Sign in to follow this  
Guest mrnyc

NYC: World Trade Center

Why The Mainstream Media Gets the WTC Project Wrong

By Steve Rosenbaum | 7:38 am, September 9th, 2010

Last February, I sat in my living room and watched 60 Minutes.  The story they broadcast was certain to make any American angry.  They said that almost 9 years after the attacks on the World Trade Center, the site was still an empty pit.  They showed video of a massive, empty construction site.  A huge gaping wound in lower Manhattan.  With shocking images of an empty dirt hole, CBS Anchor Scott Pelley solemnly intoned: “8 and a half years later, we wondered… Why is Ground Zero Still a Hole in the Ground?”

There was only one problem with the story.  It wasn’t true.  I’d been at the site just days before.  And shot these pictures, of foundations being poured, of artifacts being prepared for the museum, of massive memorial waterfalls being tested at the Brooklyn Navy Yard.

DSC_0914.jpeg

What I knew for a fact was the project that New Yorkers cared about, the 9/11 Memorial, was very much on target to open at the milestone 10th anniversary of 9/11/11.  So why did CBS get it wrong?  And why does so much of the media continue to get it wrong?

First of all, the site isn’t a single project.  It’s a massively complex series of projects – all sharing the same 16 acres of earth and sky.  There’s the Memorial Plaza, and two massive memorial pools.  Designed by Architect Michael Arad, the footprints of the towers have declared the space above where the towers once stood as sacred sky.  There’s the Museum – a huge undertaking of curatorial complexity and underground cavernous spaces.  It may be the first underground museum in the world – and in sheer volume, it is both daunting and awe-inspriing.  Then there is the Transit hub – a dazzling piece of architecture by Santiago Calatrava.  And that leaves the towers – 1 WTC, formerly the Freedom Tower, now rising in the northwest corner of the site, and the Silverstein office buildings known as WTC 2, 3 and 4 – with just 4 now under construction.

Full article: http://www.mediaite.com/online/why-the-mainstream-media-gets-the-wtc-project-wrong/

More about the 9/11 Memorial from New York Magazine.  Includes an 86 image slideshow of the progress on the World Trade Center site, the planning behind the memorial to be opened on 9/11/11, and the artifacts being stored off-site for the National September 11th Memorial and Museum:

Inside the Future 9/11 Reliquary:  A year before the memorial opens, the remains of that day wait patiently to be returned to ground zero from a hangar at JFK

1 wtc from yesterday afternoon via my iphone:

f06fc883.jpg

^ if yr wondering how far they have gotten heightwise -- they'll be working on floors 40-45 or so thru october

rebuilding bmcc's fiterman hall -- this is on on the northside of the wtc site (next to the already rebuilt wtc7)

fccd8bfe.jpg

yesterday was the first day i realized you could actually start to see the new 1wtc from my place, so i walked down there in the late afternoon and took a walk around the wtc site:

from the hudson riverside park below w14th st

73d9e553.jpg

from tribeca

9de4ce79.jpg

you can run the table of downtown scrapers in this view at bpc

1ee6eb36.jpg

87602264.jpg

its almost as tall as its neighbor now -- and the cranes are even taller

de7878d7.jpg

this is the westside of the tower

d3b9689b.jpg

this is the ne corner

b503bf44.jpg

eastside

6ecadd49.jpg

more eastside

b527f710.jpg

just north of the wtc site, next to wtc7, is bmcc's fiterman hall rebuild

ebcab7e7.jpg

a peek thru the fencing looking south across the wtc site at maki's wtc4

e02b9bf3.jpg

bd2da73e.jpg

wtc4 going up in the se corner of the wtc site -- across from C21

732f6687.jpg

se corner

4c7030a4.jpg

13de3e57.jpg

7a70a401.jpg

southside view of 1wtc and wtc4

78dfd9bf.jpg

looking just south of the wtc site -- whats left of the old deutsche bank tower

b1ada85d.jpg

10 floors maybe?

c01a9e98.jpg

southside of the deutsche bank building -- odd to see sunlight here above it

d9046614.jpg

great alley view that caught my eye

6574d225.jpg

new stuff -- world center hotel next to deutsche bank building site is open

4fcdd5d1.jpg

22c4f7ab.jpg

fcb8bd66.jpg

the new w hotel is across the street/south from deutsche bank

07fb98ed.jpg

ffdcec89.jpg

then just south below the w hotel something else is set to up, this is albany/washington streets

133cb354.jpg

i dk what it is, but there is a big lot, construction sheds and stuff onsite

0031efc8.jpg

this is looking north over liberty community garden in front of the brooklyn-battery tunnel entrance

