The_Cincinnati_Kid

Cincinnati: Restaurant News & Info

I have been to the bars in OTR many times, but I was wondering if there are family friendly restaurants in OTR that you can bring your kids to that are open during the day?  I am looking for a restaurant more so than just a bar/restaurant.  Outside of Findlay Market & Music Hall, my daughter hasn't seen much of OTR. 

During warm weather, The Courtyard is very family friendly.  But the inside does have a bar feel. Kaldi's would have to be the next closest. I can't think of anything unfriendly about it, especially when you sit on the coffee counter (as opposed to bar) side. The menu is a little limited, but most kids like quesadillas and they have those. Amazing carrot cake too. I don't think Kaldi's is open on Sunday. Harry's has decent pizza and is open during the day on weekdays, but I don't know about their weekend daytime hours.

Sadly, there aren't too many places to eat in OTR. I wouldn't consider Nicola's (too fine dining) or Cooper's (bar).

Monte, during the day, you might want to try Tucker's.  It is in a rough spot on Vine, but inside things are cool.  My kid wants fries when we go out.  Within walking distance that means Hamburger Mary's in the evening or skyline during the day.  Both are 3 blocks south of OTR.  Not much for kids in OTR.  Kaldi's can be too smoky, but I might give it another try with child in tow. 

Tuckers

Paula's & Mr Pig by the market

Charlie's Dunlap Cafe is a bar, but during the day it is more of a lunch place. The table by the door is the no smoking section. :-) Dunno what their weekend hours are. They have fries !

and an impressive beer can collection

Actually we have all been to Nicola's.  I forgot about that because it is on the pricey end and I was looking for an everyday affordable place.  Maybe something along the lines of "First Watch"...  We have also eaten at Hamburger Mary's for Sunday Brunch before and the food was really good but that is part of the CBD.  Is there not a little cafe or breakfast place in OTR besides a coffee house like Kaldi's?

Where is Tucker's located on Vine?  Between Central Parkway & Liberty?  I might be a little hesitant about going on a walk on Vine with my daughter.

Where is Charlie's Dunlap Cafe located in OTR?

Not a restaurant, per se, but during warm months I like to go to the Alabama Fish Bar, on Liberty and Race, and have a picnic in the SCPA field.  One word of warning, though: you'll smell like fried fish the entire day.  But well worth it, in my opinion.

Charlie's Dunlap is just north of the Dunlap lofts.

Tucker's is 1400 block of Vine ?

There is nowhere in OTR, or anywhere else I am starting to think, that your kid will not pick up some new words.

My family & I ate at Union Station Video Cafe in mid January before we caught a flight to Florida out of CVG.  The setting is very bar like and the videos displayed on the screens & TV's were pretty low quality but the service and food were excellent.  They were very accommodating to my 7 year old daughter with finger foods and a Styrofoam cup for her milk.  I just had a wrap (bacon ranch) and it was as good as any other wrap I had.  Very tasty... I got the vibe that it catered to the "gay" crowd.

Ko-sho Japanese Restaurant

215 E 9TH St

Cincinnati, OH 45202

(513) 665-4950

Doing some research around the Internet for good "sushi" joints in Cincinnati, I came across another sushi place that was downtown.  I have eaten at Benihana on 6th street before but never had their sushi but wanted to give this place on 9th a try so on Friday night we took a drive downtown and ate at Ko-sho Japanese Restaurant.  The place is hidden off 9th street near the Broadway Commons area. It was decently lit but in a part of downtown that gets little foot traffic at night.  Poking around at google searches showed that this place has been open since 1996.  - Wow, and I never heard of it.

The atmosphere was casual, nothing fancy.  The staff was very friendly.  The restaurant had all the typical Japanese beers like Sapporo, Kirin, Asashi.  The sushi menu was quite standard and didn't offer anything unique.  I was hoping to discover a new sushi place downtown to serve those sushi cravings when I am in the city but unfortunately I can't say that I did.  You hear some sushi critics comment on sushi places that aren't fresh or flavorful and I think I might finally see what they are talking about.  I have usually had good luck at the places I have eaten at but the sushi wasn't good IMO. 

On a positive note the rest of my family enjoyed their dishes.  The Chicken Teriyaki was delicious and I would probably go back and eat there again but I would stay away from the sushi.

Has anyone else eaten here?  Was it an off night?  What were your experiences?

