The_Cincinnati_Kid

Cincinnati: Restaurant News & Info

10 hours ago, GCrites80s said:

Not a fan of cat cafes then? I understand the sanitary concerns, but still...

giphy.gif

• Like 2

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

^Who doesn't want to hang out with that cat?

Even if you don't like cats in your cafe, just tell yourself that a vacant mechanics shop is being converted to retail use and will be completely redeveloped for whoever the next owner is.

Longtime Cincinnati chef bringing a taste of his native New Orleans to OTR

A New Orleans chef with a long history working in Cincinnati kitchens, after he was displaced during Hurricane Katrina, is opening his first restaurant, bringing a flavor of home to Over-the-Rhine.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/03/05/exclusive-longtime-cincinnati-chef-bringing-a.html

00000img00000burst20200209180703735cover

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Here's the latest on Goodfellas Pleasant Ridge

img20141230134735317*750xx5248-2952-0-0.

It's been nearly two years since Goodfellas Pizzeria announced it would be bringing its New York-style oversized slices and Wiseguy Lounge cocktail bar to Pleasant Ridge.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/03/06/heres-the-latest-on-goodfellas-pleasant-ridge.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Here's when Holtman's Donuts will open in Oakley

holtmans08*750xx600-338-0-31.jpg

After just more than 18 months in the works, Cincinnati favorite Holtman's Donuts is getting ready to open its Oakley location.

Holtman's Donuts is hosting a grand opening for its Oakley bakery at 3450 Madison Road on April 4. It's the bakery's fifth Cincinnati location, and the third for Katie Plazarin and her husband, Danny, who also own Holtman's locations in Over-the-Rhine and West Chester.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/03/06/heres-when-holtmans-donuts-will-open-in-oakley.html

On 3/3/2020 at 11:57 AM, ryanlammi said:

My friends and I have been talking about this for like 8 or 9 years.

Prices seem a little steep, though. That's close to 50% higher than current prices at Skyline.

Yeah, I hope they keep the prices under $10. Comparing to Skyline, it depends on how large the portions are. A large 5-way at Skyline is $9.09, while a small is only $5.59. 

• Like 1

East Side restaurant rebrands with new chef

karrikin-20*750xx1440-810-0-0.jpg

An East Side restaurant that opened inside of a craft brewery and distillery in late 2018 is rebranding under a new executive chef.

Karrikin Spirits Co., at 3717 Jonlen Drive in Fairfax, is rebranding its culinary branch as the Hearth at Karrikin. The restaurant opened alongside the distillery in December 2018.

Alongside the rebranding, Chef de Cuisine Chris Davis is being promoted to executive chef of the Hearth at Karrikin. Davis has worked at Karrikin from the start, alongside its original chef Jared Bennett, who is overseeing the kitchen at upcoming Mariemont restaurant Emery.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/03/10/east-side-restaurant-rebrands-with-new-chef.html

Shuttered Clifton Gaslight restaurant to reopen with new owners

screen-shot-2020-02-19-at-101418-am*750x

A longtime Clifton Gaslight restaurant that closed its doors in February will reopen this spring under new ownership.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/03/12/shuttered-clifton-gaslight-restaurant-to-reopen.html

Just heard from our Ohio City community page that Townhall is laying off its workforce and making everyone reapply when it re-opens

4 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

I was talking to my brother on the phone tonight and he relayed that some guy he went to high school with was on Facebook complaining that he's laid off and only has a week of cash.  So the guy has been tending bar for 10+ years but somehow at age 37 he only has a week's worth of cash. 

Your tips are going to their drug and cigarette and alcohol habits.  Don't feel sorry for these people. 

“Some guy my brother knows hasn’t saved money so you shouldn’t feel sorry for anyone in his profession even though they were all just laid off suddenly for an unknown extended period of time.”

FFS, please stop making garbage posts. I’d like to think you’re better than this. Normally I enjoy your cynicism but lately you’ve gone WAY over the line. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

I was talking to my brother on the phone tonight and he relayed that some guy he went to high school with was on Facebook complaining that he's laid off and only has a week of cash.  So the guy has been tending bar for 10+ years but somehow at age 37 he only has a week's worth of cash. 

Your tips are going to their drug and cigarette and alcohol habits.  Don't feel sorry for these people. 

What about me, delivering pizzas when I was in college? This would've been devastating. What about the waitress at your favorite diner with two kids at home? What about the bartender at the bar downtown that I love, who is working to put herself through college? The list goes on. 

Come on, man. Don't be an idiot. 

6 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

I saw some stats today that said roughly 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck.

Additionally, after the death of two people in Pendleton last month, the issue of drug abuse is one that many restaurateurs were working to address in the Cincinnati area up until the recent pandemic.

Not every bartender and server is an addict, actually I bet it is not even close to a majority. Therefore its unproductive to make such general accusations and assumptions. As a matter-of-fact, its hurtful.

