Steele05

Cleveland: Retail News

The retail/services component of the Galleria is being forced into something whcih must survive on its connections.... which are vast considering it is directly connected to Erieview Tower and has underground connections to the AJC building and One Cleveland Center.  I would guess that at least 95% of the traffic in the galeria is coming from or going to the surrounding office space 

yeah there will probably need to be more of the avenue and other new residential/office development around it for the galleria to become much of anything more than what it is for now, but it continues to have great potential.

So, I hate to start speculation, but we are working on some estimates for AG at crocker, and it appears there is going to be an upscale department store included that is currently not in Ohio. I'd love to spill all of the beans, but please understand that I cannot. Hopefully an announcement will be made by the end of the year.

So, I hate to start speculation, but we are working on some estimates for AG at crocker, and it appears there is going to be an upscale department store included that is currently not in Ohio. I'd love to spill all of the beans, but please understand that I cannot. Hopefully an announcement will be made by the end of the year.

I always appreciate your inside info but a dept. store at CP and AG moving fwd despite the sale is not good news to me or the city of Cleveland.

But I'm glad you guys are getting some work from it.

A Hallmark department store?? ;) No wait, Tommy Bahama! :o

But seriously, I would bet Neiman Marcus, but other possibilities are Gordmans, Carson's, Younkers, Belk and Boscov's (adding a store near Bellaire!).

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

I always appreciate your inside info but a dept. store at CP and AG moving fwd despite the sale is not good news to me or the city of Cleveland.

But I'm glad you guys are getting some work from it.

I agree with you. I'd much rather the store be within the City, particularly downtown. And I do wish AG would reconsider downtown as well, but that's for another thread..

If this is true my guess is Von Maur since it appears to be the one department store nationwide that seems to be expanding rather than contracting.  However, while many claim it is an "upscale" store I really don't know how true that is.  I know MTS would probably laugh hysterically at that classification.  It certainly is not in the Saks, NM league or any where close.

I certainly cannot see it being Bloomingdales or NM (neither of which has an Ohio store) since Bloomingdale seems to be actually closing stores (I think they just closed one in Atlanta that became a Von Maur) and I cannot believe either one of those two would locate so far away from the far east side.

Von Mari has been speculated for Crocker in the past, and that would be my guess. However, Von Maur is already in Ohio, so unless that "not in Ohio" part of the clue is wrong, it is not Von Maur...

And either Bloomingdales or Neiman-Marcus, based on demographics and location and existing upscale retailers, would almost certainly focus east before west, if they were to hit CLE.(Not saying west isn't worthy... merely saying retailers play the odds and go where similar retailers are already established...)

Maybe there was location confusion on Von Maur? Still my bet. Nothing else fits... (oh, wait - I changed my mind... see below)  if not Von Maur and not the other two mentioned, I can't think of another that matches description. Unless either "upscale" or "department store" are loosely used....

ahh good guess with L&T, that would be fine and it fits upscale just under the wire!

i'd rather my lower rung non-usa chain choices tho, just because they would be more popular and unique.

With Apple leaving Legacy Village - there has been a very noticeable decrease in cars in Legacy lot during the weekday hours when I regularly grab lunch there.  Not sure what they have planned for new additions there, other than Ethan Allen and Granite City Brewery (both this Fall) - but they need a definite traffic driver. I have to think (with Apple always have 20-30 people in store + employees) they are losing 300-500+ customers/cars a day or more at Legacy - plus the spinoff business from those hitting other stores.

Then, at Eton, they must have adopted plan B of parking remedy when Tiffany opened two weeks ago - on top of Apple changes (to get employees out of lot, parking down the street at Stark-owned corner office building) because what was once a lot in which it was hard to find a space is now (from my daily commute by lot) one with dozen or even 100+ prime spaces during dinner hours.  I realize September is a hard month to read - with kids back to school, not quite shopping season, etc... but ast night at 7, and prior days/nights, you could have rolled a bowling ball from Bravo to Paladar and not hit much.  Pre-Apple, or even a month or so ago, you couldn't have easily found a close space in the main/front lot during same periods. Now, have your pick.  If Eton is still losing customers over perceived parking issues, it appears it is no longer the case.

Pretty awesome news here. Topman/Topshop will be cominng to town! While sadly not a full store, they will have sections opening in Nordstrom at Beachwood Place. No firmly set date yet, but the sales girl said mid-October is the time frame. So excited for this :D

And should be noted that Beachwood Nordstrom is one of about 20 stores (out of around 120 full line stores) that will have Topman and one of 40 or so with Topshop. Nearest stores with either are NYC/PHL and CHI - no OH, IND, etc...

Oct 4 is announced opening.

