Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Columbus_girl

Career Networking Thread

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, freefourur said:

How old is cam right now?  My thought is that he could attend school at CSU by taking some student loans and finding on campus housing.  In the meantime, he could work a "make ends meet" job until he finishes a degree.  I don't know if this helps at all by just an idea.

 

He's 29. So, I'm not sure how open he (or the school) would be to on campus housing at this point. 

 

I thought the same thing, but he has to be here for a year to get in-state rates, otherwise CSU is actually pretty expensive. We're on the same track idea-wise though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Bump to this page* 

 

Hey Everyone, 

 

I would ask that you all take the time to read this - I would really appreciate it. 

 

I am getting married on February 23rd. One of the groomsmen in my wedding is a dear friend from college - and I think he might be taking a one way trip to Cleveland to give himself a fresh start on life after the wedding. Here is his story:

 

He was born in Connecticut, the son of a wealthy attorney - partner at Skadden Arps in New York - and stay at home mom. He attended Salisbury Prep School in CT, the most expensive high school in the country. He and I met at Hiram College, and instantly developed a friendship. He is bright, sincere, unassuming, polite, and a very loyal friend. His performance in the classroom was stellar. 

 

During our sophomore year, it was exposed that his father was having multiple affairs and had been cheating on his wife regularly. Instead of doing the normal thing, and filing for divorce and moving out, his father took advantage of his dual citizenship. He spent all of the money he had access to in New York and then moved to London (where he was born) and where he had sizable financial holdings the family was unaware of - leaving my friend and his mother penniless. Cam (my friend) dropped his classes at Hiram to help his mother financially - she then got a job in Dallas, TX that was a great opportunity, so she moved - Cam followed. 

 

Cam returned to Hiram for the beginning of our junior year, having provided his mom with a few thousand dollars to help her get on her feet in Dallas. About 6 weeks into the first semester, Cam received a call - his mother had passed out at work. After a trip to the doctor, several large tumors were found on Cam's mother's brain. Cam then once again withdrew from Hiram, packed up, and moved to Dallas to care for his mother. Cam's mom battled with cancer for three years, eventually losing that battle last January. Through most of the time, she was unable to walk or change herself - she was Cam's full time job, which once again caused him to withdraw from classes (where he was receiving straight A's) at UT Arlington. He made a couple visits up to Cleveland during that time, and each time I could tell her badly wanted to move here - I think the pretentious nature of the East Coast and Dallas always rubbed him the wrong way, and he felt the people here to be "authentic." When Cam's mom passed, he called his dad to help with funeral expenses (his dad is remarried in London to a 30 year old with 2 kids under the age of 5) - his dad refused. Cam spent the entirety of his savings on the funeral. 

 

As of yesterday, I spoke with Cam, due to financial circumstances, I will be paying for his trip up here, along with all necessities for the wedding. He has been essentially homeless now for the last 4.5 months. Spending most nights on couches of acquaintances, some nights in their cars, and a couple nights in hammocks. 

 

The point of telling you that is that I think he's determined to move here. However, I have nowhere for him to stay, I do not know of any jobs (that goes beyond end's meet) that are currently open, and I want to do whatever possible for him to get here, work, finish school, and go on to live the life that I know he's capable of. I honestly don't know anyone who has been dealt a worse hand in the last five years. 

 

He's a remarkably polished guy, considering the circumstances, which is probably due to his upbringing. He's a hard worker, he's loyal, and he's extremely intelligent - but I do not want him to come here if he's just going to fall into the same circumstances. So what I am asking is this:

 

1. Does anyone know of a feasible housing situation for him if he moves here? Hopefully something near public transport so he can get around.

 

2. Does anyone have any ideas for employment for him? I know very few of you know me personally, but I would certainly stick my neck out to vouch for his character, work ethic, and intelligence.

 

I really appreciate any help you can offer. He's a close friend and I really believe he just deserves a chance, and that's all he needs. 

Edited by YABO713

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, freefourur said:

A follow question:  what is Cam studying and what type of work is looking to get into?  

 

He was studying International Policy at Hiram, and would ideally like to be an attorney.

 

I think in the meantime, he's open to most career paths. In TX he worked under the table as a laborer for a concrete company, but also has had internships with the Madison Square Garden Entertainment Co., and was also involved with a start up out of Utah that worked to provide paved access roads in Western and Central Africa to make medical transport more efficient. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he is willing to do construction labor, he can look into applying with Laborers Local 310 or 860. I think they have apprentice programs, so I am not sure if that could work with a college schedule. But it would be a good paying job with benefits until he gets re-enrolled in college.  Quicken Loans is usually hiring mortgage lenders with no experience required.  I am just spit balling some ideas. 

