Jump to content
Steele05

Cleveland: Retail News

Recommended Posts

Savile Lane is actually still open, they are just by appointment only. They have another (main) location in Fairlawn. The vacant spaces will fill as they always do. The shops definitely cater to tourists and the business lunch crowd because that is who shops downtown at the moment. 

 

What a lot of people don't realize is that the building is intentionally designed to be a great place for small retail businesses to get a start. The square footage is relatively small and the rates are reportedly more than fair. Not to mention, every single business is locally owned and operated and you are normally talking to the owner when you walk in. What other city has an in-tact, historic, one of a kind shopping center that is entirely full of locally owned and operated businesses? It's a pretty remarkable place that is consistently overlooked in favor of the many larger shopping centers with recognizable brands that exist in the suburbs. 

 

I definitely agree that the variety of shops could be better, but it's just such a unique asset that adds to the historic charm of the city. There are also some great little shops and, in my opinion, the customer service at a local shop will always be better than what you get at larger stores. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it was meant more as a retail incubator, as well.  So a certain amount of churn is to be expected and healthy.  The question is are these retailers moving up or shaking out?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For sure. I know a lot of the retailers have moved around in the building, which also makes it look like more turnover is occurring. The main anchors have been pretty consistent and seem to do well overall. The newest crop were mostly the people who kept weird hours, so I can’t say I’m surprised they ended up closing. I think some have also decided to focus on their online presence, which is definitely understandable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Abercrombie and Buckle also closed at Beachwood Place? How did I miss that.

 

Just terrible. 

 

And poor Gap, Baby Gap, Godiva and soon Pottery Barn. Jesus wept.

Edited by TBideon
Retail nightmare

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, this is starting off to be a pretty bad year for Beachwood Place. Every year I hope we will hear something big after the NRF conference of new stores coming, but every year lately has been silence (this year too it looks like, since its now come and gone). What is Brookfield doing? The last thing announced was that outdoor movie screen area/connection to La Place. That's too small scale, in my opinion, not to mention is was announced some time ago now, without any movement. They need to be thinking big. This should be a premier property still, especially with the anchors it has. Beachwood Place is still my preferred shopping center, especially in the winter, but even I'm starting to get sick of what Brookfield is (not) doing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The old Hollister is a big fat empty space too. Plus whatever was above Victoria Secret. Plus whatever was next to Swarovski (I miss the Sony store).

 

And still no tenants at the two restaurants. 

 

Is Forever 21 leaving too? I'm shocked they're still open. 

 

Also, there's something very odd about how Akira was built and extends into that wing. Did it absorb another space but then close off the back areas? It does feel somewhat claustrophobic inside. 

 

Just to balance all of that, Nervous Dog is my favorite east side coffee shop (cest les vie Coffee Phix and Phoenix), and the staff are great kids. I hope it succeeds. 

Edited by TBideon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PoshSteve said:

Wow, this is starting off to be a pretty bad year for Beachwood Place. Every year I hope we will hear something big after the NRF conference of new stores coming, but every year lately has been silence (this year too it looks like, since its now come and gone). What is Brookfield doing? The last thing announced was that outdoor movie screen area/connection to La Place. That's too small scale, in my opinion, not to mention is was announced some time ago now, without any movement. They need to be thinking big. This should be a premier property still, especially with the anchors it has. Beachwood Place is still my preferred shopping center, especially in the winter, but even I'm starting to get sick of what Brookfield is (not) doing.

Yea, I'd argue the decline at Beachwood is happening faster than the declines I've witnessed of Severance, Euclid, Randall and Richmond! Was there today and noticed Buckle and Abercrombie gone. The retail environment is one thing, but the more upscale places have been a bit more resilient. A little shocking for the highest end mall in the city and the only traditional mall to serve the bulk of the east side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was at Beachwood Place last (Sat) night 7-8 pm - and it was depressing. Few customers (made worse by teenager ban). Many recently vacant or soon-to-be stores. No visible effort by owner to do anything about it.

Beginning to worry about future of the anchors now.

 

This place needs pressure or offer of investment by Beachwood city, if anything, as they have much to lose. Mall needs a big jolt of re-development, big-name tenants, and a super-strong PR campaign to bring customers back. 

 

I remind myself that if Eton can go from a nearly vacant center to a seemingly strong, upscale center that has kept going 15 years in current form, then a stronger mall like Beachwood sure can turn it around. But they need a plan...

Edited by eyehrtfood
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the other hand, I went to Beachwood Place for the second time in my life last October and the first time since the 1980s. I went with my wife who was looking for a purse. She didn't find what she was looking for, so this second visit to Beachwood Place in my life ended without a purchase.

 

On the other hand, I've been to La Place, Legacy Village, Eton Collection, Pavilion and Pinecrest more often.


