zaceman

Cleveland: Festivals, Music Concerts, & Events

Just learned of this; could be interesting: 

Undesign the Redline

"Starting July 12th, you’re invited to join us and experience the Undesign the Redline Exhibit at our administrative offices at 4019 Prospect Ave. in Cleveland. Undesign the Redline is an interactive exhibit exploring the history of race, class and U.S. housing policy, and how this legacy of inequity and exclusion continues to shape our communities. The exhibit seeks to spark a public discourse on how discriminatory federal policies from the 1930s continue to impact Cleveland neighborhoods today."

https://www.ywcaofcleveland.org/undesign-the-redline/

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 10:53 AM, Pugu said:

Just learned of this; could be interesting: 

Undesign the Redline

"Starting July 12th, you’re invited to join us and experience the Undesign the Redline Exhibit at our administrative offices at 4019 Prospect Ave. in Cleveland. Undesign the Redline is an interactive exhibit exploring the history of race, class and U.S. housing policy, and how this legacy of inequity and exclusion continues to shape our communities. The exhibit seeks to spark a public discourse on how discriminatory federal policies from the 1930s continue to impact Cleveland neighborhoods today."

https://www.ywcaofcleveland.org/undesign-the-redline/

I've visited it; and it's worth attending. Many of us who are history nerds may already be familiar with a lot of the topics that are mentioned (redlining, covenants, zoning, etc) but it's worth going. You could spend anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours depending on how much reading that you want to do.

Edited by skorasaurus

How Cleveland became center of Content Marketing World

Today 5:00 AM

By Mary Kilpatrick, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Content marketing reimagines the relationship between companies and their customers. And each September, Cleveland becomes the center of the booming industry — an orange-hued hub of learning, networking and fun — during Content Marketing World, the largest recurring business-to-business event in Cleveland.

The 9th annual conference, Sept. 3-6 at Cleveland’s Huntington Convention Center, is expected to generate about $3 million in economic impact, with attendees from at least 49 countries.

Top national brands like Marriott, Microsoft, Dell and Walmart send talent. Big names like Tina Fey, William Shatner and, this year, Mindy Kaling give the keynote.

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2019/08/how-cleveland-became-center-of-content-marketing-world.html

Looks like a cool event. Cross-posted in the 'I Love CLE' thread as well.

THE LEVIN COLLEGE FORUM - CSU

LEGACY CITIES: CONTINUITY AND CHANGE AMID DECLINE AND REVIVAL

BOOK RELEASE FORUM

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 2019  |  4 - 6 PM

Legacy cities, also commonly referred to as shrinking, or post-industrial cities, are places that have experienced sustained population loss and economic contraction. In the United States, legacy cities are those that are largely within the Rust Belt that thrived during the first half of the 20th century. In the second half of the century, these cities declined in economic power and population leaving a legacy of housing stock, warehouse districts, and infrastructure that is ripe for revitalization. This volume explores not only the commonalities across legacy cities in terms of industrial heritage and population decline, but also their differences. Legacy Cities poses the questions: What are the legacies of legacy cities? How do these legacies drive contemporary urban policy, planning and decision-making? And, what are the prospects for the future of these cities? Contributors primarily focus on Cleveland, Ohio, but all Rust Belt cities are discussed.

Open to the public and free to attend.
The Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs - CSU
Roberta Steinbacher Atrium
1717 Euclid Avenue | Cleveland, OH 44115

• Sad 1

On 8/27/2019 at 10:42 AM, Pugu said:

Looks like a cool event. Cross-posted in the 'I Love CLE' thread as well.

THE LEVIN COLLEGE FORUM - CSU

LEGACY CITIES: CONTINUITY AND CHANGE AMID DECLINE AND REVIVAL

BOOK RELEASE FORUM

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 2019  |  4 - 6 PM

Legacy cities, also commonly referred to as shrinking, or post-industrial cities, are places that have experienced sustained population loss and economic contraction. In the United States, legacy cities are those that are largely within the Rust Belt that thrived during the first half of the 20th century. In the second half of the century, these cities declined in economic power and population leaving a legacy of housing stock, warehouse districts, and infrastructure that is ripe for revitalization. This volume explores not only the commonalities across legacy cities in terms of industrial heritage and population decline, but also their differences. Legacy Cities poses the questions: What are the legacies of legacy cities? How do these legacies drive contemporary urban policy, planning and decision-making? And, what are the prospects for the future of these cities? Contributors primarily focus on Cleveland, Ohio, but all Rust Belt cities are discussed.

Open to the public and free to attend.
The Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs - CSU
Roberta Steinbacher Atrium
1717 Euclid Avenue | Cleveland, OH 44115

Ah! I missed this, did you attend?

