Guest mrnyc

The World of Entertainment!

RIP Gene Wilder. You were the star of the first PG movie I saw in the theater, "Silver Streak" and one of the first R movies I ever saw "Blazing Saddles." But as Willy Wonka, you showed me a side of your ability that went deeper than entertainment. Thanks for being a part of my childhood....

That's the role he'll be remembered for because it's timeless.  Ardyn and her cousins prefer it to the new version.

I recall it was a big deal that Peter Ostrum was from Cleveland, but he never did another movie.....

It's a shame.  I always thought he was a bit underrrated as a musician because his whole act was a little off and didn't really connect here (similar to how the American public wasn't quite ready for Sinead O'Connor).  I think he was a real fan of many types of American music and you can hear shades of rockabilly, hard r&b, and everything in between in his catalog.  His hits are all somewhat different styles and most have an American tint. 

I've always thought this was his best song...it's so well recorded.  The piano is mixed high, the bass leaves tons of space, and the percussion changes throughout.  This is like an instruction manual on how to record a damn song:

Here's a thing that doesn't involve someone dying!

They've mapped out the popularity of 50 different TV shows across the country. Duck Dynasty, Modern Family, The Daily Show, So You Think You Can Dance (with a Wapakoneta, Ohio shoutout), and much more. Pretty interesting info.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/12/26/upshot/duck-dynasty-vs-modern-family-television-maps.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=g-tv-maps-container&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

And now, as somewhat expected, Carrie Fisher

I saw one of those digital billboards along I-75 that cycles through 3 or 4 ads showing a non-advertising tribute to Carrie Fisher tonight.  Very bizarre to see something that normally shows used car deals and slip & fall lawyers instead showing an in-house tribute to a deceased celebrity.  There was no hashtag or anything.  Just a picture of her, her name in script writing, and 1952-2016, or whatever the years were.  So I don't know if someone donated the money to put that up or whoever owns the billboard was a big Star Wars fan. 

Rhonda Rousey just took a massive beating. I don't think she was as great of a fighter as they ever made her out to be. Seems like she was only undefeated because they put her up against a bunch of fighters that aren't that great. She's now lost two fights in a row. She's now lost two fights in a row. She might as well retire at this point. She'll never even have the confidence she once had.

Rhonda Rousey just took a massive beating. I don't think she was as great of a fighter as they ever made her out to be. Seems like she was only undefeated because they put her up against a bunch of fighters that aren't that great. She's now lost two fights in a row. She's now lost two fights in a row. She might as well retire at this point. She'll never even have the confidence she once had.

I watched a clip of her training about two years ago and was pretty impressed.  I think a lot of guys were fascinated by her because they knew she could kick their asses if they didn't get a solid hit in right away. 

Don Rickles, legendary insult comic, dead at 90

Don Rickles, a comedian and actor known for his abrasive humor, died Thursday from kidney failure at his Los Angeles home, according to his publicist, Paul Shefrin.

He was 90 years old.

Known as the world's greatest insult comic, Rickles enjoyed a career that spanned decades and found him performing in everything from nightclubs to a Martin Scorsese film.

Rickles reveled in being the opposite of politically correct.

More below:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/06/entertainment/don-rickles-dead/index.html

67062a.jpg

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Michael Moore's Broadway show gets panned. You know this must really be bad when even a New York Times theater critic sympathetic to Moore's politics hated it--

Review: Michael Moore, Bragging on Broadway, in ‘The Terms of My Surrender’

THE TERMS OF MY SURRENDER

Broadway, Solo Performance, Play  2 hrs. Closing Date: October 22, 2017 Belasco Theatre, 111 W. 44th St.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/10/theater/review-michael-moore-bragging-on-broadway-in-the-terms-of-my-surrender.html

100-year old Big Band singer Bea Wain dies (who would have thought any were still alive? oops, actually Cincinnati's own Doris Day is still around, at 95)

Bea Wain, Star Singer of the Big Band Era, Dies at 100

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/24/arts/music/bea-wain-star-singer-of-the-big-band-era-dies-at-100.html

^On the other side of the music spectrum, the original Misfits lineup announced a single show for 2017, at the LA Forum.  They sold the damn thing out.  17,000 seats. 

A few weeks ago I was at work and some guy who was about 22 played about 2 hours of the old Misfits records, unprompted.  It's kind of amazing that this band is somehow massively bigger now in 2017 than they were in 1983 or whenever they broke up. 

^On the other side of the music spectrum, the original Misfits lineup announced a single show for 2017, at the LA Forum.  They sold the damn thing out.  17,000 seats. 

A few weeks ago I was at work and some guy who was about 22 played about 2 hours of the old Misfits records, unprompted.  It's kind of amazing that this band is somehow massively bigger now in 2017 than they were in 1983 or whenever they broke up. 

i saw that. its a nostalgia one off that has been building for a long, long time. although it would not surpize me if they did more shows. the misfits were big back in their day too. not arena filling big, but big. i was always more of a fan of samhain, danzig's interim group, than misfits or danzig. initium, unholy fire and especially november coming rain were the master blaster jams.

I listened to those Samhain records a few times on youtube maybe 3-4 years ago.  The CD's were too expensive last time I checked, like $100 each.  It was surprisingly different and good. 

My intro to the guy was through Danzig when that She Rides video first aired on Mtv, probably back in 1988.  That video was so over-the-top!  In college I was friends with this guy who was about 4 years older than me who was totally into all that stuff when it came out, so he was a pretty big Misfits guy.  But he didn't wear it on his sleeve, literally, as do seemingly tens of thousands of people around the country.  There has been a Misfits mural in Cincinnati for at least 15 years on the side of a record store. 

