Cincinnati: Restaurant News & Info

I saw this mentioned in another post, but here is some more info....

Diner on Sycamore plans to reopen

-- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Greg Paeth

Post staff reporter

The Diner on Sycamore, an Over-the-Rhine landmark that closed down almost exactly three years ago, will reopen this month or early next year.

Here's an article from today's Enquirier. Looks like they're going to be open 24 hours, offer wireless internet, and open New Years' Eve. Sweet!

-----------

Historic Diner getting new life

Sycamore stalwart to reopen on New Year's Eve

By John Eckberg

Enquirer staff writer

Preparing to reopen the Diner on Sycamore on New Year's Eve are (from front) Juanita Bullock, assistant general manager, co-owner Alex Patel, and bar manager Jody Steiner. The restaurant will employ about 60 people and will seat about 250.

Photos by Meggan Booker/The Enquirer

Zoom

The stainless steel restaurant was manufactured in New Jersey in 1955 and still has an Eisenhower-era flavor.

Zoom

Workers on Tuesday were busy breathing new life into the historic shell of the Diner on Sycamore for a planned reopening New Year's Eve.

No link available

• 3 weeks later...

I woke up today like a kid on Christmas morning. Breakfast at the Diner! So we walked over there around 9:30...and they weren't open yet!! There was a news crew and all the staff but apparently the fire marshal had just completed his inspection and they had a couple other things to do before opening.  We're going to try again at lunch.

Just got back from lunch at The Diner. The food was good (club sandwich & chicken fingers) and the menu looks great (breakfast 24 hours!).  Prices are similar to an Applebees.  Being the first day, it was chaotic! It was pretty crowded with customers, news crews, the mayor, employees, managers, etc.  The computers were installed less than 24 hours before opening so there were some glitches (couldn't print out receipt, had to manually call orders back to the kitchen).  The atmosphere is awesome. We sat at the counter, and I enjoyed looking in the big mirrors above the bar and watching the traffic (pedestrian and vehicular) on Sycamore.

I would suggest waiting a few days or a week to let them iron things out and then go visit.

There where about four old time diners in downtown Dayton.  The two White Towers, a Tasty Boy, and the Wympee.  The Wympee is the last holdout, and is the real deal, too.  Its not one of those old time prefab diners, but it does look to date from the pre WWII era. 

There is a pre-fab diner in Dayton, too, which I think had some ownership affiliation w. the Diner on Sycamore (the Dayton one opened in 1988 or 89)...yet it didn't last.  It change menue, closed, reopened, closed, and I think may be reopened again (I lost track).  The orignal incarnation, with its someone spicy menu,  was alot of fun though...

Went to the Diner today with my brother and a friend and we really enjoyed it (at least I did).  The front section near the bar has a very "happening" atmosphere, the food was actually quite good, and everyone stopped by to make sure we were doing alright, from managers to the chef.  As a place that's open 24 hours, I can see it becoming quite a post-bar hotspot on friday and saturday nights.  Poor Harry's Pizza :)

Ah maybe the service and speed of food inventory and delivery has improved I'll go back again today. O for some of you locals  the  new thai restraunt opened WED it is located where the old longhorns was on vine..and a new cafe has opened where the old frisch's was...on sixth I believe I will go check it out.Lets all support our city center hope to see you there~!

Went to the thai restraunt for dinner.Wow! This is a great place, the food was very authentic haven't had anything this good since thai friends back in college. I chose a 7 in 1-10 is spice factor. it was just right for me,a slow burn. If you like americanized chinese IE PF CHANGS or thai you might not like this place, but don't worry there is no fish paste in there as an ingredient. I'm gonna try lunch there next weekend. oh the service is outstanding too!! went by old frischs to see cafe it is not open yet.it looks like it might be awhile

ps --- if anyone wants an old diner i know one that is available. in manhattan the MUNSON DINER closed and is for sale to be taken away by truck if you want it. it's a classic kullman-style diner in hell's kitchen at 49th st and 11th ave. do you think maybe that guy who renovates old diners in cleveland might want it? link:

http://www.curbed.com/archives/2005/01/07/munson_diner_bullet_holes_and_all_seeks_new_home.php

