Sign in to follow this  
C-Dawg

NCAA Football: General News & Discussion

Its funny how true this is.  UC, who is arguable the best team in the Big East over the past 5 years wont even get a phone call because OSU already has a hold on every Ohio market (and aside from that, after the 2002 scare OSU had in Cincy they have been a bit hesitant to schedule them again). 

Although NYC is a big TV market, I dont think I ever met anyone there that gave a crap about Rutgers, so their marketing of themselves as New York Citys college team always seemed weird to me.  I guess perception doesnt really need to factor in though, as the games will still be on TV, and TVs in bars will always be on

There are a lot of reasons why UC would never get a call from the Big Ten.  Market share is one of those reasons, but don't discount the fact that UC is an academic minor leaguer compared to other Big Ten schools.

If the Big Ten continues to expand, which I think is a strong possibility, the list of potential schools is pretty short.  Think about AAU schools, that are in new markets in contiguous states, that are also their respective state's flagship university.  Maryland and Rutgers fit that criteria, and so do the following schools: 

-University of Virginia

-University of North Carolina

-University of Missouri

-University of Kansas

-University of Colorado

A few interesting wild cards that are missing one or two of the above criteria, but would still make a splash, are:

-University of Notre Dame

-Georgia Tech

-University of Texas

-University of Toronto

I'm not getting baited into the rankings argument, but a conference that just added Rutgers University really ought not be calling the University of Cincinnati an "academic minor leaguer."  Ram's original comment about OSU having the Cincinnati market on lock is the first, and last, bit of information you need to know why UC will never be invited to the B1G.

I'm not getting baited into the rankings argument, but a conference that just added Rutgers University really ought not be calling the University of Cincinnati an "academic minor leaguer."  Ram's original comment about OSU having the Cincinnati market on lock is the first, and last, bit of information you need to know why UC will never be invited to the B1G.

Have you heard of the CIC?  Academics is an important expansion consideration for the Big Ten, it's not just lip service.  I'm not even necessarily talking about what happens inside the classroom at these schools, though I still don't believe that UC deserves mention with any of the above flagship public universities.  On reputation and research alone, UC is sitting at the kids' table, and that's enough to preclude them from any serious Big Ten expansion discussion.

It’s funny how true this is.  UC, who is arguable the best team in the Big East over the past 5 years won’t even get a phone call because OSU already has a hold on every Ohio market (and aside from that, after the 2002 scare OSU had in Cincy they have been a bit hesitant to schedule them again). 

Although NYC is a big TV market, I don’t think I ever met anyone there that gave a crap about Rutgers, so their marketing of themselves as “New York City’s college team” always seemed weird to me.  I guess perception doesn’t really need to factor in though, as the games will still be on TV, and TV’s in bars will always be on…

There are a lot of reasons why UC would never get a call from the Big Ten.  Market share is one of those reasons, but don't discount the fact that UC is an academic minor leaguer compared to other Big Ten schools.

If the Big Ten continues to expand, which I think is a strong possibility, the list of potential schools is pretty short.  Think about AAU schools, that are in new markets in contiguous states, that are also their respective state's flagship university.  Maryland and Rutgers fit that criteria, and so do the following schools: 

-University of Virginia

-University of North Carolina

-University of Missouri

-University of Kansas

-University of Colorado

A few interesting wild cards that are missing one or two of the above criteria, but would still make a splash, are:

-University of Notre Dame

-Georgia Tech

-University of Texas

-University of Toronto

Toronto won't happen so or at all.  No international University is in Div 1 nor are they full time NCAA members.  ND, just joined a conference.  Georgia Tech??  NC??  I don't see it.

Have you heard of the CIC?  Academics is an important expansion consideration for the Big Ten, it's not just lip service.  I'm not even necessarily talking about what happens inside the classroom at these schools, though I still don't believe that UC deserves mention with any of the above flagship public universities.  On reputation and research alone, UC is sitting at the kids' table, and that's enough to preclude them from any serious Big Ten expansion discussion.

