Sign in to follow this  
Guest REP4Cleveland216

Most Dangerous Ohio City

Most Dangerous Ohio City

Do we even need to ask? Cleveland is constantly ranked one of the most dangerous cities in the country and always the most dangerous in Ohio. But I always found it funny that one of its largest suburbs (Parma) is consistently ranked one of America's safest.

I have to give OTR the worst neighborhood nod... but Cleveland wins out for overall most dangerous city.  It almost seems like you are proud of this fact, I don't quite understand that.

LMAO Ruby Tuesday comment...

East Cleveland gets my vote. Too many foreclosures/abandoned buildings/boarded up houses allows for prostitution, drugs, and all that other stuff to take place off the streets. A small and corrupted police force/city hall doesn't exactly help either.

As for Cleveland, all along and around E. 105th between St. Clair and Superior is bad news, as is Garden Valley, the "Forgotten Triangle" that encompasses it, and of course Hough in the high E. 80's. Also, the city of Lorain (not the street, but the actual city) is very dangerous for its size.

>Another one of those black threads.

The nastiest white area in Ohio is the Rt. 13 corridor.  Chauncey and Glouster are two incredibly lawless places, sources countless Jerry Springer guests.  Local law enforcement is outrageously corrupt, meth grows on trees, and 14 year-old mothers work the corners.  Now imagine a whole state full of those towns and that's more or less what Mississippi is.     

My favorite Chauncey resident lived in a camper next to his dad's trailer, and by his own admission got high listening to Black Sabbath every night still at age 45.  I also witnessed him one morning eat raw bloody chicken from the cooler in the back of Kentucky Fried Chicken and walk around for a bit with a piece in his beard.     

You've tempted me to visit these 2 cities that I previously never even heard of! It sounds like the quality of life is extremely low? Tell us more about these 2 cities, please!

" It almost seems like you are proud of this fact, I don't quite understand that."

It goes along the line of thinking that "adversity builds character". I certainly agree that it does, but you certainly don't see me relishing my working-class Appalachian roots, or the fact that I've eaten government cheese.

Folks, you can feel free to discuss crime stats, hip-hop scenes or whatever - I don't care if you're black, white, latino, asian, or martian: I will not tolerate any further use of the N word. I don't care if you're quoting a song or if you're using the term in a sense of camaraderie - I don't want to see it any more. I expect better of everyone here, and using terms like that can make this site "unsafe" for those at work.

This is NOT a subject for debate or discussion.

I return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

Most Dangerous Ohio City

Do we even need to ask? Cleveland is constantly ranked one of the most dangerous cities in the country and always the most dangerous in Ohio. But I always found it funny that one of its largest suburbs (Parma) is consistently ranked one of America's safest.

what are your sources?? compared to Florida cites, Cleveland is nothing in comparison crime wise. It has been a few years since I looked at crime stats, but at the time 2002, Cleveland was not nearly as bad as many other cities its size, and better than a lot of smaller cities.

Most Dangerous Ohio City

what are your sources?? compared to Florida cites, Cleveland is nothing in comparison crime wise. It has been a few years since I looked at crime stats, but at the time 2002, Cleveland was not nearly as bad as many other cities its size, and better than a lot of smaller cities.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0921299.html

Those crime stats change drastically every single year. The only thing certain is Detroit, Camden, StL, and Atl consistently being near the top of the list.

Those crime stats change drastically every single year. The only thing certain is Detroit, Camden, StL, and Atl consistently being near the top of the list.

I hope so. It's no fun living in the 12th most dangerous city in the country. However, I'm sure that Cleveland is still the most dangerous in the state.

still I do not see this as "one of the most dangerous cities in the country". Further if you look at the whole metro area, I believe Cleveland metro falls out of the top 25.  some may say this isn't fair, but a lot more cities would have higher rankings than they do if further analysis were done on city boundaries. With the exception of some small "suburban" type neighborhoods in Cleveland such as west park, the whole of Cleveland is urban in character. go to a place like Tampa, San Antonio, San Diego, w. palm (and many  more) and you will have very suburban strongvillian types gated hoods and walmarts with a "city" address and in corp limits. So you think these city centers are safer than they really are b/c the crime is being diluted by suburban type neighborhoods. So to get a more accurate picture you really need to look at the metro area.  and for the record me thinks Parma is sooo much scarier than Cleveland but that is a whole other thread.

