Sign in to follow this  
Guest David

In The World: Israel

wow, it's amazing, isn't it, how wrong all the polls and "reporting" were. I mean, it's not like the lamestream American media wanted Netanyahu to lose, is it?  :roll:

Admit it..... You copied this post straight from Sarah Palin's Twitter feed

wow, it's amazing, isn't it, how wrong all the polls and "reporting" were. I mean, it's not like the lamestream American media wanted Netanyahu to lose, is it?  :roll:

Admit it..... You copied this post straight from Sarah Palin's Twitter feed

okay, you got me! I don't have any original thoughts, but it's good to hear you're still apparently keeping up with her pearls of wisdom :-)

^unfortunately most anti-Semitism in America today comes from college students, especially at elite, predominately left-wing campuses. These schools have become such cesspools of political correctness, which seems by its very nature to be anti-Semitic, based in all this nonsensical knee-jerk jargon about Israel being an "apartheid state," etc. These people claim to make a distinction between anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism, but since Israel has historically been a Jewish state, this sort of double talk is just a smokescreen for plain, unbridled hatred.

If apartheid is an inaccurate term, by all means please give us something that more aptly defines what's going on there. It's quite lazy to label all criticism lobbed at Israel as being anti-semitic, particularly when it's coming from Jews who happen to remember or are at least aware of how they (as a group) have been treated in the past.

yes, I suppose it's true that all criticism of Israel is not anti-Semitic, but the fate of Jews and the state of Israel are inextricably linked; also, how do you make accommodations (or simple negotiate) with a people (Palestinians, who are of course simply Arabs) who have vowed over and over to wipe you off the face of the map, denying that you even have a right to exist. It seems you're labeling the wrong group of people as having an "apartheid" mentality.

yes, I suppose it's true that all criticism of Israel is not anti-Semitic, but the fate of Jews and the state of Israel are inextricably linked; also, how do you make accommodations (or simple negotiate) with a people (Palestinians, who are of course simply Arabs) who have vowed over and over to wipe you off the face of the map, denying that you even have a right to exist. It seems you're labeling the wrong group of people as having an "apartheid" mentality.

A) So you're implying that Judaism or the Jews, as a people (who according to your logic are really just Europeans), cannot survive without the existence of a home state? Even though no one is arguing that Israel should not exist, that premise is a bit silly.

B) How are the Palestinians supposed to respond to a people that are also trying to wipe them off the map by continuously expanding their territory and preventing Palestinians from controlling their destiny? See, this argument can be made to sound simplistic and circular from both sides. At this point, neither side is behaving appropriately, and the adults in the room from the international community are doing a disservice by not stepping in and coming up with a fair solution once and for all. Give the Palestinians their state and hold them accountable for the responsibilities that come with sitting at the big boys table. To say that they don't deserve a chance because of how some of them are acting is completely unfair.

If you put a hungry dog on a chain and keep it outside 24/7, don't get made at the dog if it barks all night and nips at you when you walk by.

Hindsight is 20/20, what I'm about to say is mildly offensive and does not pose any solution whatsoever to the current situation. But I always thought the whole thing was a bad idea and if I could go back to 1948 I would tell the Jews to come to the real Zion,  the USA, the Zions of Brooklyn or Beachwood or Bexley. Is a symbolic piece of desert worth decades of war?

Now I fear there is just too much resentment on both sides for them to agree on peace. It's like a bad relationship... At a certain point it's unfixable, and so you just break up and cut off all contact. Unfortunately, it's a lot harder to cut ties when you bought a house together.

I don't know what the answers are besides time and education and integration, but I'm not holding my breath for peace any time soon.

Hindsight is 20/20, what I'm about to say is mildly offensive and does not pose any solution whatsoever to the current situation. But I always thought the whole thing was a bad idea and if I could go back to 1948 I would tell the Jews to come to the real Zion,  the USA, the Zions of Brooklyn or Beachwood or Bexley. Is a symbolic piece of desert worth decades of war?

Basically, yes.  The Jewish people have been in a sort of diaspora over the centuries from place to place but they are at heart an insular people to whom having a homeland meant a lot.  Placing it in lands of extreme historical importance to them made it moreso.

Ironically, they have a dual homeland of sorts, Israel and the USA.  If a Jew goes to Israel and it's too Jewish, or sometimes even if it's not Jewish enough (which, by Orthodox standards, it often isn't), they typically end up here.

