Sign in to follow this  
Guest David

In The World: Israel

Israeli Army T-Shirts Mock Gaza Killings

3:45pm UK, Friday March 20, 2009

Dominic Waghorn, Middle East correspondent

The revelations centre on t-shirt designs made for soldiers that make light of shooting pregnant Palestinian mothers and children and include images of dead babies and destroyed mosques.

The t-shirts were printed for Israeli soldiers at the end of periods of deployment or training courses and were discovered by Israeli newspaper Haaretz.

More below

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Israeli-Army-T-Shirts-Mock-Killing-Palestinian-Women-And-Children-During-Gaza-Offensive/Article/200903315245946?lpos=World_News_First_World_News_Feature_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15245946_Israeli_Army_T-Shirts_Mock_Killing_Palestinian_Women_And_Children_During_Gaza_Offensive

15245916.jpg

Two wrongs don't make a right, but this is more indicative of the fact that tensions on both sides are rising to critical levels. The t-shirts are atrocious, but as Cincinnatus has indicated, similar atrocities are on both sides.

This just makes me sad. When you see things like that, it makes me wonder if you can ever get any kind of healing.

I forgot that atrocity is the noun form of atrocious.  Both sides in this believe the other to be inhuman.  I don't know how to fix that.  I hope our troops don't have shirts like this.

Sadly, Israel has had the most luck with a "hit 'em hard" strategy.  Their neighbors talk real tough, but when Israel really lays the wood into them, they back off.  For instance, take the Lebanon situation a couple years back.  While it seemed Hamas would not back down, Israel beat them up bad enough that it became too painful for Hamas to stand strong on the border.

Proportional responses have not worked.  I am afraid that has been ingrained in the minds of the the Israeli soldiers.

This area is a powder keg and it is not a question of if it will outright explode, it is a question of when.

Explosion is not inevitable.  Just because I can't think of a solution right now doesn't mean there isn't one.  We're talking about potential armageddon here, so we'd better come up with something. 

I would not expect proportional responses to work when the scenario is so disproportionate overall.  I can't think of many people who would accept being on the bottom of the current arrangement.  So the arrangement needs to stop having a bottom.  I think that's the only way forward.

Explosion is not inevitable. Just because I can't think of a solution right now doesn't mean there isn't one. We're talking about potential armageddon here, so we'd better come up with something.

I would not expect proportional responses to work when the scenario is so disproportionate overall. I can't think of many people who would accept being on the bottom of the current arrangement. So the arrangement needs to stop having a bottom. I think that's the only way forward.

^Well said, 327. Indeed, people keep calling for 'Peace'; but there is no peace, and can never be peace, until there is justice.

when i see that all i can think of is that the real sickness here is that our tax money pays for a huuuuge chunk of israel's welfare army. isn't that just great?

when i see that all i can think of is that the real sickness here is that our tax money pays for a huuuuge chunk of israel's welfare army. isn't that just great?

Bingo.  Both sides do some very inhumane and outrageous things.  So why are we taking sides?

Explosion is not inevitable. Just because I can't think of a solution right now doesn't mean there isn't one. We're talking about potential armageddon here, so we'd better come up with something.

I would not expect proportional responses to work when the scenario is so disproportionate overall. I can't think of many people who would accept being on the bottom of the current arrangement. So the arrangement needs to stop having a bottom. I think that's the only way forward.

^Well said, 327. Indeed, people keep calling for 'Peace'; but there is no peace, and can never be peace, until there is justice.

I agree. There will never be peace in the middle east. Everyone can try all the peace treaties and negotiations they want but its never going to happen.

I havent seen anything like this with any of our troops yet

^Back in early 2004, I saw a guy back home at Easter-time who I knew was in the military wearing a t-shirt that had a silouhette(?) of a guy riding a camel in a cross-hairs that said "Spring Break: Iraq," followed by something I found funny (at the time) that I can't remember. I don't doubt that our guys have shirts that skirt the lines of decency, but I hope they aren't as disgusting as the ones described above.

Dehumanizing your enemy makes it easier to brutalize and kill them. Sadly, this is nothing new.

Of all people I just knew you would be able to find the lighthearted humor in something so tragic. Jeffery Dahmer must have been a laugh-riot! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Any time humans start taking stands against other humans, rather than against specific ideas or problems-- prepare to die.

Now which gang are we talking about here, the Israelis or the Palestinians?

Maybe I'm missing something here...since I can't see the YouTube video eastvillagedon posted at work (they block youtube.com).  I just didn't understand how the conversation turned into a picture of a child dressed up as a gun-toting gang member.

I'll just requote myself to clear up my stance:

"Bingo.  Both sides do some very inhumane and outrageous things.  So why are we taking sides?"

How about starting with the "gang" engaging in child abuse?

Again, which one?  I can think of ways both sides engage in that.

Maybe I'm missing something here...since I can't see the YouTube video eastvillagedon posted at work (they block youtube.com).  I just didn't understand how the conversation turned into a picture of a child dressed up as a gun-toting gang member.

I'll just requote myself to clear up my stance:

"Bingo.  Both sides do some very inhumane and outrageous things.  So why are we taking sides?"

they block youtube at work? You must resign at once! lol

my post (which I assume you'll see when you get home or in some other setting) shows how Hamas indoctrinates toddlers into ruthless, bloodthirsty terrorists, and how the UN (soooo concerned with children) does nothing to condemn this practice; which of course reflects their anti-Israel prejudice--not that it hasn't been obvious for decades. As tasteless as the Israeli t-shirts were, they've got a long way to go to catch up to the hateful propaganda machine that's characterized Palestinian policy for generations.

Granted, but what is the title of this thread?  And isn't compulsory military service an issue for both sides?  And it's not like kids that age are being marched into some trench line by either side.  I would bet that kid has a gun for homeland defense, not for deployment.  (I can't watch the video either)  Both sides have demonstrated ruthless and bloodthirsty tendencies.  Unfortunately that's to be expected, given the situation they're in together.

when i see those disgusting shots of palestinian kids used as pawns like that i just wonder what the name of the street they live on was before it was re-named ben gurion blvd.

when i see those disgusting shots of palestinian kids used as pawns like that i just wonder what the name of the street they live on was before it was re-named ben gurion blvd.

sand, mud, and wagon wheel ruts do not a street make.