Yes, I'm familiar with the CIC.  I'm also familiar with the AAU, which was always historically held as the academic standard for membership in the Big Ten.  Now Nebraska is no longer a member of the AAU, yet there has been no question about their standing in the B1G.  The schools in the B1G are all fine institutions that do many great things.  It's completely absurd, however, to suggest that the Delany's decision to expand has been about anything but money.  And if the University of Cincinnati presented the new market and material financial benefit that Rutgers and Maryland do, I don't have a lot of doubt that the Bearcats would have been on the short list of schools considered for expansion, independent of UC's alleged academic inferiority.

Yes, I'm familiar with the CIC.  I'm also familiar with the AAU, which was always historically held as the academic standard for membership in the Big Ten.  Now Nebraska is no longer a member of the AAU, yet there has been no question about their standing in the B1G.  The schools in the B1G are all fine institutions that do many great things.  It's completely absurd, however, to suggest that the Delany's decision to expand has been about anything but money.  And if the University of Cincinnati presented the new market and material financial benefit that Rutgers and Maryland do, I don't have a lot of doubt that the Bearcats would have been on the short list of schools considered for expansion, independent of UC's alleged academic inferiority.

Nebraska will be back in the AAU by the end of the decade.

There's no doubt that the decision to expand is about money.  However the decision of who to actually expand with is a bit more strategic than that.  They're still looking for good institutional fits.  They're not haphazardly adding new schools like the Big XII and Big East have done recently.

I attended my very first Pac (10) 12 game!  USC - ND.  It was so weird to be at a college football game after so many years, but it didn't feel like a Big 10 game I remember.  It was really weird.  It didn't feel like late fall early winter with all riding on it like the MI-OSU season finale.

ScreenShot2012-11-25at122608PM_zps504a6b2d.png

I don't know why this picture is so small.  I think the panoramic stitching made it really small.

On top of that we forgot we could have taken the train.

^Was a big game for this year's national championship race.  Notre Dame's win assured their place in the National Championship Game.  Alabama and Georgia will meet in the SEC Championship Game.  The winner will face ND in the NC Game.

Also, Nate Silver of Presidential Electoral College prediction fame had an interesting take on Rutgers and Maryland joining the Big Ten:

FiveThirtyEight Blog: Expansion by Big Ten May Bring Small Payoff

Such a shame Pitt (2-4 in the Big East) couldn't follow through with their threat against ND in 3OT. I take that pathetic win as evidence for my suspicion that there really aren't any good teams in the NCAA this year. Only lucky teams.

Such a shame Pitt (2-4 in the Big East) couldn't follow through with their threat against ND in 3OT. I take that pathetic win as evidence for my suspicion that there really aren't any good teams in the NCAA this year. Only lucky teams.

Or Stanford with that missed fg...

Vegas had 6 teams yesterday that would be favored over nd if they played.

Nd is good though. That d is unbelievable. I don't have a problem with them getting crushed by Alabama or Georgia in the nc game

ScreenShot2012-11-25at122608PM_zps504a6b2d.png

I don't know why this picture is so small.  I think the panoramic stitching made it really small.

On top of that we forgot we could have taken the train.

Man, I always think of motocross bikes and off road trucks jumping through those portholes on the end. I think I watched too much ESPN in the late '80s-early '90s.

^ Rutgers and Syracuse both claim the NYC market.

Key word claim.  Syracuse is definitely upstate.  Uconn is a NYC market.

Well, claim is what you were asking about:

Since when has Rutgers marketed themselves are NYC college team?

It seems they might have some right to the claim, as well:

Empire State Building to be lit red

By Andrea Adelson | ESPN.com

The Empire State Building will be lit red Thursday night in support of Rutgers’ huge game against Louisville in Piscataway, N.J.

This marks the second time the Empire State Building has been lit red for Rutgers football. The first time? It just so happened to be Rutgers’ 28-25 victory over Louisville in 2006.

Rutgers (9-2, 5-1) can claim the league title outright and a first-ever BCS berth with a win over the Cardinals.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/39818/empire-state-building-to-be-lit-red

ACC spurns Cincinnati, picks Big East rival Louisville to replace Maryland – ESPN

ucbearcats*280.jpg?v=1

The University of Cincinnati’s apparent bid to join the Atlantic Coast Conference has fallen short, at least for now, ESPN reported Wednesday morning.

The sports network said the ACC has selected the University of Louisville to replace the University of Maryland, which will move to the Big Ten in 2014.

More below:

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2012/11/acc-spurns-cincinnati-picks-big-east.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

^ Rutgers and Syracuse both claim the NYC market.

