Jump to content
Guest mrnyc

The World of Entertainment!

Recommended Posts

rip rutger hauer

 

 

Batty: I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

 

 

more:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rutger-hauer-dead-blade-runner-actor-was-75-1226629

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in all the buzz about rock stars dying in the past week, there were also two other notable departures: journalist Cokie Roberts, who I'm certain was no fan of Trump, but nevertheless always took a balanced and professional approach to her reporting and commentary; and also actress Phyllis Newman, who died at 86 and is probably remembered only by people, say, from their late 50's and beyond (?). Although she was an accomplished stage actor she never really became a big name in that field, baby boomers like myself who were glued to the TV growing up will forever recall her as a ubiquitous presence on the talk-and-game show circuit in the 60's. 😀 (who remembers Password? Host Allen Ludden, who died relatively young of cancer--I think--was married to Betty White)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

in all the buzz about rock stars dying in the past week, there were also two other notable departures: journalist Cokie Roberts, who I'm certain was no fan of Trump, but nevertheless always took a balanced and professional approach to her reporting and commentary; and also actress Phyllis Newman, who died at 86 and is probably remembered only by people, say, from their late 50's and beyond (?). Although she was an accomplished stage actor she never really became a big name in that field, baby boomers like myself who were glued to the TV growing up will forever recall her as a ubiquitous presence on the talk-and-game show circuit in the 60's. 😀 (who remembers Password? Host Allen Ludden, who died relatively young of cancer--I think--was married to Betty White)

 

 

 

This is great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2019 at 6:50 PM, Columbo said:

I can't believe no one has posted this yet:

 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/sean-spicer-has-most-embarrassing-dancing-with-the-stars-debut-ever-period

 

“It's like you were being attacked by a swarm of wasps,” one judge said after Spicer attempted a salsa dance.

 

 

 

As a Salsa dancer...this was nauseating!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was a major loss.  She was a living legend.

 

TVs first Black HBIC. 

 

Anytime I go into hotel, I think of this.  I remember my family and I watching this and we were all like, "that is how you make an entrance!" 

 

Anytime, I don't get the suite I request, I say this

This is one of my favorite TV scenes ever.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard there is some guy starting a class action lawsuit against her in another city.    Good for them...people have jobs to get up for to pay for her expensive tickets!  

 

Madonna starts Vegas show 2 hours late, fans demand refunds

 

https://www.fox5vegas.com/more/madonna-starts-vegas-show-hours-late-fans-demand-refunds/article_550a25ea-0270-11ea-ba90-fff16153f10c.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taylor Swift no longer able to perform the crappy songs from her first six crappy records:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/14/entertainment/taylor-swift-scooter-braun/index.html

 

I don't get how this product of a rich family who physically moved to Nashville when she was a teenager to cultivate a pop career became ensnared in a rotten record deal.  You have to be a special kind of stupid - with 50+ years of horrible record deal stories to study - to sign a crap record deal.  Her parents had the cash to hire a lawyer.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

Taylor Swift no longer able to perform the crappy songs from her first six crappy records:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/14/entertainment/taylor-swift-scooter-braun/index.html

 

I don't get how this product of a rich family who physically moved to Nashville when she was a teenager to cultivate a pop career became ensnared in a rotten record deal.  You have to be a special kind of stupid - with 50+ years of horrible record deal stories to study - to sign a crap record deal.  Her parents had the cash to hire a lawyer.  

 

 

 

 

Jake, you need to calm down.


“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 12:47 AM, jmecklenborg said:

Taylor Swift no longer able to perform the crappy songs from her first six crappy records:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/14/entertainment/taylor-swift-scooter-braun/index.html

 

I don't get how this product of a rich family who physically moved to Nashville when she was a teenager to cultivate a pop career became ensnared in a rotten record deal.  You have to be a special kind of stupid - with 50+ years of horrible record deal stories to study - to sign a crap record deal.  Her parents had the cash to hire a lawyer.  

 

 

 

As someone who worked in the recorded music business, it's easier said than done.  Without knowing the details, sounds like she owns the music but not the lyrics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MyTwoSense said:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/01/entertainment/shelley-morrison-obit-trnd/index.html

 

I love Rosario.  She reminds me of my Grandmothers friend Doña Izela.

 

 

 

 

I didn't make the connection until I had read her obituraries that she was also in the Flying Nun. I was still in elementary school, okay? lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:39 PM, JYP said:

 

Jake, you need to calm down.

 

Somebody in the business finally chimed in on the low-talent spectacle that is Taylor Swift:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/opinion/2019/12/28/taylor-swift-fight-big-machine-shows-privilege-hypocrisy-beau-davidson/4415025002/

 

Quote

"she is a pandering phony and an even bigger bully..."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha! This industry-loving hack is trying to assert that you need “vocal talent” to be successful. Toby Keith (and many many others) prove otherwise. 

