Cleveland: Flats East Bank

On 12/20/2019 at 4:47 PM, Pugu said:

what are they---townhouses? or apartments--and if apts--for sale or for rent?

On 12/20/2019 at 4:55 PM, skiwest said:

15 minutes ago, Pugu said:

are those new river front places townhouses? or apartments--and if apts--for sale or for rent?

It’s like deja vu all over again. ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

FYI, if you're hoping that this is a sign that the Phase 3B (the 12-story apartment building over retail/co-working/theater) will be getting built soon, it's not. It's true that Wolstein's financial covenants require him to build these riverfront restaurants (3A) first before moving on to 3B. But unfortunately, I'm hearing Wolstein is having some cash-flow issues at his company. That may explain his cash-out of his firm's interest in the Renaissance Center in Playhouse Square earlier this year....

Berkadia closes $33 million loan for downtown Cleveland office building

https://www.rejournals.com/berkadia-closes-$33-million-loan-for-downtown-cleveland-office-building-20190114

• Thanks 1

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

13 minutes ago, KJP said:

FYI, if you're hoping that this is a sign that the Phase 3B (the 12-story apartment building over retail/co-working/theater) will be getting built soon, it's not. It's true that Wolstein's financial covenants require him to build these riverfront restaurants (3A) first before moving on to 3B. But unfortunately, I'm hearing Wolstein is having some cash-flow issues at his company. That may explain his cash-out of his firm's interest in the Renaissance Center in Playhouse Square earlier this year....

Berkadia closes $33 million loan for downtown Cleveland office building

https://www.rejournals.com/berkadia-closes-$33-million-loan-for-downtown-cleveland-office-building-20190114

Didn’t he cash out on Phase 2 apartment building as well? And for what it’s worth, there’s a cleaners up the hill on West 9th, as well as a pretty good Constantinos. And a liquor store on West 6th. 

• Like 2

• MayDay locked this topic

I think the Admins and Mods are all in agreement - off-topic posts bring out our giving spirit; giving suspensions, time off, etc. Help your forum staff have a Merry Christmas and keep posts on topic and know when to take tangential (or in the case of MyTwoSense, interrogations) to private messages.

4968F998-11F9-4742-8E79-1E57CEB5D94E.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • X unlocked this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Htsguy said:

Which partner?

Great Scott!

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Wow is right! That's too bad.

Sounds like they need better property management. I'm surprised they don't install wood laminate flooring in hallways/elevators. They're easy to maintain vs carpeting.  As for noise, if you live in Party Central, you have to anticipate noise, drunks and everything that accompanies those things.

Edited by Frmr CLEder
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

Wow is right! That's too bad.

Sounds like they need better property management. I'm surprised they don't install wood laminate flooring in hallways/elevators. They're easy to maintain vs carpeting.  As for noise, if you live in Party Central, you have to anticipate noise, drunks and everything that accompanies those things.

Don't forget that this place had a dude running a fetynal lab out of the top floor. 

• Sad 2

43 minutes ago, West153 said:

According to apartments.com, FEB has 24 units currently available out of 241 total units - that puts it at 90.04% occupancy.

Not bad, especially if these reviews are accurate.. 

https://www.apartmentratings.com/oh/cleveland/flats-at-east-bank_9199332346275160110/

Last Fall in was down to around 10 vacancies

As a new Urban Ohio forum member in the mid 2000s I was weaned on this thread.  It was like the SHW thread today.  Pages of discussion regarding shady property owners, eminent domain, court cases, city subsidies, infrastructure issues, connectivity, design critiques, alternative developments, effect of the recession and stories about the old flats, among other topics.  At times it  was very frustrating but the vision was exciting.  After more than 15 years I find it frustrating that the development is still not near completed and I have to admit, it is not the neighborhood I thought it was going to be when the project was first announced.  It is not awful but it is not the proposed vision and I don;t know if it ever can/will be.  One of my biggest frustrations has nothing to do with Wolstein.  That is, for some reason it has not resulted in any significant companion development up the hill and down River Road.

• Like 2

I guess I'm more satisfied with what has been developed. I wasn't expecting anything. I was hopeful but with a wait-and-see approach. So what I got was more than what I was expecting -- a brand-new neighborhood from the sewers up that, in my opinion, is better than the old Flats East Bank. My only disappointment so far is that the 12-story apartment building on West 11th hasn't been built and that it hasn't generated more riders for the Waterfront line. Although that's tough to do when the WFL stops running at 7 p.m.

There is more potential development brewing for the area, especially south of Main Avenue. But it's possible that FEB might have someday have something in common with the Cleveland Union Terminal Group development that started in the 1920s....it's still not finished 90 years later.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KJP said:

I guess I'm more satisfied with what has been developed. I wasn't expecting anything. I was hopeful but with a wait-and-see approach. So what I got was more than what I was expecting -- a brand-new neighborhood from the sewers up that, in my opinion, is better than the old Flats East Bank. My only disappointment so far is that the 12-story apartment building on West 11th hasn't been built and that it hasn't generated more riders for the Waterfront line. Although that's tough to do when the WFL stops running at 7 p.m.