"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve often wondered if things continue at this rate at Beachwood if Nordstrom or Saks would ever jump ship and move to the west side (like Crocker Park area) ...?  Maybe not a valid concern but always been a thought in my mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, mrclifton88 said:

I’ve often wondered if things continue at this rate at Beachwood if Nordstrom or Saks would ever jump ship and move to the west side (like Crocker Park area) ...?  Maybe not a valid concern but always been a thought in my mind. 

 

I'll bet Nordstrom goes to Eton or Pinecrest instead.


"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JSC216 said:


They’d probably leave the region before opening downtown. 

 

In Indianapolis, Nordstrom moved from a failing downtown mail to the suburbs maybe 10 years ago - so stores have moved in recent years in Midwest just the opposite way.  Indy's suburbs booming in a way CLE wouldn't understand.

 

I think Beachwood Place just going through a rough retail time when many chains closing some or all stores + a few perhaps underperforming stores specific to this mall (as has every mall)  - but just hitting all at once = perception isn't a good one. 

 

I'd think the anchors are OK (Nord more than Saks) but would think they'd have concerns and demand some action by mall owners. I could see Saks closing in the market if things remained bad. I could see Nord relocating... though Pinecrest is only east side current shopping where it would fit.

 

Note: Saks already cut stor size by 5K-10K SF when it closed the in-mall sections mayne 5-7 years ago. Also, Nordstrom Beachwood is big by current new Nord store standards.... 3 floors and around 210K SF if I recall when current Nord prototype is 2 floors and 140K SF (Cbus, PIT, Indy)

 

I could see Crocker being a second store but not the only store if Nordstrom ever moved.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, eyehrtfood said:

 

In Indianapolis, Nordstrom moved from a failing downtown mail to the suburbs maybe 10 years ago - so stores have moved in recent years in Midwest just the opposite way.  Indy's suburbs booming in a way CLE wouldn't understand.

 

I think Beachwood Place just going through a rough retail time when many chains closing some or all stores + a few perhaps underperforming stores specific to this mall (as has every mall)  - but just hitting all at once = perception isn't a good one. 

 

I'd think the anchors are OK (Nord more than Saks) but would think they'd have concerns and demand some action by mall owners. I could see Saks closing in the market if things remained bad. I could see Nord relocating... though Pinecrest is only east side current shopping where it would fit.

 

Note: Saks already cut stor size by 5K-10K SF when it closed the in-mall sections mayne 5-7 years ago. Also, Nordstrom Beachwood is big by current new Nord store standards.... 3 floors and around 210K SF if I recall when current Nord prototype is 2 floors and 140K SF (Cbus, PIT, Indy)

 

I could see Crocker being a second store but not the only store if Nordstrom ever moved.

 

 

 

 

 

Indianapolis has places like Carmel, where much of my family lives. But I think culturally there's a difference, though, too. Indianapolis' "yuppies" are moving to Carmel and a handful of other suburbs, where walkability is still an option but, to be frank, there's less diversity. 

 

I think the trend in Cleveland retail is starkly different from that of Indy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eyehrtfood said:

 Indy's suburbs booming in a way CLE wouldn't understand.

 

 

Please explain! I know nothing about Indianapolis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, YABO713 said:

 

Indianapolis has places like Carmel, where much of my family lives. But I think culturally there's a difference, though, too. Indianapolis' "yuppies" are moving to Carmel and a handful of other suburbs, where walkability is still an option but, to be frank, there's less diversity. 

 

I think the trend in Cleveland retail is starkly different from that of Indy. 

 

I'm from Indiana. My 4 siblings and most of their kids live in Carmel/adjacent - which I once thought I'd like - but don't. They live their lives within an area about 3 miles this way and that way - rarely venturing outside -  because everything they need they feel is in that perfect little Carmel strip mall box. They are adding much retail but Indy is the king of bad/abandoned strip malls. 

 

 

Edited by eyehrtfood
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know when Peterson's nuts closed downtown? It looks like King nut moved Peterson's to their headquarters and now their website barely even mentions them. I'll miss Peterson's before Indians games...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen anything directly related to the Cleveland location and I cannot recall if this location is one that is run by Kroger

 

 

Lucky’s Closing 32 Stores, Laying Off Associates

 

In what appears to be a developing story, on the heels of The Kroger Co.'s decision to divest its interest in Lucky’s Market, the Boulder, Colo.-based natural food retailer is apparently planning to shutter as many as 32 of its 39 stores in 10 states and lay off the staffs of the affected locations, according to a burst of social media messages, various local news reports and a source with knowledge of the matter.