Edited by surfohio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2019 at 4:34 PM, jmecklenborg said:

 

Somebody in the business finally chimed in on the low-talent spectacle that is Taylor Swift:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/opinion/2019/12/28/taylor-swift-fight-big-machine-shows-privilege-hypocrisy-beau-davidson/4415025002/

 

 

She is a piece of work and I blame Kanye's ass for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MyTwoSense said:

She is a piece of work and I blame Kanye's ass for this.

 

Meanwhile, here is the "Beau Davidson" who wrote the opinion piece for The Tennessean.  Looks like he's been tooling around Nashville for 10+ years and he's going to gain more fame from this opinion piece than any of his own music:

 

 

Plus, he sang to Trump, and meant it:

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

Plus, he sang to Trump, and meant it:

 

 

The girl in this video looks almost exactly like the singer, but with only half of the hairdo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ram23 said:

 

The girl in this video looks almost exactly like the singer, but with only half of the hairdo.

 

Half the hairdo, but her head is otherwise pretty symmetrical.  I fear that if she grew that hair out she'd immediately demand to speak to the manager. 

 

This Beau Davidson character has one of the more curiously asymmetrical faces in...The World of Entertainment.  The eyes are sort-of crossed, his nose is a mishmash of two noses, and then his mouth takes an unexpected turn to the northeast. 

 

Looking at it again, it's as if the bridge of the nose, level with the bottom of the eyes, is veering to the right. But as the bottom half of the nose itself straightens, the nostrils continue along the top half's wayward path.  Plus, the guy gives the initial impression of being one of those Australian guys in country music, so we're startled by his lack of an accent.   

 

Still, he gets a thumbs up in my book for that opinion piece - I'm pretty amazed that a low-key publication like The Tennessean ran it.   

 

davidson.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2020 at 11:24 PM, jmecklenborg said:

 

Half the hairdo, but her head is otherwise pretty symmetrical.  I fear that if she grew that hair out she'd immediately demand to speak to the manager. 

 

This Beau Davidson character has one of the more curiously asymmetrical faces in...The World of Entertainment.  The eyes are sort-of crossed, his nose is a mishmash of two noses, and then his mouth takes an unexpected turn to the northeast. 

 

Looking at it again, it's as if the bridge of the nose, level with the bottom of the eyes, is veering to the right. But as the bottom half of the nose itself straightens, the nostrils continue along the top half's wayward path.  Plus, the guy gives the initial impression of being one of those Australian guys in country music, so we're startled by his lack of an accent.   

 

Still, he gets a thumbs up in my book for that opinion piece - I'm pretty amazed that a low-key publication like The Tennessean ran it.   

 

davidson.jpg

 

I'm pretty sure this guy wants to tell us about our Lord & Savior Jesus Christ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Harry/Meghan news belong in the UK thread anymore?

https://www.the-sun.com/news/251084/the-queens-surrender-to-harry-and-meghans-selfish-demands-may-prove-the-biggest-mistake-of-her-reign/


 

Quote

 

But that’s only the start. Letting them keep their titles to amass a Kardashian-sized fortune cashing in on their royal status will be a grotesque abuse of the monarchy and taxpayers who fund it.

 

What will the public get in return? Nothing.

 

Meanwhile this revered 1,000-year-old institution will be reduced to an Instagram marketing tool for one jaw- droppingly self-centred young couple.

 

We never really thought this scandal could threaten the monarchy.

 

But its image looks in mortal danger and its finances may have to be rapidly reviewed if Harry and Meghan still receive seven-figure sums from Charles despite having £30million in the bank.

 

We appreciate the Queen’s plight, at 93 and wanting only the best for the grandson she loves.

 

But this was a moment not for a fudge but for ruthlessness to secure the monarchy’s future: No money, no titles, no using the royal name.

 

Do your duty, in full, or go it alone, in full, as private citizens.

 

 

 

Ouch, ouch, and ouch. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Articles like that are the reason why they are doing it in the first place.


"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Billie Eilish is an industry invention!  I paid no attention to this person until about two months ago when I watched some sort of big-time interview of her.  About a minute in I became suspicious.  It was a little too good to be true.  I think everyone wants to believe that she and her brother wrote and recorded those songs in their family's house so bad that if you point out NO WAY, considering she was already under contract from Interscope, you're...the BAD GUY.  

 

Next career move - she unbaggies.  So we'll see a Miley Cyrus devolution, or some such.  I'm predicting a flame-out.  The golden teen with the aw-shucks-how'd-I-get-famous shtick won't evolve into much more. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

Billie Eilish is an industry invention!  I paid no attention to this person until about two months ago when I watched some sort of big-time interview of her.  About a minute in I became suspicious.  It was a little too good to be true.  I think everyone wants to believe that she and her brother wrote and recorded those songs in their family's house so bad that if you point out NO WAY, considering she was already under contract from Interscope, you're...the BAD GUY.  

