Guest mrnyc

The World of Entertainment!

oh no -- now what will keep us awake during late-nite tv?  :|

But WAIT!! There's (no) more! Billy Mays dead (Or Billy Maze)

Billy Maze Billy Mays gives his trademark sign of approval

OK, here's the connection. Politicians sell stuff. So did Billy Mays. Like it or lump it.

6a00d8341c630a53ef0115708a89ad970c-pi

Regular Ticket readers will already know we love Billy Mays. (And not just because he was a reader.) He died today. Almost 51. Only the latest of numerous recent celebrities to depart -- Ed McMahon, Farrah, MJ, Natasha Richardson, who felt fine after bumping her head skiing. No doubt others. (And we've got a special Billy video tribute below too.)

Billy had a really rough landing on a commercial flight back home to Tampa yesterday. He said he felt fine after being hit on the head by something falling. Then, wasn't feeling well last night. No one knows yet what happened to one of the world's most famous, most successful pitchmen, straight out of the original Atlantic City Boardwalk School of Salesmanship.

6a00d8341c630a53ef0115708a3b14970c-800wi

For more, click the link

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/06/billy-mays-top-of-the-ticket.html

"Billy had a really rough landing on a commercial flight back home to Tampa yesterday. He said he felt fine after being hit on the head by something falling. Then, wasn't feeling well last night. No one knows yet what happened to one of the world's most famous, most successful pitchmen, straight out of the original Atlantic City Boardwalk School of Salesmanship."

What a bizarre death.  Sad to see how many celebrities are dying recently.  If I were famous, I'd be worried.

Finally I will get some sleep -- if it wasn't for that jackass Vince Shlomi, the "ShamWow" pitchman.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmK8PH4KhM4

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

Sort of a bummer (although his commercials did sort of bug me).  His ESPN commercial was really great, and the above McDonald's video was pretty funny too.  It seems like he was a pretty solid person.

My favorite line from the ESPN commercial:

"Live sports at work?  That sounds way better than work at work"

I'm visibly shaken.  Without Naomi there would be no Naomi C., Tyra, Iman, Liya, Veronica, Beverly J. or Beverly P.

2900568820_726ea93b80_o.jpg

Naomi Sims, 61, Pioneering Cover Girl, Is Dead

By ERIC WILSON

Naomi Sims, whose appearance as the first black model on the cover of Ladies’ Home Journal in November 1968 was a consummate moment of the Black is Beautiful movement, and who went on to design successful collections of wigs and cosmetics for black women under her name, died Saturday in Newark. She was 61 and lived in Newark.

She died of cancer, said her son, Bob Findlay.

Click on link for article.

R.I.P.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Who?

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

^The same can be said for anyone we've ever admired or looked up to but few others knew. Still, a little tact might be nice :-)

My apologies.

:|

John Hughes Dead at 59

TMZ is reporting that John Hughes, director of Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Breakfast Club, and Sixteen Candles, died of a heart attack this morning in New York. [TMZ] Update: The AP confirms.

‘Breakfast Club’ director John Hughes dies

NEW YORK - A spokeswoman for John Hughes says the director of 1980s coming-of-age films like “Sixteen Candles” and “The Breakfast Club” has died in Manhattan.  Michelle Bega says the 59-year-old Hughes died of a heart attack during a morning walk.  He was in Manhattan to visit family.

Click on link for more information.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32320427/ns/entertainment-movies/

Just saw that. Gone way too soon. :(

As somebody who grew up in 80's suburbia, I find that his films capture the essence of that time in my life far more than anything Michael Jackson ever did.

We won't forget about you, John.

3796494932_ee25a90b21.jpg

I know he delved into other topics, but he really had the ability to capture the thoughts and emotions of high school kids.  He also knew the value of the soundtrack, which in some cases was as important to a scene as the actors themselves. 

