The_Cincinnati_Kid

Cincinnati: Restaurant News & Info

OTR's first poke restaurant set to open

Over-the-Rhine's first restaurant devoted entirely to the Hawaiian dish poke is set to open its doors.

Poke Hut at 1509 Race St. is hosting its first soft opening on Nov. 18. It's believed to be the first restaurant in the region focused exclusively on poke. It's a project from Sally Lin, an R&D engineer at Procter & Gamble, and Baret Kilbacak, a lead manufacturing systems engineer at GE Aviation, who also are engaged to each other.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/11/17/exclusive-otrs-first-poke-restaurant-set-to-open.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Here's the newest restaurant coming to the Banks

A Columbus-based taco and tequila restaurant that boasts itself as Sauza tequila's biggest account in the Midwest is the newest restaurant to sign at the Banks, entering the first floor of the new AC Hotel by Marriott.

Condado Tacos is taking over 4,850 square feet in the first floor of the hotel at 135 Joe Nuxhall Way with a planned opening of March 2018. Condado currently has five locations, four in the Columbus area and one in Pittsburgh.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/11/17/exclusive-heres-the-newest-restaurant-coming-to.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Indian-inspired food cart getting Over-the-Rhine brick-and-mortar

An Indian-inspired food cart that was born from a summer sailing trip and started serving out of Findlay Market is getting a brick-and-mortar home in Over-the-Rhine.

Injoy is moving into the former Picnic and Pantry space at 1400 Republic St. in Over-the-Rhine. The owners hope to open shortly after the beginning of the new year.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/11/17/indian-inspired-food-cart-getting-over-the-rhine.html

It's here: Taco Bell Cantina now open downtown

After more than a year in waiting, Taco Bell's Cantina – a new twist on the fast food restaurant aimed at millennials – is now open downtown.

The Taco Bell Cantina in the AT580 Building on East Sixth Street, between Main and Walnut streets, officially opened 7 a..m. today. The space hasn't been occupied in years, since the building was redeveloped. It is downtown's first fast food restaurant since Wendy's closed in June 2016 after 37 years on East Fourth Street.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/11/18/its-here-taco-bell-cantina-now-open-downtown.html

Indian-inspired food cart getting Over-the-Rhine brick-and-mortar

An Indian-inspired food cart that was born from a summer sailing trip and started serving out of Findlay Market is getting a brick-and-mortar home in Over-the-Rhine.

Injoy is moving into the former Picnic and Pantry space at 1400 Republic St. in Over-the-Rhine. The owners hope to open shortly after the beginning of the new year.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/11/17/indian-inspired-food-cart-getting-over-the-rhine.html

I ... did not realize that Picnic & Pantry (didn't they change their name to Bottle & Basket?) had closed.

^I didn't realize that either. They apparently moved into the CAC, but I thought they were just opening a second location. What a weird transition that business has been through since Molly Wellmann bought it.

Over-the-Rhine's first restaurant devoted entirely to the Hawaiian dish poke is set to open its doors.

Poke Hut at 1509 Race St. is hosting its first soft opening on Nov. 18. It's believed to be the first restaurant in the region focused exclusively on poke. It's a project from Sally Lin, an R&D engineer at Procter & Gamble, and Baret Kilbacak, a lead manufacturing systems engineer at GE Aviation, who also are engaged to each other.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/11/17/exclusive-otrs-first-poke-restaurant-set-to-open.html

Was wondering when this trend would hit you guys.  IMO I think its already passed its peak in Chicago.

^I didn't realize that either. They apparently moved into the CAC, but I thought they were just opening a second location. What a weird transition that business has been through since Molly Wellmann bought it.

The CAC restaurant was called Bottle & Basket after Wellmann took it over from Collective Espresso, but then it changed to a Melt.

I also haven’t heard anything about “New Neon’s” recently. Last I heard they were looking at various locations but that was about a year ago.

I also vaguely remember hearing a rumor about something that would be opening in the former Japp’s Annex space but I honestly can’t remember what it is right now.