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the Diner on Sunday, around 3:30pm, and had decent food, good drinks, and abysmal service...we were super hungry, so we ordered an appetizer sampler, which the kitchen apparently forgot...after about 50 minutes our main course came.  Had to ask for drinks two or three times, they didn't cook the food to order, etc.  Hopefully it was a combination of between shifts and bad luck, so we'll definitely try it again, but god damn, they can't keep doing that to folks an expect to stay in business...the service reminded me of the Cove/Sitwell's back in the Tudor Court days...

we were about 3 weeks ago and the service was horrendous.  i see no sign of improvement either.

not only that, the food was mediocre and the place was empty.  i still wish em the best, but they've seriously got to shape up.

• 8 months later...

Union Station Video Café opening soon

Post staff report

Columbus-based Union Station Video Café will open its third location in Ohio on Oct. 13 at what had been Carol's On Main, a restaurant that had established a loyal following that dates back 15 years.

Carol's closed at 825 Main St., downtown, on Sept. 17. The location will be back in business with a similar atmosphere and a similar mid-priced lunch and dinner menu after undergoing a substantial renovation.

Like the Union Station Video Cafes in Columbus and Cleveland, the Cincinnati location will feature plenty of video monitors that provide entertainment for diners, said Rajesh Lahoti, a spokesman for the café chain.

"We're hoping to continue what they had at Carol's," said Lahoti, who had high praise for previous owner Marcus Adiutori and his staff.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051001/BIZ/510010302/1001

• 3 months later...

...just went there for dinner tonight...actually, we had drinks, three appetizers and one entre between the four of us.  I always loved that place - great seafood, plus a flawless view...I was walking with a friend around Sawyer Point et al, and saw the sign on the building - I thought, "are they open again?  I don't remember a sign there before..."  Then we saw a billboard a week or so later, and after some googling found out it was open again...

Anyway, the clam chowder is as stellar as it ever was...shrimp bignet (sp?) was fantastic...I didn't try the fish entree or the oysters, but everyone raved...it's pricey (unless you do the appetizer-based deal like we did), but it's truly worth it, unlike some other places I could name (Celestial)...

They did some renovations, but that's been closed for a couple years now, and the changes I saw were pretty much cosmetic - reupholstered some furniture, maybe a pain job, new carpet...a landlord would have turned that around in two weeks, not two years...

Westin nets high-profile eatery downtown

Lisa Biank Fasig  Courier Staff Writer

McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant, a chain of 59 upscale eateries known for massive menus of fresh fish dishes, has agreed to open its first area location at the Westin Hotel downtown.  The roughly $2.5 million, 8,000-square-foot restaurant is expected to open by October.

The commitment, reached after more than 18 months of negotiations, represents the first national restaurant commitment since Palomino agreed to come to Cincinnati in 1999, downtown officials said. And it is a vote of confidence none too late, as developers vie to attract entertainment and restaurant tenants to the redeveloping Fountain Square as well as to Carew Tower.

Read full article here:

http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2006/01/16/daily42.html

hey you'll like this place. here's a tip, skip dinner at this joint its just a dull looking chain. i have to agree with the zagats guide comment that says, "you could be in spokane or kansas city." so true. however, forget about the looks of the place i have to say they are known for their happy hours and they have thee very best happy hour in all of manhattan. besides the usual drinks specials the apps are all a dollar apiece and best of all any raw oysters they have available are only fifty cents each!!! i think they even repeat the happy hour again late night like 10pm to 11pm. so m&s is almost making me give up the grand central oyster bar when i have an oyster craving!

hey you'll like this place. here's a tip, skip dinner at this joint its just a dull looking chain. i have to agree with the zagats guide comment that says, "you could be in spokane or kansas city." so true. however, forget about the looks of the place i have to say they are known for their happy hours and they have thee very best happy hour in all of manhattan. besides the usual drinks specials the apps are all a dollar apiece and best of all any raw oysters they have available are only fifty cents each!!! i think they even repeat the happy hour again late night like 10pm to 11pm. so m&s is almost making me give up the grand central oyster bar when i have an oyster craving!