Now I work with some guys who are 10 years younger than me who fire up The Misfits on the stereo with some regularity.  I think there is a Gen X blackout period where the band didn't accumulate many new fans, and I'm from that time period. 

^I would assume that this reunion was motivated by the complete absence of royalties from their old material.  I'd expect that the band was generating $100,000+ in royalties in the 1990s, back when everyone was re-buying their record collections on CD, so the guys could afford to not talk to Glen.  Then they started up various new non-Glen incarnations of the band in the late-90s.  Then they got desperate after 2010.  They can play 1 date with Glen and gross more than 100 nights touring the world without him.  These guys have families, so it's not a tough choice.  They're going to pocket $500k+ from this single LA gig! 

I forgot about that. Of course, I'm a little younger than you and most people on the forum but when I was just a pre-teen or early teen, I'd have tapes of a couple of my favorite artists and would re-buy them on CD because the sound quality was better. At least for your favorite artists, you want something that can stand the test of time and equipment. Everyone got sick of their (cassette) tapes being eaten. I bet the unreliability of cassette players and potential for demagnetization (is that a word?) at least somewhat substantially contributed to better album sales. CDs also scratch and break and I don't think buffers were available from the get-go. At least, for the average consumer.

The Sony Walkman was the thing to have when I was a kid but d@mn were they awkward to carry around. It was a good thing baggy jeans with big pockets were in style back then. You'd try to go jogging or just walk around and one sudden tilt would cause the CD to skip and ruin your eargasm. Even the anti-skip portable cd players would do that, just to a lesser extent.

Once MP3 players came out, I was 12-14 and already knew how to pirate music and video through file sharing programs like Napster, LimeWire, BitTorrent. I used to make so much money in middle school from my classmates and their parents who would give me a track list of all their favorite songs they could think of and I'd make CDs for them. Maybe it was because I went to poor Cincinnati Public Schools and most of my classmates didn't have computers but I think at the time, most people didn't have a way to acquire random favorite songs in that manner without buying entire albums that usually have 3-4 good tracks with the rest being filler. At that time, you were still a nerd for figuring that sort of stuff out on the computer.

I haven't bought a CD since 2006 and I only bought it because I really wanted to support the artist. Album art used to be a cool feature and if it was an artist you really liked, you appreciated all of the lyrics being contained on there but now you can instantly access that stuff online with a google search so it's become irrelevant.

I wonder if old CDs will be worth a lot of money in the same way vinyl can be. I doubt it though because I heard that with vinyl, you have 'first editions' that sound closer to the master recording, before they become copies of copies of copies of copies, so the first round that they manufacture is the most sought after. I don't know much about it though. I am pretty confident that no one is going to get nostalgic for cassette tapes unless they're EXTREMELY rare ones.

I bought an old cheap 25-disc CD player off of ebay a few years ago to play all of my CD's on shuffle for a party and that was a mistake.  An expensive CD player really makes a difference and those multi-disc changers were gimmicks.  Oh well, I only wasted $50 on something that sold for $500 back in 1993. 

I heard a $100,000 home stereo in a listening room at a high-end audio store in New York City about ten years ago.  It was unbelievable. 

RIP Tom Petty. Here's an ad for Tom Petty at the Palace Theater on Playhouse Square, Cleveland, November 1979. Nice lineup of musicians at the other venues too......

DLKNYm1U8AUNr0o.jpg:large

"Most of us have been conditioned to regard military combat as exciting and glamorous -- an opportunity for men to prove their competence and courage. Since armies are legal, we feel that war is acceptable; in general, nobody feels that that war is criminal or that accepting it is a criminal attitude. In fact, we have been brainwashed. War is neither glamorous nor attractive. It is monstrous. Its very nature is one of tragedy and suffering" --Dalai Lama

RIP Tom Petty. Here's an ad for Tom Petty at the Palace Theater on Playhouse Square, Cleveland, November 1979. Nice lineup of musicians at the other venues too......

DLKNYm1U8AUNr0o.jpg:large

Steve Forbert's hit was just on the "Everybody Wants Some" soundtrack, so he might have seen some coin from that.

John Gorman writes in "Buzzard" about M-105 desperately plugging that show and basically giving away tickets.  This when 105 was locked into a fierce rivalry with MMS.  I liked the song then and like it now, but damn if his management didn't back the wrong horse in a market that was key to breaking an act like him.

Ben Affleck, yet another Hollywood, chicken-shit hypocrite LIAR.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/10/entertainment/jennifer-lawrence-george-clooney-weinstein/index.html

As though he gives a flying f-uck about women being harassed and abused.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/ben-affleck-most-embarrassing-big-9926745

If my serial-rapist-brother won on Oscar and I were present, I would sit stone faced and not say a goddamn word. Of course my brother would have been long dead to me by then. F'ing hypocrite. They all are. Men and women alike.

In all seriousness though, there are a lot of sleazy men out there.  This is all really highlighting what women talk about when they use the term rape culture.

In all seriousness though, there are a lot of sleazy men out there.  This is all really highlighting what women talk about when they use the term rape culture.

One kind of bizarre but I suppose predictable thing I saw on Twitter was the reaction when some guys pointed out that there are also male victims of (male initiated) sexual harassment and even assault in an around the movie industry.  Some of the more strident feminists were all "how dare you bring up something completely different in this context!!?"    Really?  To be fair, others agreed with those making this point.

It should go without saying because ultimately this is about power and dominance, not sex.  I wouldn't be surprised if Weinstein himself is accused and would be less surprised if the accusations were accurate.

In a way it's a little worse.  While I think some of the redefinition of "sexual harassment" that happened in the wake of the Anita Hill allegations is petty and pureile, I would concede that in a way it helped get us to the point where female victims of harrassment and assault are usually no long blamed (except perhaps by Donna Karan).  That isn't true for men who come forward, not yet.