Sign in to follow this  
Guest edale

Carew from 14 miles away?!

When driving on Glendale-Milford Rd. over I-75 at night i swear i can see the Carew Tower.  I can see what appears to be Christ Hospital and the two radio/tv towers that are near downtown and then the top of an orange lit building to the left of Christ.  This seems impossible with the hills and being 14 miles away but I dont know what else it could be.  Is this possible and if not what could it possibly be? :wtf:

It's always cool to see things like that from so far away.  I remember being surprised once to see the Columbus skyline rising over farm fields just outside the little village of Lithopolis, about 14 miles to the southeast.  Granted, maybe it's not as surprising as in Cincinnati since there are  no significant hills around Columbus to block the view, but I'd still wager that there are very few places where you can see the Columbus skyline from that far away.

ive noticed coming south on 42, a little ways north of 1-275 (west chester!) you can actually see a pretty substantial portion of the skyline (more than just the carew anyway).  At that point on 42 you are pretty well out of the valley so its a good vantage point

You can spot Carew from Cin-Day Road (somebody mentioned it earlier) and that is damn near 22 miles away.

Oh, and who cares about Cleveland's three trick ponies from a valley full of nitwits and burning rivers? ;)

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

^I have not noticed, althought I really don't venture to that part of town at all. There used to be a batting cage i used to goto near Northbend road. I wonder if it's still there. This is some 15 years ago.

You can spot Carew from Cin-Day Road (somebody mentioned it earlier) and that is damn near 22 miles away.

Oh, and who cares about Cleveland's three trick ponies from a valley full of nitwits and burning rivers? ;)

i always have a great view from one of those valleys 11 miles away of the three stooges

I hate to nitpick, but if the Cin-Day Road example being offered here is from the I-75 overpass, it's really more like 18 miles away from downtown.  (75 doesn't exactly follow a straight line from there to downtown.)  That's still pretty far away, of course. :-)

That shot in Clev. is only 18 miles away as well (at least it looks to be taken from the Turnpike overpass in Boston Heights to me).  There are also some nice surprise skyline views when coming into downtown on I-90 from the easst when in Euclid, about 12 miles from downtown.

MayDay, last time I drove between Cleveland and Akron, I noticed the view that is in that picture. Very cool. You look north to see all those forests (I think it's Cuyahoga Valley Nat. Reserve or perhaps some metropark) and then you see Cleveland's three big titans rising above all the wilderness. I love how you're driving through wilderness, but you can see you're close to a major city. It's a nice juxtaposition.

Toledo (since it's so damn flat) is visible from pretty far away as well. You can see downtown from a 80/90 overpass way out east of the city (I'm guesing 15-20 miles away) and can see it from Perrysburg when going on top of the I-475/I-75 interchange (mainly at night). My favorite view though, is out in Lake Erie from a sailboat. There are parts of Maumee Bay where you can look at the mouth of the Maumee River and see Toledo's skyline way off in the distance. Very weird to see and makes me wonder why the skyline wasn't put right on the lake like in Buffalo and Cleveland. I've always wondered about Detroit's placement too. Both cities were built upriver for some reason, but I'm not sure why. Maybe the upriver harbors were safer for ships or something.

Of all highway city views, however, my vote goes towards Nati's. The view of the skyline from I-75 in Kentucky is breath-taking. It's been mentioned before on this site.

since i'm a homer handsdown my favorite freeway view is from I-75 in SW Detroit.

You're busy driving through the oil refineries and the rest of the detroit industry, you hit a giant cement bridge, and then "bam" there it is, however its not that far away.......

I never really liked Detroit's skyline but it does come up very suddenly on 75.

yeah, if coldayman were describing it in one word, it would be "bah"

Your can see downtown Cleveland from downtown Chardon, about 30 miles away (just as Chardon road goes down the hill).  It's especially striking at night.

I hate to nitpick, but if the Cin-Day Road example being offered here is from the I-75 overpass, it's really more like 18 miles away from downtown. (75 doesn't exactly follow a straight line from there to downtown.) That's still pretty far away, of course. :-)

Actually it's 20-21 miles away. Exit 21, but over 20 miles for sure.

A surprise view of Carew comes from the Astro Wheel ride at the Harvest Home fair. You get above the trees and there it is!

John Phillips of WLW radio used to give traffic reports from a helicopter. One day I heard him say, "Only about 5 days in the year does it get as clear as it is today, and I can see the Dayton skyline from Cincinnati."

ive always been interested in the topography of certain areas.  That picture of Cleveland from far away exhibits nice, sloping hills, etc.  What are the suburbs and the surrounding areas of cleveland and akron like, especially to the southeast? 

Your can see downtown Cleveland from downtown Chardon, about 30 miles away (just as Chardon road goes down the hill).  It's especially striking at night.

Yeah I vaguely remember driving through Chardon in my teenage years at night seeing Cleveland at night. Is it from Chardon Rd? I can't remember really from where on Charon Rd, maybe its one of the other back roads Mentor Rd, Wilson Mills, Auburn Rd? If I can pin it down I'll get a picture of it at night

Does anyone know how far out into Lake Erie you can see the towers of Downtown Cleveland? I'm guessing its probobly between 20 and 30 miles.

Theres a nice view of Cleveland and its surrounding suburbs atop a hill in Chapin Forest in Kirtland especially on a clear day. You have to do some hiking to get their though. I like how you can see Toledo's skyline from the turnpike. Seeing One Seagate rise out of all those flat fields is pretty nice. Finally, at night you can see Cedar Point's "skyline" from the Rt. 2 bridge over Sandusky Bay (I suggest taking the bridge atleast once as the view of Sandusky bay is great). I always look for it on my frequent trips between Cleveland, and Toledo.

I drive I-74 E. everyday/night.  I always love to see the top of Carew's orange lit tower sticking up over the hill.  I always notice this when I'm driving and it is also just before the 'Welcome to Cincinnati....All American City"

Colday pics..

About 20 miles, from Vermilion...

a06d3204f3.jpg

And 30 miles, from Lorain...

c2f1d06c57.jpg

I know you can also see downtown Detroit, or at least the RenCen from the roof of the Eastern Michigan Observatory (6 stories), about 35 miles away in Ypsilanti.