Sign in to follow this  
Guest CornerCurve

Cleveland: Natural History Museum Renovation and Expansion

Former museum director Bruce Latimer once called the building’s main entrance a "brown hole," and said "it sucks all the energy out of you."

I agree with this 110%.

I think a "Welcome to Jurassic Park" gateway entrance or equivalent is in order.

First look: Cleveland Museum of Natural History $150 million expansion plan to commence in spring

CLEVELAND, Ohio - After nearly a decade of planning, design and redesign, the Cleveland Museum of Natural History will begin construction this spring on the first part of a five-year, three-phase, $150 million expansion and renovation.

The project is aimed at giving the nationally respected institution a sustainable, light-filled, high-tech home better suited to its mission and collections than the dowdy, architecturally dull, midcentury complex it occupies on Wade Oval, where it has grown through accretion since 1958.

"I think it's going to completely transform the experience of all of our visitors," Evalyn Gates, the museum's director since 2010, said of the expansion project in an interview Thursday.

"It will play a leading role on a national level in terms of what natural history museums can and should do for the public and the understanding of science."

Gates said about a third of the total project cost has been raised so far, (up from $39 million last year) and that the museum has cash in hand to start the $20 million first phase, which includes construction of a 300-space parking garage off East Boulevard on the north side of the complex and a new Perkins Wildlife Center on its south side, off Jeptha Drive.

The cost of the project will be $25 million more than estimated three years ago.

Designed by the nationally respected Denver architecture firm of Fentress Architects, with a team of consultants on exhibits, sustainability and other specialties, the project will involve tearing down about a fifth of the museum's existing, 230,000-square-foot complex, and then rebuilding and expanding the footprint.

http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2015/02/first_look_cleveland_museum_of.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Wow!  I never heard a peep about this project.  The long term expansion reminds me of the art museums undertaking from 2006 to 2012.  This is great!

MANY more graphics here:

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2015/03202015/index.php

City Planning Commission

Agenda for March 20, 2015

C2015-004 – Cleveland Natural History Museum New Construction: Seeking Schematic Design Approval for Perkins Wildlife Center and Conceptual Approval for Phase 1 of the Entire Project

Project Address: 1 Wade Oval Drive

Project Representative: Laura Rees, AECOM

Natural_History_Museum_01.jpg

Natural_History_Museum_02.jpg

Natural_History_Museum_03.jpg

Natural_History_Museum_12.jpg

Natural_History_Museum_13.jpg

"Save the planet. Move to the city." -- The Downtowner podcast

^ Where will they put my beloved Stegosaurus?

Second graphic, labeled "steggie".

EDIT: steggie has been there since I was a little kid and in my dinosaur phase. Of course, I'm old enough that my "dinosaur phase" involved running from the carnivores and hunting the herbivores! :)

Steven Litt ‏@steven_litt  3m3 minutes ago

Despite qualms, @goCMNH expansion plans wins design review approval: http://bit.ly/1HxANDk  @inthecircle

Cleveland Museum of Natural History breaks ground on $20M Phase I of $150M expansion

Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Wearing white hard hats, dignitaries including Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson dipped shiny shovels into a trough of mulch on Monday and officially "broke ground" on the $20 million first phase of the Cleveland Museum of Natural History's expansion and renovation.

Scheduled for completion in 2020, the year of the museum's centennial, the project will cost $150 million, of which $50 million has been raised so far.

The first phase of the project will involve moving the museum's Perkins Wildlife Center from the north side of the institution's complex to a wooded hillside on the south side along Jeptha Drive.

http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2015/06/cleveland_museum_of_natural_hi_2.html

EUCLID CORRIDOR DESIGN REVIEW

EC2015-028 – Cleveland Museum of Natural History Parking Garage New Construction: Seeking Final Approval

Project Address: 1 Wade Oval Drive

Project Representatives: Chris Kaczmar, Kaczmar Architects

Dave Kaplan, Kaczmar Architects

Bill Mason, AECOM

Sonia Jakse-Barone, AECOM

The above project was Tabled by the Design Review Committee on 9/17/15 and Withdrawn for this meeting.

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2015/09182015/index.php

The above project was Tabled by the Design Review Committee on 9/17/15 and Withdrawn for this meeting.

Just in case you missed that on the bottom

Same here. I'm just guessing no action was taken.

Regardless, the plans are posted. I like that they are proposing a solar panel/roof system for the garage

I drove by there last week and was quite surprised at the progress. Very nice to see the pachyderms out in the light again.

And what's the roller coaster about???

We stopped by the Museum at this past week's Wade Oval Wednesday and got a glimpse of the model as well as current progress. This is going to be so sweet when finished in 2020.