The fate of Israelis and Israel are inextricably linked, not Jews generally speaking.  There are more Jews here in the Usa than there are in Israel..... A lot more if you are classifying Jewish as an ethnicity regardless of whether the individual practices the religion or fullfilled any rights of passages..... or if you don't meet some odd requirement like your mother having to be Jewish.  And Israel itself is home to plenty of non-Jews who are just as 'Israeli' as their Jewish countrymen, in fact non-Jews will likely exceed Jews in Israel in the not too distant future

I just took a look at Israel's demographics and population growth... WOW! They have some of the highest birthrates in the developed world. In 1900, barely any Jews lived in the area that would become Israel. 3 million Jews immigrated there in the past 100 years, and they have procreated it up to 6 million. According to wikipedia, their 2008 census had them at 7.4 million people total in the State of Israel, but estimated 2014 population is 8.2 million.

Genesis 1:28 "Be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth..."

I just took a look at Israel's demographics and population growth... WOW! They have some of the highest birthrates in the developed world. In 1900, barely any Jews lived in the area that would become Israel. 3 million Jews immigrated there in the past 100 years, and they have procreated it up to 6 million. According to wikipedia, their 2008 census had them at 7.4 million people total in the State of Israel, but estimated 2014 population is 8.2 million.

Genesis 1:28 "Be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth..."

EDIT: Also Exodus 23:31 "I will give into your hands the people who live in the land, and you will drive them out before you..."

The Orthodox have a much higher birthrate as well.

This is refreshing. Maybe some more world leaders will similarly develop a backbone--

British leader Theresa May breaks with John Kerry’s condemnation of Israel

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/britains-leaderbreaks-with-kerrys-condemnation-of-israel/2016/12/30/33371564-ce97-11e6-a87f-b917067331bb_story.html?utm_term=.720f53dd5722

This is refreshing. Maybe some more world leaders will similarly develop a backbone--

British leader Theresa May breaks with John Kerry’s condemnation of Israel

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/britains-leaderbreaks-with-kerrys-condemnation-of-israel/2016/12/30/33371564-ce97-11e6-a87f-b917067331bb_story.html?utm_term=.720f53dd5722

Strange considering what she said just a few weeks earlier, which was much more on point:

[it is important to be] “honest with our friends, like Israel, because that is what true friendship is about. That is why [britain] has been clear about building new, illegal settlements: it is wrong; it is not conducive to peace; and it must stop.”

It's mostly irrelevant, though, because Britain isn't giving Israel billions a year. We need more leaders in this country that realize the need for "honesty" with Israel. And politicians who aren't afraid of upsetting AIPAC by telling it like it is.

Watch how Israelis attacked Palestinian worshippers when they entered Al Aqsa Mosque yesterday. Barbaric...

https://t.co/G9b3A2jesb

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Watch how Israelis attacked Palestinian worshippers when they entered Al Aqsa Mosque yesterday. Barbaric...

https://t.co/G9b3A2jesb

Oh KJP, as usual you don't tell the whole story. Here is an article on the situation in Israel.

Clashes, tensions flare at sacred site in Jerusalem

https://apnews.com/bc318df0d46244868ffd062cf85d74bd/Clashes-erupt-at-Jerusalem-shrine-as-Muslims-return-to-pray

Anyone else ever read "The Sum of All Fears"?

Clancy was virtually a prophet in major ways (use of a jetliner as a weapon) and minor (his first Soviet villain was named "Putin").  If the Palestinians ever tried what he suggested at the Haram al Sharif mosques, he could be again.

King Abdullah is no anti-Israel extremist.  Jordan and Israel are strategic allies.

Israel’s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, has been named as a suspect in two investigations into allegations of “fraud, breach of trust and bribes” with his former chief of staff signing a deal with prosecutors to testify against him:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/04/benjamin-netanyahu-suspect-fraud-investigation-israel-police

Opinion piece from the Jerusalem Post:

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Is-this-the-end-for-Netanyahu-501669

Israel’s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, has been named as a suspect in two investigations into allegations of “fraud, breach of trust and bribes” with his former chief of staff signing a deal with prosecutors to testify against him:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/04/benjamin-netanyahu-suspect-fraud-investigation-israel-police

Opinion piece from the Jerusalem Post:

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Is-this-the-end-for-Netanyahu-501669

That's pretty much how it is there, it's commonplace.

Yitzhak Rabin's government was full of it, one key person even got busted later on in Romania.  He's seen as a martyr so that ended that.  Others have been similar

Israel begins telling African migrants to leave

CLZxQpkUEAARvmo.jpg

Israel began warning thousands of African migrants Sunday that they must leave by the end of March, officials said, under a plan that could see them jailed if they refuse.