 

If he has any pre-law classes under his belt or any knowledge, smaller firms might hire him as a paralegal too. 

Edited by freefourur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, freefourur said:

If he is willing to do construction labor, he can look into applying with Laborers Local 310 or 860. I think they have apprentice programs, so I am not sure if that could work with a college schedule. But it would be a good paying job with benefits until he gets re-enrolled in college.  Quicken Loans is usually hiring mortgage lenders with no experience required.  I am just spit balling some ideas. 

 

Thanks! Do mortgage lenders require a bachelor's? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, YABO713 said:

 

Thanks! Do mortgage lenders require a bachelor's? 

I don't think so.  

 

I also edited my post to include the idea of looking for paralegal work but you might have thought of that already. 

Edited by freefourur
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about one of those code boot camps? I have hired a decent number of people for my work that have gone through one of those programs and many of them had unrelated degrees/past work experience. The talent is in such short supply that if an applicant demonstrates a strong understanding of the core knowledge base, the 'you need x number of years experience in this field' doesn't really have much weight at this time. 

 

Some examples: Tech Elevator, We can Code IT, software guild 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, viscomi said:

How about one of those code boot camps? I have hired a decent number of people for my work that have gone through one of those programs and many of them had unrelated degrees/past work experience. The talent is in such short supply that if an applicant demonstrates a strong understanding of the core knowledge base, the 'you need x number of years experience in this field' doesn't really have much weight at this time. 

 

Some examples: Tech Elevator, We can Code IT, software guild 

 

Good idea, do you have any idea what those bootcamps runs $ wise? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, viscomi said:

I'll ask around. I was a chump and overpaid for 4.25 years at OU. That was one expensive party! 

 

Haha! Thank you I appreciate it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

 

Good idea, do you have any idea what those bootcamps runs $ wise? 

I got a grant through OhioMeansJobs that paid for the entire cost of Tri-C’s coding bootcamp. Most of us in the program used that grant. It is also applicable to the other bootcamps in the area, iirc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, grcCLE said:

I got a grant through OhioMeansJobs that paid for the entire cost of Tri-C’s coding bootcamp. Most of us in the program used that grant. It is also applicable to the other bootcamps in the area, iirc. 

 

Thank you! I just don't know if he'll be eligible since he's currently a resident of Texas 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, edale said:

Book him a flight to London so he can go kick his bum of a dad's ass.

 

When Cam makes it and is successful, which he will be... you bet your a$$ I'm sending his dad certified mail of everything he's accomplished in spite of him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow, this guy's father sounds like the most completely disgusting slimeball of all time. Did your friend have a good relationship with him early on in life?  And did his father have any visitation rights, or did his mother prevent them from having any connection, which may explain his total absence from his life. How awful. I really don't think your friend should have any trouble finding some sort of job that will keep him afloat, especially with the relatively low cost of living in Cleveland, no? He could always go to school at night. There are so many alternative programs, like online classes that can lead to a degree. Just a terribly sad story though. Does he have siblings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eastvillagedon said:

wow, this guy's father sounds like the most completely disgusting slimeball of all time. Did your friend have a good relationship with him early on in life?  And did his father have any visitation rights, or did his mother prevent them from having any connection, which may explain his total absence from his life. How awful. I really don't think your friend should have any trouble finding some sort of job that will keep him afloat, especially with the relatively low cost of living in Cleveland, no? He could always go to school at night. There are so many alternative programs, like online classes that can lead to a degree. Just a terribly sad story though. Does he have siblings?

 

They had a "Stepford Wives" sort of set up from how Cam describes it. But Cam would regularly go on fishing trips with him, visit family in England, etc. so he wasn't really an absentee father. 

 

The school is going to be a little difficult until he declares residency, unless he wants to bite the bullet and just take out more loans. I believe he still owes from UT Arlington, so I'm sure his credit isn't stellar. 

 

Thankfully - and honestly another reason Cleveland is amazing - some on here have already reached out to offer help, which is more generous than I can imagine. 

 

He has two older sisters. One of whom is "deeply religious" living in Kansas and hasn't spoken to the family in over five years. The other lives in DC and came to visit Dallas twice in three years. Neither attended the funeral. I can't explain it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

 

They had a "Stepford Wives" sort of set up from how Cam describes it. But Cam would regularly go on fishing trips with him, visit family in England, etc. so he wasn't really an absentee father. 