^I had it on my calendar so I wouldn't miss it. But then I had a schedule conflict and couldn't make it. I hope they video taped it---I know they video at least some of the forums held at that space.

legacy cities cities seems like a better way to put it than shrinking/post-industrial/rust-belt cities. glad to see that. the latter seem like very out-dated terms.

Halloween on the USS Cod---one weekend only!

"Cleveland’s only submarine is open for Halloween.

The USS Cod, docked on Cleveland’s North Coast Harbor, 1201 N. Marginal Road, will open Friday, Oct. 18 from 7 to 11 p.m and Saturday, Oct. 19 from 6 to 11 p.m. to share true stories of the Cod’s adventures.

The stories are told below desks while the topside gun crew searches Cleveland harbor for the “Lake Erie Monster.”...."

https://www.cleveland19.com/2019/10/03/halloween-tours-oct-clevelands-submarine-uss-cod/

Legendary singer José Feliciano to headline this weekend’s Convención Hispana 2019.

"The event, put on every three years by the Hispanic Roundtable, focuses on education, empowerment, health, and workforce and economic development. The convention includes a job fair, health screenings, educational workshops, community resource tables, food, and activities for kids. Feliciano, the Grammy-winning singer, is the keynote speaker and will be interviewed by Feliciano, the chairman of the Hispanic Roundtable. The singer will also perform some of his famous songs."

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2019/10/legendary-singer-jose-feliciano-to-headline-this-weekends-convencion-hispana-2019.html

44 minutes ago, freefourur said:

^ Wayyyyyy out in the boondocks.  

I'm not a fan of the location, but it's probably less out in the boondocks than the old LarueLive location (Novelty in Geauga County).

Edited by jam40jeff
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, jam40jeff said:

I'm not a fan of the location, but it's probably less out in the boondocks than the old LarueLive location (Novelty in Geauga County).

i was just teasing the Lake County native. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 4:46 PM, freefourur said:

i was just teasing the Lake County native. 

Ha, I see that now.  I shouldn't have quoted you as I more had in mind the Scene article I had just read complaining about how far out the location is.  It's not like LaureLive was in the city limits, haha.

19 hours ago, jam40jeff said:

Ha, I see that now.  I shouldn't have quoted you as I more had in mind the Scene article I had just read complaining about how far out the location is.  It's not like LaureLive was in the city limits, haha.

I'm wondering if someone from urbanohio provided these comments on cleveland.com😅

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2020/01/wonderstruck-becomes-clevelands-marquee-music-fest-with-epic-lineup.html

Mumbles

3 days ago

"Wonderstruck in Cleveland" is in Kirtland? Half an hour away, by Mentor? Who came up with that dumb idea, Cleveland.com? How dumb.

Collinwoodup2nogood

3 days ago

This is hardly a Cleveland festival when it's not even in the same county as Cleveland. Lol I guess even the music artists prefer the suburbs over Cleveland proper. Don't blame them.

59 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

I'm wondering if someone from urbanohio provided these comments on cleveland.com😅

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2020/01/wonderstruck-becomes-clevelands-marquee-music-fest-with-epic-lineup.html

Mumbles

3 days ago

"Wonderstruck in Cleveland" is in Kirtland? Half an hour away, by Mentor? Who came up with that dumb idea, Cleveland.com? How dumb.

Collinwoodup2nogood

3 days ago

This is hardly a Cleveland festival when it's not even in the same county as Cleveland. Lol I guess even the music artists prefer the suburbs over Cleveland proper. Don't blame them.

Doubtful on the second one. Collinwoodup2nogood is a huge troll who thinks the entire city of Cleveland is the ghetto. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KFM44107 said:

Doubtful on the second one. Collinwoodup2nogood is a huge troll who thinks the entire city of Cleveland is the ghetto. 

lol I guess I should have known better on the second one, since anyone saying anything even remotely positive about the suburbs here is as rare as a blue moon.😧

Sofar Sounds turns up the volume to make Cleveland a full-time city

Jen Jones Donatelli - Jan. 29, 2020

"...Cleveland will become one of Sofar Sounds’ “full-time” cities starting in February—making the city one of just 27 full-time cities out of 444 total Sofar spots around the world. The designation will ramp up the amount of shows from one or two to at least 10 each month. Designed as intimate performances held in unconventional venues, each Sofar Sounds show features a lineup of three acts playing four songs each."

Link: https://www.freshwatercleveland.com/street-level/sofarsounds012920.aspx

Upcoming Sofar Sounds events in CLE: https://www.sofarsounds.com/cleveland

image.thumb.png.60206f2ec46f6d2542bed6a302a731f7.png

Edited by NorthShore647
  • Like 1