Cleveland: Downtown: Technology Center

Guest CornerCurve

doctabroccoli or should I say Neighbor: Any updates on this ruble? If it stays any longer we will have a spot to sled ride in the winter!

Ooo, good idea.  I haven't heard anything back from Cimperman yet.  I guess I could always try to call CBRE, but they probably won't give me the whole story anyway.

I never thought I'd be so excited to see a temporary surface lot.

Yeah, me either.  The thing I don't understand is why wouldn't they just hurry up and build the lot so they could make some money?  Something must be going on since work stopped over a month ago, and I just wanna know what!

Maybe Zaremba is trying to grab the property and label it as future development.  Would be nice, I like that I can currently see the lake from my roof deck in-between the FBI building and Success Tech.

Pictures please!  You can't brag about a lakeview without providing pics! :wink:

• 1 month later...

Not sure what work is being done, but there was heavy construction work done yesterday.  There is a huge hole were the parking lot of this property once was.  Also this morning I walked by 2 large dump trucks.  Looks like I might not have my sled hill this winter. 

doctabroccoli we still have not met.  What kind of neighbors are we?

Not sure what work is being done, but there was heavy construction work done yesterday. There is a huge hole were the parking lot of this property once was. Also this morning I walked by 2 large dump trucks. Looks like I might not have my sled hill this winter.

doctabroccoli we still have not met. What kind of neighbors are we?

Not good ones, apparently, considering I look at your house every time I go out to get my mail....

Anywho, they were working again this morning - lots of trucks.  I took a picture, but my computer totally crapped out on me this morning, so it's currently over at the Case Help Desk, and I probably won't have it for a couple days.  *Sigh*

So if anyone (MayDay) would feel so inclined as to take some pictures, that would be superb :)

doctabroccoli we still have not met.  What kind of neighbors are we?

Not good ones, apparently, considering I look at your house every time I go out to get my mail....

STALKER!! lurker.gif

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

doctabroccoli we still have not met. What kind of neighbors are we?

STALKER!! lurker.gif

Hey, in my defense, his front door is just a few steps away from my mailbox.  If I am looking straight ahead when I'm walking from my driveway to my mailbox, I look at his front door.  It's not like I try..... :-P

Why aren't your mailboxes at your front door?

I don't know.  They're the common metal box thing that houses everyone's mailboxes in a single unit along with a space to lock up a parcel.  They're at the end of our driveway or "autocourt" or whatever.  When my computer is alive again, I guess I can post a picture......

• 4 months later...

Well, for those of you who have been paying attention, the rock piles have not moved, and the exposed part of the building post-demo has not had anything done to it.  The City of Cleveland has had a he!! of a time with the owners, Matrix Realty Group.  There will be an official BBS hearing next Wednesday (March 18th at 9:30am).  I doubt anyone will be able to attend, but if you'd like to write a letter telling Matrix to stick it where the sun don't shine, this is the information.

1425 Rockwell Avenue – Docket A-08-09 – Owner, Matrix Realty Group. 

Make the letters out to Ms Toni Cobb, Board of Building Standards, 5th floor, 601 Lakeside Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio, 44114.

You can email us at : [email protected].

Media Darling La Lauren in the paper again!

Rubble piles near Townhomes at the Avenue District disturb new Cleveland residents

Posted by dsims March 13, 2009 06:07AM

Lisa DeJong/The Plain Dealer

Residents of downtown Cleveland's new luxury townhomes, pictured at right, are tired of seeing these tall mounds of rubble from their windows. Matrix Realty Group of New York left the mess behind after demolishing a building on the site. The city wants the developer to haul the debris away.

For months, owners of new luxury homes in downtown Cleveland have complained about their mountaintop view.

More at http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/03/rubble_piles_near_townhomes_at.html

We should already have an ordinance against random wreckage laying around... since 1796 this has to have come up once or twice before.  Something this obvious shouldn't make the paper before the city starts busting heads.

"Media Darling La Lauren in the paper again!"

I knew it as soon as I saw the headline that DocBroc was making her weekly news appearance. 

(maybe you should just change professions and be a full time news correspondent )

I knew it as soon as I saw the headline that DocBroc was making her weekly news appearance.

(maybe you should just change professions and be a full time news correspondent )

Lol, see, the funny thing is, I'd never been in the PD (the earlier thing was a coolcleveland video) until that safety story a couple weeks ago...

