The_Cincinnati_Kid

Cincinnati: Restaurant News & Info

Ignore this - I did not realize this had already been posted under Projects.

This has been discussed before, but it looks like Friday's is opening downtown.  Obviously not the most unique place, but it is good to add options to the list:

http://www.wlwt.com/entertainment/10497780/detail.html

CINCINNATI -- Another new restaurant is coming to downtown Cincinnati, and it's a well-known chain.

News 5 has learned that TGI Fridays will open a location at Tower Place Mall next year.

Kaldi's is going to have a new menu and serve panni sandwiches from when the kitchen closes until when the bar closes.

In addition they have a new barrellhouse, a winter belgian ale.  very tasty

Pho Paris moving to Kentucky[/size]

BY POLLY CAMPBELL | THE CINCINNATI ENQUIRER

Pho Paris, Jean-Robert de Cavel’s Vietnamese-French fusion restaurant, is moving from Oakley to Covington. It will close after celebrating New Year’s Eve, then re-open by the end of January at 318 Greenup Street.

Click here for article:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061211/LIFE/312110002

For some reason, I don't feel nearly as bad about this move...sounds like it wasn't making it where it was in Oakley, and that it was either drop it or move it...and man, that section of Greenup could use the tenant too - a number of places have closed in that section of Covington - as much as I mourn for Oakley, I'd love to see that section of Covington come back to life again!

Jean-Robert is a trader. This is TREASON!

Traitor or trader?

His name isn't Joe, ya know...

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

For some reason, I don't feel nearly as bad about this move...sounds like it wasn't making it where it was in Oakley, and that it was either drop it or move it...and man, that section of Greenup could use the tenant too

Oddly enough I feel the same way, Oakley will be just fine with or without Pho Paris.  That location seems to be a black hole for restaurants, Andiamo! didn't last very long there either.  Kind of strange, but it may be that the location's ample offstreet parking is what hurts it (not to mention the wierd little strip it's in).  The restaurant space sits far enough back off of Madison, and across the parking lot, that a lot of people I know who live in Oakley -and probably drive by it daily- do not know were it is.  When I tell them it is across the street from Boca they know exactly where it is because Boca fronts Madison. 

I also think the making the restaurant a little less formal & inexpensive will go a long way to increasing it's popularity regardless of location.  The French-Vietnamese fusion concept is interesting and I think they execute it fairly well; however, it still a niche market and they end up falling somewhere between the fine dining crowd and the PF Changs crowd.   People that want to get dressed and spend a little more on a nice dinner don't necessarily think of Pho Paris as a first option and people that are looking to go out and get asian will think it's too fancy/pricey.  Personally, if I'm craving Vietnamese and don't feeling like making an evening of it, my first thought is Song Long (owned by Jean Ro's partners in Pho Paris) in Roselawn instead. 

Glad to hear it's staying open though regardless of where it is.  I like the Greenup area as well and they could use a shot in the arm. 

If you want cheap fast Vietnamese there is always Cilantro right across from Hughes high school.  The Beef Vermicelli noodle bowl is delicious, about the size of two meals and six dollars.

Since we now know that they will be opening up a Oceanaire Seafood Room in the 580 Building, I'd assume most people want to see what this place looks like (like me).

Here you go ...

12296_1.jpg  mainpic_hours_INDIANAPOLIS.jpg 

cover_ocean01.jpg  oceanaire-200.gif  11635110p1.jpg

I like their style!

This move is understandable...doesn't Jean Robert live in Covington??

Yes I think I read somewhere that he lives in nky.  I ate at PhoParis right after it opened - it was pretty good - but the location back off the street behind a parking lot made it feel very (sub)urban - unlike JeanRo and Pigalls dt.  Sounds like the new location will be better.

580 Building?  I need more info.

From the Enquirer:

"By late 2007 or early 2008, an Oceanaire Seafood Room is expected to open at Sixth and Walnut streets in the revamped 580 Building."

^The building Graet American Insurance is in.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

^yeah that was a bad clarification....Great American is in about 3 or 4 locations downtown.  Here is an aerial of the site (just south of Aronoff, cady corner from CAC)...the building's lobby/entrance is currently being renovated:

580.jpg

^yeah that was a bad clarification....Great American is in about 3 or 4 locations downtown. 

Fine.  The one with the actual "Great American Insurance" sign on it.  Happy? ;)

^yeah that was a bad clarification....Great American is in about 3 or 4 locations downtown. 

Fine.  The one with the actual "Great American Insurance" sign on it.  Happy? ;)

Actually, the Dixie Terminal also says "Great American Insurance" on the south side of it as well.  ;)

Actually, the Dixie Terminal also says "Great American Insurance" on the south side of it as well.  ;)

That building is Unamerican.

Northside's Potluck becomes restaurant

POLLY CAMPBELL | PCAMPBELL@ENQUIRER.COM

December 14, 2006

CINCINNATI - Potluck in Northside has transformed into The Hideaway.

Click here for article:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061214/BIZ01/312140023

Dickey’s opens in West Chester

BY POLLY CAMPBELL | PCAMPBELL@ENQUIRER.COM

December 14, 2006

WEST CHESTER TWP. - Dickey’s Barbecue Pit opened today in West Chester at 9290 Allen Road, at Union Center Boulevard, just west of Mulhauser.

Click here for article:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061214/BIZ01/312140024

On my way downtown this morning I noticed the old Buskin Bakery on 8th St. had a new sign outside indicating that it was going to be a Mexican restaurant.  Anybody know anything about this??

I believe Jalapenos was opening a downtown location but I don't remember where.  It is one of our favorite Mexican restaurants in the region so I am happy.  We go to the one in Madeira often.

The one at 8th and Walnut is Javier's, which is moving from a much smaller location on Court St.  It has been a popular lunch spot for years.

I have heard really good things about the food at Potluck in Northside.  Now that they have seating, I may just go check it out!

Edit: Jalapeno's is going in at 7th and Elm, where Aioli used to be.  It should be opening soon.

Dickey’s opens in West Chester

BY POLLY CAMPBELL | PCAMPBELL@ENQUIRER.COM

December 14, 2006

WEST CHESTER TWP. - Dickey’s Barbecue Pit opened today in West Chester at 9290 Allen Road, at Union Center Boulevard, just west of Mulhauser.

Click here for article:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061214/BIZ01/312140024

Might end up checking this one out.

I'm sure someone in my nutjob family will wanna talk me into it lol.