Key word claim.  Syracuse is definitely upstate.  Uconn is a NYC market.

Well, claim is what you were asking about:

Since when has Rutgers marketed themselves are NYC college team?

It seems they might have some right to the claim, as well:

Empire State Building to be lit red

By Andrea Adelson | ESPN.com

The Empire State Building will be lit red Thursday night in support of Rutgers’ huge game against Louisville in Piscataway, N.J.

This marks the second time the Empire State Building has been lit red for Rutgers football. The first time? It just so happened to be Rutgers’ 28-25 victory over Louisville in 2006.

Rutgers (9-2, 5-1) can claim the league title outright and a first-ever BCS berth with a win over the Cardinals.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/39818/empire-state-building-to-be-lit-red

So the empire state building is in the Rutgers colors.  You do realize you can see the ESB from the Rutgers campus?  Many regional company's apply to be ESB lighting partners, since they need to renew their application yearly.  Just because the ESB is displaying their colors, that means nothing.

ACC spurns Cincinnati, picks Big East rival Louisville to replace Maryland – ESPN

ucbearcats*280.jpg?v=1

The University of Cincinnati’s apparent bid to join the Atlantic Coast Conference has fallen short, at least for now, ESPN reported Wednesday morning.

The sports network said the ACC has selected the University of Louisville to replace the University of Maryland, which will move to the Big Ten in 2014.

More below:

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2012/11/acc-spurns-cincinnati-picks-big-east.html

The ACC can have UConn whenever they want to, and the same is mostly true of UC.  The one school that remained in the Big East that was most likely to interest the Big XII was Louisville.  The ACC's move was strategic and preemptive.

Well that game sucked.

ND looks like a pop warner team out there versus Bama. How are there not some sort of recruiting violations at Bama, the whole roster are beasts? Or is this what you get when most of the teams play by the rules? Everybody great goes to the best team?

Well that game sucked.

ND looks like a pop warner team out there versus Bama. How are there not some sort of recruiting violations at Bama, the whole roster are beasts? Or is this what you get when most of the teams play by the rules? Everybody great goes to the best team?

That was for sure quite a blow out. I feel asleep after the 3rd qrt started due to lopsidedness of it all.

Well that game sucked.

I have serious suspicions about 'Bama and a few other SEC schools, but since the NCAA lacks the resources (and spine) to consistently and effectively investigate and punish the real offenders, there's little hope for a big change in the way things are done in that part of the country.

I don't know.  Bama's recruiting classes are often Top 10..... but so are USC's and OSU's and UTex's.  Really, if you go back and look over the past 4 years, ND has done quite well recruiting too.  I think the reason why Bama looks so dominant is that the level of competition they play game in, and game out is just so much better than the other powerhouses.  The SEC is just so deep that Bama is forced to tune their game to a different speed.  Saban also has a Steelers type system working in which he knows the type of players he wants and just keeps rolling in personnel that perfectly fit his scheme (i.e. Lacy).

Last night's game was indeed embarrassing for ND and the NCAA.  We need a serious playoff system ASAP.

^I'm not buying that.  Any Given Saturday applies just like Any Given Sunday.  What makes the SEC head and shoulders above the rest is its depth.  The SEC has no less than 4 elite programs.  Right now, the Big 10, Big 12, and Pac 10 each have 1, maybe 2 elite programs.  I honestly think what separates the SEC more than anything is the defensive line play...... they just seem bigger, faster, nastier

Johnny Halftime: Manziel to Sit 1st Half of Opener

HOUSTON - August 29, 2013

By KRISTIE RIEKEN, AP Sports Writer

Johnny Football has done it again.  Facing another problem that could have derailed his football career, Texas A&M's Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Johnny Manziel has evaded serious punishment one more time.

Manziel was suspended Wednesday for the first half of the Aggies' season opener against Rice on Saturday for what the school said was an "inadvertent" violation of NCAA rules involving signing autographs.

The quarterback was being investigated for allegedly accepting money for autographs from memorabilia brokers, a violation of NCAA rules that could have led to a much longer suspension.  ESPN first reported the allegations against Manziel earlier this month.