Sure, let me take a walk tonight in my neighborhood (Edgewater) and see how it compares to the time I took a walk in Cincinnati's Over-the-Rhine. I'm sure the likelihood of being a crime victim is about the same for either :roll: Honestly folks, statistics only tell so much - most of the more-serious crimes are drug/gang-related and limited (fortunately or unfortunately) to certain areas of the city.

still I do not see this as "one of the most dangerous cities in the country". Further if you look at the whole metro area, I believe Cleveland metro falls out of the top 25.  some may say this isn't fair, but a lot more cities would have higher rankings than they do if further analysis were done on city boundaries. With the exception of some small "suburban" type neighborhoods in Cleveland such as west park, the whole of Cleveland is urban in character. go to a place like Tampa, San Antonio, San Diego, w. palm (and many  more) and you will have very suburban strongvillian types gated hoods and walmarts with a "city" address and in corp limits. So you think these city centers are safer than they really are b/c the crime is being diluted by suburban type neighborhoods. So to get a more accurate picture you really need to look at the metro area.  and for the record me thinks Parma is sooo much scarier than Cleveland but that is a whole other thread.

Detroit has some of the most prestigious suburbs in the country but because the crime in the city is so bad, when you consider the metro as a whole, it's still ranked as one of the worst crime ridden metros in the country. Every city has good and bad neighborhoods; it depends entirely on what neighborhood you live in. In Cincinnati you could be in Madisonville, get robbed, but walk 30 feet ahead and you're in Mariemont, one of the richest neighborhoods with one of the best highschools schools in the nation. I think that's why MayDay is saying those statistics only say so much.

Madisonville is not that bad, folks.  It's more depressed than anything else.  The only place that robbings would happen more frequently in Cincinnati are the basin neighborhoods and MAYBE the Uptown ones (strong lean on Evanston and Avondale).

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

The land has to lead the state in auto thefts. Anybody know if they do? Check this out, one time I was leaving a Mcdonalds on Euclid Ave and as I walk out I see 2 cars box in someone stopped at a red light and they jacked that person so easily. There was 3 guys and that 3rd one needed a ride and sure got it. Never heard or seen of the cops either. CPD is to scared to patroll our east side streets at night. I see em constantly on the Southside though in Old Brooklyn...

Madisonville is not that bad, folks.  It's more depressed than anything else.  The only place that robbings would happen more frequently in Cincinnati are the basin neighborhoods and MAYBE the Uptown ones (strong lean on Evanston and Avondale).

Yeah, I've never understood the fear of Madisonville...a depressed area, low home values, Section 8, but for me, I measure "danger" by how often you see crowds of bored-looking attitude-ridden young folks hanging out, looking to peddle their wares...it's way too easy to throw something at a passing car, or aggressively approach a driver stopped at a light, or precipitate any sort of incident, when there's a crowd of folks around.  And not if it's school kids getting out of class on a typical afternoon, or a bunch of folks enjoying a park or something...maybe I'm naive, but that's my basic measure.  And unless I've missed big parts of Madisonville, it doesn't fit the bill anymore than Oakley.

"CPD is to scared to patroll our east side streets at night."

"Our east side streets". Interesting choice of words.

Our city's east side streets. My home and many of my brothas homes (Not family)... You said your from or living in Edgewater right? How is it there at night?

"Cops probaly patroll O.B. because they wanna keep really the only somewhat safe neighborhood in the city safe..."

