Sign in to follow this  
Guest The_Cincinnati_Kid

Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: Mercer Commons

^You'd be surprised actually since a lot of urban neighborhoods planted trees 15-20 years ago that are now mature and in the wires. Add the fact that many trees planted in the 80's and 90's were Bradford Pears which are prone to limb failure on windy days.

You mean like these:

^You'd be surprised actually since a lot of urban neighborhoods planted trees 15-20 years ago that are now mature and in the wires. Add the fact that many trees planted in the 80's and 90's were Bradford Pears which are prone to limb failure on windy days.

You mean like these:

Above ground wires are awful for street trees. Street trees tend to have a life span of 15-20 years because they are simply cut down (and maybe replaced) when they start to grow into the wires. The trees in front of my house are a prime example, they were probably replaced about 5 years ago, whereas the rest of my street has trees that are much older (because the wires are higher).

A store called MADD CASA which was located in Mercer Commons at 1333 Walnut Street is closing. They have sent out the following press release:

OTR: Over The Racism

Yet another BLACK-OWNED BUSINESS closes their doors in OTR due to overwhelming racial tensions and remarks in Cincinnati’s Over-The Rhine district

Cincinnati, Ohio, August 24, 2016 – On August 31, 2016 , MADD CASA  will be closing their doors and relocating to Los Angeles California, to carry-on their known legacy of  creative and innovative, Eco-conscious clothing.

“The focus is primarily keeping the dream fulfilled while transitioning the next MADD CASA to California, and another in New York. We want to promote greatness within an artistic and innovative fashion platform” – Joney Fields, Madd Casa Owner

Madd Casa is not moving out of necessity, they are leaving by choice. Unfortunately, the OTR community is not living up to its “Think big” image and it was obviously not built with Local Black Business owners in mind. OTR has done nothing to create unity in the Cincinnati downtown district. The gentrification of OTR is pretty obvious, and so is the racism. “You can cut the tension with a knife” Says Dawn Flanigan, PR Rep for MADD CASA. “It is nearly impossible to create great art work when you are surrounded by negative energy and people that do not appreciate you” – Joney Fields.

Madd Casa officially opened their doors June 6, 2015 with the goal of creating the first eco-friendly, edgy, artistic California inspired boutique. While opening the gallery, the owners looked forward to not only showcasing their art work, but they loved the thought of being able to give back to the community by creating apprenticeships, and education based incentive programs. For example, they would offer large discounts and free products to students who received A’s and B’s on their report card. Moreover, the opportunity to create jobs was especially exciting to MADD CASA. However, after experiencing all of the racially charged comments from white people, they feared that if they hired any non-white staffers, they would endure the same despicable behaviors. "I'm embarrassed by the level of ignorance in the city and cannot employ anyone who will be disrespected because of the color of their skin.  It’s just not fair... and because of that…. we cannot create employment opportunities at this time"-Joney Fields

Madd Casa has received overwhelming support and recognition around the nation. The majority of support, in the city of Cincinnati has come from tourist and, unfortunately, was rejected by a large percentage of racially biased Cincinnati residents. Cincinnati as a whole, failed to see past the exterior appearance of the MADD CASA creators and went out of their way to spew racially disgusting comments to them for no apparent reason other than the fact that they were not the "right and excepted race".  “It’s sad, and so 1900’s, and we are OTR: Over the Racism”- Dawn Flanigan, MADD CASA PR Rep

The farewell of MADD CASA is bitter sweet. MADD CASA hopes that Cincinnati will begin to understand that art has no boundaries and racism does. Our city has lost some great people. We all need to take responsibility for the growth, development, and open mindedness of the city. If we continue to focus so much on our racial differences, we will never begin to see the potential in all that we can do together.

I've bought a few things from them. They were really nice people. I'm wondering what the "white people" said to them that was racially charged. I think their shop would have done much better if it was on Vine or Main. It was always empty whenever I went in.

You can't just insult an entire city and call us a bunch of racist white people because your business failed. It was in a bad location and according to their website their basic t-shirts run $40. There's just not a huge demand for that type of clothing in Cincinnati and stores like this one turnover all the time because of it.

I don't know what exactly the owners wanted in OTR because it is not clearly presented in the tirade of a press release, but if they didn't care enough to help create it than who cares that they're leaving? Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

This seems very strange to me.  I wouldn't know one person to ever say or even think the term "right and respected race"

Not saying some things didn't go on, but it sounds like sour grapes they couldn't get their business model moving and their price points were too high for this market.  Maybe they can make it work in LA.

Yeah, I would love to know what type of "racially charged comments from white people" they got. I feel like they would've done better if they were located on Main Street where the rent is probably lower and foot traffic is higher. Walnut Street doesn't have much going on north of Mercer right now, except for maybe a few people parking on the street and walking to 16 Bit.

Che is there as well. But honestly taestell[/member] is right. There is barely any real retail presence on Walnut and the storefronts besides what is listed above contain offices. Any apparel store is going to struggle on this street until the 1400 block of Walnut is improved and/or the offices convert to retail (which is doubtful.)

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

I had never heard of or noticed this place despite walking or biking by dozens of times.  Many businesses come and go from this area without anyone having heard of them because they don't allow illuminated signs. 

It's not that they don't allow signs, they just mandate a very standardized look. I think the issue with Queen City Tours was that it would've been "too close" to Holtman's and The Eagle's signs according to 3CDC.

28172040524_31204e85e4_b.jpg

That 1973 photo is an unfair comparison though.  It's a telephoto shot taken from the former pedestrian bridge next to Fountain Square, so we're seeing basically the entirety of Vine Street from 6th all the way to the bend at Mulberry Street.  There's only about a dozen cobrahead lights on each side of the street, which is just one per street corner north of Central Parkway, but because of the telephoto shot everything is so compressed into a single focal plane that it makes everything look way more cluttered than it really is.

I like these types of long vertical signs placed on the buildings. This is very prominent in Asian cities and really contributes to the feel of vibrancy at night. However I'm sure residents that have to live next to these signs outside their windows are not fans of it. Below is a photo I took from Seoul that illustrates the effect I am talking about.

12935011_1592518147742079_743992194_n.jpg

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Sad to see this and can only assume that their grievances are valid.

Uh no I'm not going to assume that at all.  They sound like a bunch of idiots who ran a terrible business. 

Sad to see this and can only assume that their grievances are valid.

Uh no I'm not going to assume that at all.  They sound like a bunch of idiots who ran a terrible business. 

I agree. Really, I was trying to be diplomatic. Who know whether someone offered up a racial slur. It only takes one idiot of a different ilk and we've got a "hostile neighborhood". OTOH, the motivation behind this is pretty questionable since most releases like this express deep gratitude to the whole community (or at least in part) for support.

I saw it as bluster.

They are prepping the site where the office building will go, as the final phase of the Mercer Commons project.

30183316505_b2e9e83d38_h.jpg

29887708490_f75d8e031e_h.jpg

After the rear portion of the building on 14th was removed:

29554227664_6590c675cf_h.jpg

Slowing but surely OTR is beginning to restore it's original density.

Not really.  The holes are filling in, but there are fewer units and/or people per unit in those spaces.  There is still time to build taller and larger structures on some of the bigger lots, and Liberty still holds opportunity to do so as well.

29554227664_6590c675cf_h.jpg

[/quote

You need to paint an H on that Round Flat Roof at the corner and use it as your OTR Drone Station and base of operations for all the flying you do. And live in that corner penthouse below of course.