More below:

Was wondering when this trend would hit you guys.  IMO I think its already passed its peak in Chicago.

It’s still huge and growing in LA. I love poke and hesitate to call it a trend, unless sushi is also a trend. Glad to see Cincy getting a spot, and especially glad for more cheap and quick food options coming to OTR. These types of places are real assets for the residents of the neighborhood, as they cater to more of the get and go model rather than the fancier sit down places that cater more to visitors.

The advantages in LA is that

A) There is a decent sized hawaiian/Japanese population

B) The seafood is fresh

I'm sure there will be Poke places that will hang around elsewhere it just doesn't have those advantages.  Though I've heard Hawaiian food critics criticize how Poke is everywhere else as not being quite right.  It would be like adding ketchup to a chicago dog, or having a Cincy Chili parlor that sold Detroit style coneys.

Also poke tends to be midpriced, not cheap, but its frequently served in a fast casual kind of environment.

Condado's is really good and popular in Columbus.  This should do well at the Banks. 

EXCLUSIVE: Here's the newest restaurant coming to the Banks

A Columbus-based taco and tequila restaurant that boasts itself as Sauza tequila's biggest account in the Midwest is the newest restaurant to sign at the Banks, entering the first floor of the new AC Hotel by Marriott.

Condado Tacos is taking over 4,850 square feet in the first floor of the hotel at 135 Joe Nuxhall Way with a planned opening of March 2018. Condado currently has five locations, four in the Columbus area and one in Pittsburgh.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/11/17/exclusive-heres-the-newest-restaurant-coming-to.html

^Jefferson Social?

I've never had J Social's food but I know they have tacos.  They make their money as a bar though.  Condado will be one of the best taco places in the city, not just a bar that happens to sell tacos.  Plus they'll have the built in hotel guests which will help with business. 

Mariemont gourmet candy store celebrates grand opening

A gourmet candy store that opened recently in historic Mariemont will celebrate with a grand opening celebration this weekend.

Groovy Gumball Candy Co., located at 6846 Wooster Pike in the Mariemont Strand near Dilly Deli and Starbucks, will host its grand opening 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25. Prizes will be awarded every hour and patrons will have a chance to enter a gumball drawing.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/11/22/mariemont-gourmet-candy-store-celebrates-grand.html

New restaurant, convenience store moves into AT580 building

A new breakfast and lunch concept along with a convenience store is open in the former Gourmet to Go space on the Skywalk section of the AT580 building downtown.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/11/22/exclusive-new-restaurant-convenience-store-moves.html

635966827109643907-LgEXT-Walnut-Main.jpg

Coffee shop opening in Carew Tower

coffee_zoom.jpg

A Cincinnati gourmet coffee company that first entered downtown in 2016 is expanding its presence by entering the Carew Tower.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/11/27/exclusive-coffee-shop-opening-in-carew-tower.html

Coffee shop opening in Carew Tower

coffee_zoom.jpg

A Cincinnati gourmet coffee company that first entered downtown in 2016 is expanding its presence by entering the Carew Tower.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/11/27/exclusive-coffee-shop-opening-in-carew-tower.html

That picture looks straight out of 1997!

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Cargo shorts: check. Earth tones: check. Sideburns: check. Frosted tips: need higher-res photo to confirm. J. Crew Pomade: not sure, but possible.

Totally rad.

New sandwich concept opens in former Gilpin's space

Cincinnati restaurateur Brad Gilpin has launched a new concept in his downtown Gilpin's restaurant space, but that doesn't mean his steamed sandwich shop is going away.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/11/30/new-sandwich-concept-opens-in-former-gilpins-space.html

Here's how OTR's boozy ice cream parlor plans to expand

WCPO_buzzed_Bull_main_1492192949658_58309195_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

An Over-the-Rhine ice cream shop that specializes in confections with alcohol mixed right in plans to open up new locations.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/11/30/exclusive-heres-how-otrs-boozy-ice-cream-parlor.html

Gourmet marshmallow and s'mores bar now open in OTR

224e86_6cc676a4ca134826b8cd9396382c2210~mv2_d_3500_3500_s_4_2.png

A retail shop that specializes in gourmet, handmade marshmallows with its own s'mores bar is now open in Over-the-Rhine.