Yes, lord knows that I have to dodge gunfire while taking my leisurely walks along Edgewater Drive. I really need to "throw my signs" when I go for a drink at Twist - that crowd will rumble at the drop of a hat! In fact, I almost sat on some crackhead when I got my smoothie over Liquid Planet. Check this out - one time I was waiting for my bus on Clifton and I saw three cars run the red light on Clifton during rush hour! Them sure is some rough streets over here in the E-Dub! West siiiiiiiiide represent! :roll: Hell to the no! Let's raise the roof! :-P

Like any other place in any other urban area at night, you have to have your guard up no matter if you're walking on East 105th or Edgewater. 

"My home and many of my brothas homes (Not family)"

Yes. I'm well aware of the meaning of the term. And I confidently say that I've been MUCH closer to a few men of color than you (unless of course, you have something you'd like to share).

Cops probaly patroll O.B. because they wanna keep really the only somewhat safe neighborhood in the city safe...

There are plenty of "safe" neighborhoods in cleveland.  People are out and about in Shaker Square at all hours of the day.  If nothing the neighborhoood has improved over the last 5 years. 

Granted, just because a neighborhood is "safe" that doesn't mean people from the outside can make it a hell hole.  there are other areas of cleveland that are safe, as well.  I personally, don't feel glenville, Hough or Fairfax are as "bad" as perceived.  But, I don't live in those neighborhoods.  I know atleast 10 snooty, chi-chi, uptight, Boough-shee (lol) people that have moved into that area and they aren't pioneers or the type of people that would move into a developing area.  granted this might be a small portion of that area.  Cleveland is just too big to say, entire neighborhoods are bad.  The there are those people (not anyone here) who make statements about certain neighborhoods without any real knowledge.

Why would anyone want 'praise" the danger level in their neighborhood, unless they were taking a stand against crime?

I praise the dangers of the east side because us blacks represent where we come from. We represent the struggle because we came from it and we know there is people going through it right now. Yes we want them to make it out of that bad situation but we also rep it. Ask a rapper why they praise the dangers in their city. It's a hood thing... If your not from it and are not into hip-hop music, you couldn't understand...

"us blacks represent where we come from."

In certain cases, I see that didn't involve any grammar instruction. Is that a hood thing? :-)

"If your not from it and are not into hip-hop music, you couldn't understand..."

Umm, you are aware that people in the world suffer fates much worse than being raised in the hood, aren't you? Adversity is hardly something unique to your circle.

In certain cases, I see that didn't involve any grammar instruction. Is that a hood thing? :-)

What do you mean?

He means that your words aren't words, brotha.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

"If your not from it and are not into hip-hop music, you couldn't understand..."

Umm, you are aware that people in the world suffer fates much worse than being raised in the hood, aren't you? Adversity is hardly something unique to your circle.

I know that but I'm saying why I praise the dangers on my neighborhood...

I agree. I used to be assigned Fairfax, Central, Mt. Pleasant, woodland hills and Kinsman neighborhood on my job (which included a lot of field work) . Fairfax and central were my favs, and not nearly, as "bad" as people tried to make them out to be. Glenville, while less familiar has some interesting areas as well. To me the only Cleveland hood, I had a hard time finding something nice to say about was Union Miles...had a few cases there and it could be officially "scary" , lots of boarded up houses and people approaching even surrounding car.  Sadly the old houses had gone into disrepair and no business areas I can think of. Now there is a hood on the westside- I am struggling to figure out exactly where as at the time I went there I was an eastsider  then and you know how that goes-we know nothing about what happens on the other side of the river . It was somewhere near 71 and the zoo I think.  it is broad daylight and I am very lost (not a good thing to be in the wrong hood)looking for a residentail address...I look around and I suddenly felt as if I was in Appalachia (yes I have been to W.VA a lot of times) -sagging porches, junk yard dogs, minimally supervised toddlers, very Deliverance looking folks. Well this 350lb + guy steps out in front of the car removed his shirt and shows me the scwaztica (spell check wont pick it up, you know the nazi thing) covering his ENTIRE chest. In my mind I took quick inventory of my ancestry wondering what group he thought I feel into... needless to say I got the f out of there. I am guessing this this was stockyard Fulton hood.  So we do have some doozies. Still nothing beats some of the Tampa hoods I had to go to in my job there. Even worse.

