Steele05

Cleveland: Retail News

22 hours ago, Htsguy said:

Ted Baker would be great.  Are there actually any in Ohio?

unfortunately, i think ted baker is really struggling lately and has been cutting back.

they closed up shops in soho and in the meatpacking out here in ny.

a shame, i actually liked shopping there a lot.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/dec/10/ted-baker-chief-quits-profits-fashion-retailer

Lots of activity at Beachwood mall today.  Here's what I saw:

• H&M is taking a massive amount of space.  On the first floor, they're taking over Pottery Barn and the vacancy to the left of Coach.  On the second floor, they're taking the small vacancy to the right of Lenscrafters, the former Abercrombie space, and the former Buckle location.
  • Carter's is moving into the long-vacant space between Coach and Microsoft.
    • With the above tenants, the entire Nordstrom wing will be occupied.
  • JD Sports is taking all of Gap.
  • Journeyz Kidz is taking over Baby Gap.
  • Baja Bistro is filling the last spot in the food court.
  • Unless it's a yet-to-be-announced store, it looks like Zumiez is going in between Vans and Ashcroft & Oak, taking the old Sperry space and the other neighboring vacancy (interesting placement next to a competitor in Vans).

The only question I have is regarding H&M.  On the construction wall, there was no "H&M Home" branding.  It only said "Mens, Womens, and Kids."  Either the clothing part of H&M is relocating to the new space and they will renovate the current location into H&M Home, the new space is H&M Home and the current clothing location will stay put, or the new space will be both combined (one concept on each floor).

The only real notable vacancies left at Beachwood (not counting the restaurant spaces) are the old Hollister location, the old Gap Kids, and the three continuous spaces between Zales and Visionworks.

Edited by SgtBarone
  • Like 1

Piggybacking off that comment I took a couple of pictures. This is a HUGE chunk of space it has to be both stores. I'd imagine the clothing at the top looking like the Crocker Park store and H&M Home at the bottom. It makes sense to place it next to a department store as well. My predictions were right! 😂

IMG_20200207_181658.jpg

IMG_20200207_182023.jpg

IMG_20200207_182215.jpg

Edited by MyPhoneDead
  • Like 1

OK. Beachwood... Assuming H&M Home is located within the new, larger H&M store, which all signs point to, it would seem the front of mall H&M location (from which H&M was probably coaxed with a great deal, to a less visible space)  + old Maggiano's space almost have to be earmarked for something especially based on the leaked email upthread... Maggiano's is approx 17,000 sf on two floors and the current H&M is probably the better part of that same size = 30,000+ combined sf.

So, is the mall blowing out the front to, say, build a streetscape, but hasn't announced it yet?  Is a Dave&Busters or similar moving in? Is a RH/RestorationHardware 35,000 sf mansion being added to the front - similar to the one in past renderings for the Richmond side?

What's up???? This like at another Brookfield property?  https://www.northbrookcourt.com/en/visit/redevelopment.html

Edited by eyehrtfood
  • Like 2

I was about to say with such a big store maybe H&M would bring in some of the Swedish Brand "Cheap Monday" they owned, but after googling it, it looks they killed it off. It was more mid market better made stuff than H&M. They still have COS (Council of Style) which is the better brand.

Edited by metrocity

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

20 minutes ago, KJP said:

This will be a nice addition. Though the main entrance for the Justice Center is on the other end the Police Headquarters entrance is on the Ontario side and that's the entrance most of us use at lunch. On top of that, the Marriot and Key Center aren't far from there, and the non descript building to the east of The Standard has quite a few police and county workers in it as well. I wish this project success. 

• Like 1

On a side note. I've always been surprised that a bar hasn't occupied that building. It's across the street from a building filled with county workers, attorneys, sherriffs, and cops. Can't think of a better built in clientele for a bar.  

• Haha 1

15 years ago, talk of a downtown grocery store/market would have lit up Urban Ohio. Now, apparently it's like "cool...cool...."

• Like 2

My apologies if this was already reported, but I believe Pier 1 in Legacy is closed/closing

Edited by TBideon
Retail nightmare

52 minutes ago, TBideon said:

My apologies if this was already reported, but I believe Pier 1 in Legacy is closed/closing

This is one of the 450 stores they are closing, nationwide.

If Pottery Barn kids was going to move to Pinecrest I would have assumed they would have moved there first and kept this location open until then like they did with their regular Pottery Barn and their William Sonoma?

16 minutes ago, originaljbw said:

Yeah I'm done shopping at the Big Bird

I wish they would go out of business and a REAL chain would move in.  

• Like 1

I'm very surprised that some of the vacant retail locations downtown aren't occupied by Verizon, Sprint, AT&T,  T- Mobile, Cricket or other wireless carriers. They and banks, restaurants/bars are usually the first retail establishments to occupy vacancies. They can easily cater to the neighborhood and the downtown workers.

Edited by Frmr CLEder
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

I'm very surprised that some of the vacant retail locations downtown aren't occupied by Verizon, Sprint, AT&T,  T- Mobile, Cricket or other wireless carriers. They and banks, restaurants/bars are usually the first retail establishments to occupy vacancies. They can easily cater to the neighborhood and the downtown workers.

What rents are being asked by landlords?

3 hours ago, Frmr CLEder said:

Metro PCS has a pretty big footprint downtown - Terminal Tower and the 5th street arcade. I wish Verizon or Sprint would follow suit. The space on E9th and Euclid is perfect for a wireless carrier that's higher end the Metro PCS. Just not sure about the rent. Why do these landlords not negotiate their rent when their spaces remain vacant for years on end?

56 minutes ago, AsDustinFoxWouldSay said:

Metro PCS has a pretty big footprint downtown - Terminal Tower and the 5th street arcade. I wish Verizon or Sprint would follow suit. The space on E9th and Euclid is perfect for a wireless carrier that's higher end the Metro PCS. Just not sure about the rent. Why do these landlords not negotiate their rent when their spaces remain vacant for years on end?

https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2018/6/5/whats-up-with-all-those-empty-commercial-storefronts-in-new-mixed-use-developments

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

New Crocker Park 2/20 brochure on their website shows the area's first (that we know of) Amazon store - one of their "4 -star" locations (all products 4 star rating or higher...). Wouldn't be surprised to see an Amazon Books store (their other non-food store concept) end up on east side. 

• Like 1

^ its a good idea that we had discussed on the old cle ikea thread.

it's like a modern version of the old sears or jcpenneys catalog stores.

i guess everything old is new again.

• Like 1

I mean, eCommerce is basically the catalog store format, just online. Amazon had some of their pop-up stores a while back that was basically a catalog store with some products on display.

• Like 1

• Like 1

Columbus-based coworking firm COhatch is building out a 10,000 sq ft space at Legacy Village by the end of 2020 in the former Charming Charlie space.  10 locations planned in northeast Ohio, along with others in Easton Town Center and Dublin.

But my favorite quote is, "Many of the sites targeted for the other nine Cleveland-area locations will be in 'walkable urban areas requiring revitalization and building restoration that honors the history and architecture of each space,' the company said."

https://www.crainscleveland.com/real-estate/columbus-area-firm-cohatch-hatches-plan-10-coworking-spaces-cleveland-area

Edited by SgtBarone
  • Like 1