BOOM, you guys feel free to go back a page or two and peer into my clairvoyance:)

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/09/heinens_plans_downtown_clevela.html#incart_flyout_news

Heinen's plans downtown Cleveland grocery store, staking out corner of former Ameritrust complex

"Developer Greg Geis confirmed that he is finalizing a 15-year lease with Heinen's and hopes to open the market, and the rest of the rehabbed complex, in fall 2014. That will make Heinen's downtown's first -- and likely only, in the near term -- major grocer, as the local company bets on continued residential growth in the center city.

The store will fill the first two floors of the historic Rotunda and the first floor of the neighboring Swetland Building, at 1010 Euclid Ave."

Mark my words: they will emulate the Walgreens in Wicker Park, Chicago, to some degree and watch the store become a tourist attraction in the same way.

Yep, let's keep the comments about the downtown Heinen's in the Bruer-Rotunda thread.

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Let us know when you hear about them moving into 117th and Clifton!

Giant Eagle is moving there.

Is that confirmed?

Yes.

Did I miss something?  Is there a link that confirms Giant Eagle is leasing space there?

I go to Fitworks all the time. Their hours suck but they are way cheaper than Titans. And what will their prices be when the competition next door closes? They are already $15 a month more than Fitworks.

I can assure you that our prices will not increase.  As a matter of fact, we are offering some great deals for FW people to come over.  We are open 24 hrs a day/ 7 days a week and have a larger facility then anyone in DT Cleveland.  Please stop in and check us out

titangeoff, thanks for your post - we do ask that if you are the proprietor or an employer of a business that you identify yourself as such. Welcome to the forum.

I think he made it pretty clear he worked for Titans.

titangeoff, I did in fact stop by Titans recently and they quoted me a price that is comparable to Fitworks. I haven't joined yet, but I likely will. Thanks.

Just to clarify - if someone is posting on behalf of a business, we ask that they identify themselves as a representative, employee, proprietor, owner, etc. - more of a 'in full disclosure' thing if that makes sense.

My apologies.  I was on this site a while ago as "Tripspapa" and had to change a couple things around and lost all my log in info.  So, yes, I am both a representative and owner of Titans Gym.  I hope to frequent these pages a little more often as it has been sometime since my last log in and I used this site for a lot of research before I opened Cleveland.  I love this town and hope to be able to add more to it!  Thanks

"Eton Parking Woes" - in today's Sun hard copy paper:

http://www.cleveland.com/chagrin-valley/index.ssf/2013/09/parking_woes_at_eton_chagrin_b.html

Essentially says Stark owns all but one building from Eton to Brainard (Other than Alson's, I'd assume) - and to look for "parking" expansion though wisdom says it will be new stores/parking....

NOTE: another nail in Downtown's retail coffin

Steelyard Commons phase two construction will start soon, after Cuyahoga County OKs bond issue

Site work will start within weeks for the second phase of Steelyard Commons, a large shopping center in Cleveland's industrial valley. Developer Mitchell Schneider plans to add 90,000 square feet of stores, including a Burlington Coat Factory set to open by late October 2014.

(Marvin Fong, The Plain Dealer)Print  By Michelle Jarboe McFee, The Plain Dealer The

Plain Dealer

Email the author | Follow on Twitter

on September 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM, updated September 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM      Email 

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Developer Mitchell Schneider expects to start construction next month on the long-stalled second phase of Steelyard Commons, a large shopping center in Cleveland's industrial valley.

On Tuesday, Cuyahoga County Council agreed to issue $5 million worth of taxable economic development bonds -- the last critical underpinning for the $20 million project. Schneider expects to close on his financing in mid-October and start work right away, with hopes of finishing buildings for Burlington Coat Factory and other retailers just over a year later.

Anchored by a Walmart Supercenter, Target and Home Depot, Steelyard Commons opened in 2007, just as a brutal recession set in. Since then, Schneider has inked deals with freestanding restaurants but has struggled to bring phase two to fruition.

"The recession basically killed the growth of every national retail chain in the country," Schneider said Friday. "Burlington had expressed interest, and they were one of the few stores that were growing. The economics of the lease are not very strong economics. We decided it would be worth it to get this thing moving, even though the economics wouldn't be justified on a totally privately financed basis."

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/09/steelyard_commons_phase_two_co.html#incart_river#incart_m-rpt-2

^Wasn't Wal-mart supposed to kill off Dave's supermarkets in town as well? 

I can't see how an Aldi's, a mattress store and a Burlington coat factory at Steelyard commons discourage retailers from opening downtown.  They are different markets. 

^Agreed. None of these Phase II stores were likely to open a store downtown anytime soon. And Villa already has a store downtown. This development serves the inner neighborhood s of Cleveland and gives it much needed tax dollars. I think the positives offset the negatives in this regard.

I think the recent retail growth of Cleveland proper is amazing considering where things were 10 years ago.