And that's why I believe that education of Black America is so so important these days.  Youth look up to Yung Joc and Young Dro more and know their lyrics moreso than Malcolm X, Nikki Giovanni, and Langston Hughes.

Alas. 

I agree. I used to be assigned Fairfax, Central, Mt. Pleasant, woodland hills and Kinsman neighborhood on my job (which included a lot of field work) . Fairfax and central were my favs, and not nearly, as "bad" as people tried to make them out to be. Glenville, while less familiar has some interesting areas as well. To me the only Cleveland hood, I had a hard time finding something nice to say about was Union Miles...had a few cases there and it could be officially "scary" , lots of boarded up houses and people approaching even surrounding car.   Sadly the old houses had gone into disrepair and no business areas I can think of. Now there is a hood on the westside- I am struggling to figure out exactly where as at the time I went there I was an eastsider  then and you know how that goes-we know nothing about what happens on the other side of the river . It was somewhere near 71 and the zoo I think.   it is broad daylight and I am very lost (not a good thing to be in the wrong hood)looking for a residentail address...I look around and I suddenly felt as if I was in Appalachia (yes I have been to W.VA a lot of times) -sagging porches, junk yard dogs, minimally supervised toddlers, very Deliverance looking folks. Well this 350lb + guy steps out in front of the car removed his shirt and shows me the scwaztica (spell check wont pick it up, you know the nazi thing) covering his ENTIRE chest. In my mind I took quick inventory of my ancestry wondering what group he thought I feel into... needless to say I got the f out of there. I am guessing this this was stockyard Fulton hood.  So we do have some doozies. Still nothing beats some of the Tampa hoods I had to go to in my job there. Even worse.

From the things your saying that sounds ghetto not hood. Hoods are where you see gangs running the streets, when you hear gun shots every night, when you see a person posted up on a corner selling drugs... A hood is dangerous and ghetto together... Have you seen the land at night? Have you actually walked the streets?. Tampa worse then Cleveland can't possibly be...

I actually use "hood" as an abbreviation for "neighborhood" . I use it for all of Cleveland's neighborhoods, including  with affection, my own.but I digress. I really don't even like the term ghetto either! And YES Tampa has worse neighborhoods in my opinion than Cleveland. The drug trade I think is worse there.

edit: yes I have walked the streets, albiet no more than a a couple blocks, and I avoided some areas at night. Never out late, late night off main streets. (not in my hood either though!)

I am not from "da hood", nor am I into hip hop...but for someone to say I don't understand what goes on there....please.  I DO work in some rough ass areas in this city on the East side of Cleveland.  I work for the fire department as some of you already may know.  We don't JUST fight fires, but we respond to many other types of calls as well whether they be medical, or other emergency(or so perceived by the callers).  I see truly nice, hard working people that deserve much better than the areas they live.  I also see other people that are truly leeches of society, that are able bodied do nothings that cry, bitch, and moan and expect everything for nothing.  I am sorry, but the "struggle" IMO came from people that fought the power back in the day to make changes...that changed laws...that worked hard to make things better for themselves and the people they represented.  Unfortunately I see a lot of people riding on the coat tails of there forefathers but doing nothing to change things for themselves.  There are good and bad people from all different backgrounds, there is no disputing that. 