MORE: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/manziel-sit-half-opener-20100621

^ I probably shouldn't be surprised by the ineptitude and incompetence of the NCAA.  But this Johnny Football junk at aTm is the last straw.  One HALF suspension!!!  What a joke.

- Manziel receives a reported five figures for a professional autograph session and gets the first half of A&M's opener off.  OSU has some players swap their own memorabilia for tattoos and loses a starting QB, a starting RB, a starting WR, a head coach and an entire season.

- Cam Newton's family gets paid a reported six figures and he keeps his Heisman while Auburn keeps its national championship.  Reggis Bush's family gets a similar payment and he has to give back his Heisman while USC gets a two-year bowl ban.

- Dez Bryant is suspended for 10 games of his senior season for having lunch with Deion Sanders (something that is not illegal).  While the systemic illegal activity around the Univ. of Miami program goes unaddressed by the NCAA going on three years now.  But the Johnny Football "investigation" gets cleared up in three weeks?

The only thing all this hit-and-miss NCAA punishment shows, is to never admit anything to them.  If the NCAA comes calling, don't admit to anything or self-punish your program.  Just hire lawyers and deny, deny, deny.  The best the toothless NCAA can do is a slap on the wrist.

Clearly the NCAA loves the SEC.  I wonder if they had cared if Texas A&M was back in the Big 12...

Oh, and I've never heard of a HALF-game suspension.  I mean, really?  What's he going to be doing for that first half, signing autographs?

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

It's because, unlike most other student-athletes, his family is wealthy enough to take legal action as far as they want against the NCAA. NCAA doesn't want getting sued by individuals to become a regular thing especially after getting sued by all those former college basketball players over the March Madness video games.

It looks classist, racist and even "conference-ist" as all get-out if you don't think about it that way though.

It's because, unlike most other student-athletes, his family is wealthy enough to take legal action as far as they want against the NCAA. NCAA doesn't want getting sued by individuals to become a regular thing especially after getting sued by all those former college basketball players over the March Madness video games.

It looks classist, racist and even "conference-ist" as all get-out if you don't think about it that way though.

Not racist. Cam Newton got to play. NCAA does not have subpoena power and they don't have evidence that he got paid or solicited to get paid.

Johnny Football goes from hero to villain faster than Usian Bolt runs the 100.  After sitting out his 30 minute suspension, Manziel starts the second half.  Manziel throws three TD's to help Texas A&M put away Rice 52-31.  But he also makes multiple "cash money" gestures and a "autograph signing" gesture to Rice players before he gets an unsportmanlike conduct penalty and is pulled by his coach on A&M's second to last drive in the 4th quarter.

MORE: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9620691/johnny-manziel-penalized-gesturing-opponents

The one time I'll be rooting for Alabama this year is when they face Manziel and A&M on week three.  After Bama beats them, we can forget about Manziel until the NFL draft.  Then he can have a Tebow-like pro career.

I know it's easy for people in the major league cities to write off college sports but they're kinda important to us in certain parts of the country.

Some may say college sports are too important to certain parts of the country

Johnny Football goes from hero to villain faster than Usian Bolt runs the 100.  After sitting out his 30 minute suspension, Manziel starts the second half.  Manziel throws three TD's to help Texas A&M put away Rice 52-31.  But he also makes multiple "cash money" gestures and a "autograph signing" gesture to Rice players before he gets an unsportmanlike conduct penalty and is pulled by his coach on A&M's second to last drive in the 4th quarter.

MORE: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9620691/johnny-manziel-penalized-gesturing-opponents

The one time I'll be rooting for Alabama this year is when they face Manziel and A&M on week three.  After Bama beats them, we can forget about Manziel until the NFL draft.  Then he can have a Tebow-like pro career.

Johnny Football's rich anyway, so he gets to take on a kind of wrestling heel persona like he's the Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase's kid or something and doesn't have to care.

He took his spring semester classes online last year.  Interesting to say the least.  That could go places.

An Ugly Rape Case Involving Vanderbilt’s Football Team Could Get Much Uglier

This summer, five football players at the elite Southern school were arrested in association with the rape of an undergraduate. The events of the night in question are even more unsettling than had been previously reported.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/bobbyallyn/an-ugly-rape-case-involving-vanderbilts-football-team-could

And the SI article on boosters paying player for years at Okie State is all over the place.

Seems like a tough thing to prove at this point.