I go here alot after work or for lunch since it's right next to one of the offices.  You cant beat a three buck hamburger and the Happy Hour certainly is happy!  The insides are pretty generic to me, but some locations are worse than others.  I hope the cinci location isn't as bad as the DC, Atlanta , downtown LA or Houston locations.

We ate at the Forum Grill last night at Vernon Manor.  It is located in Midtown near Taft & Reading Road at 400 Oak Street. The restaurant dates back to 1924 and the hotel played a part in the movie Rain Main. 

The atmosphere had an old time feel that was pleasant but not too stuffy.  The wait staff were very nice and the food was priced reasonable.  I ordered the 10 oz New York Strip for $21 and it was cooked the way I asked for it.  The dessert menu had a large selection and there was a lounge that hosts live music in the back.

I would recommend the place and would go back again.

The Chart House is a small chain.  I have eaten at the one in Melbourne, Florida and always thought they were over priced for what the place was but maybe because I was in Melbourne and anything "high end" is over priced for that hole in the wall town.  I will have to try the Newport one.

BTW, can someone help this chain locate where Newport is located in Kentucky?  shesh...

http://www.chart-house.com/

ch-map2.gif

Thanks for posting this!  I'll have to check it out.

My husband and I stayed at the Vernon Manor Hotel on our wedding night.  It is a very neat hotel.  We haven't been there since, so checking out the Forum Grill would be a good reason to return.  :)

I have been to the bars in OTR many times, but I was wondering if there are family friendly restaurants in OTR that you can bring your kids to that are open during the day?  I am looking for a restaurant more so than just a bar/restaurant.  Outside of Findlay Market & Music Hall, my daughter hasn't seen much of OTR. 

During warm weather, The Courtyard is very family friendly.  But the inside does have a bar feel. Kaldi's would have to be the next closest. I can't think of anything unfriendly about it, especially when you sit on the coffee counter (as opposed to bar) side. The menu is a little limited, but most kids like quesadillas and they have those. Amazing carrot cake too. I don't think Kaldi's is open on Sunday. Harry's has decent pizza and is open during the day on weekdays, but I don't know about their weekend daytime hours.

Sadly, there aren't too many places to eat in OTR. I wouldn't consider Nicola's (too fine dining) or Cooper's (bar).

Monte, during the day, you might want to try Tucker's.  It is in a rough spot on Vine, but inside things are cool.  My kid wants fries when we go out.  Within walking distance that means Hamburger Mary's in the evening or skyline during the day.  Both are 3 blocks south of OTR.  Not much for kids in OTR.  Kaldi's can be too smoky, but I might give it another try with child in tow. 

Tuckers

Paula's & Mr Pig by the market

Charlie's Dunlap Cafe is a bar, but during the day it is more of a lunch place. The table by the door is the no smoking section. :-) Dunno what their weekend hours are. They have fries !

and an impressive beer can collection

Actually we have all been to Nicola's.  I forgot about that because it is on the pricey end and I was looking for an everyday affordable place.  Maybe something along the lines of "First Watch"...  We have also eaten at Hamburger Mary's for Sunday Brunch before and the food was really good but that is part of the CBD.  Is there not a little cafe or breakfast place in OTR besides a coffee house like Kaldi's?

Where is Tucker's located on Vine?  Between Central Parkway & Liberty?  I might be a little hesitant about going on a walk on Vine with my daughter.

Where is Charlie's Dunlap Cafe located in OTR?