Quaintrelle Confections opened its doors on Dec. 2 at 1210 Main St. The shop specializes in gourmet marshmallows in creative flavors and specialty s'mores.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/12/04/gourmet-marshmallow-and-smores-bar-now-open-in-otr.html

^I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't try it, but I have a hard time believing this is a sustainable business. They had better not be relying on walk-in customers

New-to-market pizzeria opening downtown soon

MidiCi_logo.png

A new-to-market pizzeria specializing in Neapolitan pizza cooked in wood-fired ovens is opening this weekend downtown.

MidiCi, the Neapolitan Pizza Co., opens Dec. 9 in 4,630 square feet at the corner of Sixth and Race streets in the 84.51 building.

MidiCi is based in Encino, Calif. The downtown restaurant is the group's first foray into Ohio. Look through the attached photos for a peek inside before its opening.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/12/05/new-to-market-pizzeria-opening-downtown-soon.html

^ That looks like a really nice spot. I've been impressed with the quality of tenants they've been able to land at the 84.51 building, though it would be cool if they could bring some actual retail in to complement the restaurants. Still, not too long ago, something like this opening downtown would have been pretty big news.

Unrelated but still concerning Cincinnati restaurants: I saw Bakersfield is expanding to yet another city- Detroit. Bakersfield is now in Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Nashville, Charlotte, Indy, Detroit, and of course the og location in OTR. While it kind of sucks that some of our local places are turning into chains, it's definitely good for Cincinnati's economy to grow these one off businesses into chains.

Only three Ohio restaurants made OpenTable's Top 100, and they're all in Cincinnati

1) Orchids at Palm Court

2) Restaurant L

3) Sotto

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/12/06/only-three-ohio-restaurants-made-opentables-top.html

I'm confused by this article, though. It says that these are the only three restaurants from Ohio on the top 100 list, but when you click the link for the full list, there are lots of other restaurants from each of the 3Cs, and the 3 restaurants listed above aren't there. The article also claims that "none of Ohio's bordering states house restaurants that made the list", but that also doesn't seem to check out both when you check the list, and just by using common sense. I could understand Kentucky, Indiana, and W. Virginia not having anything on the list, but Michigan? Pennsylvania?? Something seems off.

^You must have clicked the wrong link somehow. If you filter by location, you can select just the Ohio restaurants, and the three listed in the Bizjournals article are what show up.

opentable.thumb.PNG.5c18eb45f6f8a1fc99195aebec709a79.PNG

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

No, I think the link was changed since I made my post. It says the article was recently updated, so that must have been what happened, because I clicked the link at the end of the article, and filtered by location, and there were about 10 Ohio restaurants listed. Glad to see they cleared it up. There are a bunch of Philly restaurants on the list, though, so the claim that none of Ohio's bordering states had any places on the list is inaccurate.

Mediterranean restaurant chain to open second Greater Cincinnati location

A fast-growing restaurant chain announced Thursday it will open its second Greater Cincinnati location nine months after entering the Ohio market.

Birmingham, Ala.-based Taziki’s Mediterranean Café plans to open a 3,650-square-foot restaurant at at 7841 Tylersville Road in West Chester Township in early spring 2018. It will seat more than 115 people and feature a covered patio with outside seating that can seat another 50. The new design reflects a "Mediterranean-Coastal" atmosphere and community table that lists local nonprofit events with information about how to participate.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/12/07/mediterranean-restaurant-chain-to-open-second.html

Mount Lookout fine dining restaurant sets opening date in former Nectar space

screen-shot-2017-06-20-at-122924-pm*1024xx873-491-0-82.png

A fine dining restaurant that takes a "food as medicine" approach to its cuisine is opening this week in the former Nectar space in Mount Lookout.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/12/13/exclusive-mount-lookout-fine-dining-restaurant.html

Get a look inside Kroger’s first restaurant

Walk into Kroger’s first standalone restaurant in Union, Ky., and you would have no idea it’s owned by a grocer.