There are better, more articulate ways, for your to frame your arguments. I would recommend you take some time to critically review your statements before posting them to this forum.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

It will be interesting to see how different restaurants take different approaches weathering the storm.

Please, which is a high-end restaurant that did not offer any take-out before this happened, decided to close completely rather than try to modify their business model to support take-out.

Arnold's shifted to delivery/pick-up only, but once they sold out of the food in their walk-in and freezer (which happened last night), they announced that they are going to lay off their staff and close. They will re-evaluate the situation on March 24.

Also, as a side node, I'm seeing a lot of people who are shocked that restaurants/bars are laying off their staff during the closure. Everyone should keep in mind that Ohio is expediting unemployment benefits for people who are laid off due to COVID-19. If these restaurants did not lay off their staff, kept them "on the payroll" but working 0 hours, I don't think they would qualify for unemployment.

If you are a bar/restuarant worker who has been laid off, please read this Twitter thread which has some great information about how to apply for benefits.

• Like 1

Kroger is hiring a lot of people right now on a "seasonal" basis. It may not pay as well as restaurants and bars but at least it's available. 

2 hours ago, taestell said:

It will be interesting to see how different restaurants take different approaches weathering the storm.

Please, which is a high-end restaurant that did not offer any take-out before this happened, decided to close completely rather than try to modify their business model to support take-out.

Arnold's shifted to delivery/pick-up only, but once they sold out of the food in their walk-in and freezer (which happened last night), they announced that they are going to lay off their staff and close. They will re-evaluate the situation on March 24.

We might actually be getting some insights into the profitability of various products at these different restaurants. If one just stops everything there's a better chance that they were making all their money off of drinks while being near breakeven on food. Whereas a place that's still banging out takeout and delivery has a better margin on their food.

L is the first well-known local restaurant to announce that they won't reopen; more will follow:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/dining/2020/03/27/jean-robert-de-cavels-restaurant-l-not-reopen-after-order-lifted/2925627001/

Stuff isn't going to return to normal immediately.  So all restaurants are facing 2-3 bad months after having been completely closed for 2-3 months.  

49 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:

L is the first well-known local restaurant to announce that they won't reopen; more will follow:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/dining/2020/03/27/jean-robert-de-cavels-restaurant-l-not-reopen-after-order-lifted/2925627001/

Stuff isn't going to return to normal immediately.  So all restaurants are facing 2-3 bad months after having been completely closed for 2-3 months.  

More will follow sadly. These places with huge rent burdens can't simply stop the cash flow and expect to survive.

2 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

Not surprising. He said it struggled in 2019 too, so they've been having issues for awhile. The location is horrible. There's no street life there in the evenings. It would've done a lot better if it was closer to the Aronoff or on Vine Street in OTR. 

48 minutes ago, DEPACincy said:

Not surprising. He said it struggled in 2019 too, so they've been having issues for awhile. The location is horrible. There's no street life there in the evenings. It would've done a lot better if it was closer to the Aronoff or on Vine Street in OTR. 

Agree the location was terrible. You had to unload guest at Fourth Street and then you walked through a dead lobby in the evenings. The views weren't great either, if this was at the top of the tower i think he would have had more pull in order to make the journey to the restaurant. 

No idea how someone with his experience looked at this location and thought any type of restaurant would work.

"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

Jean Robert probably thinks that his name is a big enough draw and people will go out of their way to eat at his restaurants no matter where they are located. That may have been the case 10 years ago, but with the thriving restaurant scene that Cincinnati has today, it's not true anymore.

• Like 1

People set themselves up for losing huge sums of money when they think of a restaurant as being some sort of art project.  It is a business, period.  Unfortunately most restaurants don't own their buildings and their startup costs are financed by some cockamamie combination of investors, family money, and loans, loans, and more loans.  It's stressful during good times and life-destroying when things turn south.  Many owners who were yelling at their employees last month will be working along side them for somebody else by the end of the year. 

Holtman's Donuts' newest location opens amid coronavirus crisis

The newest location for Holtman's Donuts was scheduled to open in early April until the coronavirus crisis derailed the planned festivities. But that hasn't stopped it from going into business.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/04/23/holtmans-donuts-newest-location-opens-amid.html

unspecified-9*1024xx2048-1152-0-107.jpg

Northern Kentucky restaurateur opening new concept despite coronavirus

resturantbar*750xx1500-844-0-78.jpg

The owner of Agave & Rye, which was born in Covington before spreading to three other locations, is opening a new concept that will start with carryout service, in spite of Covid-19 pummeling the restaurant industry.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/04/23/northern-kentucky-restaurateur-opening-new-concept.html

Developers launch renovation of downtown Covington office building, adding rooftop bar, restaurant

A local development team is starting on a complete renovation of a historical building in downtown Covington.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/04/28/developers-launch-renovation-of-downtown-covington.html

535madisonrooftop*1200xx2551-1435-0-1.jp

tumblr_mg88902XL11ql9217o3_500.gifv

Craft brewery Fifty West opens new restaurant amid pandemic 

Cincinnati's Fifty West Brewing Co. is opening a new eatery serving up roadside Americana in the midst of the global Covid-19 pandemic.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/04/29/craft-brewery-fifty-west-opens-new-restaurant-amid.html

cph6050*1200xx8256-4644-0-430.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

Well, atchualy, that's a Buffalo Wings and Rings

Partners with Waffle & Steak.  

