Guest mrnyc

The World of Entertainment!

Well...we...aren't...surprised...

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

R&B singer Lyfe Jennings was arrested in Smyrna, Georgia, on Sunday night after police said he fired a gun in the air and attempted to evade arrest by leading them on a high-speed car chase. He was booked on misdemeanor charges of criminal trespass, discharging a firearm near a public highway and refusal to take a DUI test, as well as two felony counts of attempting to elude and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

Smyrna, GA....hahahhahahahahha.

Well, the shit hit the fan.

Sean Levert, denied medication, hallucinated for hours before he died in jail

Posted by dmiller November 11, 2008 09:07AM

CLEVELAND -- R&B singer Sean Levert entered the Cuyahoga County Jail on March 24 clutching the prescribed medication he took regularly for anxiety.

Jail staff took the bottle of Xanax away from him and failed to give him a single pill during the six days he was there, investigators said. Even when he began suffering horrifying delusions, he wasn't given his medication and never saw a doctor.

Instead, on March 30, jailers strapped Levert into a restraint chair, still fighting the monstrous visions in his head caused by withdrawal from the medication. Minutes later, the 39-year-old son of O'Jays star Eddie Levert stopped breathing. His heart then stopped and doctors couldn't save him.

Recently released Cuyahoga County investigators' reports, interviews and the Cuyahoga County coroner's report together reveal the details of Sean E. Levert Sr.'s final days in the overcrowded jail, run by the Cuyahoga County Sheriff's Office.

More below:

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/11/post_15.html

I read that she died while performing, exactly as she had said she would.  Wonderful ambassador for her country even though she spent the majority of her life exiled from it.

pata pata, i still love that one.

she had sort of a revival in the usa back in the 80's, when 'world music' became popular.

Wait, refusing to give someone medication that they legally had a  prescription for is not illegal?? I have seen many nurses at nursing home goto jail for not giving someone their medication.

^ this is my line of business and it is more complicated than that. you absolutely cannot bring any medication into jail. who's to say what is legal? the jail's contracted medical provider will rediagnose and represcribe any meds.

what i do not understand here is how ohio law allows for 2 weeks of diagnostic delay. that is outrageous. in nys it must initially be done at admission. really that rule needs to be changed to prevent this kind of thing.

xanax should never be aloud inside a jail, infact it should never be prescribed-other meds do the job much more effectively with much less side effects.  In withdrawal benzos don't cause death.

I'm so sad.  Ms. Kitt was super fierce.

Eartha Kitt, 1927-2008: The Original Material Girl

Something in a young chanteuse from South Carolina saw the genius in changing her name ever so slightly. Eartha Mae Keith became Eartha Kitt — discarding an ordinary surname for one of inspired felinity. It heralded the sex kitten who purred the lyrics to her lightly naughty hit singles of the early '50s; whose sophisticated persona in films and on Broadway barely concealed her claws; and who would achieve camp renown as the prowling, growling Catwoman on the '60s Batman TV series.

More below:

(See TIME's People Who Mattered in 2008.)

http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,1868753,00.html

One of the greats. A class act. And, yes, I listened to "Santa Baby" twice yesterday -- once on my Christmas mix, and then heard it on the radio later, not knowing she had died.

I met her when she was playing the Wicked Witch of the West on the Wizard of Oz when it played at the Ohio Theater about 10 years ago when I was in High School.  It was when someone from Hilliard Davidson (I went to Darby) starred as Dorothy.  Anyway, my dad told me that she was an actress in Mission Impossible and I mentioned that I don't remember seeing her in the movie as she autographed my play-bill.  She said she was sorry but was not following.  My dad then informed me as she went on to the next fan that she starred in the TV show.  I didn't know there was such a thing.  Thanks Dad.

A legend, a class act, and a beautiful person.  R.I.P.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Good article about Eartha Kitt in NY Times today. I’ve excerpted a funny paragraph about the critic’s experience while attending a performance of hers:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/27/arts/music/27kitt.html?em

“I will never forget the moment I sat too close for comfort to the stage, and she fixed her eyes on mine with an intensity that made it impossible for me to look away. I was scared to death. I never sat so close again, but over the years I would see her play the same trick on unsuspecting ringside patrons, who were both flattered and intimidated.”

