Origin of your Screen Name?

Guest the pope

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

punch is short or Punchin' Pat.  My boxing name.

My all time record in the golden gloves is 0-1 (by decision)

Most people who meet me laugh when they think of me in the ring.  People who have not met me always think that thier friend "punchin" is some sort of bruiser.  Also, this brings a chuckle to people who know me

When I was in college my freshman year, my dormmates and I used to mess around with musical instruments when partying.  We called our "band" the Twelve-Inch Tools.

We decided we needed a better name.  At the time, my friend Matt was reading Malcolm X for a class.  In the book, Malcolm X used to go to the white clubs and pass out joints by saying, "You cats want some grass?"  (I should mention we did quite a bit of pot smoking.)

One night, while half-asleep, Matt was mumbling this phrase and I heard him say "You cats want some grass...you grass cats..." kind of incoherently.  The next day we decided that "Grasscats" was an excellent name for our little band.

Over the next couple of years, before going out or whatever when we were partying we'd always jam (even though none of us had much talent) under the name of Grasscats.  I even recorded most of the stuff and it's a trip to listen to.

I started a Grasscats web site at some point and just adopted the name "grasscat" for forums, etc.  Nobody really calls me "Grasscat" outside of the forums...Grasscats are really a group of people.

Magyar comes from my nationality (I'm actually Hungarian, Irish (<Dad), Scotish, Norwegian (<Mom)).

Though that's not the reason I started using it.

I was using variations of Magyar on several other boards (Magyar Geography Prez and Magyar Blue, both concern my activities at OSU back at that time) at the time I joined here.

I guess I could always junk Magyar for actual name, Sandor and teach all of you as to how to correctly pronounce it (SHAWN-dor).  8-)

My initials. Sorry, no imagination here!

KJP

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Wanna hear something really funny, Monte? I always thought that was your real name! LMAO! Ugh! :lol:

Well, my screen name is simply from my hobby as a foosball player.

Oops. I fogot that my screen name is not LetsFoos anymore. Well, I guess my current one is pretty self-explanatory.

PigBoy is my screen name for almost everything.  It's nickname created by my cousin several years ago.  Actually, the full name was "Greedy Pig Boy."  It arose from a card game where I took a bunch of cards or something.  Otherwise I have no particular interest in pigs, and I'm not a big fatso or anything.

Given my nickname, it was thrilling a few years ago during Cincinnati's "Big Pig Gig" to find that one of the pigs was called Pig Boy.

My screen name combines my love of all things urban with my passion for aviation. "CMH" is the three-letter IATA airport code for Columbus, so my nick is essentially "Columbus_Downtown." Columbus is my hometown and downtowns have always been of interest to me, so all three aspects fit well together to form my screen name.

My name goes waaayyyy back to the early days of the internet - 1995. Back then ISPs charged up to $10 per hour for access and total strangers would e-mail each other just for the thrill of getting mail!

This was the heyday of the IRC (inter-relay chat I believe) A free-for-all chat network with multitudes of "channels" covering every interest from needlepoint to satan worship. The novelty of this network was the ability to "register" your screen name. If someone logged on using your registered screen name, you could boot them off the network.

I logged on one night after watching The Doors movie and chose "MojoRisin". This name went over pretty well & I got a lot of compliments on my "cool name". Before too long, I found myself kicking off "imposters" almost every time I went on.

Unfortunately, I was off line for a few months and my registration expired. Sure enough, "MojoRisin" had been snapped up.

Hence OldMojo, to distinguish myself from those "Mojo-come-latelys"

Wow - my handle is nearly a decade old!

I had the highest security settings on my hotmail account when I signed up as "Buckeye Native" for SSP.  The security feature blocked the confirmation email because it was from an unknown email address.  Not knowing why I never got the confirmation email, I tried a new name..."Buckeye Native 01".  That didn't work either, so I created a new hotmail email address with low security settings and since "Buckeye Native" and "B.N. 01" were already taken, the next logical thing to do was to add another zero to the digits in my screen name... :drunk:

• 1 year later...

tcjoe1985 (I'm very original)

tc (thundercat, the mascot of the Ohio community college I graduated from)

joe (my name)

1985 (my birth year)

Great.

Now did you read all the other posts in this thread (so you can learn more about us)?

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was my favorite book as a kid, and Oompa Loompa is just fun to say.  I use it as my screenname everywhere.  It's interesting though that unless I introduce myself as a female on forums, I'm always assumed to be a male.  I guess you never did see any female Oompas... at least not in the movie.  There must have been some girl OompaLoompas somewhere though...  :wtf:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was my favorite book as a kid, and Oompa Loompa is just fun to say.  I use it as my screenname everywhere.  It's interesting though that unless I introduce myself as a female on forums, I'm always assumed to be a male.  I guess you never did see any female Oompas... at least not in the movie.  There must have been some girl OompaLoompas somewhere though...  :wtf:

Ahhh!  Actually, I thought you were male because we never see any female urbanohioans.

Maximillian- The Black Hole used to be my favorite movie, and "Maximillian" gets my vote for "most baddass movie robot ever"

As for my name, I will make a stupid story short.  I hate coming up with screen names, and waste a lot of time trying to think of something clever every time, unsuccessfully.  So I just said screw it, I don't need a real name- X.  Think "Brand X", "Generic", "No Name", "Signing your name with an 'X'".

my screen name is what family and ohio friends called me because i hung out in nyc a lot prior to moving there.

i was also mrbg, since two of the colleges i went to were bgsu and wku, which are both in bowling greens.

• 5 months later...

UncleRando....and its origin.

I was a junior in HS and my class was doing roll call on the 1st day of class.  The (young, new, female) teacher was going through and asked if you went by a nickname (ex. Jon instead of Jonathan) to let her know so that she could mark it down.  When she got to me I said "Well my name is Randy....but most of the ladies call me UncleRando :wink:"

I was being the obnoxious student that I was, and somehow she found it hilarious/charming.  So for the rest of my time in HS she called me UncleRando.  It eventually caught on with many of my friends beginning to call me UncleRando or Rando for short.

Ever since, UncleRando has become part of me and thus my username for virtually everything (AIM, UO, SSC, etc).

The secret origins of kingfish out of water:

Years ago, when I was a contributor to a 'zine some old high school chums were publishing at Michigan State, I arbitrarily chose M.C. Kingfish as my nom de plume. I don't know, something about "king" and "fish" being two of the cooler words in the English language; the Amos & Andy reference; it just felt right. After college, in keeping with our new found maturity, my alias morphed into Donovan Kingfish, which I've begun using of late in forums and in identity-sensitive situations. Also, living in the presence of a large south asian community, I came to discover Kingfisher Beer. Bonus.

Faced with the prospect of moving from my hometown of Detroit to Columbus, I did tons of internet research, and in the process, stumbled upon Urban Ohio. In the context of the flux and uncertainty of my life at the time, I felt "kingfish out of water" would be an appropriate identity around here.

So there you go.