 

Continue reading here: https://progressivegrocer.com/luckys-closing-32-stores-laying-associates

 

Also from USAToday: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/01/21/luckys-market-store-closings-colorado-chain-closing-stores/4531859002/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yikes! That would be a big blow... must be some serious mis-management because the Cleveland location is always busy.  

 

If it does close, I can only hope that another grocer wants to fill the space. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ML11 said:

Yikes! That would be a big blow... must be some serious mis-management because the Cleveland location is always busy.  

 

If it does close, I can only hope that another grocer wants to fill the space. 

Please not Giant Eagle.  Please not Giant Eagle.  Please....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Giant Eagle had a store on the property previously, then shut it down to drive people to the larger store at W117 and I-90, and then actively fought to keep any competing grocers out. 

 

At the very least, I hope Lucky's has demonstrated to other grocers (hello Heinens or Trader Joe's?) that there are more than enough customers in the area who want an alternative to Giant Eagle.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ML11 said:

I thought Giant Eagle had a store on the property previously, then shut it down to drive people to the larger store at W117 and I-90, and then actively fought to keep any competing grocers out. 

 

At the very least, I hope Lucky's has demonstrated to other grocers (hello Heinens or Trader Joe's?) that there are more than enough customers in the area who want an alternative to Giant Eagle.  


Both of those brands are limited to higher end markets, especially Trader Joe’s which has insane market requirements. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, musky said:

I haven't seen anything directly related to the Cleveland location and I cannot recall if this location is one that is run by Kroger

 

 

Lucky’s Closing 32 Stores, Laying Off Associates

 

In what appears to be a developing story, on the heels of The Kroger Co.'s decision to divest its interest in Lucky’s Market, the Boulder, Colo.-based natural food retailer is apparently planning to shutter as many as 32 of its 39 stores in 10 states and lay off the staffs of the affected locations, according to a burst of social media messages, various local news reports and a source with knowledge of the matter.

 

Continue reading here: https://progressivegrocer.com/luckys-closing-32-stores-laying-associates

 

Also from USAToday: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/01/21/luckys-market-store-closings-colorado-chain-closing-stores/4531859002/

 

Ouch. Those odds are not good. That Lucky's is better than Trader Joes. And a million times better than Giant Eagle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in Lakewood and received a flyer from Lucky's in the mail which had discounts for each week. Something like 20% off for one week and other discounts for other weeks. I thought it might be a sign that we aren't doing well.  But who knows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JSC216 said:


Both of those brands are limited to higher end markets, especially Trader Joe’s which has insane market requirements. 

 

if I may put in my 2 cents: the irony of Trader Joe's is that it is not very expensive. In fact, on staples, the store brands are actually cheaper (in some case much more so) than established supermarket chains. There's a reason TJ stores are always so busy! I see people who appear to be from a very wide variety of demographic groups shopping there whenever I go (unlike Whole Foods, for example🙄). I still cannot understand why there aren't more in Ohio, especially in the 3C's. I think at least two more could be added in the Cleveland area alone. But I do know (probably from past info on this website) that they do have strict "market requirements," as you put it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, freefourur said:

I live in Lakewood and received a flyer from Lucky's in the mail which had discounts for each week. Something like 20% off for one week and other discounts for other weeks. I thought it might be a sign that we aren't doing well.  But who knows. 

 

I don't think that's the case, they've been sending discount flyers out (at least in my neighborhood) since they've opened. Heinens doesn't mail them, but they post discounts on their site weekly. It's common practice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So....

 

  • Like 9
  • Love 2

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Clefan98 said:

 

I don't think that's the case, they've been sending discount flyers out (at least in my neighborhood) since they've opened. Heinens doesn't mail them, but they post discounts on their site weekly. It's common practice.

Good to hear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite the rapid number of closures at Beachwood over the last couple months, I'm optimistic that they'll be able to fill at least the smaller spaces fairly quickly.  New York & Company and Akira moved in not long after J. Crew and the other tenant vacated.  I could see fast-growing brands like Aerie or even Hollister's Gilly Hicks coming to Beachwood.  Mall ownership has said numerous times over the years how they've had to turn away prospective tenants due to such a high occupancy rate.  With spaces of all sizes now available, here's their chance.

Edited by SgtBarone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 4

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in there tonight. Talked to one of their managers. He said their store has outperformed their numbers every quarter they’ve been open. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more coming blow to Beachwood Place: the Papyrus card/gift store is closing all nationwide stores - so the upper level will soon have another vacancy..

 

Also, the Hanna Andersson kids clothing store recently closed - though appears the Crocker Park location staying open... another not-good sign...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

  • Like 2

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huge relief that it's staying open, and glad to hear that it's doing so well (which I'd expect given the crowds I see there all the time.)

 

Also nice to see it outperforming other locations throughout the country, although it doesn't take a genius to know that you should never go up against Publix in Florida. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...