Here is a City Beat review I found if you want to read another opinion about the place.

http://www.citybeat.com/2004-12-22/diner.shtml

http://www.citybeat.com/gyrobase/Restaurant/RestaurantListing?restaurant=Ko-Sho%20Japanese%20Restaurant

Wow, aren't we just Mr. Polly Campbell lately?  Thanks for all your restaurant reviews - I always enjoy reading them and finding new places to try out!

Regarding sushi, I haven't been many places - mostly to Beluga...though I've heard Aoi is top notch from my sushi-eating friends...

I have wanted to go to Beluga since I have moved here.  Everyone says it is the best sushi in town.  Problem is the rest of my family doesn't like sushi so usually we compromise and go to a Japanese Restaurant that serves a larger menu.

They have other dishes there, non-sushi...I've had a lamb chop a few years ago...can't find a menu with a quick search, but there are other things...maybe not extensive enough for a family, though...

There's a good sushi joint in Mt. Lookout Sqaure. I forget what its called at the moment but it is pretty good.

you're probably thinking of Sushi Ray which is excellent.  There is also Ruthai's Thai Kitchen, which I've tried to go to on numerous occasions but they've either not been open or not serving sushi, so I gave up on them.  There was also Bistro 1020 that closed a few months ago, but their sushi wasn't memorable.

As for recommendations, Charlie's Sake Bomb in East Hyde Park, Wild Ginger in Hyde Park, Asiana in Oakley, and Matsuya way out in Erlanger (I think) are all excellent.  Overall, the east side of the city definitely has the corner on the sushi market.

There is a sushi place out in one of those business parks by the airport. I hear all the Toyota execs go there when they're in from Japan so I'd assume it must be pretty good. I think it might be called Jo Ann or something

Jo An's is the place for sushi in the japanese community. I support Kosho because the food is good,  it's downtown and I can walk over to the Blue Wisp Jazz club after dinner. There is also a really good Japanese restaraunt in florence that just opened called Miyoshi, in my opinion they are the best. Go to lunch there you will not be disapointed!!

Do you have an address to Jo Ann?

Jo An Japanese Restaurant. 3940 Olympic Blvd. Erlanger, KY 41018

Get off at mineola pike near the airport it's in the suburban looking office tower.

My husband and I ate dinner there last weekend with another couple.  The food was good and reasonably priced.  They were playing music videos on the screens, which I think was cool. 

Nice find Cincy-Rise...  I will be disappointed if they don't incorporate outdoor seating into it but it does look like and improvement over the current look of the building.

When will the 5th & Vine bar be closed to start construction and is the Albee closing? 

Yes, both are supposedly closing. I am pretty sure 5th & Vine is supposed to close this month? This month is almost over so ... we will see.

Like I said before, one of my customers is the security manager of the Westin and from what he said, they acquired 9ft.(?) of street space, so I would assume this is for outdoor sitting.

I was also under the impression that there would be two restaurants moving in there and they would both be 2 stories.  I think the fact that Albee wasn't accessible from the exterior hurt it with tourists.  I never went there myself.

Redfish closes downtown site

Owner cites less revenue from conventions

BY JOHN ECKBERG | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

DOWNTOWN - Fans of Louisiana cuisine will have to find a new eatery for Cajun sandwiches and gumbo after Redfish restaurant at Seventh and Race streets closed Sunday.

Rest of article:

E-mail jeckberg@enquirer.com

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060808/BIZ01/608080323/1076

Maybe a tighter topic: Random Cincinnati Restaurant Openings, Closing & Relocations - and if you rustled up the topics you had in mind, it would probably make Grasscat's life easier!  I can think of Simone's, Redfish, and then a couple other downtown places whose names escape me...you'd probably remember better...

This idea is fine, but the story has nothing to do with the topic section.  (That is, it's not about restaurants, entertainment, travel or relocation assistance.)

Huh...very true.  That thought totally escaped me....I'll make some changes.

LATE TAX PAYMENT TURNS OFF TAP AT BELLA

The Bella restaurant at Sixth and Walnut streets downtown was closed Thursday and was not serving alcohol Friday afternoon after the Ohio Liquor Control Commission suspended its liquor license effective July 24 for delinquent tax payments.

rest removed

LATE TAX PAYMENT TURNS OFF TAP AT BELLA

The Bella restaurant at Sixth and Walnut streets downtown was closed Thursday and was not serving alcohol Friday afternoon after the Ohio Liquor Control Commission suspended its liquor license effective July 24 for delinquent tax payments.

They must have resolved it, because I drank two beers at Bella's bar on Friday evening.  Either that, or they were selling illegally.