There is more potential development brewing for the area, especially south of Main Avenue. But it's possible that FEB might have someday have something in common with the Cleveland Union Terminal Group development that started in the 1920s....it's still not finished 90 years later.

Isn't this a bit like "The Chicken and Egg" argument.  If more people were down in the area riding the WFL it could justify staying open later, but the WFL needs to stay open later to have more people utilize it!!!  Round and round we go!!!

• Like 2

I've said this before and received a major backlash from forumers from some reason which I never understood--and then my post got deleted.  But I'll say it again:

For the area to be successful, it needs to be made into a real neighborhood--not just apartments built surrounded by bars and restaurants that are on the pricier end.  It needs:  a drug store, a deli to pick up quick food/snacks, laundromat/dry cleaner, a few coffee shops, some small little bars (that are not intended to draw a weekend crowd, but just locals), some non-upscale places to eat like a chipotle, cheap chinese place, etc, some bldgs with for-sale apartment units, and a few other local shops.  Why are Lakewood and Cle Hts desirable, yet cool places to be? Because it has this mix of uses and across price points.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, KJP said:

Samsel property?

• 2 weeks later...

^"...There will soon be two three story buildings right on the river going by the name of the Riverfront Restaurants! The East Bank skyline will look very different in the near future!"

Ha! I never heard of "three story buildings" and "skyline" used together in the same breath.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 2/22/2016 at 2:06 PM, dar124 said:

Unveiling scheduled Thursday at Aloft Hotel for Main Avenue Bridge Underpass Improvement Design

CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Chicago-based urban design firm of PORT Urbanism on Thursday will unveil a detailed plan to improve the shadowy, confusing zone under the Main Avenue Bridge that separates the Historic Warehouse District from the new Flats East Bank development on the Cuyahoga River.

The plan calls for new signs, pavement striping, plantings, seating areas and sculptural lighting elements.

It will be presented to the general public at the Aloft Hotel Riviera Ballroom, 1111 W. 10th Street, in a program from 5 to 7 p.m., Thursday, the Downtown Cleveland Alliance announced.  The presentation is to begin at 5:30 p.m.

http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2016/02/post_2.html

Does anyone know what happened to this? I know the bridge got repaired and painted in the interim holding thing up, but that finished a good while ago. 

• Like 1

My hovercraft is full of eels

16 minutes ago, roman totale XVII said:

Does anyone know what happened to this? I know the bridge got repaired and painted in the interim holding thing up, but that finished a good while ago. 

The last thing I heard is they are still trying to raise enough money for the entire project.  They still don't have quite enough money yet...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• MayDay locked this topic
  • MayDay unlocked this topic
  • 1 month later...

This is probably a construction project you don't need to rush to get open anytime soon...

• 1 month later...
54 minutes ago, freethink said:

@Geowizical

You probably could have included Kenect Cleveland in one of those. I don't think it's dead yet.

IMG_20200517_163604_290.JPG

Your spidey-sense must've been tingling. Although that Dodge report says the project has a target start date of 01/012019, I was just talking with someone this morning who said this project has its financing. They actually had it a while ago, with gap financing provided by GBX which is getting more into new construction, but are delayed by the pandemic. Hopefully it will start later this year.

Edited by KJP
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

BTW, the reason why I was asking someone this morning about the status of Flats East Bank Phase 3B (the 12-story apartment building) is because Wolstein is getting involved in another big project. When I heard that, my first reaction is -- either FEB is dead or it's imminent, otherwise why would Wolstein be moving on to another heavy lift? And yes, there's another article coming. ? 

• Like 18
  • Love 6
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

With the pandemic and the protests, how are the FEB establishments doing?

We had dinner at Lindsay’s Lake House and there was a very good crowd there for a Thursday night, although it was beautiful out.  I honestly don’t know if Margaritaville or Collision Bend were open but they didn’t appear to be.  There was a decent amount of pedestrians but probably down a bit with the current events and not every bar and restaurant being opened as a factor.  I’ve yet to get down there on a weekend to see how business is but hope to soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Frmr CLEder said:

With the pandemic and the protests, how are the FEB establishments doing?

Does anyone know if there was any rioting or looting in the FEB.

The local TV stations mentioned E.4, Playhouse Square,  Prospect etc. 

There was no mention of W. 6 or FEB. Does anyone know. ?

I was waling down there this morning and was going to post pics, but these are better lol!  They are definitely building these to last!  From the boardwalk, they'll make quite an impression.....now lets see who fills the space!

Glad to see this moving forward and it will have a great presence. I wonder though about the additional retail/restaurant space, especially since there are still spaces under the apartments that have never leased and now Punch Bowl closing. Perhaps 3b is going to be tweaked to include less?