Sign in to follow this  
Guest DetroitBrad

Toledo: Marina District

^Ugh, terrible. Too much surface parking, not enough street front buildings, and excessive green space in the urban core. Toledo already has way too much parkland, including massive metroparks that would be state parks in most other metro areas (I think Oak Openings may have even been a state park at one time). While these huge metroparks create a greenbelt around the metro area that limits sprawl, having them in the urban core is a waste of prime real estate. I supported the Middlegrounds Metropark since it was a brownfield, but the Marina District is shovel-ready for large-scale urban infill, not 3-story apartments with too much surface parking and only one or two commercial buildings built in an oversized park. The Marina District should not be a metropark with all that prime waterfront real estate and those amazing views of the skyline and shipping channel. Its location and infrastructure can support much higher levels of development than what is being proposed here.

*I would be the first person to support the expansion of Oak Openings in western Lucas County and the restoration of critical Lake Erie marshes east of Oregon (which would also put pressure on Oregon to stop sprawling towards Sandusky along Route 2). Those would be fantastic expansions of Lucas County green space that would also help clean up Lake Erie and help stabilize the endangered plant and animal species around Toledo. But the Metroparks should not do further expansions in the urban core. A smaller park is fine in the Marina District and public access to the water should be maintained, but this tiny housing/commercial development is shooting for the gutter by preserving so much space for another metropark. It is not a good use of existing land and infrastructure with the carrying capacity for high density urban development.

In an economically healthy city, this would be large-scale, high-end urban infill.

I agree with most everything here, but only bring this up all these months later to remind you that Toledo is not an economically healthy city. It is improving, but at a rate that is not making up for the past, and not keeping up with the present.

I disagree that Toledo is over-parked. The County metroparks are, percapita, outstanding for Lucas County and Toledo. But within the City of Toledo, its parks are generally not well kept, and nor as well used as the county parks. Middlegrounds is well done, using many water management techniques that the city is implementing in other areas, and attracts good crowds. The Marina Metropark (?) will do the same when complete. There is no market to refurbish the many empty buildings standing in downtown Toledo; so there won't be a market yet for new construction on the scale befitting the Marina District. Toledo still has a **long** way to go to revive its downtown before significant new infill will be financially feasible.

I unfortunately agree with you westerninterloper about it being a long time before a big infill project on the east side would be feasible. I think most of the salvagable historic buildings downtown will eventually be restored and brought back to life, but the other side of the river is another story. Theres revitalization happening, but not at a blistering pace that would make a huge Marina District project possible. The plan being put forward is honestly probably quite realistic. Im with CDawg that while another metropark is a nice thing, the whole project feels like a big missed opportunity for a major development. It would be nice if the city just couldve sat on the land for awhile longer, but that definitely doesnt score anybody political points in the city.

I think the park will be good for the Marina District over time. It will increase, at least marginally, the immediate area in East Toledo, stabilize and perhaps increase the value of homes and property in that area. I would prefer a Metropark on that property, and concentrate development on existing city lots in downtown Toledo. The area can't support another commercial and residential node on that property, and won't until downtown is substantially revitalized.

Marina District developer updates council

21190649E.jpg

The original plans for a Marina District residential and commercial development are being expanded all the way to the corner of Main and Front streets, according to an update given Tuesday to Toledo Council by developer Frank Kass.

Mr. Kass, chairman of Continental Real Estate Companies of Columbus, said he has property on East Toledo’s gateway corner under contract. He answered questions at council’s agenda review meeting.

More below:

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2017/12/05/Marina-District-developer-updates-council.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

I'd rather have him put more units into the existing footprint and reorganize it so that there are appropriate "streets" and have a more Banks-like or lifestyle center feel, but that doesn't seem to be what's going to happen here.

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Developer: Marina District lofts on target for spring groundbreaking

ByDavid Patch | BLADE STAFF WRITER

Published on Feb. 21, 2018 | Updated 10:42 a. m.

22151928E.jpg

Plans to build a 360-unit residential complex in the Marina District are on schedule for a spring groundbreaking, with final land acquisitions likely to close by March 24, the project’s developer told a Toledo Regional Chamber of Commerce luncheon Wednesday.

Frank Kass, chairman of Continental Real Estate Co. of Columbus, also said during his presentation at GlasSalon in the Toledo Museum of Art’s Glass Pavilion that Metroparks Toledo’s plan for a new riverfront park on adjoining land is vital to the $50 million investment he expects to make.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Real-Estate/2018/02/21/Gateway-Lofts-in-Marina-District-on-target-for-mid-spring-groundbreaking-developer-says.html

Screenshots of the updated plans. This is going to be a significant improvement over the way that land has been used over the last 50 years, and it'll be done soon. Best news i heard is that a bike lane/path will be constructed down Jefferson street to the riverfront, which will make it super easy for me to get from my house near the Toledo Museum of Art to these parks. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 1.44.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 1.44.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 1.45.09 PM.png

• Like 1

The new Metropark will be called "Glass City Metropark", and:

"Features will include a sledding hill, a refrigerated skating ribbon, splash and play areas, a riverwalk and other hiking trails, a fishing platform, a grassy outdoor concert knoll with room for 6,000 people, a modern, earth-bermed pavilion with seating for 150 people and standing room for 450 people, as well as a canoe/kayak launch, electricity, and accommodations for food trucks. It will be linked to International Park via a pedestrian bridge over Main Street expected to be built in 2020."

https://www.toledoblade.com/local/environment/2019/02/20/east-waterfront-park-named-glass-city-metropark/stories/20190220087

• Like 2

Looks like the current riverside drive will be demolished, loved the view going toward the bridge.  Figures theyre gonna tear up the best shape street in all of toledo! 

I just hope theres still plenty of fishing access,. I know quite a few inner city fishermen who wont be too happy if they try n restrict hours for them to be out there..  its been pretty lenient the last 12 years