20aba164.jpg

b40fc493.jpg

lots of really nice old buildings over here

296d1774.jpg

7c96b22e.jpg

lastly, not related to the wtc, but new, noteworthy & very nearby is the goldman sachs office tower in bpc

cd9130b0.jpg

b9bdb622.jpg

fc89963f.jpg

528aecb5.jpg

75e123c4.jpg

corporate art

04ca165e.jpg

this strange and awkward walkway canopy has no regard to the building next to it

201f79df.jpg

ba2bda69.jpg

i'm not a fan of this fat/bland/dallas-ish corporate tool office building, some are, but anyway there it is

7475a07c.jpg

oh i saw this on a bpc residential tower, might be developer hype or true, i have no idea how that was determined

83aaa1cb.jpg

*** so there you are, definate visible progress now -- thats whats up all around the wtc site this fall ***

these are from this morning.

i asked some workers and they said it was at the 46th floor as of today.

c6adab9c.jpg  f3c79079.jpg

also, a significant milestone has been reached, or very close to it -- deutsche bank is at long (and troubled) last finally gone. looks to be nothing but scaffolding according to this great ssp pic -- i believe it to be taken from a room at the new w hotel which is just south of the wtc site.

5153307444_da0fd7c536_b.jpg

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=5046554&posted=1#post5046554

a remarkable milestone...presenting the first cladding/windows!  :clap:

DSCN4015-1.jpg

if you are a cladding fan there is much more over on ssp and elsewhere...  :laugh:

a 1/16/11 update from wiredny:

5361312564_ab01af2355_b.jpg

"So now top of steel is about 4 feet above the 56th floor (666' 8").

Six more floors and it will be taller than #7. (It will also pass 3 WFC in the same week.) "

as of june 1st the building is at the 68th floor, the height is 830ft (1050ft w/cranes).

its above wtc7 and a dominating sight when you look downtown from the westside below 23rd st.

Less than a week until the 10th anniversary of September 11, 2001.

The Discovery Channel has been airing an in-depth series looking at the reconstruction of Ground Zero, One World Trade Center (aka Freedom Tower) and the 9-11 Memorial.  Here is the link to the Discovery Channel website:

Rising: Rebuilding Ground Zero

a milestone marker - the wtc just passed the boa atlanta building and is now the 9th largest building in the usa.

also, dont forget you can now visit the memorial, but i think you have to reserve far in advance of your trip.

^I tried getting a ticket to the memorial but when I clicked on the next future date of availability (which I think was in December--and this I tried two weeks ago) the system wouldn't allow me to book the day :x Also, I don't know how many people they allow in, but one recent Saturday I strolled around the WFC and looked out the windows only to see hardly anyone around the memorial site. I was told that there are some tickets available for any particular day that go unused if you show up early enough. One thing though, since the 10th anniversary, there seems to be a large influx of visitors downtown on weekends. The streets seems almost as busy as on a weekday; maybe they were all the protesters befouling Zuccotti Park.

a milestone marker - the wtc just passed the boa atlanta building and is now the 9th largest building in the usa.

also, dont forget you can now visit the memorial, but i think you have to reserve far in advance of your trip.

Yawn, Let us know when it breaks the top 5!! Just kidding. I visited the site Labor Day weekend. I wasn't impressed in the earlier 2000s at the first design for the new WTC, or even the design they're building now. I had the stance that they should build back what was lost, just a little better and more modern. I have to say that even though it's not complete I was impressed with how the building looked up close and amongst the NYC skyline. It'll no doubt be a nice addition.

^i feel the same. its all in the cladding, which is just top notch. the glass...anyway thats what grabs you. i didnt expect such quality materials after disappointment of the rather blah design of the building itself.

cant wait to see how the calatrava transit center turns out because that may still hold some surprises.

some news -- just cracked the 1000' barrier!

floors 87, 88 going up now and its 1097' tall at the column splices per ssp and wired.

the rate is about a floor a week.

Are they moving forward with full build-out for WTC 2 & 3 or are they still going to be stub buildings?

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Are they moving forward with full build-out for WTC 2 & 3 or are they still going to be stub buildings?

good question. that depends. the insurance $ allows for buildout of the foundation and five story stubs for now. the panynj kicks in more $ once the developer silverstein signs tenants. wtc2 aka the foster, now has a major tenant, conde nast, so that one will be a full go soon. wtc3 aka the rodgers, does not have any major tenants as yet far as i know.

the timeline was 2015 but it does not seem like wtc3 will meet that, still 3 out 4 aint bad all things considered and i think we can all live with one stubby for awhile (although personally i like wtc3 best so i hope it gets built asap).

somebody figured out 1wtc is the most expensive office tower:

At $3.8 Billion, 1 World Trade Center Is The Most Expensive Building In The World

As One World Trade Center has passed the 90th floor of its construction, it's reached another milestone: It's now costing more than $3.8 billion. The Wall Street Journal reports that it's the "world's most expensive new office tower, according to people familiar with the matter. The new figure [is] up $700 million from the latest public estimate."

http://gothamist.com/2012/01/30/one_world_trade_center_now_the_most.php

now even worse than expected!