 

Next career move - she unbaggies.  So we'll see a Miley Cyrus devolution, or some such.  I'm predicting a flame-out.  The golden teen with the aw-shucks-how'd-I-get-famous shtick won't evolve into much more. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My daughter loves her, and while the darkness of some of her stuff makes me not all happy about that, the willful de-sexualization of her image is another matter.   Damn, I sound like a dad LOL.

 

This speculation comes from her parents being in the industry of course.   It’s possible.   Lydia Night (The Regrettes) also has industry parents and she seems genuine.    There’s always some degree of hype and marketing, and that leads to suspicion.

 

With Lorde, the speculation was that she was quite a bit older than she claimed, because she looked it.  In the Royals video she looked almost exactly like Holly, who was 32 at the time. I’m not sure anything ever came of that, but then again she hasn’t been heard from much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

Billie Eilish is an industry invention!  I paid no attention to this person until about two months ago when I watched some sort of big-time interview of her.  About a minute in I became suspicious.  It was a little too good to be true.  I think everyone wants to believe that she and her brother wrote and recorded those songs in their family's house so bad that if you point out NO WAY, considering she was already under contract from Interscope, you're...the BAD GUY.  

 

Next career move - she unbaggies.  So we'll see a Miley Cyrus devolution, or some such.  I'm predicting a flame-out.  The golden teen with the aw-shucks-how'd-I-get-famous shtick won't evolve into much more. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

geez you really go out of your way to bash women. its disturbing. no you did not just hear of her about two months ago (give or take, huh?). come on. yes everybody knows she is a media invention. so what. so are boy bands and a lot of pop hip hop acts, like drake. or like jonas bros and lil nas x, who were also on the grammys. i mean it would be different if you laid it on like that on for them or like the strokes. if the kids like it who cares.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very good WR, an even better filmmaker apparently!

 

University of Akron alum Matthew Cherry wins Oscar for animated short ‘Hair Love’

By Robin Goist, cleveland.com

 

LOS ANGELES, California -- Matthew A. Cherry, a former University of Akron and NFL wide receiver, won an Academy Award on Sunday for directing “Hair Love," which won best animated short film.

 

The nearly seven-minute film, which was funded through a Kickstarter campaign, depicts an African-American father’s experience of styling his young daughter’s hair for the first time.

 

“We have a big team that we have to thank, but time is running short, so I just want to say that ‘Hair Love’ was done because we wanted to see more representation in animation,” Cherry said during his acceptance speech alongside producer Karen Rupert Toliver. “We wanted to normalize Black hair.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Dayton-made documentary just won an Oscar tonight.

 

Dayton filmmakers give shout out to Buckeyes during Oscar acceptance speech for 'American Factory'

 

Dayton, Ohio is both the setting of an Oscar-nominated documentary and home to its filmmakers, Julia Reichert, Steve Bognar and Steven Reichert, who won an Oscar Sunday night for Best Documentary (Feature).

 

“American Factory” follows a Chinese billionaire as he opens a new automotive factory in the former General Motors plant in Dayton. The documentary sheds light on the clash of culture between the Chinese and American workers.

 

More below:

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/state/dayton-filmmakers-give-shout-out-to-buckeyes-during-oscar-acceptance-speech-for-american-factory

 

american_factory_directors_obamas.jpg


"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 2:33 PM, mrnyc said:

 

 

 

geez you really go out of your way to bash women. its disturbing. no you did not just hear of her about two months ago (give or take, huh?). come on. yes everybody knows she is a media invention. so what. so are boy bands and a lot of pop hip hop acts, like drake. or like jonas bros and lil nas x, who were also on the grammys. i mean it would be different if you laid it on like that on for them or like the strokes. if the kids like it who cares.

 

We go to great lengths to out fake low-class background stories.  But we're not so used to dealing with a fake bohemian background.  The entertainment industry has cultivated Ms. Eilish's persona using a mix of language that speaks to both young and old.  It's a brilliant marketing campaign.  But it's just as fake as everything else that comes out of LA.  

 

We had a clickbait campaign this week that posited 18 year-old Billy Eilish as the grand auteur of our time and tired old Eminem as the Karen-Boomer.  She and her brother grew up literally within walking distance of the record company she signed with at age 16 because her parents who worked right next door concocted the whole scheme.  I mean, at least Taylor Swift's rich parents moved the family from Pennsylvania to Nashville in their quest to turn her into a fake country star.  The O'Connells didn't even have to do that.  If it didn't work out, oh-well their modest bungalow is still worth $2 million.   

 

I'm sure that the movie 8 Mile would read like Ben Hur or Lawrence of Arabia to today's teenagers in LA, but that doesn't change the fact that Eminem is just about as close to a 100% authentic low-class figure as has ever touched pop culture, and that all of the LA people laugh at everyone who had to work crappy jobs and take a chance to move to their candy land turf.   Imagine what it's like being a 48~ year-old from nowhere who took huge chances and succeeded in conquering popular music and then you look out on a digital landscape of teenagers on their little phones making fun of you?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...