DocBroc made a good point in the article about how this situation hurts Matrix too.  They can do that all they want, sounds like they may not be fit for survival based on the way they approach things.  I still can't figure out why Cimperman would be so lilly-livered about dealing with this.  It's not like NYC is in Russia.  We can do what they can.

Lol, see, the funny thing is, I'd never been in the PD (the earlier thing was a coolcleveland video) until that safety story a couple weeks ago...

Yeah sweetie, just become an iReporter.  www.ireport.com

Ladies and Gentlemen, we are back on the big bad New Yorkers' radar.  We'll see if they hold up to their promises this time around (although I wouldn't put money on it).

Dear Councilman Cimperman;

Please accept my apology for the situation that was published in Friday’s Plain Dealer.

I am in charge of Matrix Realty Group LLC Commercial Properties Division.  I have been asked by our Chairman Mr. Glen Nelson to expedite our efforts in cleaning up the vacant lot and to move forward with plans to reface the buildings.  On Thursday of this week I (along with Mr. Vin Grillo Sr. Vice President of Matrix Realty Group LLC) flew down and personally met with Planning Board Director Mr. Robert Brown to discuss our plans. 

We also met with Mr. Jeffrey Shoykhet of Department of Economic Development to share ideas and our vision for the property to attract new jobs.

We also interviewed potential architects for the new façade design (including the West facing wall) which will greatly enhance the image of the building, and its surrounding areas.

We have reached an agreement with a local contractor to remove the excess materials, which we are hopeful that removal will begin next week.

I would like the opportunity to work alongside with you to see this effort through.

I am available to discuss this further at your convenience and look forward to your comments and assistance.

Thank you,

Aaron Smiles

Director Of Operations And Development

The Matrix Group

732 Smithtown Bypass

Smithtown, NY 11787

(631) 979-2777 Ext 306

(631) 979-3198 (fax)

(631) 618-1622 (cell)

email: [email protected]

web site:  www.matrixrealtygrp.com

I will believe it when I see it!!!

Why didn't the PD article mention the few millions in tax money Matrix received to build a new building?

I don't know - they knew about it because not only did they write that article last June that contained that information, but I also reminded the reporter about it.  Oh well.

I have been told by another neighbor, however, that 4 dump trucks were rolling up as he was leaving for work this morning.  So, uh, I guess I'll see when I get home!

Why didn't the PD article mention the few millions in tax money Matrix received to build a new building?

I wish I would have got that in there. I was crunched for space. It's a good point, though. By the way, I've posted Councilman Cimperman's response to the Matrix executive on my City Hall blog (see link below). Thanks to all who helped with the story, especially DoctaBroccoli!

http://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/index.ssf/2009/03/rubble_piles_near_avenue_distr.html

Rubble piles near Avenue District will be gone in 10 days, Matrix Chairman Glen Nelson says

by Henry J. Gomez/Plain Dealer Reporter

Monday March 16, 2009, 8:47 AM

My report about the rubble piles obstructing the views from new downtown townhouses apparently has caught Matrix Realty Group's attention.

In an e-mail sent Saturday to Councilman Joe Cimperman, a Matrix executive writes:...

Oh wow nice response Cimperman!! 

If Matrix can not bring new development to this property than they should consider selling the vacant property to Zaremba.  This property would make for a nice addition to the townhomes.  Except for maybe having the back end of the crazy horse as your view from you living room windows.

If Matrix can not bring new development to this property than they should consider selling the vacant property to Zaremba.  This property would make for a nice addition to the townhomes.  Except for maybe having the back end of the crazy horse as your view from you living room windows.

For some, that's a selling point.  ;)  LOL

If Matrix can not bring new development to this property than they should consider selling the vacant property to Zaremba. This property would make for a nice addition to the townhomes. Except for maybe having the back end of the crazy horse as your view from you living room windows.

For some, that's a selling point. ;)   LOL

Knock a couple holes in the wall of the Crazy Horse and you got yourself a free show!  More seriously, though, if Zaremba could get their hands on that property, it'd be great for retail.

And so it continues...

Dear Councilman Cimperman:

Upon my return last week from Cleveland; there was a Notice of Hearing on my desk (Friday) from the Board of Building Standards & Building Appeals.