OOPS!!! – WTC NOW $4 BILLION OVERBUDGET

10 comments

Posted on 7th February 2012 by Administrator in Economy |Politics |Social Issues

$4 billion, over budget, Port Authority, WTC

Remember how outrageous the $700 million overrun on the new WTC seemed last week. Well that estimate was just a smidgen off. The new WTC is $4 billion overbudget. Can this country do anything well? Can we ever do anything on budget? Can we do anything on-time? Ask Boeing. Ask the Port Authority of NJ. This entire project is a national disgrace. The only thing this country is good at is threatening other countries and killing people.

Port Authority audit reveals nearly $4B cost overrun for World Trade Center

Published: Tuesday, February 07, 2012, 6:24 PM   

NEW YORK — The agency building the new World Trade Center has let costs get out of control, with the estimated price tag soaring nearly $4 billion over the last four years, auditors said today.

Navigant Consulting said the project is now expected to cost $14.8 billion, 35 percent more than the last estimate, of $11 billion, in 2008.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie ordered the review of the World Trade Center site’s owner, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, after the agency’s board voted to raise bridge and tunnel tolls in August.

The auditors said the Port Authority, which runs area transit hubs including Kennedy and LaGuardia airports, is “a challenged and dysfunctional organization suffering from a lack of consistent leadership, a siloed underlying bureaucracy, poorly coordinated capital planning processes, insufficient cost controls and a lack of transparent and effective oversight of the World Trade Center program that has obscured full awareness of billions of dollars in exposure to the Port Authority.”

The Port Authority has lost millions of dollars in revenue because of lower traffic at the ports, airports and river crossings it operates, and the World Trade Center has suffered a number of setbacks since rebuilding began after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks destroyed its Twin Towers.

The company that is laying steel for the main tower has run into financial problems. A mistake in the design means the Port Authority will have to spend millions of dollars on temporary loading docks for the building. And the builders of the Sept. 11 museum are fighting with the agency over construction costs.

The Port Authority’s new director, Patrick Foye, said today the agency was taking the auditing firm’s recommendations seriously and would begin an overhaul of its structure.

http://www.theburningplatform.com/?p=29069

^ i couldn't agree more. plus seems like it would bore the kids senseless. but people continue to mob the place.

i took this iphone pic from in front of chelsea piers yesterday afternoon around sunset:

84bba474.jpg

Savor this thinking by the late Jean Baudrillard:

Some examples Baudrillard brings up of the simulacrum of the model are: 1) the development of nuclear weapons as deterrents—useful only in the hyperreal sense, a reference with no real referent, since they are always meant to be reproducible but are never intended to be used—2) the (former) Twin Towers of the World Trade Center, which replaced a New York of constantly competing, distinct heights with a singular model of the ultimate New York building: already doubled, already reproduced, itself a reproduction, a singular model for all conceivable development, and 3) a menage-a-trois with identical twins where the fantasy comprises having perfection reproduced in front of your eyes, though the reality behind this reproduction is nil and impossible to comprehend otherwise, since the twins are still just people. The very act of perceiving these, Baudrillard insists, is in the tactile sense, since we already assume the reproducibility of everything, since it is not the reality of these simulations that we imagine (in fact, we no longer "imagine" in the same sense as before; both the imagined and the real are equally hyperreal, equally both reproducible and already reproductions themselves), but the reproducibility thereof. We do not imagine them reproduced for us, since the original image is itself a reproduction—rather, we perceive the model, the simulation.

Baudrillard seems to be commenting on the sense of reproduction through equals, i.e. nuclear powers cancelling each other out, twin towers that represent the implied beginning of a "perfect" skyline and twins which can be perceived as unreal cloning of sorts.

The old World Trade Center represented the pinnacle of the super block and of modernism architecture itself. Itself represented as a "self-replication," or twins waiting for phase 3 and phase 4 etc. If the Le Corbusier model had been followed to it's logical conclusion, cities would be nothing but monolithic blocks of separated uses.

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

a construction related milestone today - the major wiring is done and they turned the power on. the temporary construction rigging power wiring will be taken down. now they can start to test elevators, etc.