 

The school is going to be a little difficult until he declares residency, unless he wants to bite the bullet and just take out more loans. I believe he still owes from UT Arlington, so I'm sure his credit isn't stellar. 

 

Thankfully - and honestly another reason Cleveland is amazing - some on here have already reached out to offer help, which is more generous than I can imagine. 

 

He has two older sisters. One of whom is "deeply religious" living in Kansas and hasn't spoken to the family in over five years. The other lives in DC and came to visit Dallas twice in three years. Neither attended the funeral. I can't explain it. 

 

Hm, you sure you have all the details of this kid's story correct, or believe the version of events he's told you? I'm not suggesting he's lying or whatever, but what rationale would the two sister's have for skipping the funeral of their tragic mother? The story almost reminds me of something a homeless person tells you to try to get money "for the bus". Just an unbelievable collection of events. I hope your friend can land on his feat and find some stability in his life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, edale said:

 

Hm, you sure you have all the details of this kid's story correct, or believe the version of events he's told you? I'm not suggesting he's lying or whatever, but what rationale would the two sister's have for skipping the funeral of their tragic mother? The story almost reminds me of something a homeless person tells you to try to get money "for the bus". Just an unbelievable collection of events. I hope your friend can land on his feat and find some stability in his life.

 

Yeah look @edale I'm not entirely interested in arguing with you on this, you'll just have to trust that I have first hand knowledge of his circumstances without me airing every portion of his personal life here. Not being snippy with you, I get your point and it's valid to a degree, but yeah. His one sister has a very deep and troubled past with mental health issues - the one in DC is detached for other reasons. 

Edited by YABO713

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, edale said:

what rationale would the two sister's have for skipping the funeral of their tragic mother?

They were obviously raised in a strange familial situation. Since the dad's such an awful person, who knows what he might have put them through. And how he might have treated the daughters differently than the son, although people can react differently to similar treatment as well. Being raised in a bad family environment is often not conducive to feeling the type of bonds (such as parent-child) that seem natural to most people.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YABO713 said:

 

Yeah look @edale I'm not entirely interested in arguing with you on this, you'll just have to trust that I have first hand knowledge of his circumstances without me airing every portion of his personal life here. Not being snippy with you, I get your point and it's valid to a degree, but yeah. His one sister has a very deep and troubled past with mental health issues - the one in DC is detached for other reasons. 

 

Wasn't trying to argue. The story seems over the top, that's all. Kid from Connecticut goes to the most expensive high school in the country, somehow ends up at Hiram College in Ohio. Dad decamps to London to start a new family leaving the kids and mom penniless. Mom gets cancer and dies. Other siblings are totally disconnected with him and his mom to the point that they don't even show up at the funeral. No mention of aunts/uncles/relatives who could offer a place to stay or help him out. You must understand how the situation looks slightly odd to the outsider.

 

Sounds like he should qualify for government assistance. I know there's a stigma around accepting those types of benefits, but the safety net exists for a reason. As I said before, I hope he lands on his feat and finds stability. You seem like a very good friend, and he should count himself luck to have you in his life. 

 

No more from me on this. Best of luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

As an aside - Hiram, Denison, Kenyon, adn Wooster all have a sizable east coast prep presence. 

 

I know, what did he mean "end up at Hiram..."? lol. As an aside, I remember when I was a child Lake Erie College was still all female. Unlike today, the school seemed to exude an air of aloofness apart from the rest of town. The girls who attended were perceived to be from generally higher socioeconomic backgrounds than us mere "townies." There were a number of students from the East Coast there and we joked that this must be because they didn't have the pedigree to get into one of the Seven Sisters colleges. Meow😼 (although, Lake Erie was modeled after Mount Holyoke, today it's coed and shares none of MH's radical politics)

Edited by eastvillagedon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@YABO713

 

I spoke with someone that went through now defunct Software Guild out of Akron about 3 years ago and the 14 week program cost around 10k. Tech Elevator at the old Baker showroom on Euclid is around 15k for 14 weeks. We just hired a stay at home mom that got sick of doing that who went through that program. The other big one i see is We can Code IT out of Terminal tower and is around 13k for same time range.

 

Little more than i first thought but if you are bright I see no reason why you can't imeditaly find a junior level dev job and make 60k plus upon compeltion. Plus it looks like there are quite a few grants available for these programs.

