Guest mrnyc

The World of Entertainment!

his show started in cleveland.

TV pioneer Mike Douglas dies

1.jpg

Mike Douglas, right, gets some help from guests Eartha Kitt and Cliff Arquette in limbering up for a dance number on his talk show, which originated in Cleveland in the early '60s. Click here for more photos. (Jim Gayle/Plain Dealer Archives)

10 a.m.

Daytime talk show pioneer Mike Douglas, who got his start in Cleveland, died Friday at a hospital in North Palm Beach, Fla. He was 81. The “Mike Douglas Show” aired every weekday for two decades, bringing a mix of talk, entertainment and information to millions of American households. During more than 4,000 shows, Douglas used his easy charm and self-effacing manner to bring out the best in actors, comedians, musicians scientists, athletes, authors and politicians — including seven presidents — as well as delight his wide audience.

www.plaindealer.com

As dated as his show must seem in today's trash talk show world.... I remember Mike Douglas show very well for the incredible musical talent that he brought on.... including some artists who today are considered legends ... John Lennon, Frank Zappa, The Who, Ike & Tina Turner.....and many others.

I hope one of the cable channels finds the old tapes and reruns them.

In 1960, KYW television producer Woody Fraser had an idea for a live talk and entertainment show.

Funny story, I have a friend who is friends with Woody Fraser's kid.

It is all over the news now.  I was very surprised to hear the news of his death.  I personally always enjoyed his animal shows.  We were just at Sea World in January at a Sting Ray petting tank and it is hard to imagine that he died from a Sting Ray but once it was explained further on the CNN, it sounded very painful.

sad news:

R&B singer Gerald Levert dead at 40

POSTED: 4:46 p.m. EST, November 10, 2006

(CNN) -- Gerald Levert, the R&B singer whose hits included "I Swear" and "I'd Give Anything," as well as chart-toppers with the groups LeVert and LSG, has died, according to his label, Atlantic Records. He was 40. Levert died of a heart attack Friday at his Cleveland, Ohio, home, according a statement from Atlantic.

More at www.cnn.com

That's very sad, even though I didn't really know him other than his Tri-C commercials and the episode of MTV's My Super Sweet Sixteen that featured his daughter.

Believe it or not he is my cousin. When he and his father got back from South Africa he said he felt cold and clammy and cancelled a photo shoot he had the next day. He told one of our cousins to wake him up Friday morning and thats when she found him. R.I.P..

for a brief introduction on Gerald, go rent Standing In The Shadows of Motown and you'll learn about the scenes behind the story of the motown sound.

Does this movie reference his father as well?

for a brief introduction on Gerald, go rent Standing In The Shadows of Motown and you'll learn about the scenes behind the story of the motown sound.

Does this movie reference his father as well?

Oddly no. The documentary "documents" the actual musicians (the funk brothers) of the motown sound through a hybrid of interviews and performances of motown classics by modern artists (Ben harper, Gerald, chaka kahn, Tom Scott, Joan Osborne, Bootsy Collins, Montell Jordan, etc., recorded during performances from 2000 i think.

I would think given your background you may be familiar with a few of the musicians, probably the most notable being James Jamerson.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0314725/ (some more detail)

Stevie Wonder will take part in the public memorial service for R&B crooner Gerald Levert at noon Friday at Music Hall in Cleveland.

The event, billed as a “Celebration of Life,” also will include a duet performance by Levert’s younger brother Sean and their father, Eddie Levert of the O’Jays.

R&B singers Angela Winbush, Angie Stone and Johnny Gill (a member of the group LSG, along with Gerald Levert and Keith Sweat) are set to pay tribute, too. Other VIP guests are expected to be announced.

Doors open at 11 a.m. Friday. Seating will be first come, first served in the 2,800-capacity Music Hall. The public is asked to use the St. Clair Avenue entrance.

Fans are encouraged to wear purple, which was Levert’s favorite color.

“People are coming from all over the country,” said Patti Webster, a spokeswoman for the Levert family.

Organizers are still trying to determine how to handle any crowd overflow.

The service is expected to last between 60 and 90 minutes, with musical performances, eulogies and a video presentation. The event will be broadcast live on WZAK FM/93.1.

As of Tuesday, there were no plans to broadcast the service on television or on the Internet, Webster said.

Levert died Friday. He was 40. Preliminary autopsy results indicated he had mild to moderate heart disease.

Levert’s solo hits included “Taking Everything,” “Thinkin’ Bout It” and “I’d Give Anything.” He also found success as a member of the groups LeVert and LSG. He was born in Canton, raised in Shaker Heights and resided in Newbury Township.

Levert’s remains will be cremated. His family will attend a private funeral service, as well as Friday’s tribute.

In lieu of flowers, the Levert family suggests contributions to the Rhythm and Blues Foundation. Checks (payable to the Rhythm and Blues Foundation) and condolences may be sent to Andy Gibson, Trevel Productions Inc., 13816 Cedar Road, University Heights, OH 44118.

Tough, tough loss... Gerald was a fellow Shaker grad.  He, his dad, Eddie, and O'Jays really embraced this city and Cleveland loved him (and them) back.  Gone at 40?  Much too soon.

we are fighting two wars right now.  Somalia and Ethiopia are about to explode in violence, the premire of Turkmenistan just died and this is what the news industry is focusing on. great.