I think one of my favorite movies by him is She's Having a Baby.  Maybe because the main character was close to my age, but I especially remember the job interview scene.  Kevin Bacon is being interviewed by a 35 year old and all he can think is that he does not want to become some old loser at a job he hates (or something like that).  I totally got it then, but now I am more than a few years beyond that and it makes me laugh looking back.  Where does the time go?  Definitely gone too soon.

When I have to explain to people 40 years from now what life was like for me as a teenager in the 1980s, I will pop a cassette of Breakfast Club, 16 Candles, Weird Science, or Ferris Bueller's Day Off into my Betamax and show them! I still think Ferris Bueller is one of the most ingenious movies ever made.

Actually, I hear from my brothers' kids that they watch Hughes' movies even today because no one has done movies (at all or as well) about the challenges teenagers face.

I kept hoping he would come out with more movies. Now he never will. Very sad.

Until Allison (Breakfast Club), Duckie (Pretty in Pink) and Watts (Some Kind of Wonderful) came along, I couldn't relate to anyone I saw in most mainstream movies. John Hughes was one of the first to give us oddballs a legitimate voice. RIP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZNCnfS5SeY

It's been a rough month for those of us that came of age in the 80's. I'm really starting to feel my age these last few weeks.

...... I couldn't relate to anyone I saw in most mainstream movies. John Hughes was one of the first to give us oddballs a legitimate voice. RIP.

I can agree with that.  Although there still are many people I cannot relate to on screen. ;)

Totally agree with the sentiments said about the personal relevance of John Hughes movies to someone growing up in the 80's.  The Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller's Day Off were two of my favorites.  I hadn't thought of these movies lately, but the sad passing of John Hughes reminded me of how good they were.  My favorite quote from The Breakfast Club was the final essay at the end.

"Dear Mr. Vernon: We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong.  But, we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are.  You see us as you want to see us: in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions.  But, what we found out is that each one of us is: a brain . . . And an athlete . . . And a basket case . . . A princess . . . And a criminal.  Does that answer your question?

Sincerely yours, The Breakfast Club."

John Hughes was quite the talented director and screenwriter.  And apparently a decent person as well.  He stepped away from the Hollywood spotlight in the 90's to be with his two children and his wife of 39 years.  You will be missed, John Hughes.  But you left all of us a great legacy to remember you by.

kind of semi-famous for being semi-famous...but still sad to hear about.

Breaking: DJ AM Found Dead In Manhattan Apartment

Celebrity DJ Adam Goldstein, known as DJ AM, was found dead in his Lafayette Street apartment this afternoon. He was 36. According to TMZ, "Sources tell us he was found in his apartment at around 5:20 PM. We're told drug paraphernalia was found at the scene. Our sources say DJ AM had not been seen or heard from for a few days -- one of his friends went to check on him, but got no response after knocking on his apartment door."

http://gothamist.com/2009/08/28/breaking_dj_am_found_dead_in_soho.php

http://www.djam.com/

That's sad.  The only thing I know about DJ AM was that an old friend of mine won a DJ contest and was flown out to NYC and LV to do a couple sets with him.  It's sad to see anyone go like that, though.

poor guy. terrible.

According to People.com, an autopsy shows that celebrity DJ Adam Goldstein had eight Oxycontin pills in his stomach and one in his mouth—a source said, "He wanted to die. He was going unconscious when he took the last one. He didn't even swallow it." A Valentine from his ex-girlfriend Hayley Wood was allegedly found near him (though she denies they broke up); a bag of crack was also reportedly near his body, which was found in his Soho apartment. TMZ reports that Goldstein's funeral was scheduled for today. Additionally, his mother was made the special administrator of his estate (he did not have a will), allowing her to sell his home in LA (there was an offer on it) and settle lawsuits related to the 2008 plane crash he survived. The site adds that documents showed his "annual income from property at $3.5 million, plus an additional $400,000 in assets. The docs list his debts at $2.9 million."

Back in the day.....