On January 3, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced implementation of a plan to deport about 38,000 migrants who had entered the country illegally, mainly Eritreans and Sudanese.

The controversial plan gives them until the end of next month to leave voluntarily or face jail and eventual expulsion.

Immigration authority spokeswoman Sabine Haddad told AFP that officials began issuing migrants letters on Sunday advising them that they had 60 days in which to leave the country voluntarily.

For now, the notices are being given only to men without families, officials said.

More below:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/israel-begins-telling-african-migrants-to-leave/ar-BBIGwtY

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

African asylum seekers told to leave Israel within 60 days

The Interior Ministry on Sunday issued thousands of deportation notices to single Eritrean and Sudanese men of working age, demanding that they leave Israel within 60 days for an unspecified third country, or be forcefully removed or imprisoned.

However, noting already overcrowded prison conditions, an unidentified senior Israel Prison Service official told the National Security Council that the nation will not be able to house more than 1,000 additional inmates due to a lack of space and funding.

More below:

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/African-asylum-seekers-told-to-leave-Israel-within-60-days-540657

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Israel corruption scandal: Benjamin Netanyahu defiant over growing calls for him to step down

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has remained defiant in the face of a long-awaited police recommendation that he be charged with corruption, an announcement that threatens to end his political career.

After an investigation lasting more than a year, police said on Tuesday night that the leader should face charges over allegedly receiving lavish and “inappropriate” gifts from wealthy supporters and the reported bribing of a newspaper publisher for favourable coverage.

MORE: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israel-corruption-scandal-benjamin-netanyahu-latest-updates-prime-minister-police-charges-resign-a8210646.html

BREAKING: The number of Palestinians killed today in Gaza has now increased to 58 - that includes children, women, the disabled, and a paramedic.

A total of 2,771 wounded, including 12 journalists and 17 paramedics - with over 1,000 of them being shot.

I'm done for today. I've watched/studied hundreds of photos & videos of the worst carnage imaginable.

What Israel did today was not just wrong, it was evil and criminal and violates international law and norms.

Husbands, fathers, sons, wives, mothers, & daughters -slaughtered.

Israel was essentially staving off an invasion. From the images I saw, Palestinians appeared to be storming the border, setting fires, hurling bombs over the wall, etc. A novice, ill-prepared force attacking an easily defensible position is typically going to encounter heavy loses.

Israel was essentially staving off an invasion. From the images I saw, Palestinians appeared to be storming the border, setting fires, hurling bombs over the wall, etc. A novice, ill-prepared force attacking an easily defensible position is typically going to encounter heavy loses.

"Storming the border" -- and yet no Palestinians were killed on the Israeli side of the fence, and no Israelis have been injured or killed.  So the large numbers of killed and injured on the Palestinian side seems to be the result of inappropriate application of that overwhelming force superiority that Israel has. 

Additionally, a "border" implies that there is a Palestinian state, capable of maintaining law and order, issuing passports, controlling passage through the border, etc.  That's not the case.  Gaza and the West Bank have more similarities to a penal colony or a prison camp than it does to a country.  That "border" is a prison fence. 

No doubt, there are bad apples in Gaza and the West Bank.  The current Israeli government policy seems to be to keep pushing the Palestinians into smaller and smaller areas, killing large numbers whenever any of them misbehave.  In other words, Israel punishes the entire population for those criminals' actions, and that is a war crime.

The Palestinians have had the Israeli boot on their necks for at least a generation -- can you imagine how the Israelis or Americans would behave in a similar situation? 

BREAKING: The number of Palestinians killed today in Gaza has now increased to 58 - that includes children, women, the disabled, and a paramedic.

A total of 2,771 wounded, including 12 journalists and 17 paramedics - with over 1,000 of them being shot.

I'm done for today. I've watched/studied hundreds of photos & videos of the worst carnage imaginable.

What Israel did today was not just wrong, it was evil and criminal and violates international law and norms.

Let's also not forget to point the finger at the Gaza leadership in Hamas. They used these people as tools and props for media attention and sent them out to be slaughtered. They were used as human propaganda tools.

Note how the activity in Gaza which is situated away from Jerusalem yet governed by a terrorist organization yet the West Bank, which touches Jerusalem and has more moderate leadership,  was pretty quiet yesterday

Shaun King is a completely unreliable source.  The man can't even be honest about his racial background.