28785260515_15da3beb4b_c.jpg

28785261995_c0ae381985_c.jpg

28785262555_d67a14d505_c.jpg

28785260395_3171bf193c_c.jpg

28785261355_574383f9a0_c.jpg

28785261005_f5481fb0b2_c.jpg

New Perkins Wildlife Center Grand Opening

Grand Opening Weekend Saturday, September 3-Monday, September 5

Posted: August 01, 2016

The Cleveland Museum of Natural History is proud to announce the grand opening of the all-new Ralph Perkins II Wildlife Center & Woods Garden — Presented by KeyBank. The first addition to the Museum from its Centennial Transformation Project opens to the public Labor Day Weekend.

Museum guests can experience Perkins Wildlife Center free with general admission, though timed ticket reservations are required during Grand Opening Weekend Saturday, September 3 through Monday, September 5. The Museum and Perkins will be open from 10am-5pm all three days.

https://www.cmnh.org/announcements/perkins-grand-opening-weekend

Very curious to know what's going on this renovation in light of this unfortunate news of CEO Evelyn Gates resigning.  This project needs to be a game-changer for generations to come.

Anyone hearing anything??

Evalyn Gates leaves Cleveland Museum of Natural History after 7 years as director over differences on project

Updated Dec 6, 6:41 PM; Posted Dec 6, 1:38 PM

By Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Evalyn Gates, the executive director and CEO of the Cleveland Museum of Natural History since 2010, has left her position after having differed with board members over how best to proceed on its partially finished $150 million expansion and renovation.

"We all agreed this would be the right thing to do," Gates said of her decision.

She added, "I will use the word painful," when asked how it felt to leave the museum.

The museum's news release said an interim head will be named soon, and the search for the next CEO is to begin immediately.

Leaders of the institution said Wednesday night they are re-evaluating the expansion project's scope, size, content and technology because some of the plans date back to 2010-2011 and need to be updated.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/12/evalyn_gates_leaves_cleveland.html

This is the most ridiculous story I've ever seen.  Digging into it, it looks like my state tax dollars as a Clevelander also went to help support such thrilling things as a park and parking garage improvements in Franklin county last year.  Who do I complain to about this?

http://obm.ohio.gov/Budget/capital/doc/fy-17-18/County_Report_FY17-18_Summary.pdf (pdf)

This is total BS. When you look at the 3 most populous counties in the state, you'll notice that Franklin counties budget appropriation for 2017-2018 is $249,708,429, followed by Hamilton county (Cincinnati) at $72,820,786 and Cuyahoga county (Cleveland) at $67,757,303. I know that Cuyahoga county's population is larger that Hamilton county. Please someone correct me but isn't Cuyahoga county one of the largest tax revenue generators for the State of Ohio?

It really is laughable, especially that Lawson guy saying why is someone in Westerville paying for this in Cleveland. Well, why is someone in Cleveland helping to pay for a $4million park in Columbus? Why is Franklin County getting almost $250 million while the rest of the state gets fractions of that? Cherry picking ignorance.

If you talk to the Buckeye Institute, they'd also say that residents of Strongsville should not be paying for COSI in Columbus. They do not like the capital budget community projects as policy.

NBC 4 made it a story of Columbus v. Cleveland, when it really isn't that at all.

The tepid defense of the cap spending in that piece (that it's for economic development) is also silly. There's nothing wrong with spending state money on high quality regional educational amenities for their own sake!

New design for natural history museum expansion evokes glaciers and waters of Great Lakes

CLEVELAND, Ohio – The glacier that carved the Cuyahoga Valley melted about 10,000 years ago. But it’s returning, at least in fragmentary form, in a new vision for the renovation and expansion of the Cleveland Museum of Natural History.

Renderings of the revamped and more modest project, which the museum is unveiling today, call for a new exhibit wing with a curvy, flowing, snow-white roof and glassy facades with horizontal sun baffles resembling waves on water when viewed from a distance.

https:/www.cleveland.com/arts/2019/06/new-design-for-natural-history-museum-expansion-evokes-glaciers-and-waters-of-great-lakes.html

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Potamus said:

New design for natural history museum expansion evokes glaciers and waters of Great Lakes

CLEVELAND, Ohio – The glacier that carved the Cuyahoga Valley melted about 10,000 years ago. But it’s returning, at least in fragmentary form, in a new vision for the renovation and expansion of the Cleveland Museum of Natural History.

Renderings of the revamped and more modest project, which the museum is unveiling today, call for a new exhibit wing with a curvy, flowing, snow-white roof and glassy facades with horizontal sun baffles resembling waves on water when viewed from a distance.

https:/www.cleveland.com/arts/2019/06/new-design-for-natural-history-museum-expansion-evokes-glaciers-and-waters-of-great-lakes.html

This looks great.  The design is much improved from the previous iteration released in 2017.

• Like 1