“The vast majority of people who come in here, if they haven’t read about it, think this is a separate business,” Kitchen 1883 general manager Jay Denham told me. “A lot of them ask if I’m the owner.”

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/12/14/get-a-look-inside-kroger-s-first-restaurant-photos.html

Hmm, this is surprising to me. It shouldn't be, since I grew up in the era of Lazarus, Woolworth's and other retailers having full restaurants in them. Some even had multiple concepts that aren't as well-remembered, like Charley's Pizza in Lazarus or that Western-themed cafeteria that some Woolworth's had in addition to their regular lunch counter. Picture your drink coming from one of those dispensers that had the clear box on top where you could see the liquid moving through and an Slush Puppie machine spinning that off-camber fiberglass cup with the dog on it.

Second Maplewood location planned in Greater Cincinnati

The Thunderdome Restaurant Group is opening a second location of its Maplewood Kitchen and Bar concept, which originated downtown in 2016, in Cincinnati's suburbs.

Maplewood is getting a second location at 5065 Deerfield Blvd. at the Deerfield Towne Center in Deerfield Township. Thunderdome co-founder Joe Lanni told me he hopes for it to be open by April 1.

"Deerfield is one of the strongest markets in the city, demographics-wise," Lanni said. "There are great rooftops, a lot of people work up there and it's just a very busy trade area that doesn't have anything like Maplewood. We're excited about bringing some of the excitement in the downtown restaurant scene to the suburbs."

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/12/20/second-maplewood-location-planned-in-greater.html

"There are great rooftops, a lot of people work up there and it's just a very busy trade area that doesn't have anything like Maplewood. We're excited about bringing some of the excitement in the downtown restaurant scene to the suburbs."

What?

"There are great rooftops, a lot of people work up there and it's just a very busy trade area that doesn't have anything like Maplewood. We're excited about bringing some of the excitement in the downtown restaurant scene to the suburbs."

What?

I’m guessing he means lots of people live around there

www.cincinnatiideas.com

What?

I think that's a references to the "retail follows rooftops" mantra, meaning retail wants to be near places where lots of rich people live. 

Isn’t Maplewood part of the Thunderdome group of restaurants? Those guys are relentless in trying to turn their establishments into chains. Good for them, but kind of annoying that these cool restaurants that start downtown or in OTR become less unique as they become chains.

I'm upset about these places insisting on having a suburban location too. I guess the silver lining is that they won't be a slammed on the weekends with suburbanites when I want to go.

Muse, Mount Lookout's newest fine dining restaurant, is now open

Muse, Mount Lookout's newest fine dining restaurant that takes a food-as-medicine approach to cuisine, opened Dec. 14, and we got a look inside.

Muse opened at 1000 Delta Ave. The space, which used to house Nectar, closed in February after chef Julie Francis decided to take on other parts of the local food scene. Flip through the attached photos for a look inside.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/12/29/muse-mount-lookouts-newest-fine-dining-restaurant.html

Muse, Mount Lookout's newest fine dining restaurant that takes a food-as-medicine approach to cuisine, opened Dec. 14, and we got a look inside.

Muse opened at 1000 Delta Ave. The space, which used to house Nectar, closed in February after chef Julie Francis decided to take on other parts of the local food scene. Flip through the attached photos for a look inside.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/12/29/muse-mount-lookouts-newest-fine-dining-restaurant.html

There's a newly opened Muse Cafe in Westwood at the corner of Montana and Harrison. Popular name right now...

More below:

There's a newly opened Muse Cafe in Westwood at the corner of Montana and Harrison. Popular name right now...

inspiring even