Don't be dissin' Waffle & Steak!

DztNRhnX0AQTvp5.jpg

9 hours ago, ColDayMan said:

Don't be dissin' Waffle & Steak!

Oh yes, I went there.  It's on!  

• Poison 1

City plans to close or partially close streets at 25 locations in Downtown and Over The Rhine so restaurants can expand outdoor seating.

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/live-mayor-cranleys-friday-update-on-covid-19-in-cincinnati

https://www.fox19.com/2020/05/08/city-closing-some-streets-sidewalks-downtown-restaurants-create-patio-seating/

Edited by Coseau

That's actually a really good idea (assuming the restaurants have to open that is). Hopefully Freedom Way and some of these other closures remind people that woonerfs are a good idea and they just remain pedestrian only forever. 

Longtime riverfront restaurant permanently closes due to coronavirus

A longtime seafood restaurant that overlooked the banks of the Ohio River is permanently closed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Joe's Crab Shack at 25 Fairfield Ave. in Bellevue is permanently closed. A person who answered the phone at the restaurant said the closure was effective May 14. 

Bellevue Mayor Charlie Cleves told me he was informed of the closure through a letter delivered by certified mail. The city of Bellevue is the landlord to the restaurant space that Joe's Crab Shack has called home since 2002.

Cleves said the restaurant paid the city of Bellevue $120,000 a year in rent, and he estimated another $30,000 in income tax from its workers.

Cont (subscription required)

"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

53 minutes ago, Cygnus said:

Longtime riverfront restaurant permanently closes due to coronavirus

A longtime seafood restaurant that overlooked the banks of the Ohio River is permanently closed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Joe's Crab Shack at 25 Fairfield Ave. in Bellevue is permanently closed. A person who answered the phone at the restaurant said the closure was effective May 14. 

Bellevue Mayor Charlie Cleves told me he was informed of the closure through a letter delivered by certified mail. The city of Bellevue is the landlord to the restaurant space that Joe's Crab Shack has called home since 2002.

Cleves said the restaurant paid the city of Bellevue $120,000 a year in rent, and he estimated another $30,000 in income tax from its workers.

Cont (subscription required)

This is going to slightly impact Bellevue's revenue stream since they own the land under Joe's and Buckhead, but long-term this was going to happen and I'm happy it finally is.

It has been pegged as a redevelopment site for years. Hopefully they are working towards that.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

2 hours ago, ucgrady said:

That's actually a really good idea (assuming the restaurants have to open that is). Hopefully Freedom Way and some of these other closures remind people that woonerfs are a good idea and they just remain pedestrian only forever. 

Looks like the Banks is not part of this (for at least this weekend). I can't believe they are concerned about crowding when this weekend's forecast calls for thunderstorms and rain. It's not going to be a great weekend to do much outside.

The Banks will not offer street seating for restaurants this weekend

Restaurants at the Banks development on the Ohio River will not offer seating on closed streets the first weekend it is allowed by the city of Cincinnati.

While the city of Cincinnati is closing some streets downtown and in Over-the-Rhine to accommodate outdoor restaurant seating, which will be permitted by the state of Ohio on May 15, the Banks will not be taking advantage of that, at least initially.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

So, are people grabbing food to go and sitting down to eat in these spaces? Or are these areas "full service"?

Over-the-Rhine gets its first new chili parlor in nearly 40 years

Over-the-Rhine's first new chili parlor since the 1980s is set to host its grand opening this week.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/05/19/otr-gets-its-first-new-chili-parlo-since-1980s.html

2b906093-2b54-43a7-b1e9-4dfeaeeec024-lar

I've not had their chili yet but their burgers and fries are quite good; including the Impossible Burger.

18 hours ago, ColDayMan said:

Over-the-Rhine gets its first new chili parlor in nearly 40 years

Over-the-Rhine's first new chili parlor since the 1980s is set to host its grand opening this week.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/05/19/otr-gets-its-first-new-chili-parlo-since-1980s.html

The Gold Star Chili at Race and Elder was open at least until 1998: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/2019/08/27/food-and-wine-gold-star-ohio-best-fast-food-cincinnati-chili/2131249001/ 

There seems to be more of this type of false history promotion lately, the new jazz bar on Vine St is claiming it is bringing back jazz to Over-the-Rhine when Schwartz's Point has been here for decades.

^ They have updated the article to read:

Over-the-Rhine's first new chili parlor since the 1990s is set to host its grand opening this week.