 

Best of luck to you buddy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The local construction industry is desperate for workers. If he comes now, he might be able to find an apprenticeship program. I helped my wife's friend flee an abusive marriage in Illinois and got her set up here. She spoke very little English but was able to find jobs right away. They were crappy jobs (nanny, hotel maid, restaurant cleaning, etc.) but they were jobs. Some took 90 minutes to get to by several buses and/or trains. But she was overjoyed to be around any people because her husband forbid her to leave their rural Illinois home and she didn't drive anyway. She now works nights at a company that makes plumbing products. It's decent money, has paid vacations and health care and the night job lets her takes some classes at Tri-C during the day. It was a one-seat bus ride from Lakewood but her boyfriend (an RTA cop) just recently got her a car. Point is, you can always find work if you're willing to do anything. Once she was able to develop a work history, she was able to use it to leverage better jobs over time. 

  • Like 1

"Save the planet. Move to the city." -- The Downtowner podcast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all!

 

Have any of you guys graduated with your bachelors in an engineering related field but transitioned to real estate development?

 

I’m a fourth year at OSU and will be graduating in fall 2019 with a bachelor’s in civil engineering. I have had internships at a structural engineering firm as well as at commercial construction firms, working in structural design, estimating, and project/construction management respectively.

 

One of the reasons for my interest into real estate is the fact that I’d like to be a part of the ‘bigger picture’ of a project, rather than focused in a small aspect of it. I have great interest in topics such as market analysis, site acquisition, zoning, entitlements, approvals, site planning, and financing. I quite enjoy working on building projects in the urban core, in the effort of revitalizing and growing cities.

 

Would an MBA with a specialization in real estate be necessary for a career path into real estate development? If not, does would any other schooling aide my progress into the industry? Such as a law degree?

 

On the other hand, if further education would not be necessary, but rather a certain type of job please let me know.

 

I would love to hear about your experiences and career paths, and maybe it could point me in the right direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone, 

 

Similar to @Eastside I am looking to make a change and would appreciate any and all advice from the people on here. I am originally from the Cleveland area (Ukrainian Village, Parma) and graduated from Ohio State with a Finance degree in 2014. I have been working since then here in Columbus first for a manufacturing company doing Financial Analyst work and currently have spent the last ~4 years at an energy company doing wholesale supply chain work. I am looking to get back to the Cleveland area as that's where family is and was wondering if you guys knew of the best companies or places to look? I am interested in doing the same work I am currently doing, but would not be against a career change into the field of urban redevelopment, etc. (aka what most of us on here enjoy). If any of you have any knowledge or experiences to share, it would be greatly appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as an update / thank you:

 

I shared the story of my friend Cam with you all a little over a month ago. This morning, he packed his car in Texas and began 21 hour journey to Cleveland. 

 

I want to thank everyone for the ideas, positive thoughts, friendly suggestions, and otherwise. UrbanOhio is a special place, and in particular, one member of this board came forward and provided financial assistance that will allow Cam to make the move here. That person's character and generosity honestly changed a life, maybe even saved one. 

 

Things look like they've turned around for him. He has an interview, met a nice girl at my wedding, and thanks to one of you, has a few months rent under his belt to get a fresh start. Thank you all again, it's extremely appreciated. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2019 at 3:19 PM, ytown2ctown said:

Hey everyone, 

 

Similar to @Eastside I am looking to make a change and would appreciate any and all advice from the people on here. I am originally from the Cleveland area (Ukrainian Village, Parma) and graduated from Ohio State with a Finance degree in 2014. I have been working since then here in Columbus first for a manufacturing company doing Financial Analyst work and currently have spent the last ~4 years at an energy company doing wholesale supply chain work. I am looking to get back to the Cleveland area as that's where family is and was wondering if you guys knew of the best companies or places to look? I am interested in doing the same work I am currently doing, but would not be against a career change into the field of urban redevelopment, etc. (aka what most of us on here enjoy). If any of you have any knowledge or experiences to share, it would be greatly appreciated!

 

@ytown2ctown -- sorry I didn't see this post until now. I would send resumes to all of the development firms in Cleveland. Most of them are very busy. In the alternative, consider applying to the two largest insurance firms here in Cleveland (Progressive and AmTrust), plus many of the venture capital firms that have opened up here. For names of these and other firms, see the bottom half of my article at: http://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2018/03/


"Save the planet. Move to the city." -- The Downtowner podcast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...