Before I had sent you my email explaining my position, I sent Ms. Antoinette Cobb a letter requesting a postponement as I did not have enough notice to prepare for the hearing.  It has been confirmed by Ms. Cobb that she did receive my letter and granted the postponement.  I wanted to notify you in advance that the hearing is postponed.

In addition, please be advised that as of today, we have our contractor on site removing the materials.

Please be assured that prior to the next scheduled hearing I will have all the materials removed from the property and we can begin the next phase of building improvements.

Thank you,

Aaron Smiles

The Matrix Group

732 Smithtown Bypass

Smithtown, NY 11787

(631) 979-2777 Ext 306

(631) 979-3198 (fax)

(631) 618-1622 (cell)

Mr Smiles,

Your request of a postponement does not preclude your immediate removal of your piles of dangerous, health threatening stone.

Today I saw a person with a machine removing gravel, if they work non-stop, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week until April 1, 2009, they may actually make a dent.

This stone detritus should have been removed last year.

You are breaking the law and hurting this community.

Please write back when the lot is cleared and all stone is removed. Or Ill see you April 1, whichever comes first.

As always, thank you for your efforts.

Joe Cimperman

Cleveland City Council

Ward 13

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld

And so it continues...

Dear Councilman Cimperman:

Upon my return last week from Cleveland; there was a Notice of Hearing on my desk (Friday) from the Board of Building Standards & Building Appeals.

Before I had sent you my email explaining my position, I sent Ms. Antoinette Cobb a letter requesting a postponement as I did not have enough notice to prepare for the hearing.  It has been confirmed by Ms. Cobb that she did receive my letter and granted the postponement.  I wanted to notify you in advance that the hearing is postponed.

In addition, please be advised that as of today, we have our contractor on site removing the materials.

Please be assured that prior to the next scheduled hearing I will have all the materials removed from the property and we can begin the next phase of building improvements.

Thank you,

Aaron Smiles

The Matrix Group

732 Smithtown Bypass

Smithtown, NY 11787

(631) 979-2777 Ext 306

(631) 979-3198 (fax)

(631) 618-1622 (cell)

Mr Smiles,

Your request of a postponement does not preclude your immediate removal of your piles of dangerous, health threatening stone.

Today I saw a person with a machine removing gravel, if they work non-stop, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week until April 1, 2009, they may actually make a dent.

This stone detritus should have been removed last year.

You are breaking the law and hurting this community.

Please write back when the lot is cleared and all stone is removed. Or Ill see you April 1, whichever comes first.

As always, thank you for your efforts.

Joe Cimperman

Cleveland City Council

Ward 13

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

kitt3_12860.jpg

Well, apparently if I send enough e-mails, I'll eventually get on the directors' rolls....  :type:  They're probably so completely annoyed with me at this point!  Fresh in my inbox:

Councilmember Cimperman:  I met with the owners last week and learned that they intend to present plans for a paved parking lot on the vacant parcel, along with a renovation of the exterior of the adjacent building.  I will let you know as soon as we receive something.

Robert N. Brown, Director

Cleveland City Planning Commission

[email protected]

Tel: 216-664-3467  Fax: 216-664-3281

Web Site:  http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us

I wish I would have got that in there. I was crunched for space. It's a good point, though. By the way, I've posted Councilman Cimperman's response to the Matrix executive on my City Hall blog (see link below). Thanks to all who helped with the story, especially DoctaBroccoli!

http://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/index.ssf/2009/03/rubble_piles_near_avenue_distr.html

Rubble piles near Avenue District will be gone in 10 days, Matrix Chairman Glen Nelson says

by Henry J. Gomez/Plain Dealer Reporter

Monday March 16, 2009, 8:47 AM

My report about the rubble piles obstructing the views from new downtown townhouses apparently has caught Matrix Realty Group's attention.

In an e-mail sent Saturday to Councilman Joe Cimperman, a Matrix executive writes:

No to be too off-topic, but....I know that this isn't your first post on here (although first for a while I believe), but I just wanted to thank you for getting involved here on UO, Mr. Gomez.  I think this type of dialogue, between interested & passionate citizens and the fourth estate, will not only enhance your ability to do your job, but hopefully make our news outlets, politicians, and local stakeholders more responsive and more in tune with the needs, desires, and wishes of the public.  Kudos.