Guest Summit Street

Columbus: Milo-Grogan Developments and News

1 minute ago, TH3BUDDHA said:

This article was frustrating to read.  I can't believe the city is worried about more parking.  If Rogue says it can work without the parking, give them their damn variance.

Only throwing out Austin as an alternative city seems like too much of a coincidence, though.  Trying to bring up bad memories to make the city give them what they want?

Let's hope that's what they're going for!

2 minutes ago, Zyrokai said:

After reading the article in full, it's completely ridiculous. This will 100% be the city's fault if it's lost.  the setback requirement is also laughable as well as the "large volumes of pedestrians" crap.

I feel like this stuff as a whole will continue to hold Columbus back unless something major happens.

Is the factory running 24 hours a day? Pretty sure they could just have people park there most of the time and shuttle them over or people can walk. 

51 minutes ago, TH3BUDDHA said:

I imagine there are too many people invested in the auto industry that are causing this stuff to be held back.  If you start building developments with no parking, people will need public transit and this will hurt their bottom line.  Central Ohio benefits from the Japanese auto industry.  Obviously the Honda plant, but I know some Japanese auto tech companies have brought their Amercian HQ to Dublin.  Maybe I just have my tinfoil hat on, though.

I don't think the Japanese auto industry lobbies politicians and the government in the way the American car companies do. In the past, though, the Big 3 have caused a lot of trouble for Ohio cities by lobbying the state and federal governments.

On the one hand, if Rogue is willing to have limited to no parking, that's up to them and how it affects their business. 

On the other hand, I really don't think it is terribly unreasonable for the city to demand a details off site parking plan and ride share plan before approving a variance. And perhaps I missed it but I didn't catch that rogue was going to build an off site deck. Just that parking will be available off site but no specification of where. If they were willing to build a garage, surely they could find the space on site to accommodate some sort of garage or nearby and specify the location. But again, they need to pony up the details instead of trying to call bluffs.  

And in this case, unlike a local team, I can see where there is a parking concern as many of the proposed events outline are not events the community is walking to but rather driving from other cities, hotels, etc. 

Edit: I will add that I wish other major event venues planned ride share factors better like airports.  Designate an area and that where everyone meets their cars, buses in another, etc. 

Edited by DTCL11
  • Like 2

^^^Piggybacking of this.... Do you guys think Rouge will come back with some kind of a plan? I'm really bad at reading between lines sand I can't tell if they've already given up and are looking elsewhere or if they're going to try to give a plan to the city first. 

34 minutes ago, Zyrokai said:

^^^Piggybacking of this.... Do you guys think Rouge will come back with some kind of a plan? I'm really bad at reading between lines sand I can't tell if they've already given up and are looking elsewhere or if they're going to try to give a plan to the city first. 

I think they are throwing spaghetti at a wall and seeing what sticks. I think they truly want an arena and I think it makes great sense for the location but it seems they either were caught off guard on the parking or actually thought they would be granted a variance with little issue. It's all so vague that it's hard to gauge. 

• Like 1

The Austin thing is just so out of left field. I can't think of a reason they would do that. They would have to compete with Texas Power Barbell more, wouldn't they? That's their main competition so maybe it IS smart to move into their territory. Who knows, but I'd think it'd be best to capture markets they're not already big into.

It will be a huge mistake if the city loses an arena, and the tourism dollars associated, over parking minimums. Just one more clear example of parking minimums holding Columbus back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ted said:

It will be a huge mistake if the city loses an arena, and the tourism dollars associated, over parking minimums. Just one more clear example of parking minimums holding Columbus back.

Parking minimums have no place in Columbus or any city for that matter. So many cities are ditching them and here we are, stopping projects because of them... Heck, Cincinnati even recently removed them in the basin neighborhoods. I just don't get Columbus' sudden pivot to target developers for traffic and parking snarls while being the ones who have ignored transit and infrastructure for decades. 

Edited by DevolsDance
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, DevolsDance said:

I just don't get Columbus' sudden pivot to target developers for traffic and parking snarls while being the ones who have ignored transit and infrastructure for decades.

Because "putting developers on notice" shifts the narrative away from their decades of incompetence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GCrites80s said:

And I'm not convinced that Ginther is up on his quality urbanism knowledge.

He's not.

Milo-Grogan Leaders Tackle Challenges of Gentrification Head-On

Milo-The-Rise-620x413.jpg

Charles Thompkins was born and raised in Milo-Grogan, and has been actively involved as a leader in the neighborhood for decades. That involvement has ranged from serving as Chair of the Milo-Grogan Area Commission, to helping put on the annual Milo Fest, to organizing a holiday toy drive that is now in its 35th year.

“I’ve been doing this kind of stuff for over 40 years, and with my wife [Melissa] along with me for 20-some years,” he says, “but it’s different now.”

Change is coming to the neighborhood, and Thompkins recognizes that new strategies will be needed moving forward.

More below:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/milo-grogan-leaders-tackle-challenges-of-gentrification-head-on-bw1

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

New Single Family Homes Planned for Milo-Grogan

New market-rate homes are starting to come online in Milo-Grogan. Local developer New City Homes has acquired a total of 18 new-build sites in the neighborhood, including a cluster of contiguous lots on East Second Avenue where work recently began on the first of five new single family homes.

Chris Knoppe, Partner at New City Homes, said that the company has completed two homes so far elsewhere in the neighborhood and plans to develop the remaining lots incrementally over the next two years or so. Half of the parcels that the company owns were purchased from the Columbus Land Bank, which “allowed us to offer the initial houses at a lower price than otherwise possible for new construction.”

He added that the 15-year tax abatement that was put in place for Milo-Grogan in 2017 will help to lower costs for the homeowner.

“We make the application for that, then the buyer is the beneficiary,” Knoppe said. “Given rising construction costs, it allows us to build a house and still sell it at a price that might be high for the neighborhood, but to the home buyer…the total cost of ownership is reduced by 25 to 30 percent.”

More below:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/new-homes-milo-grogan-bw1

New-City-Homes-Milo-Grogan-1150x550.jpg

• Like 2

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers