Steele05

Cleveland: Retail News

I suppose there's not really a good place to post this, but since the recent discussion is about the 5th Street Arcades... the Fitworks is closing as of Sept. 7th. Signs posted all over the place.

That's suprising.

Also I noticed a massive Menchies advertisement in the Warehouse District. Weird since they don't have any nearby locations that I know of, although I did hear a rumor they are opening in the Langston.

I suppose there's not really a good place to post this, but since the recent discussion is about the 5th Street Arcades... the Fitworks is closing as of Sept. 7th. Signs posted all over the place.

I'm gonna -glass half full- this one and say Fitworks closing will be a positive development for the 5th Street Arcades. It's a pretty bare bones facility and the hours they keep aren't the most convenient. It's a "large space" by Arcade standards and is right inside one of the Euclid Ave. entrances, so I can see whatever moves in acting as an anchor of sorts.

And regarding Menchies - the local franchises are owned by Bob Stark and his team/family... so they often are present in his developments, including Eton (which was a top 5 store in the chain at one point last year, I know), Crocker and others.

And regarding Menchies - the local franchises are owned by Bob Stark and his team/family... so they often are present in his developments, including Eton (which was a top 5 store in the chain at one point last year, I know), Crocker and others.

Well that makes sense. It is on the side of his building!

I'm gonna -glass half full- this one and say Fitworks closing will be a positive development for the 5th Street Arcades. It's a pretty bare bones facility and the hours they keep aren't the most convenient. It's a "large space" by Arcade standards and is right inside one of the Euclid Ave. entrances, so I can see whatever moves in acting as an anchor of sorts.

I'm surprised. There's always people in there when I'm in there at lunch time (BTW, the Fifth Street Arcade is my favorite lunchtime spot downtown). I hope a new fitness joint with better hours opens up. Not that I'm going to use it since I don't workout! But I hate seeing empty storefronts.

"Most of us have been conditioned to regard military combat as exciting and glamorous -- an opportunity for men to prove their competence and courage. Since armies are legal, we feel that war is acceptable; in general, nobody feels that that war is criminal or that accepting it is a criminal attitude. In fact, we have been brainwashed. War is neither glamorous nor attractive. It is monstrous. Its very nature is one of tragedy and suffering" --Dalai Lama

I'm surprised. There's always people in there when I'm in there at lunch time (BTW, the Fifth Street Arcade is my favorite lunchtime spot downtown). I hope a new fitness joint with better hours opens up. Not that I'm going to use it since I don't workout! But I hate seeing empty storefronts.

Already has, it's called Titan's.

^I was going to say that was likely the case.  Titan's is actually on the street level along Prospect.  This has probably helped them attract people, along with their more involved marketing, via Twitter, Facebook and Foursquare.  If you checked in anywhere downtown in the 6 months after they opened it seemed like they had a message promoting themselves.

I'm rarely down at that end of the arcade. Except on the rare occasion when I'm walking from work to a game at the Q or Prog, that's the only time I'd be over there. Otherwise it's just parking lots.

"Most of us have been conditioned to regard military combat as exciting and glamorous -- an opportunity for men to prove their competence and courage. Since armies are legal, we feel that war is acceptable; in general, nobody feels that that war is criminal or that accepting it is a criminal attitude. In fact, we have been brainwashed. War is neither glamorous nor attractive. It is monstrous. Its very nature is one of tragedy and suffering" --Dalai Lama

I go to Fitworks all the time. Their hours suck but they are way cheaper than Titans. And what will their prices be when the competition next door closes? They are already $15 a month more than Fitworks.

I go to Fitworks all the time. Their hours suck but they are way cheaper than Titans. And what will their prices be when the competition next door closes? Another $20 a month out of my pocket for a new gym.

There's a 24-hour gym down the street from me......

Anytime Fitness

11517 Clifton Boulevard

Cleveland, OH 44102

(216) 221-1712

anytimefitness.com‎

It will be a big fitness club, though. It fills the entire second floor of the hotel.

I assumed he was speaking of the mailer lol. The club is supposed to be extremely nice and they will be running a special at first for downtown residents to get the word out (from what I've heard by someone who is joining).

I guess this is a better thread for this. Giant Eagle Market District will be opening at Clifton and W.117/116.

This will be the second Market District Store in the Cleveland market.

Maybe that one will open before this one... not sure. But that's what I heard at City Hall yesterday.

And yes, just like the new Solon location.

There's a fitness center opening in the Flats East Bank hotel. Got a mailer for it last week.

I assume the Parker Hannifin Y at the Galleria will also have a fitness center

I guess this is a better thread for this. Giant Eagle Market District will be opening at Clifton and W.117/116.

This will be the second Market District Store in the Cleveland market.

a half mile from their other store?  And where is that going to fit?

^yeah...that makes no sense...who is the source (plus if the store is as big as the new Solon Market District store if will take up almost the whole block...what about parking...this does not sound like Giant Eagle's MO).

Is this new Giant Eagle on Clifton going where the old Rego's (or whatever it was) used to be? I thought someone told me that space was going to be a school or something.

There's a fitness center opening in the Flats East Bank hotel. Got a mailer for it last week.

I assume the Parker Hannifin Y at the Galleria will also have a fitness center

Yes, the Y will be moving from its current location on Prospect.

Market Districts vary wildly in size. I've been to most of them and none are alike. The Shadyside one is very urban and is the size of a regular Giant Eagle store. Others are mammoth but they seem to be building smaller ones these days like in Solon. That one falls in the middle when compared to others. There's also a new Market District Express concept. The first one is opening near Columbus. Since its in the early planning, I'm not sure what it will have or how it will vary from Giant Eagle Express stores and NEO doesn't even have that GE concept yet.

The new Tiffany store opened at Eton today. It has the lamest, most pathetic, most second rate assortment of products I have ever seen at the dozens of Tiffany stores I've visited... Uhhhh... the assortment leaves a lot to be desired... That sounds more polite... But if you like lots of silver... and tiny little diamonds, I've found the store for you...

Market Districts vary wildly in size. I've been to most of them and none are alike. The Shadyside one is very urban and is the size of a regular Giant Eagle store. Others are mammoth but they seem to be building smaller ones these days like in Solon. That one falls in the middle when compared to others. There's also a new Market District Express concept. The first one is opening near Columbus. Since its in the early planning, I'm not sure what it will have or how it will vary from Giant Eagle Express stores and NEO doesn't even have that GE concept yet.

I try to avoid Giant Eagle in general, for numerous reasons.

But from what I've heard from others, the consensus is "they are trying to be Heinens and falling well short".

5th street arcades adds several new retailers, nears 100 percent occupancy

The historic Colonial and Euclid Arcades in downtown Cleveland suffered from 40 percent vacancy last year, yet this year they added a slew of new shops and have gone from half-empty to nearly completely full.

Renamed the 5th Street Arcades, the once-moribund properties have been turned around by Dick Pace of Cumberland Development, who has breathed new life into the spaces by luring entrepreneurial tenants with fresh concepts and excitement about downtown.

http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/devnews/5thstreetarcades082913.aspx

This has been one of the most exciting developments Downtown in years, but it's happened mostly quietly.  I hope they make a lot more noise about it, because I want to see these entrepreneurs do well.

^ speaking about that; Pour, the coffee shop on the Euclid side, is building out their interior.  I would guess they will be open middle of next month.  Also, there will be a tea shop inside, opening in Sept. but I can't remember when.

By the way...what is the status of the Galleria now?

The YMCA is moving in some time, eventually. I hope it's a really great branch like in Lakewood.

i didnt go in the galleria last time i was home for a visit, but i walked by and it looked alive and well. good to hear of it being redeveloped for these new uses.