Donald Trump is an ass clown. How many times does he have to mention "Many billions of dollars" and "Wharton school of Finance"? That does nothing to validate his argument. He used this as an opportunity to get attention and promote his own interests--she just made him a lot more money than he'd get out of suing her.

Donald Trump is an ass clown. How many times does he have to mention "Many billions of dollars" and "Wharton school of Finance"? That does nothing to validate his argument. He used this as an opportunity to get attention and promote his own interests--she just made him a lot more money than he'd get out of suing her.

I couldn't agree more!  Try working with him.  He's a pain in the ass!  However, Rosie is a piece of cake herself.  She got a 'tude cause I didn't want to go the the gay cruise!

Donald wears to much make-up (I'm not even going to talk about the hair don't) and Rosie is crazee .......

About a month ago, Al Jazeera launched its new english version of its news network.  I've read a few stories here and there but don't visit it regularly.  Honestly, I think I am overwhelmed by the amount of stories on there that are--well--new.  There seems to be a lot of reports on crisis in Darfur and Iran and other things that CNN, Fox News, and other news agencies in the West don't seem to care about.  I think it is interesting that Al Jazeera has launched an English version.  I'm hoping that it will offer a new fresh perspective on the world.  :-) 

Here's a link to there sight.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/55ABE840-AC30-41D2-BDC9-06BBE2A36665.htm?

looks like he had plenty of dayton/columbus ties:

Longtime President of CBS Dies at 98

Dec 25 3:07 PM US/Eastern

Frank Stanton, a broadcasting pioneer and CBS president for 26 years who helped build its TV operation into the "Tiffany network," has died at the age of 98. Stanton died in his sleep at his Boston home on Sunday, said longtime friend Elisabeth Allison.

For more information, please click the link.

www.cnn.com

Rosie really needed to be stopped.  I mean, the next day on The View, her face was longer than a run-on sentence.  Her ego was severely diminished and all that I could say was, "About damned time!"  She has the audacity to just go ahead and label Clay Aiken a homosexual even though he has not publicly spoken on his sexual orientation.  Did he share something with her that he has not shared with the rest of America?  If so, she is not very trustworthy.  So much for Clay trusting an insecure lesbian.  Donald Trump hit it on the head when he stated that Rosie is not funny and a loser.  She is loud and aggressive and uses her weight and obnoxious attitude to push people around.  It is almost like the old adage, you can't compete with a person that has the microphone.  Rosie knows this and what she counted on was Donald Trump taking the high road like everyone else she has offended.  What Donald did was get down in the gutter with her and sling mud harder and shut that hippo's mouth (and to garner ratings for The Apprentice and the Miss America/Miss Universe pageants :-D).  I absolutely detest Rosie's public personae and I am so glad that someone finally had the balls to tell her to stop.  She mocked Donald mercilessly the day before, insulted him as a person, and made light of his past financial troubles.  Of course she struck a cord in Donald and bruised his ego.  However, there's no coming back from Donald saying what we all feel:  She is a very, very unattractive woman who has failed at everything she has put her hands upon.  She is a failure and the only reason that people keep her around is because they feel sorry for her.

All of this is petty...but it sure feels good when at long last an asshole takes a beating from an even bigger asshole.     

About a month ago, Al Jazeera launched its new english version of its news network.  I've read a few stories here and there but don't visit it regularly.  Honestly, I think I am overwhelmed by the amount of stories on there that are--well--new.  There seems to be a lot of reports on crisis in Darfur and Iran and other things that CNN, Fox News, and other news agencies in the West don't seem to care about.  I think it is interesting that Al Jazeera has launched an English version.  I'm hoping that it will offer a new fresh perspective on the world.  :-) 

Here's a link to there sight.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/55ABE840-AC30-41D2-BDC9-06BBE2A36665.htm?

We get Jazeera on our European satellite system. Sobering stuff. It there an agenda at work? Possibly-to-likely. Unfortunately, it is far more representative of the rest of the world's perception of the U.S. than anything you'll see on the networks or CNN and Fox. And they're not just airing the latest Osama mix tape. I saw a mind-blowing segment on the Agent Orange generation of kids in Vietnam. Birth defects and deformations beyond belief, and not a tinker's damn worth of guilt owned up to by the U.S. government.  I honestly think we'd have a better country on our hands if we all tuned in a few hours a week.

What that obit omits is that Stanton was the one who drove Edward Murrow out of CBS.*

Stanton (who was entertainment) and Murrow (hard news) were constantly bickering and angling to have Paley's ear.

* - Biased source; Murrow's biography.  If you've seen the opening scene of "Good Night and Good Luck."

Murrow's speech, which actually happened, was him venting on Stanton cutting CBS Reports.

American soldiers who handled Agent Orange are suffering health problems, too. The gummint dened this, of course.

Definitely. And to a larger degree (yet not enough), the U.S. news outlets have covered that story. Sad story on both fronts.

^Stop insulting my thread.. urgghh!!!

You have no idea how badly I want to care about this topic. But...but...

Nothin'.

From the AP, 9/1/07:

Comedian cited in Ohio

Comedian Andy Dick was cited by Columbus, Ohio, police who said he urinated on a sidewalk after a weekend at a comedy club, where the club manager said he made inappropriate comments while on stage and groped patrons. Dick, a former co-star of the 1990s sitcom "NewsRadio," also took women into the men's room and urinated on the floor and on at least one person during his performances last weekend at the Funny Bone Comedy Club, said Dave Stroupe, the club's managing partner.

For more, click below

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070901/ENT/709010335/1025/rss05