There were a quite a number of Black women who turned on the young Cat Patrol.  Diane Carroll as "Julia", she became more beautiful when she hit middle age. Nichelle Nichols as Uhrura, man I wanted to knock them boots when I was 12 years old. And of course the Disco Queen Donna Summers, check out her video of "love to love  you baby" if you want to see raw sexuality.

A simple consolidation of "Entertainment" (re: ET, Access Hollywood, etc)!

Celebrities plead for Brooke Astor's son to be spared prison term

He was a cold, calculating, "morally depraved" man who spent the last years of his socialite and megaphilanthropist mother's life bilking her fortune to line his pockets. That's one way to see Anthony Marshall -- and it's the only way, according to the prosecutors who secured a conviction against him for grand larceny and scheming to defraud his mother, Brooke Astor.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/12/18/new.york.astor.marshall/index.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Facebookers rage against Simon Cowell's Christmas juggernaut

London, England (CNN) -- At least half a million Facebookers are raging against Simon Cowell, trying to keep his British TV talent show "The X-Factor" from claiming the number-one spot on the British singles chart on Christmas Day. They've vowed to download the Rage Against the Machine song "Killing in the Name" starting on Monday to make it the number-one single in the country on the Sunday before Christmas.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/12/18/facebook.cowell.christmas/index.html

Nancy O'Dell leaves Access Hollywood

(PEOPLE.com) -- Access Hollywood's Nancy O'Dell is leaving her job two years before her contract expires. Her last show will be this week. "The original member of the Access Hollywood family, co-anchor and respected broadcast journalist Nancy O'Dell, has chosen to leave the show after 13 years," said a statement from her rep. "O'Dell appreciates NBC's cooperation as she begins this next chapter in her career. Even though she will be leaving for a new opportunity, this decision is based totally on Nancy's desire to take her career to the next level and is completely amicable. She will continue on with projects as a broadcast entertainment journalist."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/12/17/nancy.odell.access.hollywood/index.html

Garner 'stalker' faces charges

A man has been charged with stalking actors Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck, after police said he showed up at their daughter's nursery. Steven Burky was arrested on Monday at the Los Angeles school where one of the couple's daughters is enrolled.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8420334.stm

Jon and Kate Gosselin's divorce finalized

(CNN) -- After 10 years of marriage, Jon and Kate Gosselin's divorce was finalized by a Pennsylvania judge on Friday. Kate Gosselin received primary custody of the couple's eight children and will continue to live with them in the former marital home, according to her attorney Mark Momjian, who added that Kate and her legal team "are very pleased with the final outcome."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/12/18/jon.kate.divorce.final/index.html

Facebookers rage against Simon Cowell's Christmas juggernaut

London, England (CNN) -- At least half a million Facebookers are raging against Simon Cowell, trying to keep his British TV talent show "The X-Factor" from claiming the number-one spot on the British singles chart on Christmas Day. They've vowed to download the Rage Against the Machine song "Killing in the Name" starting on Monday to make it the number-one single in the country on the Sunday before Christmas.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/12/18/facebook.cowell.christmas/index.html

That would explain why i have heard that song everytime i hear the song on BBC Radio 1.

Actress Brittany Murphy dead at 32

:cry:

Los Angeles, California (CNN) -- Brittany Murphy, the bubbly, free-spirited actress who appeared in such films as "Clueless" and "8 Mile," died Sunday, apparently of natural causes, the Los Angeles County Coroner's Office said. She was 32. Murphy was pronounced dead at 10:04 a.m. PT Sunday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, hospital spokeswoman Sally Stewart told CNN Radio.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/12/20/brittany.murphy/index.html

US court rejects Polanski appeal over sex case

Film director Roman Polanski's attempt to have his sex case dismissed has been rejected by a California appeals court. Polanski, currently under house arrest at his Swiss chalet, is fighting extradition to the US over a 1977 case of unlawful sex with a minor.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8425538.stm