Sign in to follow this  
Guest punch

Cleveland: Global Center for Health Innovation & Convention Center

I've just heard something AMAZING from a source at the city. The source says that representatives for the Medical Mart have grown tired of dealing with the Ratners for the Tower City Center site.

So apparently the old convention center site is back in play! I consider this to be wonderful news.

Also, the source said they are dusting off old plans for the North Coast Transportation Center for Amtrak, the Waterfront Line, bus services and pedestrian accessways to North Coast Harbor.

So I dusted off my old images of the North Coast Transportation Center....

NorthCoastTransportationCenter-s.jpg

And of course here's a rendering of the rebuilt convention center with a hotel (medical mart) at the left side where the current county administrative offices are located:

MallConventionCenter.jpg

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

This is super good news.  Great pick-me-up after the last couple of weeks.  That second picture is a nice modern take on the mall concept, although bigger edgier towers would help it.

That is GREAT NEWS!! As much of a roller coaster ride this has been, I'm gonna wait to pop the bottles until an official release comes out.

And you should. The Ratners could always beg to the Medical Mart folks to come back to them and resume negotiations. But that's not the Ratner's MO.

I posted some more images at:

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,2068.msg339626.html#msg339626

I'm not getting excited about this until I see construction cranes.

My heart has been toyed with too much. It's stone cold now. :)

That's called maturity. Just be sure to hold on to the good parts of being young.  8-)

That's called maturity. Just be sure to hold on to the good parts of being young.  8)

LOL .. no. I think it's called scorn.

....and you whippersnappers say that, as if its a bad thing!

fantastic...even as off the record!

ha -- once they got to know the players better (make that the 'playas'), the med mart folks finally came to their senses.

Here's what PB's NCTC report from 1998 said about a linkage with a rebuilt convention center (cross-posted from the Cleveland Convention Center thread -- each of these is about 1mb):

http://members.cox.net/neotrans2/NCTC-convctr1.pdf

http://members.cox.net/neotrans2/NCTC-convctr2.pdf

http://members.cox.net/neotrans2/NCTC-convctr3.pdf

http://members.cox.net/neotrans2/NCTC-convctr4.pdf

That's called maturity. Just be sure to hold on to the good parts of being young. 8)

It's basically a life motto for you, isn't it?

That's called maturity. Just be sure to hold on to the good parts of being young.  8)

It's basically a life motto for you, isn't it?

HushHushApril.png

PB?? NCTC??

Parsons Brinckerhoff.

North Coast Transportation Center.

I've just heard something AMAZING from a source at the city. The source says that representatives for the Medical Mart have grown tired of dealing with the Ratners for the Tower City Center site.

So apparently the old convention center site is back in play! I consider this to be wonderful news.

Also, the source said they are dusting off old plans for the North Coast Transportation Center for Amtrak, the Waterfront Line, bus services and pedestrian accessways to North Coast Harbor.

So I dusted off my old images of the North Coast Transportation Center....

This is GREAT news.  :banger:  :clap: The NCTC would be an outstanding development generator for downtown.  Who knows, it might also dial up the pressure for the Waterfront line extension. 

Besides, our Amtrak station is nothing but a glorified bus station.  A classy station would sure help for when the 2-C/3-C gets going.

wow i am very happy. i was never really negative toward the tower city option, as regardless it was still going to be an overall benefit for the city.. but this is simply MUCH nicer of a concept.

could you imagine the design issues you have to deal with if a new/bigger amtrak is to be built? i mean.. for one to replace tower city as the place you arrive into cleveland by train is a pretty big deal.  interesting design issue.

anways.. i think that the impact of a center under the mall is going to attract much more attention to the expansion, as well as opening up an even more forward thinking image for the lakefront.

can't wait to see how this one unfolds!

Hopefully it's unfolding the way the source says it is. Hopefully it will continue to unfold that way.

While I'm by no means holding my breath on this, it is definitly a positive thing that some of the powers to be are at least considering the mall site still.

I'd love to see the NCTC plan looked at again, though realistically some things might be worth looking at again. Its a beautiful plan, but it's a decade old and could use a little updating to integrate some of its changes with the city's lakefront plan, and some of the changes that have happened in the last decade. One big example of a change would be the big hotel proposed for 9th street in that plan (visible in the rendering KJP posted) probably wouldn't be needed if we're putting a huge new hotel where the county administrative offices are now. Of course, there's probably a NCTC plan thread around here somewhere so I'll stop now.

Assuming this were to go through, where would the county offices end up?  Could they be the anchor tenant to another big roject?  Obviously they'd have to move out before work could begin at their current site, and I doubt they'd want to move twice.  That means something permanent for them would have to get going pretty quickly.

I'm suprised that you guys are happy about this rumor.  I understand that the Tower City site might not be the best one, but considering Cleveland has just lost National City, Eaton and now, for a while at least, the Flats, I just can't celebrate another project's being delayed.

I mean, what if this is the impetus to our losing the Med Mart completely.  That would be just heartbreaking.

I'm suprised that you guys are happy about this rumor.  I understand that the Tower City site might not be the best one, but considering Cleveland has just lost National City, Eaton and now, for a while at least, the Flats, I just can't celebrate another project's being delayed.

I mean, what if this is the impetus to our losing the Med Mart completely.  That would be just heartbreaking.

Cleveland has not lost Eaton and I'm sure that the EF project will move forward, there is just too much money invested in the infrastructure.  Lastly, we do not know the implications of NCC yet.

So relax.  This project has been delayed in my eyes, but if delaying it to place it in the PROPER PLACE for this generation and the next, then I'm ok with that.

What has happened to the timeline on the medmart?  Has it been put on hold until after the election is out of the way?  I know they were supposed to pick a site a while ago and that was allowed to lapse, but have they put together anything?

With a half a billion dollars of secured finance on the table, Med Mart is not leaving. Why would they want to be housed in a antiquated building when they can have one built to spec? Let the county move their offices into it. The county can secure the Mall Site for a hell of a lot less then 40M. The City should give it up for some parking and tax revenue not to mention what it would cost the City in rehabilitation and maintenance. I see a glimmer of hope for greater downtown area. Maybe another class A hotel,mmmmm  :))))

What has happened to the timeline on the medmart? Has it been put on hold until after the election is out of the way? I know they were supposed to pick a site a while ago and that was allowed to lapse, but have they put together anything?

This is what I wrote about earlier. The Medical Mart representatives haven't been able to reach an agreement with Forest City Enterprises/Ratners -- thus the delay. Their frustration, according to two sources, has led the Med Mart to the old convention center site. FCE/Ratners may come back to the Med Mart folks with a sweetened offer for locating at Tower City. And then again they may not......

A little bit more:  Apparently the folks at the Medical Mart were never that excited about locating at Tower City, according to a third source with the city. Med Mart reps seem to want a build-to-suit structure with special-sized floor plates and technology galore, not to retrofit an old department store.

A little bit more: Apparently the folks at the Medical Mart were never that excited about locating at Tower City, according to a third source with the city. Med Mart reps seem to want a build-to-suit structure with special-sized floor plates and technology galore, not to retrofit an old department store.

Great info.  I don't blame Med Mart for seeing it as they do... it isn't clear to me why the TC plan was ever seriously considered.  Square peg in a very oblong, narrow hole.  FCE needs to keep pursuing department store operators for their department store space.  As downtown residential keeps growing, they'll find one.