Sometimes it happens that people may be poor, but is it necessary to be dirty?  Can you be poor and at the same time take care of your belongings, your property, and yourself to the best you can?  Of course!  Does being poor mean you must throw your trash on the ground or out of the car window?  Lets face it, parents need to be parents (I used the word in a plural form because I truly believe there are WAY too many inattentive single parents out there...kids having kids)  We know how babies are made, so don't blast a load and knock a woman up unless you are man enough to be a true FATHER and husband....not a baby daddy.  School is free...yes FREE...Go there, study, get an education, get a job....don't rely on the ole "I can't get a job because of...(insert this or that)"  This thread made me very angry because people seem to be proud of there "dangerous areas"...like it is a badge of honor!!!  A badge of honor is getting educated, getting a job, and being a person that contributes to society.  People need to STOP looking at other people or elsewhere for their own short comings.....when times get tough...suck it up and do something about it.  Dealing, robbing, shooting, beating....those are NOT the answer.....teach..no...POUND it everyday into the brains of your children...BREAK the cycle as a society...not just as an individual.  I could go on and on...I do see it...I have seen plenty of people gunned down..DEAD...it isn't "cool"...it sucks to see dead kids.  I am 37...when I see an 18, 19, 20 year old it makes me sick to think that they didn't HAVE to be that way...they were set into the "mold" the mindset....it is all bullshit people....there is nothing good about it.  We can "brag" about how rough OTR compared to E 105 area is...but does it really matter?  Does the buildings that OTR have make it rougher than E 105 because it is a "different" type hood?  Let's look at the number of murders that every city has each year and brag?  I may be over sensitive or an Ahole for going off like this...but this topic is just SAD.  Coldayman...I think even YOU may agree on this one without bustin my balls(but I won't hold my breath!!  lol)  Will my rant piss people off? maybe...do I care?  NO  I am stating it as I as I see it...as the age old proverbial saying goes..SOMETHING has to change, and it has to come from within for the cycle to break....okay..enough...OUT

I agree. I used to be assigned Fairfax, Central, Mt. Pleasant, woodland hills and Kinsman neighborhood on my job (which included a lot of field work) . Fairfax and central were my favs, and not nearly, as "bad" as people tried to make them out to be. Glenville, while less familiar has some interesting areas as well. To me the only Cleveland hood, I had a hard time finding something nice to say about was Union Miles...had a few cases there and it could be officially "scary" , lots of boarded up houses and people approaching even surrounding car.  Sadly the old houses had gone into disrepair and no business areas I can think of. Now there is a hood on the westside- I am struggling to figure out exactly where as at the time I went there I was an eastsider  then and you know how that goes-we know nothing about what happens on the other side of the river . It was somewhere near 71 and the zoo I think.  it is broad daylight and I am very lost (not a good thing to be in the wrong hood)looking for a residentail address...I look around and I suddenly felt as if I was in Appalachia (yes I have been to W.VA a lot of times) -sagging porches, junk yard dogs, minimally supervised toddlers, very Deliverance looking folks. Well this 350lb + guy steps out in front of the car removed his shirt and shows me the scwaztica (spell check wont pick it up, you know the nazi thing) covering his ENTIRE chest. In my mind I took quick inventory of my ancestry wondering what group he thought I feel into... needless to say I got the f out of there. I am guessing this this was stockyard Fulton hood.  So we do have some doozies. Still nothing beats some of the Tampa hoods I had to go to in my job there. Even worse.

From the things your saying that sounds ghetto not hood. Hoods are where you see gangs running the streets, when you hear gun shots every night, when you see a person posted up on a corner selling drugs... A hood is dangerous and ghetto together... Have you seen the land at night? Have you actually walked the streets?. Tampa worse then Cleveland can't possibly be...

I think Tampa, ATL, MIA, Houston, DC, BMORE, D-twat, OAK, St. Louis, NoLa are a HELL of alot WORSE than clevleand.

I would walkdown wade park, hough or superior or down woodland holding my boyfriends hand any night...BEFORE I would walk down Biscayne in Miami...down Polk in Houston...fulton Street/Spring Street in ATL.......anything past the eastern market in SE DC...outside of the French Qt (pre katrina) in Nola....anywhere in.....and I'm a 6'4" "soldier" my brotha.  but i aint no fool!!