I think I liked it best when she was catgirl and she threw Batman off his game . They wrote the show as if he knew what he was doing, but there was always a moment where he was completely had.

I think I liked it best when she was catgirl and she threw Batman off his game . They wrote the show as if he knew what he was doing, but there was always a moment where he was completely had.

She was the fieriest Cat Woman, by far! 

I would give shopping to have seen Miss Eartha Kitt and Miss Tallulah Bankhead in a Bat Man scene together.

Miss Kits is just a true diva through-and-through.  Marilyn Monroe was a Eartha Kitt copy cat, no pun intended.

eartha_kitt_perrinpost_2.jpg

kitt3_12860.jpg

1843978821_3395fcb628_o.jpg

But I love this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqIsZ8lTqvc

God rest her soul!!!!!!!!

Two-time Emmy Award winner Bea Arthur dead at 86

Story Highlights

(CNN) -- Bea Arthur, the actress best known for her roles as television's "Maude" and the sardonic Dorothy on "The Golden Girls," has died of cancer, a family spokesman said Saturday.

She was 86.

more at www.cnn.com

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=72716&title=bea-arthur-uncensored

I'm so sad that she has passed.  I was always hoping for a reunion of the Golden Girls.  I also was wanting to see more of her performances in general because there is nothing else like her wit.  :-)  God rest her soul.

I was one of those teenagers who had that famous Farrah Fawcett swimsuit poster on my wall in the late 1970s. She was my first "star crush" and will always be my favorite angel. I'm very sad to hear about your passing. RIP, Farrah.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/25/obit.fawcett/index.html

Farrah Fawcett, sex symbol and actress, dies

art.fawcett.portrait.gi.jpg

Farrah Fawcett rose to fame in the 1970s, thanks to a best-selling poster and the hit show "Charlie Angels."

(CNN) -- Farrah Fawcett, the blonde-maned actress whose best-selling poster and "Charlie's Angels" stardom made her one of the most famous faces in the world, died Thursday. She was 62.

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

I did not know that this poster was produced by a Cleveland company, even though I bought one 32 years ago. I might still have it, stored somewhere...

farrah-fawcett-Anal-Cancer.jpg

Before she was a star, she shows her natural beauty...

174358.jpg

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

yeah, sad but not unexpected. i caught them announcing that she was very near death on cnn last night.

more trivia: if you can peel you eyes off her on that famous poster and just looks at the hair on her shoulders it spells 'sex.' that was kind of an infamous subliminal advertising suggestion at the time (those were the days when us kids would spin records backwards to listen for hidden messages, too - heh).

R.I.P.

But hopefully the family won't be as beseiged by reporters. The people who truly cared about Farrah will get a chance to join together more peacefully and remember her for the lovely person she was.

What do you think it was about her that kept her relevent all of these years.  Think about it, the poster was a cultural phenomenon, but she was only on Charlie's Angels for one season.  Her other acting accomplishment was the burning bed, a very controversial movie, but it was made in the 80s.

Besides being married to, and the mother of, meth heads, what was it about her that the world never forgot about her?

She did just enough over the years to stay relevant. Look at her career on IMDB. While I remember some of those appearances on various shows, I had no idea she was that busy for that long.

But it also surprised me how sad I was to hear she died. For me, and many other men my age and slightly older (in our 40s), she was our first love. She was one of the most gorgeous, sweet and delicate women I've ever seen in entertainment.

^The poster and Charlie's Angels and being the wank material for an entire generation of boys.  I'm sure she was what Cindy Crawford was to people of my generation.

I haven't seen it, but her documentary about her fight against cancer seems interesting.

Good comparison with Cindy Crawford. But imagine Cindy coming out of nowhere, from a career that appeared dead, and suddenly doing an award-winning acting performance. It was shocking when Farrah did that with the Burning Bed, and then she did it again with Extremities. She proved she wasn't just a pretty face. Everybody was talking about it back then. Then she showed she could still turn heads at nearly 50 years of age when she appeared in Playboy.