland: Downtown & Vicinity Residences Discussion

Is it possible to keep comments about this in one location?  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What's up with the pickwick and frolic sign?  Saw a guy up there with a sawzall yesterday really going at it.

I noticed this walking by yesterday, too.  I didn't think anything of it.  They may just be altering their marquee.  If anything serious was happening to P&F we'd know about it... I know Ayisha Tyler is the headliner scheduled for this weekend...

Btw, I saw workers (water) pressure cleaning the facade for the Red the Steakhouse around the corner on Prospect.  They seem to really be moving along towards an on-time opening.

What's up with the pickwick and frolic sign?  Saw a guy up there with a sawzall yesterday really going at it.

I noticed this walking by yesterday, too.  I didn't think anything of it.  They may just be altering their marquee.  If anything serious was happening to P&F we'd know about it.

I hope not, I rather like the signage. Was worried there was a surprise name/business change like "Cadillac Ranch II" or something.

That is a seriously handsome little building now!

It is a nice little building, and now that big windows have been installed and the partitions subdividing the building into separate units have been removed, it’s intricately designed façade is now more noticeable -- that big ol’ red Volk’s covered a large chunk of the middle of the building… I know Volk’s was a downtown, family institution and I hated seeing them close up shop after over a century of good business (my family had patronized them over the years) but, to put it kindly, their building wasn't kept in the best condition from a curbside POV. 

Mystery solved!  Pickwick & Frolic just installed a new LED-type rolling-display sign capable of video imagery.  It's quite an upgrade over the old static, movie marquee display.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to remember.... when did East 4th get rid of the through traffic? This photo is from early 2008. Remember this arcing lane of one-way traffic?

Nightshots28.jpg

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

I'm trying to remember.... when did East 4th get rid of the through traffic? This photo is from early 2008. Remember this arcing lane of one-way traffic?

Nightshots28.jpg

My guess would be when they decided to install outside seating areas, because looking at this picture I see none. Imagine having the sidewalks crowded with people PLUS having to maneuver around the dining chairs while keeping an eye out for oncoming traffic, it would be a NIGHTMARE! Plus it seems more lively with only foot traffic.

Mystery solved!  Pickwick & Frolic just installed a new LED-type rolling-display sign capable of video imagery.  It's quite an upgrade over the old static, movie marquee display.

Although it is an upgrade, it looks like a cheap LED display.  The LEDs are large and cause the comedian images to be distorted.  I'm not expecting an HD LED screen but I just think it could have been something a little better. IMO

The camera is making those lines appear, not the sign.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

• 3 weeks later...

Butcher shop, restaurant and brewery will fill last East Fourth Street retail vacancies

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A butcher shop, restaurant and brewery will open on East Fourth Street next spring, filling the last lingering ground-level vacancies at a project more than a decade in the making.

Developer Ari Maron said Thursday that he recently signed a lease with Butcher & The Brewer, a concept dreamed up by the owners of the Tremont Taphouse. The new restaurant and brewery will fill the large hole left by Dredgers Union, a clothing store that closed last year. The butcher shop will occupy a long-empty space next door.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/07/butcher_shop_restaurant_and_br.html#incart_river_default

Joe C tweets a reminder ...

"@joecimperman: Coming soon to @go4th :Butcher & the Brewer will be a mixed use restaurant, a retail butcher shop and a craft beer brewery."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Anyone heard any updates on this?  The only thing I've seen is a quick mention here (planning stages): http://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/more-on-tap-think-cleveland-has-a-lot-of-breweries-just-wait-more-will-be-opening-their-doors-this-year/Content?oid=3847155

Besides for dredgers union, are all the original restaurants on E 4th still open?

I believe so, some of the hours have changed though.  Pickwick & Frolic used to do lunch, but no longer does.  Not sure if there have been any other changes.