Hamas stirred these people up wanting exactly this.  I wouldn't be surprised if some Israeli ultranationalists stirred the pot on their side as well.

Shaun King is a completely unreliable source.   The man can't even be honest about his racial background.

Hamas stirred these people up wanting exactly this.  I wouldn't be surprised if some Israeli ultranationalists stirred the pot on their side as well.

So you "wouldn't be surprised" despite providing zero sources or evidence?  But you're upset at KJP's source?  LOL k.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/14/middleeast/gaza-protests-intl/index.html

At least 58 Palestinians died, according to the Palestinian Health Ministry, during protests over the Trump administration's controversial relocation of the Embassy from Tel Aviv, a move that has been praised by Israelis but has enraged Palestinians.

Very Stable Genius

It turns out at least 50 of those killed in Gaza were Hamas members, according to Hamas:

https://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/50-Hamas-members-reportedly-killed-during-Mondays-Gaza-protests-556627

50 members of the Hamas terror organization were among those killed in protests along the Gaza border on Monday, a Hamas spokesperson reportedly said on TV Wednesday...

The IDF accuses Hamas of using the protests as cover to carry out terrorist attacks. On Sunday, it said it had identified protesters’ intentions to burn engineering tools belonging to the army, damage security infrastructures on the fence, including pillboxes, as well as attempts to kidnap soldiers under the guise of the protests.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu addressed the violence saying that “every nation has the right to defend its borders. Hamas clearly says its intentions are to destroy Israel and sends thousands to break through the border for that end. We will continue to act with resolve to defend our sovereignty and our citizens.”

Where terrorism comes from...

Israeli soldier filmed killing wounded Palestinian attacker says he 'has no regrets'

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israel-elor-azaria-defence-forces-soldier-killing-wounded-palestinian-no-regrets-hebron-a8513591.html

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/28/middleeast/israel-benjamin-netanyahu-indictment-intl/index.html

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu will be indicted on bribery and breach of trust charges arising from three separate corruption investigations, pending a hearing, Israel's attorney general announced Thursday evening.

Very Stable Genius

23 hours ago, DarkandStormy said:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/28/middleeast/israel-benjamin-netanyahu-indictment-intl/index.html

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu will be indicted on bribery and breach of trust charges arising from three separate corruption investigations, pending a hearing, Israel's attorney general announced Thursday evening.

"Israeli leader refers to prosecution as 'witch hunt'"

🤔  hmm, that sounds familiar

Why exactly should anyone care what Juan Cole has to say about anything?  He's basically the poster child for the Islamist-apologist takeover of all major academic departments related to Middle East studies.

https://www.hachettebookgroup.com/titles/juan-cole/muhammad/9781568587837/

"In the midst of the dramatic seventh-century war between two empires, Muhammad was a spiritual seeker in search of community and sanctuary."

Basically, Juan Cole would take the Palestinian side even if they obtained rogue nuclear weapons and wiped Israel off the map.  The world would do a stop-motion double-take on its axis if he ever said a single good thing about Israel.  He's comfortably ensconced in his tenure at UM and will spend the rest of his career there castigating Israel and enjoying the benefits of having chosen a civilized target that doesn't treat its detractors like Salman Rushdie or Ayaan Hirsi Ali ... unlike the religion he favors with the political cover of his activism-academia.

14 hours ago, Gramarye said:

Why exactly should anyone care what Juan Cole has to say about anything?  He's basically the poster child for the Islamist-apologist takeover of all major academic departments related to Middle East studies.

https://www.hachettebookgroup.com/titles/juan-cole/muhammad/9781568587837/

"In the midst of the dramatic seventh-century war between two empires, Muhammad was a spiritual seeker in search of community and sanctuary."

Basically, Juan Cole would take the Palestinian side even if they obtained rogue nuclear weapons and wiped Israel off the map.  The world would do a stop-motion double-take on its axis if he ever said a single good thing about Israel.  He's comfortably ensconced in his tenure at UM and will spend the rest of his career there castigating Israel and enjoying the benefits of having chosen a civilized target that doesn't treat its detractors like Salman Rushdie or Ayaan Hirsi Ali ... unlike the religion he favors with the political cover of his activism-academia.

The proposition being made was that Israel's occupation of the Golan Heights may strengthen Russian and Iranian influence in the Middle East.

Your position that the person making that statement is someone you dislike (a Jewish scholar of Middle East studies who wrote a book about Islam that is not anti-Islam) is not a valid reason to discount the proposition.  Rather, if an ad hominem attack is your best argument that tends to reinforce rather than discount the proposition.